HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 04:06 AM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it...he is still one of the youngest players in the AHL. Despite being the same draft year, he is almost a full year younger than Nelson.

Not to mention last year was pretty much a waste for him.

He is scoring right now, which is good. The rest of his game will follow I am sure.
And he'll be able to GROW in the AHL if others sep up. So...we have a blessing with Nino FORCED to play in the AHL and we could have another blessing if Nino is FORCED to stay behind if someone else makes the cut before him. I like long development, especially considering how horrible Nino was last year. I just wanna see him get some serious growth and that means not on any NHL ice for some time. If he has a weakness in his AHL game....what does that mean on an NHL ice surface?

Nelson could save Nino's career by being better.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:46 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
He may be scoring, but the rest of his play still leaves a lot to be desired. He's not NHL ready...

Nelson is looking real good and controls the ice very well. Looks like a good one.
i'd have to disagree here...while he is not a complete two way player yet.....he is attacking the net hard..he is taking the body..passing well, his assist yesterday was sick..killing penalties..what are you seeing that i'm missing live? i agree that he is not a finished product but i really think your nitpicking here which is fine..his play reaks of confidence...everyone was ready to ship him out this year..lets enjoy the fact that he is third in the ahl in scoring now

Old
11-19-2012, 06:07 AM
BillD

Nino is a shooter/scorer. He has been known for that at every level he has played (except last year's NHL season).
He has a good chance to be a player similar to Matt Moulson......a finisher that is not all the good at the rest of the game. He is a bit bigger than Moulson and will probably play at about 220 lbs when fully mature. He also is still just turned 20 years old and could round out his game in the next 2-3 years, but having a Matt Moulson clone with maybe a better shot, if that is all he ever becomes, is not a bad thing.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:19 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Nino is a shooter/scorer. He has been known for that at every level he has played (except last year's NHL season).
He has a good chance to be a player similar to Matt Moulson......a finisher that is not all the good at the rest of the game. He is a bit bigger than Moulson and will probably play at about 220 lbs when fully mature. He also is still just turned 20 years old and could round out his game in the next 2-3 years, but having a Matt Moulson clone with maybe a better shot, if that is all he ever becomes, is not a bad thing.
I agree that he will end up being a better Matt Moulson, sort of. While both players aren't the best skaters, Nino is clearly the more physical force and loves to finish his checks. Moulson, while he is listed at 6'1", 210 lbs. is not a physical force what so ever. I've seen Matt Moulson in person and he looks like just a normal guy. Also, Moulson camps around the net while Nino drives to the net; yes, Nino will set up in front of the net but I see a difference compared to Moulson. When I watch Isles games, Matt is only effective within 10-15 feet of the net or so, while Nino can go to the net from the perimeter or work within that 10-15 feet as well.

Sorry if that was a little confusing, as I was writing I kept remembering games and highlights of each player lol.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

I understood your point.

Moulson is unique. Nino will be better cycling the puck (I hope, lol).

For me, dissecting Nino's game, at times in the NHL last year, he looked completely lost away from the puck. Even he knew it, as he would change his positioning in the defensive zone to correct his mistake. But so far in Bridgeport he seems much better.

His no look one-timer pass across the crease to Sundstrom the other night was a thing of beauty, too.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
He's an end to end player. Passing is not crisp, he's either passing to far in front or behind the player which causes hiccups in momentum. While fast, he doesn't know how to use his speed to maneuver around the defense. Play away from the puck is mediocre.

He certainly doesn't look like the best player on the ice or a top 5 1st rounder. Nelson does, Niño doesn't.
Nino's doing what I'd hoped to see him do: crashing the net, going to the dirty areas of the ice.

He's 15/16 games into his first AHL season.

I'd be a lot more concerned, if he were playing a perimeter game. The coaches will be working with him on his weaknesses.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:54 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Nino's doing what I'd hoped to see him do: crashing the net, going to the dirty areas of the ice.

He's 15/16 games into his first AHL season.

I'd be a lot more concerned, if he were playing a perimeter game. The coaches will be working with him on his weaknesses.
20 AHL Games, 12 goals. Not bad at all, in fact, That's pretty friggen awesome for someone who just turned 20. He played 6 games as a 19yo in the AHL, and now 14 games this year as a 20yo.

2011-12 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 6 3 1 4 4 4
2012-13 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 14 9 8 17 12 1

21 points in 20 AHL games, how many players average a point a game in the AHL at 20 yo ? If he plays 70 games in the AHL this year, he's on pace for 45 goals. That's pretty amazing for a 20 yo.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:06 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

21 points in 20 AHL games, how many players average a point a game in the AHL at 20 yo ? If he plays 70 games in the AHL this year, he's on pace for 45 goals. That's pretty amazing for a 20 yo.
So what? Those are only goals... his passes aren't 'crisp' and he causes hiccups!!!

Old
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
20 AHL Games, 12 goals. Not bad at all, in fact, That's pretty friggen awesome for someone who just turned 20. He played 6 games as a 19yo in the AHL, and now 14 games this year as a 20yo.

2011-12 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 6 3 1 4 4 4
2012-13 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 14 9 8 17 12 1

I don't even think he has had his "breakout game" yet. Just seems to be picking up the quiet points. Not a lot of chatter about him.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:15 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
So what? Those are only goals... his passes aren't 'crisp' and he causes hiccups!!!
I hear if you blow air out through your ears while holding your nose, the hiccups go away. lol.

All joking aside, I'm sure there are some people out there that will always be skeptical of Nino due to last year, but he is quickly showing that if he's allowed to play with players that have talent, he can excel. I'm drooling at the thought of him riding shotgun w/Tavares or Strome.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:08 AM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

I really am not surprised at how well he's playing. Even before he was drafted, I got the feeling that this kid is an extremely hard worker with a ton of character. He's proving me right with the way he's responded this season.

To put it in perspective a bit, he's currently tied in points(although he has two more goals) with the 1st overall pick from last year, who is only about a half-year younger, in the same exact number of games. The same 1st overall pick that is currently playing on a line with a guy who was basically a PPG player in the NHL last year, and on the PP with a 22-year old top prospect defenseman who is leading the league in points.

I know Nino has Nelson, who is a great prospect in his own right, but the fact he's putting up these numbers without having anywhere near the amount of fire power that these other guys have is insanely impressive.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
StumpNYI

Also note that most of his goals are even strength.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
mhs8hockey

Send a message via AIM to mhs8hockey
Any word on when Kabanov comes back? I heard he had 2 great games to start then slowed a bit, then he got injured.....Thanks guys!

Old
11-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Islanders1932

I love seeing success in the Ahl however I'm always hesitant about translating that to the NHL like jeff tambellini. I really hope Nino will make the transition

Old
11-19-2012, 12:43 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I love seeing success in the Ahl however I'm always hesitant about translating that to the NHL like jeff tambellini. I really hope Nino will make the transition
Let's not forget, Tambellini played several seasons of college hockey before he even stepped foot in the AHL. Tambellini was 21 during his first AHL season and turned 22 at the end of the season. Niederreiter JUST turned 20 and is doing what Tambellini did his first AHL season, avaeraging a point a game (Tambellini had 56 gp 25g 31a 56pts). Whether Nino keeps up the pace is something we'll have to watch. But he's on pace to have a better first full season in the AHL than Tambellini did, at a younger age.

Other differences is Tambellini only used his speed to succeed in the AHL, and that's why he didn't really succeed in the NHL. He was a perimeter player, didn't really wanna get his nose dirty to score those gritty goals. Nino is never afraid to do that, he's a power forward who's willing to get those dirty goals, he also has always been responsible defensively, working on the penalty kill, etc.

I think Nino's game translates to the NHL better than the one dimensional Tambellini.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Renbarg

I also think bigger guys, who put up good stats in the AHL, tend to transition well into the NHL, while smaller guys are more hit or miss.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:20 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I also think bigger guys, who put up good stats in the AHL, tend to transition well into the NHL, while smaller guys are more hit or miss.
Agreed. I see Niederreiter as a bigger/grittier Okposo, he'll probably score 25-30 goals a year, may hit 35 a couple of times.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs8hockey View Post
Any word on when Kabanov comes back? I heard he had 2 great games to start then slowed a bit, then he got injured.....Thanks guys!
I'm not sure when he'll be back but to be honest I wasn't impressed with him at the home opener. He definitely needs some time down in the AHL before he's ready to step in and make an impact.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:40 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
I see Niederreiter as a bigger/grittier Okposo, he'll probably score 25-30 goals a year, may hit 35 a couple of times.
This, a thousand times over.

I like Moulson and Okposo just fine, but I wouldn't mind at all if either were usurped by Niederreiter - flanking JT with two 'softies' isn't the smartest way to ensure that "die Wünderkind" doesn't spend too much time defending himself and risking penalties (read: slashing the hell out of Letang) or become the recipient of an all-expense paid trip to the hospital when opponents decide to play rough.

I don't want to shackle him to a goon, but an element of meanness on that line could have the ability to pester, distract and unbalance an opponent. Luckily Niederreiter looks like he has a chance to offer both a scoring touch and some much-needed sandpaper to one wing or another, hopefully next to JT.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'm not sure when he'll be back but to be honest I wasn't impressed with him at the home opener. He definitely needs some time down in the AHL before he's ready to step in and make an impact.
I don't think Kabanov will ever be that elite prospect he was projected to be before he came over to North America. He's got some good moves, great hands (stickhandling wise), but I don't see that explosiveness of a typical Russian elite prospect. He doesn't particularly have a good shot (like a Zlobin), and he doesn't seem to have the will or determination to be great. He seems happy to be just one of the guys. I'd bet his ceiling is 20 goals and maybe 50 points would be his high in the NHL. Not terrible, but he's more Zubrus than he is Ovechkin.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
I don't think Kabanov will ever be that elite prospect he was projected to be before he came over to North America. He's got some good moves, great hands (stickhandling wise), but I don't see that explosiveness of a typical Russian elite prospect. He doesn't particularly have a good shot (like a Zlobin), and he doesn't seem to have the will or determination to be great. He seems happy to be just one of the guys. I'd bet his ceiling is 20 goals and maybe 50 points would be his high in the NHL. Not terrible, but he's more Zubrus than he is Ovechkin.
I won't try to guess, what type of scorer Kabanov will be at the nhl level.

I do like the speed and board work he's shown at Bridgeport.

He raised his level of play once the postseason started in 2011-2012. It makes me wonder if he'll be one of those players, who gives an extra effort in the playoffs.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
This, a thousand times over.

I like Moulson and Okposo just fine, but I wouldn't mind at all if either were usurped by Niederreiter - flanking JT with two 'softies' isn't the smartest way to ensure that "die Wünderkind" doesn't spend too much time defending himself and risking penalties (read: slashing the hell out of Letang) or become the recipient of an all-expense paid trip to the hospital when opponents decide to play rough.

I don't want to shackle him to a goon, but an element of meanness on that line could have the ability to pester, distract and unbalance an opponent. Luckily Niederreiter looks like he has a chance to offer both a scoring touch and some much-needed sandpaper to one wing or another, hopefully next to JT.
I agree, although I still think Okposo could be this type of player. His first season he as an absolute bull. He's looked a little tentative since coming back from the injury, but with some confidence I think this part of his game will return.

Quote:
I don't think his upside is as high as it once was, but I do think he's a much safer bet now to become a decent NHLer. Maybe a 40-50 point, borderline 2nd or 3rd liner who plays decent defensively and chips in a fair amount offensively. Obviously he could prove me wrong, get his chance with Tavares and explode offensively, but even if he doesn't I still think he can be a valuable player for this team.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
And YET, here we have Niño leading the team in points, in goal scoring and tied for second in assists. I think you're just the type of person who looks for the negative in everything. Niederreiter said before the season, I'm not a 3rd or 4th line grinder, I'm a sniper, I'm a 1st or 2nd line offensive player. And all he's done is gone out and proven what he said he was. After last year's disaster, it wouldn't have shocked me if he was ruined and had another ****** season. But no, he's gone out and showed what he's all about, shown that he is a TOP prospect ! I love the guy and he deserves just as much hype as Brock Nelson. Who is almost a year older than Niño.

Jumping into goaltending, though I'm a HUGE Poulin fan, I have to believe the hype, Nilsson has been nothing but amazing since he's been in North America, he's been lights out in Bridgeport, and I truly believe it will cary over to the NHL. Can't wait to see him as a full time Isle's goalie.
And this tells me you are looking at a stat sheet, not the player on the ice.

I'm not a skeptic of the kid. He's a kid and he played poorly in the NHL last year. My point was he is STILL no NHL ready and would best be served playing the entire season in the AHL.

Much of the latter will be decided on how the CBA is written re bonuses applied to the cap vs. hard cash. The ONLY reason he played in the NHL last year.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i'd have to disagree here...while he is not a complete two way player yet.....he is attacking the net hard..he is taking the body..passing well, his assist yesterday was sick..killing penalties..what are you seeing that i'm missing live? i agree that he is not a finished product but i really think your nitpicking here which is fine..his play reaks of confidence...everyone was ready to ship him out this year..lets enjoy the fact that he is third in the ahl in scoring now
'sick' plays are much easier in the AHL, than the NHL. Why? because the caliber of the league is NOT the NHL.

I just did not see a player that was confident hitting players in stride to keep the momentum of breakouts going or moving through the neutral zone. Along the boards? Not his strength.

Again, the bottom line is he is NOT NHL ready. He is skilled, but is flawed and needs more time with less pressure to develop. That's all. People see stat lines and so 'yeah, he's amazing, 1st line Mike Gartner!' - Come on, the Isles need to let this develop in the "A" until he is comfortable with his game and body. People saw flashed of brillance in Bailey's passes in his rookie year. Years later, the team and its fans are waiting to see that consistently.

Hamonic - looked smooth, calculated, and savvy - qualities of an NHL player. Nelson, looked similar w/o having NHL games.

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 11-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
'sick' plays are much easier in the AHL, than the NHL. Why? because the caliber of the league is NOT the NHL.

I just did not see a player that was confident hitting players in stride to keep the momentum of breakouts going or moving through the neutral zone. Along the boards? Not his strength.

Again, the bottom line is he is NOT NHL ready. He is skilled, but is flawed and needs more time with less pressure to develop. That's all. People see stat lines and so 'yeah, he's amazing, 1st line Mike Gartner!' - Come on, the Isles need to let this develop in the "A" until he is comfortable with his game and body. People saw flashed of brillance in Bailey's passes in his rookie year. Years later, the team and its fans are waiting to see that consistently.

Hamonic - looked smooth, calculated, and savvy - qualities of an NHL player. Nelson, looked similar w/o having NHL games.
The way I see it is this:

If Nino were putting up these numbers in any other year, I'd be impressed. The fact that he's doing it during a lockout, where there are now a ton of players who are either already established NHLers, or guys that would be playing in the NHL this year, makes it that much more impressive.

Obviously the AHL is not the NHL, but that doesn't mean it isn't a tough league to play in. Especially for a 20 year old kid. Nino needs to refine parts of his game, I'm sure no one would argue that, but to not be impressed with his play thus far(especially after all the "bust" talk this offseason) just comes off as extreme nitpicking. No offense, just my opinion.

Closed Thread