HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Cam Ward or Carey Price

View Poll Results: Well
Ward 42 22.95%
Price 141 77.05%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And this is why Ward is overrated.
Your Ward obsession seems to be on-par (if not surpassing) your Luongo one. You always bring the same tired arguments against Ward and are consistently shut down.

I especially love it when you bring up something ridiculous to criticize him on and then balk when it's shown that it applies to Luongo as well...at which point you attempt to stumble around a shaky argument as to why it's not similar at all.

It's real simple with Ward. Those that don't watch him often simply don't see what kind of work he does and what kind of help he gets. The past couple years, he's been the most tested goaltender in the league...by far.

- He's faced over 4500 shots the past two years. To compare, the next closest was Price at just over 4000. Despite the absurd amount of shots against, he put up a .918 SV% during that time.

- In that same time span, Ward has played in 28 games where he's faced 40 or more shots. To put that in perspective, that means in about 1 out of every 5 games he started, he's facing 40 or more shots. To compare, that's more than Miller (8), Lundqvist (8), Quick (5), and Fleury (3)...combined. And again, it's the most in the league by a long shot.

I'm not sure why Ward gets consistently written off. Seems like everytime he steals a game (which he has to do often enough), the opposing fanbase always makes some comment about "Why does he only play like this against us?".

Maybe there's a communication issue between the rest of the league, but he does it against everybody. He has to. Take a look at the record of Carolina backups and/or Carolina's record when Ward was injured. If Ward was playing in New York, Montreal, Vancouver, wherehave you. Anywhere where he could get some national coverage, he'd be getting some Vezina bids annually.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
The Tree was happy.

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Price, just short of AINEC

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

So far in their careers Ward has proved a lot more, Price has a higher ceiling but right now i'd say it's real close but a little edge to Ward

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Hutzler

Price is right

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Your Ward obsession seems to be on-par (if not surpassing) your Luongo one. You always bring the same tired arguments against Ward and are consistently shut down.

I especially love it when you bring up something ridiculous to criticize him on and then balk when it's shown that it applies to Luongo as well...at which point you attempt to stumble around a shaky argument as to why it's not similar at all.

It's real simple with Ward. Those that don't watch him often simply don't see what kind of work he does and what kind of help he gets. The past couple years, he's been the most tested goaltender in the league...by far.

- He's faced over 4500 shots the past two years. To compare, the next closest was Price at just over 4000. Despite the absurd amount of shots against, he put up a .918 SV% during that time.

- In that same time span, Ward has played in 28 games where he's faced 40 or more shots. To put that in perspective, that means in about 1 out of every 5 games he started, he's facing 40 or more shots. To compare, that's more than Miller (8), Lundqvist (8), Quick (5), and Fleury (3)...combined. And again, it's the most in the league by a long shot.

I'm not sure why Ward gets consistently written off. Seems like everytime he steals a game (which he has to do often enough), the opposing fanbase always makes some comment about "Why does he only play like this against us?".

Maybe there's a communication issue between the rest of the league, but he does it against everybody. He has to. Take a look at the record of Carolina backups and/or Carolina's record when Ward was injured. If Ward was playing in New York, Montreal, Vancouver, wherehave you. Anywhere where he could get some national coverage, he'd be getting some Vezina bids annually.
That's not true at all. The only rebuttals I've seen are "ward is good Lolz" and "ward faces lots of shotty zzz" and they really don't address anything at all.

Cam Ward's average stats are just that, average. You don't realize how having more shots can also improve a goalies SVP? That means if he lets in a bad goal or two a game, he can still post a decent SVP because there's more shots to shelter that.

Ward gets overhyped because of the playoffs, yet he was blown out of the water in the last playoff series he played in. And if injuries or defense is an excuse for him why doesn't that apply to anyone else? Specifically to this thread Carey Price has dealt with a defense that got absolutely destroyed to injury yet posted better numbers.

11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
That's not true at all. The only rebuttals I've seen are "ward is good Lolz" and "ward faces lots of shotty zzz" and they really don't address anything at all.

Cam Ward's average stats are just that, average. You don't realize how having more shots can also improve a goalies SVP? That means if he lets in a bad goal or two a game, he can still post a decent SVP because there's more shots to shelter that.

Ward gets overhyped because of the playoffs, yet he was blown out of the water in the last playoff series he played in. And if injuries or defense is an excuse for him why doesn't that apply to anyone else? Specifically to this thread Carey Price has dealt with a defense that got absolutely destroyed to injury yet posted better numbers.
Ward has played in 7 playoff series and lost only 1 of them. He has played in Game 7 of a series 4 times and never lost. Getting run over by a team that boasted Malkin and Crosby, both having ELITE playoff runs together in perhaps the only time we will get to see that team of destiny make a run like that, is nothing at all to be embarrassed about. Losing to the eventual cup winners when the team in front of you has grinded out two series going 7 games is not even close to shameful. Prior to that series, Ward had a .927 save percentage and a sub 2.3 goals against in 14 games against two superior teams. Are you really going to look at a player that is 6-1 in playoff series and claim that the ONE loss is the true barometer of the player? A player that is undefeated in Game 7, when at the end of the rink across from him in those games included Ryan Miller, Martin Brodeur, and Tim Thomas?

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Ward has played in 7 playoff series and lost only 1 of them. He has played in Game 7 of a series 4 times and never lost. Getting run over by a team that boasted Malkin and Crosby, both having ELITE playoff runs together in perhaps the only time we will get to see that team of destiny make a run like that, is nothing at all to be embarrassed about. Losing to the eventual cup winners when the team in front of you has grinded out two series going 7 games is not even close to shameful. Prior to that series, Ward had a .927 save percentage and a sub 2.3 goals against in 14 games against two superior teams. Are you really going to look at a player that is 6-1 in playoff series and claim that the ONE loss is the true barometer of the player? A player that is undefeated in Game 7, when at the end of the rink across from him in those games included Ryan Miller, Martin Brodeur, and Tim Thomas?
If not for Brodeur's implosion in game 7 of the EQF in 2009, Ward wouldn't have won a single playoff round that year. Also funny how you somehow think mentioning the other teams goalie makes Ward's feat impressive...it doesn't. In fact, Ward went to 7 games in the SCF opposite Jussi Markkanen. Shouldn't he have been able to win that before 7 games? That's how ridiculous that argument is. Ward's 0.908SVP against Boston in the series before getting shelled by Pittsburgh doesn't look too impressive either.

I know other goalies who post great numbers before getting blown out at the end of playoff runs who are dubbed "chokers" yet that label doesn't apply to Ward? It's all on Ward that his team is 6-1 in playoff series with him in net, yet when we talk about other goalies then wins becomes a team stat?

A 2.74GAA and a 0.915SVP this year doesn't scream top 5 goalie at all. I really really am baffled as to why people think so highly of him. He isn't that good. Plain and simple.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:

What part of Carolina's defense are you seeing that makes you believe Ward is facing sheltered shots?

That's absolutely mind-blowing.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Pauser, how many times did you watch Ward last season in a game that did not feature the Canucks?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Plante

O lawd. Can any of you people actually judge goaltending skill or do you just judge on accomplishments?

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Carey Price but it's close. Ward is a solid goalie as well and doesn't never had much help from the defense in these last couple of years in Carolina

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
O lawd. Can any of you people actually judge goaltending skill or do you just judge on accomplishments?
Price is winning a very large margin... it seems like people can judge simply by skill.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ward's 0.908SVP against Boston in the series before getting shelled by Pittsburgh doesn't look too impressive either.
You know what did look impressive? The skill he showed in posting that .908 against a 1-seed that scored the second-most goals in the league that year.

If all you remember of that run is a number, I seriously doubt you watched the games. Ward was brilliant in that series. Go find some Bruins fans, they'll back it up.

Quote:
I know other goalies who post great numbers before getting blown out at the end of playoff runs who are dubbed "chokers" yet that label doesn't apply to Ward?
And I can think of one big silver difference between Ward and the goalie you're thinking of.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

LOL, he does that with Miller too.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I have a personal hatred for Cam Ward. Once said in an interview in 06 that beating Brodeur was more special than winning the Stanley Cup, and Conn Smythe which is absurd. So I'll try not to let it cloud my judgement. I might lean towards Price, but I don't think it's as lopsided at the poll looks.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I have a personal hatred for Cam Ward. Once said in an interview in 06 that beating Brodeur was more special than winning the Stanley Cup, and Conn Smythe which is absurd. So I'll try not to let it cloud my judgement. I might lean towards Price, but I don't think it's as lopsided at the poll looks.
That actually makes me like him a little more.

To me it says that part of being the best is beating the best.

If anything, it should be viewed as a compliment to Brodeur.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
RogerRoeper*

Price.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
That actually makes me like him a little more.

To me it says that part of being the best is beating the best.

If anything, it should be viewed as a compliment to Brodeur.
Exactly. You have to remember that Ward was a rookie that year, and IIRC, was always a big fan of Brodeur. So to compete against (and eventually beat) an idol of yours has to be special. Especially when it's one of the better goalies in league history.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I don't blame the guy at all for being happy to beat Brodeur, but better than the Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup? I'd say beating Brodeur was the icing, and the cake was winning it all.

Obviously it's more understandable than Niemi saying he beat some jabroni like Leighton LOL. And no Niemi didn't really say that either. Just making a crack.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I don't blame the guy at all for being happy to beat Brodeur, but better than the Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup? I'd say beating Brodeur was the icing, and the cake was winning it all.

Obviously it's more understandable than Niemi saying he beat some jabroni like Leighton LOL. And no Niemi didn't really say that either. Just making a crack.
I agree that's not a knock on Ward, and kinda makes me like him a bit more as a Canadiens fan (no, not because I hate Brodeur for owning us all these years). But can you imagine the classless comments if Price said that?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Price AINEC....

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote