HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Was hockey better in the 80s?

Old
11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
1) Goaltending has changed for the better...
2) Goaltending has been ever changing for the better of the position....
3) Players job is to score goals, goalies job is to stop the puck....
4) This is 2012, we can wish all we want about how the goal....
5) Give Sakic or MacInnis a composite stick back in the late 80's earlier 90's...
6) If you want goalies to go back to the philosophy that we only need to protect....

1)
Agree. Goaltending has "changed for the better". Unfortunately, its only "better" amongst the "elite of the elite", and were talking a handful of goaltenders who currently play in the NHL, Europe & the KHL. Within that group, you have a problem with systemic inconsistencies in their games. Halak for example. Stone wall in Montreal. Brilliant. Bit of a Hybrid. Would play well outside the paint. In Philly? Craters. Dont get me started on Roberto Luongo. The rest of your point there that Id be complaining if this was 19 odd whatever that Id have a problem with goalies being allowed to drop is nonsense, suggesting Im narrow minded. Do I strike you as being a narrow minded individual Mr.Sakic? No imagination? Close minded? My God Man, you have no idea.

2) Im cool with that part. What Im warm about is that the basics, as in you know, like "being able to skate"? Kinda important dontchathink? Being able to take a shot with a goalie stick thats accurate & hard? Reading the puck on the shooters blade BEFORE committing yourself and dropping to your knees, at his Mercy? Rebound Control; as in deflecting the puck into the corners from your pads, blocker or stick rather than just letting it "hit you" and going straight back out to the waiting stick of some Gunner for a one timer while your flailing around on your knees'? Playing it exclusively top of the crease (and on your knees) instead of moving out 3-5' or Hell even 10' beyond it, aggressively moving towards the shooter, absolutely no daylight given between you, the net & the shooter on a slapshot? Of course, if you cant skate, forget that, just fall to your knees early, mebbe the puck'll hitcha, mebbe not.

3&4) Im not advocating that pure standup or Hybrid styles like Roy or Belfour of the 80's would work (though I do believe both of those guys would adapt their games further to suit the style of todays play and excel).

5) Id gladly strap on the old Cooper GP59's, GM12 Waffle Blocker & Trapper, my Greg Harrison face flush mask, paper thin arm pads & face anyone with the new generation of sticks. No problem. Mind ye', 40 years of smoking and a beyond excessive lifestyle may have slowed down the reflexes some. Still, absolutely "no fear", and in my day young fella, having played Junior, gone to various camps etc, I can tell you without a lie that I have indeed faced some of the most fearsome shooters of my era, from guys like Napier, Robert, Shutt, Orr, Walton, Dennis Bloody Hull (who couldnt control his shot to save his life, usually zoning in on the forehead) amongst the many. Bring it.

6) Thats right. We should be using equipment that does nothing more than protect us, that isnt designed specifically to CHEAT. Created generation's of lazy Goaltenders. The finer "arts" lost. Double jointed behemoth meat sticks. Pretty frikin sad.

As for your comments about Dryden, ya, he was a Freak Show alrighty. Unorthodox and brilliant, and I do believe his comments about how the positions played today, as in "disappointed" ring true.... when I was a kid coming up, I had Goalie Coaches ranging from Ed Chadwick to Johnny Bower; guys who had played pro in the minors at various levels, pretty much through the 40's, 50's & 60's; Jimmy Rutherford when he was still with Hamilton playing Junior in the late 60's. All sorts, shapes & sizes. The older guys who wouldve played what was colloquially called "Flopper Style", deeper in the net, certainly picked up on the Stand-Up real fast, had no problem "teaching" it, while simultaneously retaining & conveying the best from the earlier styles so that you as their pupil would have the complete toolbox of tricks. Not seeing it in the past several generations. Lack of aggressive play. Fire. Arrogance. Belfour, Roy, Hasek & Thomas, Smith and a few others rare exceptions.

anyhoo, carry on...

Last edited by Killion: 11-18-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typos...
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Goaltending has changed for the better. Whether if you thing its the right way or wrong way that doesn't matter. Goalies stop pucks, that's the point. Whether its by blocking or saving or whatever that doesn't matter. Back when hockey first started up goalies never went down, then the rules changed allowing goalies to go on your knees. If HFboards were around back then, you'd be complaining how goalies should not be allowed to go down on their knees as it was taking away skill.
Goaltenders are certainly better. Weight training and diets aren't exceptions among goalies' development these days; they're the rule. But given that goalie equipment size has increased so much, yet goalie injuries don't seem to have been reduced, and given that the league has had to fiddle endlessly with the rules and their consistency/severity of application in order to effect their mandate of increasing goal scoring, aren't all the little advantages that goalies have "acquired" over the past 20 years at least somewhat deserving of scrutiny?

Quote:
Goaltending has been ever changing for the better of the position. I'm a goalie, I was taught the position by goalies who have been around for a long time. If the current style was wrong or didn't work it wouldn't be taught. The butterfly is more then just going down to your knees. Yes equipment helps, why shouldn't it? Equipment helps out the players, you can say hey baseball players can only use wooden bats. Well good for baseball, the people that are shooting the pucks at you are using any material other then pure wood to take shots at you.
I'm a former goalie. Played at a time when it went from all goalies wearing "normal" trappers (no "cheater") and pads (all leather, of course), to the wealthier kids starting to show up in Vaughn Airs, etc, and trappers with cheaters. And THEN, by the end of my days, chest protectors had become HUGE, and even blocked a lot of the area above the shoulders as well. The issue has never been whether the equipment should help you play better; it's how much does/should it help you play better. Like you brought up, aluminum bats are allowed all the way through minor league baseball, yet ML Baseball forbids their use. Why? Backing up, though, MLB actually has strict rules governing the maximum size of gloves, and even colour (wrt pitchers' gloves), so...

Quote:
Players job is to score goals, goalies job is to stop the puck. Like I said before the players make an advance in technology and we have to find a way to counter it. Your not getting the point that the game has changed, if this were 80's rules with 80's equipment then your style would work, however it is not.

This is 2012, we can wish all we want about how the goalies back then were way better and had more skill. Its never going to happen though, the 80's are over. You don't have to like the goaltending now, if its wrong go ahead and try and change it. Talk to goalie coach's and high level goalies. Ask them if we should go back to the 80's style of goaltending and equipment.
Why the extreme? We'd never suggest that any business go back to hand-written record keeping and ignore the advantages of the computer, and progress/innovation are obviously key aspects of growth in any competitive market. You don't "legislate" a return to some kind of style, you review/remove certain equipment "advantages" that have avoided scrutiny in the recent past, and you figure out how to use modern materials and fabrication processes to prioritize safety of the goalie while also achieving smaller gear size. Maybe the "accepted style" changes because of necessary adaptations.

Basically, either goalies today are fully aware of the (unnecessary) advantages built into today's gear, or their notions of safety "necessities" are as out-dated as old people thinking they're better protected weaving down the road in their '80s Cadillac boat of a car than a modern compact car with 12 airbags and specially designed crumple zones.

Quote:
Give Sakic or MacInnis a composite stick back in the late 80's earlier 90's, you'll be wishing that you had decent size equipment real fast. Goalies have gotten bigger thats for sure, helps when the average height of humans increases as well. Size helps, Ken Dryden was considering massive in net and his size certainly helped.
If composite sticks were the key to speed of puck --> goalie safety issues --> injury, Zdeno Chara would be clocking much higher speeds at the skills competition than MacInnis used to with his lumber, and they'd be outlawed already. He isn't, and they aren't. All composite sticks do is affect the amount of energy needed to transfer as much of your energy as possible to the puck (in part, through reduction of material properties like weight). It has not allowed shooters to achieve higher, and therefore more "dangerous", speeds on their shots. Wrist shots may seem harder, as shooters need far less windup to let the puck go compared to other kinds of sticks, but those shots aren't exceeding the "heaviness" of a slapshot so they pose no greater safety risk - unless goalies are unable to concentrate and focus quickly enough to follow the puck, and get caught by "surprise" shots leading to "freak" injuries. Hey, skaters really have to learn how to play with their heads up nowadays with everyone skating faster than the past, so...

Actually, before I forget, the other point of the composite is the engineered "kick point" I alluded to, allowing the stick to release with less windup, and feel the same way every shot - unlike old wooden sticks, which would feel progressively more "pool-noodley" under load through a game or two (which is why we used to have separate game and practice stacks of sticks). Again, though, no advantage to "maximum" velocity, just "feel" of the shooter.

Quote:
If you want goalies to go back to the philosophy that we only need to protect ourselves, might as well use baseball catching gloves, player sticks, player gloves, player pants with a little more length and padding plus player shin pads. That's all we really need to protect ourselves. Guess the goalies in the 80's went a little bit overboard with those pads of theres when they could have been using something smaller.
No one would ever suggest to go all the way to looking like a lacrosse goalie, I don't think. The ball spends the vast majority of the time above the waist in lacrosse, so the bulk of the protective gear is focused on protecting above the waist. In hockey, the vast majority of the time, the puck is below the waist, so give goalies a bit of lee-way there for sure, but set some new limits. When it comes to the size of the chest protector and glove/blocker? There's definite room for improvement there (no pun intended), and we'd see how many goalies change from first reflex butterfly (instead of using gloves and pads "like they used to") if it was suddenly possible to find holes between the midsection and arm of a goalie again (or by his ears), for example, or if chest protectors were designed "safer" but were designed to NOT absorb/lose every shot into a cave of pillows.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
[B]

5) Id gladly strap on the old Cooper GP59's, GM12 Waffle Blocker & Trapper, my Greg Harrison face flush mask, paper thin arm pads & face anyone with the new generation of sticks.
Ooh, you had the good stuff! GP58's and GM6 for me! Paper-thin arm pads - yes! And I had my Jacques Plante mask painted Pacific Blue (teal) with "Seals" in white/gold in the jersey-style lettering.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Ooh, you had the good stuff! GP58's and GM6 for me! Paper-thin arm pads - yes! And I had my Jacques Plante mask painted Pacific Blue (teal) with "Seals" in white/gold in the jersey-style lettering.
.... actually the GP58's were excellent pads as well, indeed, all of Coopers pads of that era were quite excellent and in most cases (at least in Ontario) the only brand readily available. CCM's, D&R's rare as Hens Teeth, only guys in Major Junior & the Pro's getting the supposed "best" in Kenesky Custom Pads, a shop & mfg based in Hamilton thats still in business to this day.

the GM6 & GM 9 Blockers identical to the GM12 though with a vinyl cuff & front as opposed to all leather; the catchers with the GM's 6&9 in some ways superior as they too had more nylon & vinyl but with a leather pocket making them easier to break-in. Not a huge difference really, and several pro's did in fact use/preferred the GM6&9 to the 12's....

as for the armpads, I mean really, what can you say? They were hideously designed. Either all cotton quilted or worse poly/cotton that didnt breathe with inserts for wafer thin pieces of rubber foam about the thickness of a Ritz Cracker. Zero shoulder or collar bone protection, and you wanted a smaller belly pad as they too were otherwise cumbersome, rigid....

and as for the Plante mask, yep, I had one too, but the cheaper model available "exclusively through Canadian Tire" for like thirty bucks that really, a tennis ball couldve shattered. Absolute piece of crap. You had to spend like $200+ to get the real deal with the ridge-lines & full wrap, back headplate, roughly double the price of what Harrison & others charged for a custom job. Interesting procedure at that; youd lie down on a bench, bathing cap on your head, straw stuck in your mouth to breath through, eyes taped shut & cotton balls shoved up your nose & into yer ear holes while the Plaster of Paris applied to your face for the mold dried over a couple of hours.

Last edited by Killion: 11-19-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old
11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
HabsByTheBay

I'm a goalie myself and I'm with the old guys. It's ridiculous that 6'1" 185 lb guys look like sumo wrestlers.

There is no reason that a baseball catcher should have basically the same chest protector catchers wore 80 years ago while a hockey chest protector has tripled in size. That goes for the players too, remember when you would see calf definition on players?

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I'm a goalie myself and I'm with the old guys. It's ridiculous that 6'1" 185 lb guys look like sumo wrestlers.

There is no reason that a baseball catcher should have basically the same chest protector catchers wore 80 years ago while a hockey chest protector has tripled in size. That goes for the players too, remember when you would see calf definition on players?
Ya thats absurd as well. The players appear to have 2'X4''s hammered together running down from their pant cuffs instead of actual legs to the top of their skate boots; the frikin tongue of which is grotesquely over large & hangin out like the Rolling Stones logo. Not all of them mind you, but a goodly number.... and sure enough, with the exception of a few, the majority of todays goaltenders are not wearing their equipment, the equipment is wearing them. Like Don Cherry and his ridiculous triple thick over-sized collars; suit fabrications that look like his tailor found some new old stock bolts of velvet & velour that were rejected as being too ostentatious & over the top even for the interior designers putting together Graceland for Elvis Presley... in 1957.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Ya thats absurd as well. The players appear to have 2'X4''s hammered together running down from their pant cuffs instead of actual legs to the top of their skate boots; the frikin tongue of which is grotesquely over large & hangin out like the Rolling Stones logo. Not all of them mind you, but a goodly number.... and sure enough, with the exception of a few, the majority of todays goaltenders are not wearing their equipment, the equipment is wearing them. Like Don Cherry and his ridiculous triple thick over-sized collars; suit fabrications that look like his tailor found some new old stock bolts of velvet & velour that were rejected as being too ostentatious & over the top even for the interior designers putting together Graceland for Elvis Presley... in 1957.
Agreed.

When I go to WHL or NHL games and sit up close and take a close look at goaltender equipment, I find it embarrassing how big it is. It is cartoonish.

Keep the light stuff, just make it 80s dimensions.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
I thought Don Cherry picked his outfits from stuff the Village People rejected back in the '70s?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I thought Don Cherry picked his outfits from stuff the Village People rejected back in the '70s?
... earlier. Swiped the curtains from every Motel 6 he ever stayed at through the 50's & 60's from Mountlake Terrace down in yer knick of the woods to Springfield Mass, where quite appropriately old Eddie Shore nicknamed him the Madagascar Kid.... and why that handle? Because thats where old Dead Eye Eddie wouldve sent Ronald McDonald if they'd had a team. Indian Ocean.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Ogopogo*

Rick Mercer once did a piece with Cherry on where he gets his suits. He literally goes to Fabricland and buys a bagful of fabric with a crazy design, then takes it to his tailor to make a jacket for him. Was a funny bit- check Youtube.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Rick Mercer once did a piece with Cherry on where he gets his suits. He literally goes to Fabricland and buys a bagful of fabric with a crazy design, then takes it to his tailor to make a jacket for him. Was a funny bit- check Youtube.
... ya, I caught that bit. Television doesnt really do those collars he has specially made justice. I've run into him over the years here n' there, you just kinda look at him & go WTF makes you think thats in any way whatsoever complimentary? Honestly Don, lose that 19th century psychiatric restraining device thats holding up your wee tiny head. Nothing attractive about walking through life looking like someone suffering from a really bad case of constipation.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Hockey was more exciting back then.

The modern game is grinding out the entertainment value with too much defensive philosophy and too large goalie equipment. What are called scoring chances many times really aren't - most shots have no chance with the size of the goalie equipment.

In the 80s, there were more legitimate scoring chances and goalies had to have great reflexes to make saves. Today they are robots, letting the puck hit them much of the time.
Thank You. When will the NHL do something about the ridiculous size of goalie equipment. Bernie parent took up about a third of the net. Make them actually make a save instead of just blocking the puck by taking up the whole net.

From a marketing standpoint look what happens when a goal is scored, fans leap out of their seats. Why wouldn't you want more of that? The other 3 sports leagues understand this quite well. Smarten up NHL.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Thank You. When will the NHL do something about the ridiculous size of goalie equipment. Bernie parent took up about a third of the net. Make them actually make a save instead of just blocking the puck by taking up the whole net.

From a marketing standpoint look what happens when a goal is scored, fans leap out of their seats. Why wouldn't you want more of that? The other 3 sports leagues understand this quite well. Smarten up NHL.
The biggest difference for me is the number of times goalies actually had to catch pucks back in the day. Nowadays it seems as though goalies go down, make themselves big, and lose most pucks in their protective bulk. Don't have to actually catch the puck, and don't have to worry about steering/clearing rebounds. Quite a luxury for modern goalies, especially given that the speed, skill and athleticism of today's skaters should make rebounds in the slot more dangerous scoring opportunities yet they're almost non-existent thanks to the gear.

Surely there are materials today that can protect goalies from impact without going to the extreme that 90+ mph shots actually get trapped "unintentionally" in the bulk.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
No longer are we holding our trapper as if we are holding a pizza box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The biggest difference for me is the number of times goalies actually had to catch pucks back in the day.
Ya, as RS mentions above, the trapper is actually held close to the hip, resting right on it & open towards the shooter, whereas back in the day in the crouch your arm would be extended out on a 45, trapper open to the shooter like a target, INVITING the shooter to "g'head, try & beat me right there". 8 out of 10 times, theyd go for it, fall for the trick, particularly so if you also yelled at them to SHOOT! They didnt know if that was coming from their bench, another team mate, and theyd let fly, absolutely & totally bizarrely 7 out of 10 times right into the pocket of your glove. Its like they couldnt resist. You barely had to move your arm in most cases if you had the angles covered. Guys like Palmateer & countless others would absolutely showboat it of course. Like theyd' just caught a 100mph $5M Faberge Egg encrusted in Rubies & Diamonds, glove held high for all to see, witness to their brilliance....

Old
11-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Elever
Hth

I'd probably say that the one bad thing about goalies now is that they're too protected. Lucic running Miller is pretty rare. Of course from a safety point of view they should be protected. But from the entertainment point of view....

I think the goalie interference penalties are too high. What I'd like to see is goalies having to fight more for the puck and their D being given permission by the ref to let a player have it if he showers or tries to run the goalie. The less stuff the refs have to settle the better.

One thing I don't miss from watching clips of old games though is the constant long and drawn out melees where it might just be a couple of actual fights bu it takes 10 minutes to sort out, fortunately that's more rare now.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:17 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The biggest difference for me is the number of times goalies actually had to catch pucks back in the day. Nowadays it seems as though goalies go down, make themselves big, and lose most pucks in their protective bulk. Don't have to actually catch the puck, and don't have to worry about steering/clearing rebounds. Quite a luxury for modern goalies, especially given that the speed, skill and athleticism of today's skaters should make rebounds in the slot more dangerous scoring opportunities yet they're almost non-existent thanks to the gear.

Surely there are materials today that can protect goalies from impact without going to the extreme that 90+ mph shots actually get trapped "unintentionally" in the bulk.
When I play I can't get my trapper open, my hand isn't strong enough. I basically just flap at the puck/ball (play mostly ball) and use it like a blocker.

And I used to be a catcher and a 1st baseman so it's not like I'm not used to holding open a big mitt and catching objects coming at me at high speeds.

Equipment today is more high tech than ever before yet plenty of goalies in the 80s caught hard slappers without injury while wearing gear half the size. There's no excuse, gear should be the same size it was then.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
When I play I can't get my trapper open, my hand isn't strong enough. I basically just flap at the puck/ball (play mostly ball) and use it like a blocker.
And I used to be a catcher and a 1st baseman so it's not like I'm not used to holding open a big mitt and catching objects coming at me at high speeds. Equipment today is more high tech than ever before yet plenty of goalies in the 80s caught hard slappers without injury while wearing gear half the size. There's no excuse, gear should be the same size it was then.
... its crazy. I sometimes checkout goalie equipment in sporting goods stores, having not played myself since the early 70's just to see whats what. For starters, good luck finding a straight bladed goalie stick. Oh sure sure I get it that they have slight curves in order to aid & ease shooting, but tell ya what, that right there is a liability in STOPPING the puck, you know, like your main job in playing the position properly. If you stop a spinning rotating puck with your stick flush to the ice, tilted forward a bit if straight on in order to deaden the rebound, or angled to redirect the shot into a corner, if it hits the curve part, well, that puck will wind up just about anywhere....

and ya, the catchers today are not built for speed, the quick grab, massively oversized pockets & cuffs is akin to wearing a full wrist & hand cast wrapped to the knuckles. Theres no "feel" to them. Nothing organic. And thats a shame. Anyone who's ever played baseball or even just catch using a glove appreciates the joy in catching a ball properly. Sure occasionally it'll "sting" if you get nailed with a hard one right on the palm or if it clips your baby finger or whatever but so what? Grin n' bear it. Ive caught pucks that have torn the glove right off of my hand sending it over the glass and into the stands. Pretty hilarious really. Stupid shooter fell for the old open palm arm extended "dare ya" trick, and I never even saw the puck in flight after it left the brainiacs stick. Didnt even have to move my arm or hand. Shouldve kept a supply of Kewpie Dolls on top of the net to give out as prizes for hitting the target, my open mitt. Total suckers. Yet this too, with the over compensation has become a lost art; the glove save.

I mean honestly.... why would you do that to equipment? Remember as a kid that new leather glove, new car type smell, breaking it in "just so", seriously looking after it (or not), making it your own? Theyve taken all the fun away...

Old
11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
... its crazy. I sometimes checkout goalie equipment in sporting goods stores, having not played myself since the early 70's just to see whats what. For starters, good luck finding a straight bladed goalie stick. Oh sure sure I get it that they have slight curves in order to aid & ease shooting, but tell ya what, that right there is a liability in STOPPING the puck, you know, like your main job in playing the position properly. If you stop a spinning rotating puck with your stick flush to the ice, tilted forward a bit if straight on in order to deaden the rebound, or angled to redirect the shot into a corner, if it hits the curve part, well, that puck will wind up just about anywhere....

and ya, the catchers today are not built for speed, the quick grab, massively oversized pockets & cuffs is akin to wearing a full wrist & hand cast wrapped to the knuckles. Theres no "feel" to them. Nothing organic. And thats a shame. Anyone who's ever played baseball or even just catch using a glove appreciates the joy in catching a ball properly. Sure occasionally it'll "sting" if you get nailed with a hard one right on the palm or if it clips your baby finger or whatever but so what? Grin n' bear it. Ive caught pucks that have torn the glove right off of my hand sending it over the glass and into the stands. Pretty hilarious really. Stupid shooter fell for the old open palm arm extended "dare ya" trick, and I never even saw the puck in flight after it left the brainiacs stick. Didnt even have to move my arm or hand. Shouldve kept a supply of Kewpie Dolls on top of the net to give out as prizes for hitting the target, my open mitt. Total suckers. Yet this too, with the over compensation has become a lost art; the glove save.

I mean honestly.... why would you do that to equipment? Remember as a kid that new leather glove, new car type smell, breaking it in "just so", seriously looking after it (or not), making it your own? Theyve taken all the fun away...
Oh man, you are just pushing all my buttons with these "old goalie" posts.

First, the curved stick. Yes, it does affect rebounds and the like and it reflects a certain laziness in approach to mastering the position. I treated goaltending as a craft that had to be learned and mastered and part of that was practicing clearing and shooting the puck; just as important as stopping the puck! Shooting the puck with two hands as well as one-handed sweeping and poking of the puck to knock it to the corner or away from a defender. And shooting of the puck involved being able to lift it in the air over an opponent's stick. All of that can be done with a straight bladed stick and it's not worth the extra "edge" you think you get with a curved stick when you consider the crazy rebound possibilities.

Gloves: I don't see how goalies today actually "catch" the puck with those big flapdoodles that don't feel "organic" as you said.

Leather pads: I was forever oiling my leg pads, blocker and catching glove with neats foot oil to keep them supple and from drying out and cracking. Those were my weapons of war and I spent time making sure all of my equipment was in top shape!

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Oh man, you are just pushing all my buttons with these "old goalie" posts.
... ya, Im afraid Seals we've turned into those Crusty old Curmudgeons who claimed we were sissy's for wearing a mask, that "back in my day, I used a half'a hollowed out grapefruit as a jock, my Grandaddys cricket pads from the British Championships at Wembley in 1883, a rat eaten boxing glove as a blocker and nothing but my bare hand wrapped in tape under a kid leather opera glove to catch the puck... outdoors, -30 with the windchill factor in whiteouts... three hour hike in skates across the frozen prairie wastes to get there... in the dark.... wouldnt get home til 4.... then I had to milk 200 head of Guernseys by hand... clean their stalls.... cut & sell chords of wood so we could buy sugar & flour... school?... Ha!"...

God, one guy I had as a Goalie Coach in the mid-60's had played pro for years in just about every minor league that ever existed. Close to 90yrs of age. Born during the Civil War. Chain smoking one handed rolled cigarettes from start to finish of every practice; taking "nips" from a sterling silver flask some team in Podunk wherever gave him in 19 odd two.... Another guy, he had his pro career horribly end when using those short flopper type pads of the 50's with the top strap either completely removed or undone. Goes down to stop a shot, the puck first shattering one knee cap, hideously ricocheting off to the immediate left exploding the other one into about 97 pieces. Woke up in the hospital like weeks later.... in both cases however, these guys understood the position, were real students themselves, able to appreciate, convey & teach a hybrid style of stand-up & butterfly that was every bit as sophisticated as the leading lights of the time in Plante & Hall.

Last edited by Killion: 11-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.