Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Superbowlfishca

vCash: 500
Thought "dickie dunn" rang a bell. Just watched watched "Slap Shot" again tonight and he was the beat writer that Paul Numan had on a string throughout the movie. Fricken hallarious , nice handle.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Mike Honcho

Can someone give me some insight on how the 96 goalies on midget AAA teams are doing this year?

Old
10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
rollygoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
Can someone give me some insight on how the 96 goalies on midget AAA teams are doing this year?
From what i see Paranteu is getting most of the starts with the contacts and seems to be doing well, stayed at the Raiders camp for a few ex games. Naherniak is playing well in Moose Jaw also played a few ex game with Red Deer and was Recently called up for 3 games in Red Deer. Rewerts in Battleford i have not seen play this year but seems to be doing ok in his first year! Mickashew in PA has not seen alot of action but will be ok with a fast team in front of him.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:32 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
Thought "dickie dunn" rang a bell. Just watched watched "Slap Shot" again tonight and he was the beat writer that Paul Numan had on a string throughout the movie. Fricken hallarious , nice handle.
Thanks. I tried to capture the spirit of the thing.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
nah68

Anyone know how many 99 born goalies are in the aa bantam league? WC has 1, (Tuchserer) and theres 2 in the Stoon league( Morin, and Henri). What about the south.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Superbowlfishca

99 Goalies

Dalton Dosch Weyburn, Zak Johnson Regian Blues, Caleb Lumbard, Regina Silver Foxes, Alex Geddes, Prairie Storm.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
myopinon

Arps from North East is also a 99

Old
10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopinon View Post
Arps from North East is also a 99
didnt knowthat

Last edited by nah68: 10-26-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Superbowlfishca

WHL Bantam Draft Analysis

From WEHP http://westernelitehockeyprospects.blogspot.ca/

Summary
Average Picks Per Season - Provincial
B.C AB SK MB USA Year
62 70 46 36 15 2006
66 74 51 32 22 2007
47 77 45 36 21 2008
56 80 46 32 24 2009
54 91 42 29 15 2010
53 81 45 28 21 2011
63 67 47 30 29 2012
57.2 77.1 46 31.8 21 Overall Average

My take:
Population
BC 4.4M 77K per draft pick
AB 3.6M 46K per draft pick
SK 1.03M 22K per draft pick
MB 1.2M 37K per draft pick

This may be an oversimplification because it does not evaluate based on the number of kids out of these populations that actually participate in hockey but in the big picture it appears that SK given its population is doing a great job of developing players for junior hockey.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
supertacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJakes View Post
If you honestly believe Martin Smith was fired because he cut a kid from a family who has had success leaving north battleford minor hockey you are sadly mistaken. He either coached or was an aissistant coach for AAA teams that went a combined 44-126. I think that record speaks for the firing. You don't lose or fail at nearly two 3rds and still think you have a job. To bring back someone that was fired mere seasons ago and pair him with a guy who had no success and was fired from the girls team speaks volumes about both the AAA organization and the minor hockey organization. There has been severe problems in The North Battleford Minor Hockey Association for well over a dozen years. Same "old boys" club. Same garbage year after year after year at all levels. You can't blame some of these people as they are "volunteers" and you have to commend them some what for that but it is time for many of them to move on thou it may have already passed the point of no return as it would be nearly impossible to get any new blood into organization that has been badly mismanaged and has a mediocre reputation. Not exactly a ringing endorsement
Made a trip in the other night to watch the AAA Stars play. It must have been cloudy, because there wasn't any out!
I had expected more, listenning to Martin Smith on the radio talk his team up.
Some decent players but the guys I had heard the talk about were duds! Just take a look at the team points board. 1point, 1point, 1point, these are the "Stars" of the future? I was impressed with semi-locals Joel Blaquere and Kyler Hope, who happenned to be on the Mintos, but overlooked by North Battleford. Hmmmm!
You are right Jumbo Jakes, it is not only the Stars Board but the Battlefords Minor Hockey Board that needs a total change. Just look what they pulled last year.
They could learn alot from a couple minor hockey boards, east and west of them on highway 16. Glad to be done with Battlefords Minor Hockey.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:11 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post
Made a trip in the other night to watch the AAA Stars play. It must have been cloudy, because there wasn't any out!
I had expected more, listenning to Martin Smith on the radio talk his team up.
Some decent players but the guys I had heard the talk about were duds! Just take a look at the team points board. 1point, 1point, 1point, these are the "Stars" of the future? I was impressed with semi-locals Joel Blaquere and Kyler Hope, who happenned to be on the Mintos, but overlooked by North Battleford. Hmmmm!
You are right Jumbo Jakes, it is not only the Stars Board but the Battlefords Minor Hockey Board that needs a total change. Just look what they pulled last year.
They could learn alot from a couple minor hockey boards, east and west of them on highway 16. Glad to be done with Battlefords Minor Hockey.
I guess we don't know the situation that you've encountered, so we'll leave it at that. And since you've moved on, it leaves the rest to deal with the problems that occur.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:57 AM
nah68

Was at the Regina tourney on weekend, was slightly dissapointed in the refing. It was evident that some officals has there arms connected to the mouths of some of the local teams....kicking out Johnson was absolutely ridiculous, if any one else saw that game what was your take on that penalty.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:01 AM
mrbodangles

regina bantam aa tourney

if my math is correct saskatoon teams played in 24 gms .
23 gms vs non saskatoon teams with a +/- total of - 62 .
winning 5 of the 23 gms .

Old
11-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Superbowlfishca

Regina Bantam AA Tourney and Officiating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
Was at the Regina tourney on weekend, was slightly dissapointed in the refing. It was evident that some officals has there arms connected to the mouths of some of the local teams....kicking out Johnson was absolutely ridiculous, if any one else saw that game what was your take on that penalty.
Did not see the penalty but i thought the reffing was great. Reason being in the games i watched they let the kids play. We were in Regina the week before and it was brutal as they called 21 penalties - 17 against the Monarchs.
I think somebody had an officiating meeting to ramp back the mentallity and if that occured it worked. When you play that many hockey games there are bound to be some games poorly officiated or some calls missed. How were your other games?

Old
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Superbowlfishca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodangles View Post
if my math is correct saskatoon teams played in 24 gms .
23 gms vs non saskatoon teams with a +/- total of - 62 .
winning 5 of the 23 gms .
Overall except for one team Saskatoon teams where pretty competetive give they are drawing from less population than other teams from Saskatchewan. (Regina drawing from minimum of 50k per team. - Sakatoon drawing from max of 40k per team.) As a previous poster has mentioned they are not as strong in the 98 age group. Generally what i have seen from Saskatoon overall for many years they are the best area in Saskatchewan in overall player development. Whether that continues in the new hockey landscape will be very interesting to watch. I do love that Regina has gone down to 3 city teams and Prairie Storm as it makes them much more competitive and elevates overall league competition.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
nah68

[QUOTE=Superbowlfishca;55748415]Overall except for one team Saskatoon teams where pretty competetive give they are drawing from less population than other teams from Saskatchewan. (Regina drawing from minimum of 50k per team. - Sakatoon drawing from max of 40k per team.) As a previous poster has mentioned they are not as strong in the 98 age group. Generally what i have seen from Saskatoon overall for many years they are the best area in Saskatchewan in overall player development. Whether that continues in the new hockey landscape will be very interesting to watch. I do love that Regina has gone down to 3 city teams and Prairie Storm as it makes them much more competitive and elevates overall league competition.[/QUOT Saskatoon teams had trouble competing all weekend, I understand that most teams were short handed because they were missing players who went to a big baseball tourney in Arizona???? When talking to the people I know from Stoon, it seems evident that there is a serious split in joining the sbaahl. In any instance they were still able to showcase some of there top players, espicially there goalies, hucul, and hobbs. I think it was just frustrating for some of those 98 kids that have talent, Its hard to disagree that they wouldn't get more looks if they were on a dominant team. If Stoon comes with 4 teams, 2 teams are probably in the semi's.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
PokeCheck101

Been off the boards for a while. Catching up. Gee, still the same ol conversation on SBAAHL vs GSHL. It's tiresome folks. Drop it to four teams, join already and been done with it, otherwise for lack of better words, everyone involved zip it and go your merry way. I'm a big fan of the SBAAHL. I'm also a big fan of all the players I know who play in the GSHL. Rural kids get drafted, city kids get drafted... Regina made the right move dropping to 3 teams and low and behold one team is tops in the south. Go figure. The Silver Foxes are mid pack and Monarchs struggling. So what's it come down to? Coaching. I've said it over and over, retain quality coaching at all levels and everyone improves. Perhaps the issue on the Monarchs?

Forget about AAA winter league. Leave AAA at midget, with exception of those invested in decent spring programs..... Some folks seriously can't be okay with driving 2+ hours for practice x 2 week plus games if we went that route... What's next? Billets at bantam? For 13 year old kids? C'mon. Been through several years of spring hockey as a coach and parent... Good program, good for my kid but we walked away after a good reality check and have turned to investing our $5K into education. Haven't missed a beat and my kid came into this season determined, focused and is still playing elite hockey. I'm tired of the spring hockey debate too. What I tell parents is that hockey is a funnel, get with it, some will move on, most will not. Invest in decent hockey schools and demand quality coaching. In the end you'll have a kid who has a life long passion for the game. That's what we all should want. Take one look at the shape Blake Geoffrion is in right now, with a metal plate in his head and you define to me, as a parent/a fan/a coach/a scout/a grandpa, what really is important already. Why don't we get back to dealing with all the whoop, whooping and cheering at the pee wee and bantam level that arises when someone lays another player out like that. I have always taught players to separate the man from the puck, not his head from his body. This year alone at pee wee and bantam AA I've seen first hand some blatant intent to injure that has been chalked up to nothing more than a 2 min minor.

The banter about stats about AB, MB, SK bantam picks and who produces more of this or that is irrelevent. I could chalk it up to AB having better coaches for that matter. The more true purests I talk with all agree with one thing if a kid is talented enough he will progress but it's up to him/her how far they want it to go.

Sorry all. Pent up frustrations from lack of posting! I'll try and post more often, lol.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:21 PM
PokeCheck101

This ragging on players leaving the GSHL for the greener pastures of the SBAAHL is old news too. Regardless of why they left it doesn't really matter does it? Anyone ever think it just may be because some of the elite players are tired of fair and equitable play; Everyone rotates through, everyone plays power play, everyone plays PK, goalies rotate every game (pee wee AA team who played their stronger goalie in back to back games last year was chastised by the league), the league doesn't keep stats, etc. I've experienced both sides. Some kids (no not the parents) actually are the ones that are sick and tired. I know it to be true. It's not the parents influence. Yes in some cases it is. I tend to dismiss those parents. But there are some players who put in alot of time and effort to get themselves to the next level, who get no recognition for it, and it's of no fault of the coach who's forced to abide by the policies and un-written rules that govern their league. Btw, I'm sure there's kids who play city wide who should be playing C4 or SBAAHL. It's happened in past years with no repercussions or diligent follow up, so I don't think it's a fair statement to get on the ones who've left city wide without acknowledging that as well.

Is it fair for a bantam AA kid to see the ice more in warm up than game? No, absolutely not. But it is fair to reward your character players and those going the extra mile. It's never the kids that care, it's the parents. Rather than encouraging, they'll discourage at the drop of a hat if someone gets a milli-second more ice time than their kid. If they don't learn to deal with this adversity, they will not be able to deal with it at midget AAA. That is a fact because at that level fair is not equitable and I've seen some pretty good players unable to handle that change. Come to think of it, neither do their parents. People have spoke about life lessons and hockey, excellent analogy of which I share. Well, life is not fair. Hard work gets you farther in life. Seems simple to me.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:37 PM
PokeCheck101

[QUOTE=nah68;55758061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
[/QUOT Saskatoon teams had trouble competing all weekend, I understand that most teams were short handed because they were missing players who went to a big baseball tourney in Arizona???? .........I think it was just frustrating for some of those 98 kids that have talent, Its hard to disagree that they wouldn't get more looks if they were on a dominant team. If Stoon comes with 4 teams, 2 teams are probably in the semi's.
I have heard the same thing. I know of spring/summer ball programs being run basically throughout winter indoors... It's like the reverse of the spring AAA hockey scenario. From what I understand it's the same scenario as the folks prancing around in full on spring AAA hockey apparel from head to toe all year long, gonna make the "bigs," ooops sorry I mean their child is going to make the "bigs." If I was a parent of a player on that team of kids that went to Arizona I would have had discussions with the coaching staff of the team. That should not have been allowed to happen. We can perhaps all agree to disagree.

I do have to disagree with getting "more looks." It comes down to exposure. A coach at the AA level should be entering tournaments that provide an opportunity for exposure for all of his players sake. Let's face it, they are usually the better run tournaments anyway. Some quick tourneys that come to mind are the Regina Pee Wee Classic and the bantam counter-part. Having seen first hand and talking with parents this year after the Regina bantam tourn there were plenty of scouts watching all the games. With some good fundraising, there are many out of province tourneys that provide great exposure as well as a lasting impression for the kids.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Superbowlfishca

poke Check and Monachs

Regarding the monarchs I know a few parents on this team. They are quite happy with the coaching. I watched a game where that team had 17 penalties to 4 against and they remained relatively calm. If I where coaching I'm not sure I would have been the same.

That being said they are a good team. They made the final four round at the Regina tournament so I think they will be a solid team in the league going forward. They do lack dicipline at times. With the new rules in place teams need to hit in areas where aggression will result in taking away scoring chances. The days of power grinding along the walls does not work because head contact penalties are common and the 4minute penalty is severe.

Pokecheck i do agree with most of your comments posted. The AAA model would not work in Saskatchewan for many of the reasons you stated. Those kids/parents who want to pursue that model in SK can enroll in the ND program so there are options.

We will disagree on the benefits of any kid playing in higher caliber hockey no matter what age. As I have posted and as I have seen first hand having coached in summer programs those kids exposed to the higher caliber competition improve their hockey skills and development. Does that mean those kids that do not play any summer hockey will never catch up. Absolutely not. Those that put in the time and have talent will reap the reward.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:27 PM
DN
Rookie User

2014 Bantam Draft 99's

Your pick for Top 5-10 Sask 99's?

Old
11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN View Post
thats a tough one

Old
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
nah68

Quote:
In random order! Holt, Leshysyn, Mcleod, Vogel.Gshl Markovich, Hobson, Sawchuck, P.A Gardner Humbolt, Tuffs NE. Theres 9, but really boils down to how these kids play next year. But then you need to include the southern kids, which I don't know and apologize for not adding them in, and the Lloyd kids who are considered Albertens. Some of the kids that are good enough to be drafted have to continue to develop both physically and mentally.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Superbowlfishca

Bantam AA 99's South

Quote:
It is difficult and lots can change but here is a few I have noticed in the South: Derrick Budz,Jake Kustra,Tyler Stratechuk,Logan Foster – Yorkton, Carson Sass, Austin Johnson -Melville, Tristen Deroose, Luke Niemengers – Weyburn, Eamon Milligan, Tanner & Tyson Manz – Prairie Storm, Chanz Petruic –MJ, Brayden Pachal, Josh Skjonsby – Estevan, Hunter McDonald, Issacc Sandomirsky, Mathew Chekay, Tyler Ludwar – Regina. Tyde Huchinson, Caleb Stevenson - Swift Current.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:32 AM
icnet

I have been impressed with the 99 age. Hockey IQ is showing.

Closed Thread