HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread Part XIV: WOO IRISH

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
In very odd rumor news..... in addition to Maryland and Rutgers.... could the Big Ten be considering.... Georgia Tech?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...lso_be_in.html

Methinks almost assuredly not if only because of the distance and the fact that Georgia doesn't border any Big Ten state, but they oddly enough do fit the Big Ten's model for what they want in a school for pretty much every other category other than geography.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 11-18-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Maryland has voted to join the Big 10.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:56 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I still can't get over how stupid this is.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I still can't get over how stupid this is.
I'm not disagreeing (it's not something I follow closely, at all)... but why is it stupid?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Illinihockey

Cubs re-sign Shawn Camp to a one year deal

Old
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I'm not disagreeing (it's not something I follow closely, at all)... but why is it stupid?
From a monetary standpoint, it's very smart. Adding Maryland gets BTN into homes in DC and Baltimore, which makes the conference a lot of money.

From a competitive standpoint, it's the dumbest thing ever. This is a conference that has added 2 schools in its 'modern era' (since MSU replaced U of C in the 30s or whatever). Those 2 schools were 2 of the most historic in college football history and are highly competitive. Now, we're gonna add 2 schools that add very little to the conference, outside of those TV dollars. Sure, Maryland has a good basketball program, but football is what really matters. And Rutgers adds nothing whatsoever, IMO. All while destroying the tradition of being a midwest conference that the Big Ten has always had. I'd rather add Iowa State, Louisville, Cincy, etc than either of these schools because at least they are local and have either rivalries intact with our schools or ones that would translate easily.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Illinihockey

Have to think another team is joining soon, no chance they don't approve just 1 team coming in and making it a 13 team conference.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Cubs re-sign Shawn Camp to a one year deal
Excellent, he was good. Man, if they could sign Fujikawa and McCarthy, the pitching staff is going to look pretty good, both rotation and bullpen. I hope we can close on those two, that with Baker and Navarro would be a great offseason.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Excellent, he was good. Man, if they could sign Fujikawa and McCarthy, the pitching staff is going to look pretty good, both rotation and bullpen. I hope we can close on those two, that with Baker and Navarro would be a great offseason.
For a team not going anywhere, they definitely are intriguing. With a litlte health and the development of a couple of young players, they could be mediocre next year. Their lineup is still terrible and they have no one at 3rd or in center.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
For a team not going anywhere, they definitely are intriguing. With a litlte health and the development of a couple of young players, they could be mediocre next year. Their lineup is still terrible and they have no one at 3rd or in center.
Maybe as the offseason goes on, BJ Upton will not find a longterm deal to his liking and we can come in and give him a huge 1 year deal.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
From a monetary standpoint, it's very smart. Adding Maryland gets BTN into homes in DC and Baltimore, which makes the conference a lot of money.

From a competitive standpoint, it's the dumbest thing ever. This is a conference that has added 2 schools in its 'modern era' (since MSU replaced U of C in the 30s or whatever). Those 2 schools were 2 of the most historic in college football history and are highly competitive. Now, we're gonna add 2 schools that add very little to the conference, outside of those TV dollars. Sure, Maryland has a good basketball program, but football is what really matters. And Rutgers adds nothing whatsoever, IMO. All while destroying the tradition of being a midwest conference that the Big Ten has always had. I'd rather add Iowa State, Louisville, Cincy, etc than either of these schools because at least they are local and have either rivalries intact with our schools or ones that would translate easily.
Couple problems here....

You're right in that Maryland is more of a basketball school than a football school, but the Terps have actually be a decent team the past couple years. Not a national title contender, but they'll probably be a middle-of-the-road football program in the Big Ten in all likelihood, so it's a good add from a competitive standpoint.

Second, the schools you mentioned add nothing to the Big Ten. Louisville would be the only school that adds a market. Add to that their low academic standards compared to the Big Ten, something that the conference actually does care about, and you have no reason for them to be brought in from the Big Ten's perspective. Same especially goes for Iowa State and whatever little appeal Cincinatti had left with Brian Kelly.

And, let's face it..... the Big Ten stopped being a Midwestern only conference with the addition of Penn State. Technically Midwestern, but they're generally considered more of an Atlantic state than anything else, just the same as Maryland is nowadays.

Maryland is a good fit for the Big Ten. Just because it isn't a huge splash doesn't mean that they don't make sense for our conference.

Rutgers, on the other hand, I do agree with you. That's nothing more than a cash grab. They fit the academic model, but they're going to be amongst the runts of the Big Ten litter.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Been giving some thought about the Georgia Tech rumor I mentioned earlier and just realize that it actually does make a lot of sense for the Big Ten just from the perspective that it opens up the southeastern U.S. to potential recruiting.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Oh, and from the Football board.....

http://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/stat...97775006236672

"Maryland prez tells regents MD, RU in Leaders Division w/OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue & Indiana. Illinois moves to Legends"

Old
11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Illinihockey

Bears game at 7:30 and then Illini at 11....going to be a long night.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Cullksinikers

I have always been an Illini fan and will only root for whatever college I go to (accepted at Kansas, Mizzou, and Indiana, waiting on Illinois), but I have been keeping my eye on the Jayhawks, Tigers, and Hoosiers. Zeller is very intriguing, and as much as Self leaving hurt, his teams always come up big for him. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on Kansas and Indiana. Will be an Illini fan until my commitment makes that change.

I am a big fan of Groce. He did a great job at Ohio and did some sick recruiting for Ohio State.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I have always been an Illini fan and will only root for whatever college I go to (accepted at Kansas, Mizzou, and Indiana, waiting on Illinois), but I have been keeping my eye on the Jayhawks, Tigers, and Hoosiers. Zeller is very intriguing, and as much as Self leaving hurt, his teams always come up big for him. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on Kansas and Indiana. Will be an Illini fan until my commitment makes that change.

I am a big fan of Groce. He did a great job at Ohio and did some sick recruiting for Ohio State.
I have teams I just generally like watching play other than Duke. Nothing wrong with that, especially come tourney time.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I have teams I just generally like watching play other than Duke. Nothing wrong with that, especially come tourney time.
I just mean that I am just watching the progress of schools that I may wind up going to a little more intensely so I know more about the program if/when I go there.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
I just mean that I am just watching the progress of schools that I may wind up going to a little more intensely so I know more about the program if/when I go there.
Very reasonable.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Yeah, my senior year of HS I was into Indiana, Iowa, MSU, and Illinois. By the time the tourney rolled around, I was down to deciding between Iowa and IU, so I only had 1 team in the tourney.

All worked out in the end

Old
11-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Teemu

Nice to have another quality basketball school in the B1G.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Cullksinikers

Illini might cruise to the championship game in Maui. Groce is already giving me hope. All these guys with obvious flaws under Weber look much better and smart under Groce.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 11-20-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old
11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Illini might cruise to the championshio game in Maui. Groce is already giving me hope. All these guys with obvious flaws under Weber look much better and smart under Groce.
UNC looked absolutely ridiculous against Miss St.

Hopefully someone knocks them off.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:17 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Well, Illinois is utterly destroying USC at halftime, so at least that's a nice end to a ****ty day.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Cullksinikers

Groce will get his revenge on UNC.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Cullksinikers

The Illini are shooting into an ocean. Ridiculous.

Closed Thread