HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

GDT: 5/21/2006 Game 4: Portland Pirates at Hershey Bears. Giant Center. 6:00pm

Old
05-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Isn't Gordon at the end of his entry level contract? I'm sure he will be taking a significant pay cut...
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, sadly.

He is at the end of his entry-level contract, sure. His deal was structured such that he made between $500-600K in each of the first two years, then saw his third year leap to $1.185 million.

With the rollback, Gordon was due $900,600 in NHL salary this season, the third and final year of his entry-level contract. Now that this contract is up, the Caps have to qualify him and as a player making les than $1M in salary, the qualifying modifier is 105 percent of his 2005-06 salary, which comes to $945,630 for 2006-07 if he plays in the NHL. That is the bare minimum he earns next year in NHL wages.

Thus far, they have been hoping he develops enough of a scoring touch in the AHL before giving him an NHL job, chiefly as a PK'er, yes, but one who can chip in 25 points in the NHL.

They could, of course, refrain from qualifying him. That would make him an unrestricted free agent, however. I don't think they will do that.

Gordon Profile

Qualifying Threshold

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:39 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588

He is at the end of his entry-level contract, sure. His deal was structured such that he made between $500-600K in each of the first two years, then saw his third year leap to $1.185 million.

With the rollback, Gordon was due $900,600 in NHL salary this season, the third and final year of his entry-level contract. Now that this contract is up, the Caps have to qualify him and as a player making les than $1M in salary, the qualifying modifier is 105 percent of his 2005-06 salary, which comes to $945,630 for 2006-07 if he plays in the NHL. That is the bare minimum he earns next year in NHL wages.

Thus far, they have been hoping he develops enough of a scoring touch in the AHL before giving him an NHL job, chiefly as a PK'er, yes, but one who can chip in 25 points in the NHL.

They could, of course, refrain from qualifying him. That would make him an unrestricted free agent, however. I don't think they will do that.

Gordon Profile

Qualifying Threshold
I was thinking perhaps the Caps work out a two year deal with Gordon to "right-size" the salary instead of just the one year QO at the higher price.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
jr77812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588

Gordon Profile

Qualifying Threshold
I had heard that he might be looking at a lower number over a several year deal knowing that was his path to the NHL. But you never know how these $$$ things work out.

jr77812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I suppose they could do so. Implicit behind that negotiation is that both sides believe the Capitals would follow through on an intention to bury him in the minors for peanuts because they simply don't want to pay his NHL salary, but don't want to give let him go free either. The union would just love that... but it could happen. Depends on whether Gordon wants to give up his previously negotiated rights just to improve his chances of making the big club.

Really tough call for the player. The starter salary is so important, albeit dimished in the cap age. It's the benchmark for all future negotiated increases. If he willingly drops it to $500K, it could take him a long, long time to ratchet that figure up to $1M. Not an easy decision at all, especially if he goes out and really does improve as a Cap next year, puts up 20 points, and kicks himself for the next five years for giving up all that money.

Has he really been considering it? If so, that's a real nice break for Washington.

Steckel at $510,000 next year is a lock over Gordon at his salary, but it's more of a contest if Gordon adjusts downward.

Old
05-23-2006, 11:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

Drake, while I see your point, he could still be on a two way with a QO so if the money is part of the reason he has been held back, where does that get him in terms of dollars - earning an AHL paycheck instead of a "lower" NHL paycheck through a multi-year deal? As I noted in an earlier thread, I believe once Gordon plays 4 more NHL games his waiver exemption is gone. Seems to me the smart financial and professional move would be a multi-year deal.

It will be interesting to see what happens. JR, interesting info; sounds like it could be a real possibility.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It may be the smart play, but it has to be difficult to give away the right to even only a theoretical salary threshold. If he puts it together, leaves you smarting for a while.

Certainly would be good news for the Capitals, so I'm all for it, but the player has a tough decision to make, I think.