HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Lockout in NY, BOS, PHI, CHI, and DET

Old
11-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
That might be because you have all the teams to talk about

Yankees, Mets, Net, Knicks, Jets, Giants, and probably some talk about NJ teams
With the Nets in Brooklyn the only NJ team is the Devils now. Unless you want to open the whole Jets/Giants in New Jersey debate, there's zero talk about New Jersey teams right now.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

No one really cares. Its the same reaction whether the NHL is playing or not playing. A small segment follows the NHL in the fall. If the NHL didn't play this season and next season,some people won't even notice. In NY,the baseball teams get most of the attention. The NFL teams get the rest of the attention. The winter teams have to be playing well to get any attention.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Pittsburgh has the Pirates, Steelers, Penguins and then Riverhouds. I'd say that by coverage it goes;

Steelers >>>>>>> Penguins >>> Pirates >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Riverhounds

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
rkhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarassmentPanda View Post
I hear a decent buzz about it in Stl. It gets the occasional mention on the radio and news but mostly just to update on whats going on. I know a ton of hockey fans though so maybe it's just in my circles that I hear it frequently discussed.
I'd think StL would miss it most since the Rams suck and they have no NBA.

I don't know or see why Boston is different than the masses.
Back in 2004 when I was there nobody cared at all on the lockout.
When I read Boston.com or ESPN Boston it's not much different than reading ESPN NY or the NY Post.
Little coverage, hardly missed, plenty to keep busy.

I don't buy the Celtics not getting coverage as they have made the back page and are supposed to be a champ team contender.

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:31 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Nobody care's in Detroit. Too busy caring about Lions and how bad they are. Detroit only become's a hockey town if the Wings are still playing in May.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

Not too many people in western Mass seem to notice. Was walking to the local store with my bruins jacket and was asked how they were doing. Havent seen/heard to much out here. Patriots own the airwaves.

Last edited by Mongo: 11-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

It maybe gets a short radio blurb or token interview once a week on the radio in Philly. 95% of the coverage is about the Eagles. "Who will replace Andy Reid?" [It's already assumed he's fired] "Is Nick Foles the QB of the future?" Etc. The Sixers are actually playing and they barely get covered.

They've had a couple interviews with former players or Flyers commentators. Interviewers seem to pander to the viewpoint of whoever they're interviewing, but that's no surprise. It's not exactly meant to be hard hitting coverage, just a token five minutes every now and then.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Htom Sirveaux
the h isn't silent

vCash: 133
Local TV sports news in StL rarely mention the Blues. They may give the lockout a 30 second blurb after covering the Cardinals, Rams, MU Tigers, and even high school football.

The CBS affiliate interviewed Bob Costas last night and asked him about pro sports in StL but the interviewer omitted the Blues, focusing instead on the Rams and Cards. Costas went out of his way to reference the Blues and made a joke about their record being 0-0-0 well into Dec.

Local sports radio mentions it more, though that probably has to do with the amount of air-time they have to fill. You can only talk about the Cardinals new alternate uniform for so long.

Htom Sirveaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Although Quebec City has no NHL team (yet), today, there were about 6 pages in the newspapers about football and maybe not even one page about the lockout. It used to take 3-4 pages, but over the last month it seems to have been covered less and less in newspapers. Right now, what gets the most coverage it seems is Rouge et Or CIS football, the NFL and the QMHJL. NHL and CFL are far behind (although not as much as basketball). Baseball (MLB and CANAM) usually gets decent coverage, but now that the seasons are over, I only saw some short-lived coverage of the Blue Jays trade and some talk about the Return of the Expos. When there's an NHL season, everyday except the days before and during the Super Bowl, the sports section of newspapers usually have 12-15 pages just for hockey and about 4 for the Montreal Canadiens (and since TVA Sports opened, an extra page for Sens)

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Pittsburgh has the Pirates, Steelers, Penguins and then Riverhouds. I'd say that by coverage it goes;

Steelers >>>>>>> Penguins >>> Pirates >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Riverhounds
Why even bother mentioning the Riverhounds? They're a third tier soccer team in an eastern city with a limited first/second generation immigrant population...you're better off mentioning college sports. Hell, far more people actively hate the Power than even know the Riverhounds exist.

And there aren't that many >s between the Steelers and Penguins anymore...and there's more between the Penguins and Pirates.

The Steelers are definitely dominating the news in Pittsburgh during the lockout, but there's a decent amount of coverage on the lockout...at least from reading the Post-Gazette online. If the lockout is still going once football season is over then Pittsburgh will get very ill-tempered about the situation.

In Los Angeles all good will created by winning the Stanley Cup was flushed down the drain. Coverage is non-existent.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
And there aren't that many >s between the Steelers and Penguins anymore...and there's more between the Penguins and Pirates.

In Los Angeles all good will created by winning the Stanley Cup was flushed down the drain. Coverage is non-existent.
Pixberg Stillers >>> Penwyns >>>>> Pierits... fixed.

and ya. 45 years in Los Angeles. Finally, FINALLY
something to crow about and they shut it down.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I'm surprised at how little this is being discussed in Montreal now. I suppose a lot of it has to do with most casual Habs fans not thrilled with the potential of the current squad to make the playoffs, so there's generally less interest in hockey overall, but it's still kind of interesting to see. Montreal's pretty *** boring without hockey tbh - sports wise.

I'm just following some AHL games, and then the Knicks/Giants like I suppose most NY'ers are.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:57 AM
patnyrnyg

In NY, doesn't seem like anyone cares. Giants are defending Champs and in first place. Jets are their usual 3-ring circus. Knicks and Nets are both off to great starts. I'm a Rangers season ticket holder and at this point, I don't really care.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:30 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

I live up in Northern Vermont centrally located 2.5 hours between Boston and Montreal. I'm in the sphere of influence of Both and virtually no one says a peep about the lockout. Like a poster above I more often than not get asked, "How the B's are doing this year?". Now that I've "locked out" my B's gear it never even comes up in conversation.

Last edited by SpokedLightning: 11-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.
SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
KingsFan7824

The two sides just spent a week not talking. The whole thing just keeps dragging on, slowly, day by day, with little new information. The NHL isn't usually the first topic of conversation, and then you add that they're now not playing games.

What's there to discuss? Nobody likes talking about CBA issues, even if they're all up to speed on every detail. That there isn't really even a negotiation going on only compounds the problem.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:15 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
No one really cares. Its the same reaction whether the NHL is playing or not playing. A small segment follows the NHL in the fall. If the NHL didn't play this season and next season,some people won't even notice. In NY,the baseball teams get most of the attention. The NFL teams get the rest of the attention. The winter teams have to be playing well to get any attention.
Sad but true and NY has one of the more loyal hockey fanbases. It only gets worse in most other US cities.

But yes people in the GTA are becoming indifferent. It feels so different compared to the last lockout.

I hope both parties keep burning this gongshow down. With any luck some of these owners will end up worse off then before.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:02 PM
rkhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I'm surprised at how little this is being discussed in Montreal now. I suppose a lot of it has to do with most casual Habs fans not thrilled with the potential of the current squad to make the playoffs, so there's generally less interest in hockey overall, but it's still kind of interesting to see. Montreal's pretty *** boring without hockey tbh - sports wise.

I'm just following some AHL games, and then the Knicks/Giants like I suppose most NY'ers are.
That's exactly why I don't buy the Bruins fans talking about how the Celtics aren't covered but their hockey team is dearly missed.

I've read Boston.com and ESPN Boston and the Bruins are rarely mentioned. In 2004 nobody seemed to notice. Some of their fans here are really in the bubble and so jealous of the Celtics they will skew and project their take as Bruins fans onto the market at large.

This thread was mainly about traditionally big, popular, 4 sport markets and it appears all of them don't care much and are doing just swell.

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:49 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Detroit media isn't terribly involved. They at least have a sports segment with "virtual hockey games" between the Red Wings and whoever they were meant to be playing that day, and they spend a bit of time on it.

Other than that, they don't have much to talk about so it isn't.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
goyotes

In Phoenix there's ah.... Oh, wait... talk about the NHL???? Nevermind.

* The local Fox Sports station is playing "Coyote" classics every Tuesday night, so there is some hockey coverage...but not much.

Last edited by goyotes: 11-20-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: I can't spel
goyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:56 PM
digdug41982

Chicago- Yeah, basically what others have said in the other big cities, minimal coverage, a lot of apathy, some anger but really nobody cares that much.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
In Phoenix there's ah.... Oh, wait... talk about the NHL???? Nevermind.

* The local Fox Sports station is playing "Coyote" classics every Tuesday night, so there is some hockey coverage...but not much.
I was watching Coyotes Classics the other week at a bar in northern NJ haha.. Totally random that it was on

In north NJ, yeah not much NHL talk but with 2 NFL teams, hockey doesn't get much coverage until the new year anyway.. People I talk to seem to know there is a lockout but ask me for details and just sort of say "Well I hope it's back soon".. I know 2 people who really got into the Devils during our run but are like wtf with the lockout

In terms of media, I will say that the local paper (The Star Ledger, mainly covers the Devils, no dedicated Rangers writer) is providing steady updates on talks when they have something

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:08 PM
81ragnaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
That's exactly why I don't buy the Bruins fans talking about how the Celtics aren't covered but their hockey team is dearly missed.

I've read Boston.com and ESPN Boston and the Bruins are rarely mentioned. In 2004 nobody seemed to notice. Some of their fans here are really in the bubble and so jealous of the Celtics they will skew and project their take as Bruins fans onto the market at large.

This thread was mainly about traditionally big, popular, 4 sport markets and it appears all of them don't care much and are doing just swell.
Things were a universe different than what they are today in Boston back in 2004. Back then, the Bruins were nothing to this city, aside from the diehard fans. People had grown jaded to them. Jacobs was in his worst phase of ownership, people saw him as this cheap old miser. The team was led by what many saw was a heartless, go nowhere player. To many, the final straw was watching Ray Bourque request a trade to win elsewhere, after that most people gave up. So long as Jacobs was there nothing would change. But, Jacobs changed after the last lockout when he got his cost certainty. He spent to the cap year after year. They brought in players who worked hard, and a GM who works hard and cares about results, not $. And the fans came flocking back. This pinnacled in 2011 but started back in 2007 when they became a playoff team again and many who had left saw that the team management had changed. Gone were the days of Samsonov holdouts, and instead we saw the team get investigated for possibly cap circumvention for crying out loud. This team is as popular as they have been in my life, at least since my young childhood. You seem hell bent on ignoring the fact that people care now, but Rich Shertenlieb said himself on the radio today (during a lockout discussion, 98.5 The Sports Hub Toucher and Rich Show, sometime in the 730-745 time spot) that, "the Bruins and Celtics right now are neck and neck in popularity." Take that anyway you want, but you seem to be earmuffing all of these facts.

It's not that the Celtics aren't covered, they definitely are. But you seem to think it absurd that there is outcry here over the lockout, and let me assure you there is. If you don't believe me, spend a week here and find out for yourself.

81ragnaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:15 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Absolutely no one notices in NY. The only mention they get is the daily half-page article in the paper. Besides that, I probably only met one stranger who made conversation about the lockout since the lockout began.
I would disagree, because I tend to wear Ranger hats around NYC/Long Island and gets tons of comments about how there is no hockey. New York is a unique place because it is so big with so many different types of people who have various interests, however nobody should be under the impression that people in NY "don't care" there is a lockout -- From my experience, there are plenty of NYer's who seriously miss the Rangers and Islanders.

11-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I would disagree, because I tend to wear Ranger hats around NYC/Long Island and gets tons of comments about how there is no hockey. New York is a unique place because it is so big with so many different types of people who have various interests, however nobody should be under the impression that people in NY "don't care" there is a lockout -- From my experience, there are plenty of NYer's who seriously miss the Rangers and Islanders.
Of course there are, but when there are about 10 million people within NYC, it's pretty rare when you find someone talking about the lockout. Like I said earlier in the thread, I only met one person who mentioned the lockout, but that's just me.

11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I'd think StL would miss it most since the Rams suck and they have no NBA.
I don't know many people in St. Louis who think having a NBA team would be a good thing. Regarding the topic, I hear a few bits on the Blues and lockout from the local news and ESPN radio, but they don't cover it as much as the last lockout. Last time around, one of the local news stations would give updates about players and even show highlights from their video game league. I'd be going nuts if I wasn't still playing ice and roller hockey or if I didn't have season tickets to the Rams (which would be Blues season tickets if there was no threat of a lockout).

Last edited by Wiems35*: 12-23-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote