HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone else disappointed in Marco Scandella?

Old
11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Classic player who's never going to be the sum of his parts, IMO. Has moments where he flashes but he's mostly just an in and out sort of player. I think when all is said and done he's a #4/5 and given what some expect him to be (and even where he is now), he'll be looked at as a disappointment.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Classic player who's never going to be the sum of his parts, IMO. Has moments where he flashes but he's mostly just an in and out sort of player. I think when all is said and done he's a #4/5 and given what some expect him to be (and even where he is now), he'll be looked at as a disappointment.
In many ways, reminds me of Schultz.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah it's possible...but I still think Scandella will be an overall better player than Schultz. Scandy should be a secondary defenseman on a good team while Schultz was a secondary defenseman on a terrible team.

By secondary defenseman, I don't mean a "#2" but a player who is a reliable top four guy who rounds out or complements a more offensive and skilled defender that drives the team up the ice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Scandy should be a secondary defenseman on a good team while Schultz was a secondary defenseman on a terrible team.
Schultz was a top 4 defenseman on some really good Wild teams.

I just see it as a guy that Wild fans are extremely frustrated with. He shows glimpses but never gets there.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those Wild teams weren't that great on defense. Johnsson was our top defenseman overall but wasn't a flashy offensive guy. Burns was just too young and inconsistent. Schultz was a steady top four guy sure. But then you had guys like Skoula, Carney, Hill, Foster, and Nummelin rounding out the squad.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Those Wild teams weren't that great on defense. Johnsson was our top defenseman overall but wasn't a flashy offensive guy. Burns was just too young and inconsistent. Schultz was a steady top four guy sure. But then you had guys like Skoula, Carney, Hill, Foster, and Nummelin rounding out the squad.
Foster wasn't half bad on his prime though. Speaking of Nummelin, he returned to the national team at the last Karjala-tournament and looked solid. The guy's 39 yet he is in consideration for the WC at spring. That being said, it tells more about the state of Finland's defense rather than his greatness. Still, not a bad achievement from a guy who was nearly forgotten for a couple of years when he played in Switzerland.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Beegoalie

I hate that people forget he's 22. Look at him then look at the complete failure that is Tyler Cuma...Scandella is on his way to being a top 4 defenseman with slight offensive upside and some grit. All this with decent skating and size and you have the perfect 3/4 defenseman.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was running the numbers on a bunch of guys from 2008 and it looks like Scandy is behind the curve for production in the AHL/NHL, but I think a big part of that is missed time with injuries.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I was running the numbers on a bunch of guys from 2008 and it looks like Scandy is behind the curve for production in the AHL/NHL, but I think a big part of that is missed time with injuries.
Must just be the AHL numbers he's behind on. As far as second rounders and later there's only 3 defensemen with more NHL games played in that draft. Spurgeon, Demers, and Hamonic (amusingly, two were NYI picks) are the only defensemen selected 2nd round or later with more NHL games. He's also besting three first rounders in both NHL games played and AHL points, Tyler Cuma, Jake Gardiner, and Colten Teubert. Looks like Gardiner is on pace to surpass him though.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:52 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Johansson was missed a lot. Skoula gets routinely criticized here but he was underrated. Zidlicky was okay until he threw his fit. Carney was good. You also forget that Schultz worked with one of the best defensive coaches in the league. Schultz played in the top 3-4 on a good defensive team.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Must just be the AHL numbers he's behind on. As far as second rounders and later there's only 3 defensemen with more NHL games played in that draft. Spurgeon, Demers, and Hamonic (amusingly, two were NYI picks) are the only defensemen selected 2nd round or later with more NHL games. He's also besting three first rounders in both NHL games played and AHL points, Tyler Cuma, Jake Gardiner, and Colten Teubert. Looks like Gardiner is on pace to surpass him though.
I only got halfway through the 2nd round. Most of the guys ahead of him are 0.25-0.5 PPG in the NHL and a lot barely touched the minors and were close to PPG down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Johansson was missed a lot. Skoula gets routinely criticized here but he was underrated. Zidlicky was okay until he threw his fit. Carney was good. You also forget that Schultz worked with one of the best defensive coaches in the league. Schultz played in the top 3-4 on a good defensive team.
They ranged from alright to pretty good, but come on. Look at the teams that won and/or got close. Do I need to recite names here? Those teams had STUDS on defense.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Jbcraig1883

Schultz was my favorite prospect/player the first 5 years of the Wild. He was great in 02/03 with Willie Mitchell. The reason those Wild teams were good is because they all played their roles incredibly well. Most of them were journeymen, knew how to work, and Lemaire was/is a master of the x's and o's. It's not like Schultz was a top 3/4 d-man on a good team that was skilled. Last, and probably most important, is those teams were solely focused on defense. Scandella, while up with the NHL team, has played in a much different system with a team that has not been consistent at all. I don't think you can compare stats or depth chart to make a comparison. Remember, Schultz's 2 best years imo were during the clutch and grab days. So, really, hard to compare them at the same age.

For the sake of comparison, other than having good pokechecks, I don't see their games being similar at all. Scandella is much stronger/rangier, has better hands, not as good positionally, and has a much better shot. Schultz was probably a better shot blocker as well. I'd also say that Scandella has a better outlet pass than Schultz.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:35 PM
MNman

The thing that always catches my eye about Scandella is how he rarely looses a puck battle along the wall. If a team dumps the puck in to start a fore-check, and Scandella is on the ice, it's rare for that dump in to result in anything for the offense. Scandella uses his body and positioning so well, along with the momentum of the other player to get them out of position.

This is all based off what I saw last NHL season, not so much his recent AHL stints.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Don't forget Lemaire used Schultz as his Number One matchup/shutdown defender though..says a lot about the confidence JL had in Schultz that all seemed to go out the window when Todd Richards got to town..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
oNLy1cube

What happened to Marco Scandella?

Stealth Minnesota fan wondering what happened to Scandella this year. He looked solid last season but hasn't been able to stick this season for whatever reason. Curious what's holding him back and where do you guys project him to be in the coming year/years.

oNLy1cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Merged with a post we recently had on the topic.

He's doing okay in the minors. Possibly injuries derailing his progress whenever he's made some.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Often injured, inconsistent. Doesn't have much of a mind for the game. One ways on the NHL roster that he's just not better than at this point.

Don't think we seen much, if any, of him in the Wild organization moving forward. Gone after the year, IMO, if he isn't traded by the deadline.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Dr Jan Itor

It's too bad he couldn't use the end of last season as a springboard. I thought he looked really good the last 10-15 games.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Jbcraig1883

He looked great up until his injury (wrist? I believe). But he was playing with Brodin. Since then, he has a good play or two, but, for the most part, looks average. I believe it's all confidence with him....I think he still has potential to be a 4-6 guy but, as others have suggested, he has not earned his way back and Falk/Stoner offer the same skillset at this point in time.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
It will be interesting to see how Fletcher deals with Scandella in the offseason...He is a RFA...

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Scandella will obviously be re-signed. Just think about it for 2 seconds. Aside from Scandella, who do we have in Houston on the blueline who can actually play in the NHL on a legit playoff team?

Nobody is the answer.

Our best defensive prospects aren't in the AHL, nor will be next year. Gunnarsson maybe fits the mold, but he's unknown. We sign Clarked because nobody in Houston besides Scandella can step up.

This team has given Cuma about 4 chances. It will give Scandella another one.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
It's too bad he couldn't use the end of last season as a springboard. I thought he looked really good the last 10-15 games.
I agree with this. He and Gilbert were pretty solid for us.

It's too bad he can't seem to figure it out.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
nickschultzfan

Kid has 1 goal, 3 points, +1 and 15 shots in the 7 games in March.

He's a bust!

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

I still think he can find his way to the NHL.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Scandy re-signs, he would have to think there's a good chance he gets sent down.

Suter
Brodin
Gilbert
Spurgeon - will be re-signed on a one-way

Competition is:

Prosser - one year left on a one-way
Stoner - one year left on a two-way, but I think he's shown a lot more
Falk - RFA, pretty much the same player as Scandella

If he's not traded, one year at $900k on a one-way is about as best as he could hope for.