HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Beleafer4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Shiny new toy. Rielly's a helluva prospect, but lets wait until he puts up 30 points his first season and is named to the NHL's All-Rookie Team or leads the AHL in scoring before crowning him.
I know, I love rielly (I actually wanted him pre-draft because I knew the habs were taking gally) and his play shows a massive amount of potential... but calm down for a second. Additionally, too many people are writing off gardiner. The kid is good. Great passing and great shot, and actually plays well (imo) defensively. And this is in the big leagues. I see gards getting 10G and 35 assists a year while being clutch (as he has shown many times with the leafs and marlies in his short pro career). Schultz is also another ridiculous talent who is very underrated by leafs fans.

I just want to see rielly in the NHL before I really get excited... With prospects you never know, there are always disappointments and surprises.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Shiny new toy. Rielly's a helluva prospect, but lets wait until he puts up 30 points his first season and is named to the NHL's All-Rookie Team or leads the AHL in scoring before crowning him.
Ok let's be hypothetical (I'll give you a scenario that could happen as a gm) you just drafted rielly, Burke approaches you and says, Gardiner for rielly, straight up, yes or no? Or the oilers approach you with the same offer, but instead obviously the return is Schultz. By your statement, then I'd assume you'd take the 30 point rookie, or the guy whose 22 and very early on is leading the ahl in scoring? Point is, I said people expect more, I didn't crown him anything... And if you wouldn't make these trades, and would keep rielly, then your in fact in agreement with my statement (as my statement reflects that).

So 7even:

Your the gm who just drafted rielly and have been given these two separate offers:

Oilers:
To your team: Schultz
To Edmonton: rielly

Toronto:
To your team: gardiner
To Toronto: rielly

Do you accept anyone of these offers?

Old
11-18-2012, 04:13 AM
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post

Oilers:
To your team: Schultz
To Edmonton: rielly

Do you accept anyone of these offers?
If I were Edmonton, no I don't take that offer.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Leafs03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I take it you will want the Leafs to trade him too.
at least he wont ***** our team up n walk like schults did to your ducks..

Old
11-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Ruah

when does Rielly play his next game?

Old
11-18-2012, 09:13 AM
shogun99

I'd take Reilly over Schultz. 4 years younger and even though Schultz is tearing up the AHL I think Reilly will be a special player, which pains me to say considering how much I hate the Leafs.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:39 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
And why the hell would Toronto take that offer?

Old
11-18-2012, 10:41 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Why is Rielly being compared to Schultz lol

How does that even happen

Old
11-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Why is Rielly being compared to Schultz lol

How does that even happen
Your not even a page away from the answer.

Read hemsky_83's comment. I don't really think its an unusual comparison at all though, especially by hfboards standards. But again if you read the post by hemsky, it's not a comparison of abilities, but hype. What's so unusual about the comparison? I actually think Schultz is a good comparison to rielly, both are offensive defensemen, with puck control and mobility as their strong point. In 5 years, it wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility at all for people to be still asking the question "whose better?".

Old
11-19-2012, 05:38 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
And why the hell would Toronto take that offer?
We wouldn't.

Similarly, if Edmonton was in our shoes and just drafted Rielly, they wouldn't trade him for Schultz.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

I'd take Schultz

Old
11-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
I'd take Schultz
Why? Imagine Rielly continues to progress for 4 more years. The Leafs take their time with him and dont put him in the NHL (even though many hockey experts say he is ready now) and keep him in the AHL. Do you honestly think a talent of Rielly's calibre wouldnt have as much success as Schultz this year in the AHL?

Old
11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Why? Imagine Rielly continues to progress for 4 more years. The Leafs take their time with him and dont put him in the NHL (even though many hockey experts say he is ready now) and keep him in the AHL. Do you honestly think a talent of Rielly's calibre wouldnt have as much success as Schultz this year in the AHL?
The problem is with prospects is you dont know how well theyre gonna progress. Riellys knee could give out on him or he could hit a developmental wall by then. Schultz is a VERY high end prospect just like Rielly, while being NHL ready and more polished.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
The problem is with prospects is you dont know how well theyre gonna progress. Riellys knee could give out on him or he could hit a developmental wall by then. Schultz is a VERY high end prospect just like Rielly, while being NHL ready and more polished.
I'm saying if Rielly steadily progresses over 4 years to get to the point Schultz is at in his development, Rielly would blow him out of the water. Obviously development isnt always linear though.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
I'm saying if Rielly steadily progresses over 4 years to get to the point Schultz is at in his development, Rielly would blow him out of the water. Obviously development isnt always linear though.
Blowing 20points in 14 AHL games out of the water will be mighty difficult even for Rielly. I dont think you are overvaluing rielly but maybe you are undervaluing schultz.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:06 PM
newfy

Quote:
That last sentence you put is the whole point though, it isnt linear. Schultz is already doing what Rielly is projected to do and has tore up in the NCAA as well. You take the more proven guy every time in this type of situation.

Not to say Rielly cant be as good as Schultz or better, but the chances of that are probably much lower than Rielly being wrose then him

Old
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

I don't think either team would make the trade. Schultz is the more polished of the two, and he's got a number of years of development on Rielly. Basically, he's the more NHL ready of the two, and Edmonton wants him sooner rather than later. For Toronto, Rielly has the upside advantage, and while Schultz might be safer at this point, Rielly certainly has the potential to be the better player(and probably by a fair margin).

Old
11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
That last sentence you put is the whole point though, it isnt linear. Schultz is already doing what Rielly is projected to do and has tore up in the NCAA as well. You take the more proven guy every time in this type of situation.

Not to say Rielly cant be as good as Schultz or better, but the chances of that are probably much lower than Rielly being wrose then him
That really isn't true at all. Schultz hasn't played a game yet in the NHL, and Rielly isn't exactly projected to be a terrific AHL player. The goal is, and always will be, for him to be a terrific NHL player, and that is something Schultz hasn't proven he can be yet.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:

I like Rielly's 'chances'.

Schultz is a good one though.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Blowing 20points in 14 AHL games out of the water will be mighty difficult even for Rielly. I dont think you are overvaluing rielly but maybe you are undervaluing schultz.
Agreed. A defenseman scoring at 1.4 PPG in one of the top 2 leagues in the world is no small feat

Old
11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. A defenseman scoring at 1.4 PPG in one of the top 2 leagues in the world is no small feat
...the NHL and the KHL?

Old
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
...the NHL and the KHL?
Exactly. I'd argue the SEL is better than the AHL as well.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
...the NHL and the KHL?
Oh cool, who played last night? Right... there is no NHL right now

Old
11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Oh cool, who played last night? Right... there is no NHL right now
Oh please. Your statement was an exaggeration of Schultz's accomplishments. Don't try to pretend otherwise. He's putting those numbers up in the AHL. It might be a better AHL than it was last season, but it's still the AHL.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:39 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Then you'd be crazy.

Closed Thread