HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 All-Time Flames Players (#13)

View Poll Results: 13th greatest all-time Flames player?
Joel Otto 0 0%
Jim Peplinkski 0 0%
Doug Riseborough 0 0%
Tim Hunter 0 0%
Sergei Makarov 0 0%
Joey Mullen 7 25.00%
Paul Reinhart 9 32.14%
Brad McCrimmon 0 0%
Rejean Lemelin 0 0%
Alex Tanguay 0 0%
Phil Housley 2 7.14%
Dion Phaneuf 0 0%
Willi Plett 0 0%
Robert Reichel 0 0%
Robyn Regehr 0 0%
Jamie Macoun 0 0%
Mike Bullard 0 0%
Carey Wilson 0 0%
Cory Stillman 0 0%
Craig Conroy 7 25.00%
Colin Patterson 0 0%
Dan Quinn 0 0%
Daymond Langkow 0 0%
Fred Brathwaite 0 0%
German Titov 0 0%
John Tonelli 0 0%
Mike Cammalleri 0 0%
Nick Fotiu 0 0%
Rob Ramage 0 0%
Steve Konroyd 0 0%
Valeri Bure 0 0%
Martin Gelinas 0 0%
Tony Amonte 0 0%
Stephane Yelle 0 0%
Guy Chouinard 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
I disagree. Phoenix really hasn't honored any of the Jets. Carolina hasn't done so with the Whalers. Colorado hasn't with the Nords. The new Jets aren't really keeping the Thrashers history. I doubt many of us care about the Atlanta days. When I think of the Flames, I think of CALGARY.
I disagree, as this is the top Flames to pretend that Guy Chouinard wasn't one of the best Flames is a joke. Atlanta is our history of how we got the Flames but they were still the Flames.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:22 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Uh, you sure you did? His back injuries plagued him for most of his career - the pain just became unbearable near the end, forcing his retirement. The pain that he was in was quite obvious in some games - for someone who implies to have watched him play you seem to conveniently ignore the fact that he completely shied away from the physical aspect of the game as a result of these injury problems.

I didn't say that they made him worse, please don't put words into my mouth. I said the emergence of Suter & MacInnis relegated Reinhart to a secondary role with the team - because they were better.

Funny how you bring up points not being an issue, right after you use that as your claim that Reinhart was so much better than... anyone. If you thought by bringing in Housely the Flames were getting a Norris defenseman, that's on you. However, his offensive vision & hockey IQ was unmatched - possibly by any defenseman to ever play in Calgary, and yeah he was a sieve defensively but IMO he made up for it by his offensive contributions.

Look, I'm not saying Reinhart was a terrible player - and if that was the impression you get, that's not my intent. What I'm saying is that Reinhart could have been quite good had he not had injury troubles. That's kept him at "decent" in my mind. If he didn't have those problems, he most likely would have been a perennial all-star, but he did. Maybe it's my disappointment that he didn't evolve into that player which has tainted my view of him, I'll admit that. As a result of what he didn't contribute (just as much as what he did) I measure his impact to the team as less than Housley's impact.
Had back issues for most of his career yes, they only started affecting his game play towards the later half though. His first 4 seasons with the Flames were healthy, missing only a few games here and there. Those 4 seasons alone are enough to put him above Housley in my mind, considering he had better numbers than Housley ever did as a Flame. Who I might add was injured more often Than Reinhart was in his first stint here, only playing 102 games in his first 2 years here.

The fact you bring up Suter and MacInnis at all implies thats the point you're trying to make, if it not then why bring them up at all?

I never said points weren't an issue, I said Housley was only a point getter, while Reinhart put up MORE points and played way better defensively. When did I ever imply Housley was a Norris d-man what are you even talking about? His Hockey IQ might have been great, but in the seasons he played with the Flames, he just wasn't the same player he was in Buffalo and and Winnipeg, especially his second stint.

What exactly did Housley contribute? A bunch of 35-55 point seasons (only 5 in total) on a team that never amounted to anything. If he was as important as you say, he was a core player and should bare the responsibility of those teams not being so great as well.

Lets look at points:

Paul Reinharts totals as a Flame (Regular Season):

GP:517 G:109 A:337 P:446 PPG: .862

Phil Housley totals as a Flame (Regular Season):

GP: 328 G:50 A:188 P:238 PPG: .725

So Reinhart put up better numbers, and played more games than Housley AND was a far superior defender.

Thats without even including Reinharts impressive Playoff numbers:

GP:75 G:21 A:51 P:72 ~ Just shy of a point per game, with solid defense.

Housley only had the fortune of playing in 1 playoff with the Flames and was excellent, scoring 9 points in 7 games. This is however, a very small sample size.

Based on this, I don't see how Housley (although he had a better career) can be seen as a more meaningful Flame.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Based on this, I don't see how Housley (although he had a better career) can be seen as a more meaningful Flame.
Again, the only reason I make that claim is his impact. I think his presence here during the Young Guns / Dead Puck era kept the team challenging for a playoff spot instead of sitting in the basement. I think he was more important to the teams that he played on than Reinhart was, hence my claim. That's all.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Voted for Reinhart because I missed Mullen.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
If Craig Conroy gets in before Joe Mullen Im gonna laugh, wooo boy!

Cant believe people are advocating Housley over Reinhart either.

Im gonna assume age of the posters must have something to do with it.

That's like putting Gretzky #1 on the all time Blues list.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Cant believe people are advocating Housley over Reinhart either.

Im gonna assume age of the posters must have something to do with it.

That's like putting Gretzky #1 on the all time Blues list.
This was how good Reinhart was....even at the end of his career, he was still good enough to carry a no-talent team to a playoff spot (and I'm obviously not talking about the Flames).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote