HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I am sure it's Montreal's plan to have Galchenyuk as the potential #1 center but from watching him night in and night out over the past three seasons (obviously an abbreviated 2nd season) , he certainly looks pretty damn good on the wing right now so it is not the end of the world if he plays the wing...especially if he's suceeding there.

Don't fret Habs fans, either way you have a tremendous first line forward and top-six forward in less than two years, minimum.
Agreed, if anything, it makes him much more valuable to our team. If Pleks or DD goes down to injury, Gally can take their spot for the time they're gone. For the first time, in a while, the Habs have a good problem at center, and finally depth at that position.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:17 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
If all goes well for Gally, he will be a star, not "might" be a star.
If all goes well for any player they WILL be a star.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:31 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I don't think so... what he meant was if Gally reaches full potential, are you saying every player has similar potential?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:34 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Are you suggesting that a 4th liner who makes it to the NHL is a star? We're talking about an elite player in Gally, not just any player.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Not true, some players are just made to be stars, while some players aren't good enough.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Looking forward to seeing what this kid can do. If he lives up to his potential Montreal has a great corp to build off on for the next 10-15 years with him, Subban and Price.
If Galchenyuk and Subban reach their potential, they have an Elite talent in every position (Forward, Defenseman, Goalie).

Old
11-14-2012, 03:40 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
If Galchenyuk and Subban reach their potential, they have an Elite talent in every position (Forward, Defenseman, Goalie).
+ a pretty good first line winger in Pacioretty

Old
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Are you suggesting that a 4th liner who makes it to the NHL is a star? We're talking about an elite player in Gally, not just any player.
All went right with Pavel Datsyuk and Zetterberg and look where they were drafted.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
All went right with Pavel Datsyuk and Zetterberg and look where they were drafted.
It doesn't matter where they were drafted, the talent was already there. They were overlooked and went under the radar of every team except Detroit. Not everyone has the same level of talent and potential so I'm not sure what you mean by "if things go right with ANY player, they will be a star".

Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
+ a pretty good first line winger in Pacioretty
True that. I can't believe I forgot Patches.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:18 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Big game for Gally and the Sting against Mark Schiefele and the Barrie Colts, at 7:30 tonight!

Can't wait!!

Old
11-15-2012, 09:59 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
It doesn't matter where they were drafted, the talent was already there. They were overlooked and went under the radar of every team except Detroit. Not everyone has the same level of talent and potential so I'm not sure what you mean by "if things go right with ANY player, they will be a star".
Not sure what you don't understand. You don't think a lot of things had to go right to bring them from where they were on draft day to where they are today? There are tons of guys with talent out there but not all of them make it. A lot of things have to go right for anyone to be an NHL star. If you are splitting hairs to the point that you think that I am suggesting that you or your mother could be a star I'm sorry I ever replied. I think I'm sorry already.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Big game for Gally and the Sting against Mark Schiefele and the Barrie Colts, at 7:30 tonight!

Can't wait!!
I agree, should be a good game! Hopefully Gally can continue to get better each game and pad his point totals even more. He has 29 points in his last 16 games since his "slow" first 4 games of the year.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:48 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I agree, should be a good game! Hopefully Gally can continue to get better each game and pad his point totals even more. He has 29 points in his last 16 games since his "slow" first 4 games of the year.
And playing against a top prospect in Schiefele and draft eligible(2014) Aaron Ekblad should be a good test for him as well.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:15 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Not sure what you don't understand. You don't think a lot of things had to go right to bring them from where they were on draft day to where they are today? There are tons of guys with talent out there but not all of them make it. A lot of things have to go right for anyone to be an NHL star. If you are splitting hairs to the point that you think that I am suggesting that you or your mother could be a star I'm sorry I ever replied. I think I'm sorry already.
Instead of saying "any player" or "anyone", you should be more specific and say any ELITE player, because you make it sound like everyone has the same potential to be a star. The way you worded it, you make it sound like a 4th line scrapper has the same potential to be a star as a Crosby or a Stamkos. If you think I'm stupid enough to think you're talking about anyone but hockey players, you're right, you should have kept your moronic comments to yourself.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Instead of saying "any player" or "anyone", you should be more specific and say any ELITE player, because you make it sound like everyone has the same potential to be a star. The way you worded it, you make it sound like a 4th line scrapper has the same potential to be a star as a Crosby or a Stamkos. If you think I'm stupid enough to think you're talking about anyone but hockey players, you're right, you should have kept your moronic comments to yourself.
I love this board, when you are wrong go for personal insults. Shows your maturity.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Can't you see by your statement that you're being vague and basically saying a guy like Bissonette who things went well for and is in the NHL is a star at the same level as Crosby, who things also went well for but unlike Bissonette, truly defines what a star is. Your statement basically says if you're an average player and things go well for you, you'll be a star in the NHL. Sure, you sort of explained yourself afterwards, but initially, that's the impression I and others got when reading your statement.

Quote:
I love this board, when you are wrong go for personal insults. Shows your maturity.
I love this board, when you are wrong, convince yourself that you're not, and say that the other party is.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:32 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

2 Assists from Gally against the Colts, Sting lost 5-3. An off night of sorts from Galchenyuk. Hopefully he comes back tommorrow against the Sudbury Wolves at 7:35.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:40 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Also, a rare road loss for the Sting. 5 Road game winning streak snapped after tonight's loss.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:34 PM
RandR

As I frequently do, I checked the OHL site to see how Galchenyuk and his team did after yesterday's game.

Sarnia got hammered 9-2 at the Sault. Hmmm.

Check the score sheet... Galchenyuk did not play (apparently due to "flu-like symptoms").

When you miss a game and your team gets creamed 9-2, then that might say as much about your value to the team as when you play and make your usual contribution.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:41 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post
As I frequently do, I checked the OHL site to see how Galchenyuk and his team did after yesterday's game.

Sarnia got hammered 9-2 at the Sault. Hmmm.

Check the score sheet... Galchenyuk did not play (apparently due to "flu-like symptoms").

When you miss a game and your team gets creamed 9-2, then that might say as much about your value to the team as when you play and make your usual contribution.
Yean Gally's definately up there in terms of MVP candidates, I'd say I would only have Schiefele, Jenner, Martin, Binnington and Trocheck ahead of him right now for MVP

Last edited by DKQ: 11-19-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Yean Gally's definately up there in terms of MVP candidates, I'd say I would only have Schiefele, Jenner, Binnington and Trocheck ahead of him right now for MVP
Catenacci? He's been the best player on the best team in the OHL.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Catenacci? He's been the best player on the best team in the OHL.
Binnington has been the best player on OS, and it's not that close. Griffith has put up a ton of points on a good team too (London), but he hasn't been their best player

Old
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
FrankMTL

I guess it depends on what criteria you use for MVP..I like the fact that Galchenyuk is not only the leading scorer on his team (by 7 points even though he missed a game) he's also one of only 5 plus (+) players on his team (he's at +7 where the next best is at +4 having only played 14 games). Also, it's a player who brings a very mediocre to below average team into a playoff team.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...pres-du-sommet

Sur la petite passerelle de presse à Barrie, le nom de Galchenyuk revenait souvent dans les discussions. Jason Ford, le directeur général des Colts, et Glavin, le DG adjoint du Sting, ont chacun reconnu la même chose.

«Depuis un mois, Alex est probablement le meilleur joueur de la OHL», ont dit les deux hommes de hockey.

«Alex transporte vraiment l’équipe sur son dos, a ajouté Glavin. Il a eu besoin de temps pour prendre son élan en début de saison, mais depuis qu’il a retrouvé son rythme, il est au sommet.

Quick translation: From the media box in Barrie, Galchenyuk's name is oftem coming up in discussions. Jason Ford, the GM of the Barrie Colts and Glavin, the Assistant GM from the Sting both said the same thing: "For the last month, Alex has probably been the best player in the OHL" . Glavin also said "Alex is really carrying this team on his back. He took some time to get going at the start of the season, but since he got his timing back, he's at the top"

I know this doesn't mean anything, but its always nice to hear the GM of another team (especially one that has Mark Schiefele on it) say that Galchenyuk has probably been the best player in the OHL during the last month.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I guess it depends on what criteria you use for MVP..I like the fact that Galchenyuk is not only the leading scorer on his team (by 7 points even though he missed a game) he's also one of only 5 plus (+) players on his team (he's at +7 where the next best is at +4 having only played 14 games). Also, it's a player who brings a very mediocre to below average team into a playoff team.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...pres-du-sommet

Sur la petite passerelle de presse à Barrie, le nom de Galchenyuk revenait souvent dans les discussions. Jason Ford, le directeur général des Colts, et Glavin, le DG adjoint du Sting, ont chacun reconnu la même chose.

«Depuis un mois, Alex est probablement le meilleur joueur de la OHL», ont dit les deux hommes de hockey.

«Alex transporte vraiment l’équipe sur son dos, a ajouté Glavin. Il a eu besoin de temps pour prendre son élan en début de saison, mais depuis qu’il a retrouvé son rythme, il est au sommet.

Quick translation: From the media box in Barrie, Galchenyuk's name is oftem coming up in discussions. Jason Ford, the GM of the Barrie Colts and Glavin, the Assistant GM from the Sting both said the same thing: "For the last month, Alex has probably been the best player in the OHL" . Glavin also said "Alex is really carrying this team on his back. He took some time to get going at the start of the season, but since he got his timing back, he's at the top"

I know this doesn't mean anything, but its always nice to hear the GM of another team (especially one that has Mark Schiefele on it) say that Galchenyuk has probably been the best player in the OHL during the last month.
Thanks for posting that comment.

Fans, team mates, coaches and management for a player's team often make such comments, but their natural basis makes them nothing new. However, when someone from another organization says such a thing then that is worth noting.

Closed Thread