HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamrlik, Roman

Old
11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
NHLFreak

vCash: 500
Hamrlik, Roman

Where does he fit in in terms of mins per game if there is a season this year?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:51 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

4th on the Caps depth chart, at least when Green's healthy (yeah, yeah, the jokes write themselves)? Alzner/Carlson/Green should be comfortably above him.

How they breaks down in terms of minutes is hard to say, though. Too much uncertainty wrt coaching philosophies with an all new staff.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Foy

I forgot he was on the team.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I forgot there was a team.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:12 AM
txpd

at this point i would say that its likely that hamrlik has played his final capitals game already

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
at this point i would say that its likely that hamrlik has played his final capitals game already
Word.
I don't think he's gonna beat both Cam Schilling and Tomas Kundratek to a spot in 2013 assuming he's re-signed. So I don't think he's gonna be re-signed. Huge competition at LD: Alzner, Orlov, Schlling, Kundratek, Schultz all should be in the organization come next season.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Caps Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Word.
I don't think he's gonna beat both Cam Schilling and Tomas Kundratek to a spot in 2013 assuming he's re-signed. So I don't think he's gonna be re-signed. Huge competition at LD: Alzner, Orlov, Schlling, Kundratek, Schultz all should be in the organization come next season.
I think Wey can be in the 2013 discussion as well as a RD. May not make final roster but will get a solid look as a defensive defenseman to partner with a strong offensive LD like Orlov.

Caps Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Word.
Orlov plays the right side. Frankly, the only real competition will be for 3LD. There's no one in our organization right now who has any business being the 2LD next season (or this season, for that matter). I really hope that's something we address through FA rather than putting Schultz there again.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Orlov plays the right side.
He's exclusively played the left side this season from what I've seen, mostly with Stafford but also a bit with Oleksy earlier on. It may explain a small part of why he has struggled to this point. But even with Orlov as a 2LD candidate I wouldn't want him in that role yet either. They'll need a steadying veteran to replace Hamrlik if he's done, though I'd guess they may be a bit hesitant to hand out much term if they're banking on that eventually being a spot for Orlov. Or conversely it could make him available to help in a package to address C. The plan with Ribeiro is a more interesting dilemma I think.

Wey at 3RD makes sense as a compliment to Orlov at 3LD at some point. The same sort of dynamic goes for Schilling and Kundratek potentially. Some decent depth amassed.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

+1 on Wey getting a real good look in 2013. Might end up on the top pairing in Hershey, but he'll stick in the Caps camp for a while and be high on the call-up list. His offensive numbers are way up this season now that he's getting PP time. 1G, 7A in 10 games. Already matched his career high for points at BC. Probably not going to get PP time at the NHL level (especially not with the Capitals), so I don't expect him to be a point producer. But it shows he won't be a liability in the offensive zone.

Quote:
Word.
Kundratek plays the right side.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I watched almost all Bears games and as far as I can remember both of them are playing on the left. They're both left-handed FWIW.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Kundratek is on the right side with Schilling as his parnter on the left. Kundratek does take the left side on the PP, but not on the point (he's up near the half-boards).

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:33 PM
MiKE5889

The Caps defense is really one big question mark, be it a season this year or not.

Alzner, Carlson and Green are all more than adequate to play top 4 minutes. After them it's a lot of uncertainty.

Hamrlik has still got the tools to play top 4 minutes, but his skating speed worries me. He was good in the playoffs, but many times he was too slow to succesfully join the rush and several times you could see how he lost the puck, getting outskated in the defensive zone.

Orlov is really the enigma here. If my mind ain't going senile on me already I believe Orlov played on the right side, while in Russia. The Caps then tried to convert him to play on the left side, which has been done this year also in the AHL, and from a certain perspective it makes a lot of sense.

If Oates dares to split up the Carlzner pairing, despite the great chemistry of theirs, it would be possible to field a top 4 with Alzner and Green on the top pairing and Orlov and Carlson on the second. It's not optimal by any standards, but then again nor is any single part of our current roster.

I also wonder about Erskine, as he also becomes a UFA after next season. Somehow I get the feeling that we're going to see Hillen a lot on our second pairing.

MiKE5889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
The Caps defense is really one big question mark, be it a season this year or not.

Alzner, Carlson and Green are all more than adequate to play top 4 minutes. After them it's a lot of uncertainty.

Hamrlik has still got the tools to play top 4 minutes, but his skating speed worries me. He was good in the playoffs, but many times he was too slow to succesfully join the rush and several times you could see how he lost the puck, getting outskated in the defensive zone.

Orlov is really the enigma here. If my mind ain't going senile on me already I believe Orlov played on the right side, while in Russia. The Caps then tried to convert him to play on the left side, which has been done this year also in the AHL, and from a certain perspective it makes a lot of sense.

If Oates dares to split up the Carlzner pairing, despite the great chemistry of theirs, it would be possible to field a top 4 with Alzner and Green on the top pairing and Orlov and Carlson on the second. It's not optimal by any standards, but then again nor is any single part of our current roster.

I also wonder about Erskine, as he also becomes a UFA after next season. Somehow I get the feeling that we're going to see Hillen a lot on our second pairing.
At this point Green himself is a big question mark. It remains to be seen whether he can stay healthy and whether his game can return to it's pre-injury level.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
txpd

alzner and carlson are greater than the sum of their parts. that has been pretty obvious. they are both good players, but together they a legit high level 1st pair. i doubt seriously that as long as those two on on the same team that you will see them split for any lenthy period of time.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
hopefully retired.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Caps Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Wey at 3RD makes sense as a compliment to Orlov at 3LD at some point. The same sort of dynamic goes for Schilling and Kundratek potentially. Some decent depth amassed.

I agree with your thoughts...Schilling started out pretty hot but has cooled off in the month of November, Kundratek seems very offensive so I question him and Orlov as a strong 3D pairing if balance is what you seek, Wey is having a very strong year at Boston College. His offensive stats resemble his work in juniors, but his future is really as a lock down defensive defenseman paired with an offensive partner like Orlov or Kundratek.

Need the CBA resolved, I am going nuts.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Caps Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
alzner and carlson are greater than the sum of their parts. that has been pretty obvious. they are both good players, but together they a legit high level 1st pair. i doubt seriously that as long as those two on on the same team that you will see them split for any lenthy period of time.
Spot on TXPD in my opinion. They clearly compliment one another and it would be foolish to split them up based on past success together.

I really think Orlov/Wey could be something similar as a strong 3rd pairing. They have performed well in early development camps together, are a natural LD/RD pairing, and nice potential offensive/defensive combination. Wey throughout his career at all levels has worked well with an offensive partner. Most recently with Brian Doumolin(Pittsburgh) at Boston College where Brian was clearly one of the top offensive defensemen in college hockey.

Caps need to answer questions around Green's health and who best fits the complimentary role for him as a partner.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

I'd prefer Hamrlik playing down on the third pair. I like having him on the team for his leadership in the back end and I think he still has some skills left to contribute but he just doesn't have the mobility any more for me to be comfortable with him chewing up ice time on the first two pairs. If he's getting 15+ minutes a game of ice time then the Caps blue line is in serious trouble.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote