HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Good to see Maguire get a win and play well. I was getting slightly worried about how often he was going to play since BU's other freshman goalie got off to a hot start and had started 6 of the team's 8 games before tonight and Maguire was pulled in his 1st start and lost his second (though he played a solid game.) BU was 5-1 in non-Maguire starts before this win.

With no NHL, this is what it's come to, worrying a bit whether a freshman 4th-rounder will get enough playing time this season.

Anyone know what's up with Scott Wilson? Only 1 pt through 8 games this year after being a ppg his freshman year. Did UMass-Lowell lose some good players? Team only has 13 goals total this year.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:30 AM
wej20

No Idea what's up with Wilson, they only lost two of their top 6 scorers (4th and 6th), they still have their most productive offensive dmen and their starting goalie from last year.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
No Idea what's up with Wilson, they only lost two of their top 6 scorers (4th and 6th), they still have their most productive offensive dmen and their starting goalie from last year.
Sophomore slump?

Old
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Sophomore slump?
maybe, too many frat parties?

Old
11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Burgs

My guess is that the RiverHawks overachieved last season, partly because in the first few months no one took them seriously after the horrendous 5 win season they had the year before. Now they, and especially Wilson as Hockey East Freshmen of the Year, are being played harder. The team also had a pretty tough schedule to start the year.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Burgs

Wheeling got a 1-6 drubbing at Toledo last night. Killeen allowed 6 goals on just 23 shots. Amazingly enough, Carl Sneep finished a +1 and had a fight as well.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Jacob

With the WJCs coming up in about 5 weeks I wondered if anyone had any idea if Zlobin had a chance to make Russia's squad. Bleuger, Maatta and Harrington are locks and Zlobin is the only one that I'm not sure about.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
With the WJCs coming up in about 5 weeks I wondered if anyone had any idea if Zlobin had a chance to make Russia's squad. Bleuger, Maatta and Harrington are locks and Zlobin is the only one that I'm not sure about.

I was wondering this as well and checked the topic on the Russian board and their most recent guess at lines there had Zlobin playing on a line with Grigorenko. Seeing that they also played together some during the Russia/CHL series makes me think the staff wanted to see how they looked together in preparation of them playing together at the WJC's. I hope Zlobin makes it on the team and plays with Grigorenko for the years worth of additional hand-wringing it will bring to the Pouliot pick.

Also, 3 more points for Zlobin today, 2 goals and an assist.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Gumbercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I was wondering this as well and checked the topic on the Russian board and their most recent guess at lines there had Zlobin playing on a line with Grigorenko. Seeing that they also played together some during the Russia/CHL series makes me think the staff wanted to see how they looked together in preparation of them playing together at the WJC's. I hope Zlobin makes it on the team and plays with Grigorenko for the years worth of additional hand-wringing it will bring to the Pouliot pick.

Also, 3 more points for Zlobin today, 2 goals and an assist.
I was at the game today, Zlobin was pretty good. Clearly Val d'Or's best player, but was overshadowed a bit by Jonathan Drouin for Halifax (who is deservedly seeing his draft stock skyrocket). Tough for him to shine overall though as Halifax was clearly the better team. First goal was a breakaway, deked around a pokecheck and slid it 5-hole on his back hand, second goal was a one timer from the faceoff circle on the PP and the assist was a pass from the corner cross crease for a one timer.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Jacob

Nice nice. I hope he makes it, it's been a while since we had 4 players t the tournament.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

I saw Zlobin play on Friday. His skill was evident, but his defence left a bit to be desired.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Would the whole NCAA eligibility thing affect Blueger now that he's in college? If he wants to go to the WJCs he has to pay for airfare and hotel right? Might be pretty expensive for a college kid. I bet he'll go, but that just occurred to me.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Would the whole NCAA eligibility thing affect Blueger now that he's in college? If he wants to go to the WJCs he has to pay for airfare and hotel right? Might be pretty expensive for a college kid. I bet he'll go, but that just occurred to me.
I'm pretty sure National Team stuff falls into a different set of guidelines. I could be wrong since there a million different rules for NCAA eligibility but if a athlete plays for a national team, the rules allow for the stuff that goes along with it (transportation, lodging, etc.)

Old
11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm pretty sure National Team stuff falls into a different set of guidelines. I could be wrong since there a million different rules for NCAA eligibility but if a athlete plays for a national team, the rules allow for the stuff that goes along with it (transportation, lodging, etc.)
Interesting. I really have no clue how any of that works

Old
11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Jacob

I'm not sure who'd pay for it.. I assume Latvia would (possibly via jersey ads or endorsements). Either way it's an amateur tournament so Bleuger will definitely be there.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
The majority of the players that make the USA World Junior team are NCAA players. So the answer to your question is no.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:52 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Myles Bell has played the same amount of games and Bell has 7 points more then Pouliot, Pulock and klichton has 1 more game played but has 3 and 4 points more than Pouliot. And thats only players from WHL.
Myles Bell has been playing wing this year and not defense

Old
11-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

International competitions such as the World Juniors are amateur events and don't effect anything when it comes to NCAA status. I believe it would be Latvia's hockey association paying for air and rooms and whatnot.

For those who remember the Jeremy Bloom situation - it wasn't his Olympics participation that the NCAA was being dicks about - it was his sponsors. Unless Latvia's U-20 team is sponsored by Mountain Dew that's not going to be an issue.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Sivek

UMass Lowell scored 8 goals tonight after posting 13 the previous 7 games. Wilson had a goal and 2 assists.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:34 AM
deakka

Quote:
UMass Lowell scored 8 goals tonight after posting 13 the previous 7 games. Wilson had a goal and 2 assists.
Good to hear. As stated earlier in the thread, im also a bit dissapointed in Wilsons production so far. But its hard to produce when your team are barely scoring at all i guss. Hope this is a turning point for them.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
I saw Zlobin play on Friday. His skill was evident, but his defence left a bit to be desired.
He was great defensively last year during the Memorial Cup, I think he is one of those guys that has a lot to improve in that aspect but when a game is on the line he is responsible defensively and makes sure to play a 2 way game. I think he will be part of Russia's team

Old
11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
He was great defensively last year during the Memorial Cup, I think he is one of those guys that has a lot to improve in that aspect but when a game is on the line he is responsible defensively and makes sure to play a 2 way game. I think he will be part of Russia's team
Yeah. I guess I would like to see a certain level of commitment (defense) on a consistent basis.

Last edited by Saving Greiss: 11-19-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Have you seen him a lot this year? If so, how's his skating?

Old
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
deakka

Is it just me or does Matt Murray seems to have lost the starting job? hes not played many games at all lately

Old
11-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Hanowski has been cleared, will play this weekend against UMD.

Closed Thread