HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please no habs player x for St-Louis proposals

Old
05-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Forget about St. Louis, he has a no trade clause in his contract.
To be honest it just looks like Feaster is rewarding his big 3, and he isn't concerned about the ramifications outside of locking them up one bit. The Bolts would be in at $43.5M with their current contracts plus hypothetically returning all their free agents at last year's salaries. Of course, not all the free agents could be re-signed at last year's salaries (Kubina being a prime example). But the point being, they have the freedom to work on it themselves, nobody will be able to force them into doing anything they don't want to. Like trading one of the big 3 they so obviously want to make the longterm cornerstones of the franchise. It's a gutsy position to take, but I wonder how practical it will turn out to be.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
To be honest it just looks like Feaster is rewarding his big 3, and he isn't concerned about the ramifications outside of locking them up one bit. The Bolts would be in at $43.5M with their current contracts plus hypothetically returning all their free agents at last year's salaries. Of course, not all the free agents could be re-signed at last year's salaries (Kubina being a prime example). But the point being, they have the freedom to work on it themselves, nobody will be able to force them into doing anything they don't want to. Like trading one of the big 3 they so obviously want to make the longterm cornerstones of the franchise. It's a gutsy position to take, but I wonder how practical it will turn out to be.
Gutsy is putting it politely.

Tampa has 13 players under contract for next year at a total of almost $34 million dollars. Kubina is as good as gone which leaves only Boyle and the bargain priced Ranger as decent blue-liners (Sydor's contract really looks ugly). Feaster also has to fill a huge hole in net, unless he's convinced himself that Sean Burke is the answer.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Gutsy is putting it politely.

Tampa has 13 players under contract for next year at a total of almost $34 million dollars. Kubina is as good as gone which leaves only Boyle and the bargain priced Ranger as decent blue-liners (Sydor's contract really looks ugly). Feaster also has to fill a huge hole in net, unless he's convinced himself that Sean Burke is the answer.
Yeah, but starting from here, it's doable. Because afterall, they essentially did exactly the same thing last year. Aside from Fedotenko, none of their other unsigned forwards is going to draw million dollar salaries. Same as last year. Sarich and Kubina could go on D, but maybe they think they have more Rangers around (Rogers, O'Brien, Egener, Helbling, some of those European FA types... plugging a couple of defense holes at minimum salaries is far from impossible)... ditto goalies... what really will be different than last year? It's like, they just take the extra $4M cap room they get from the league increase, and drop it all in Richards' pocket. Status quo, but now they have their favourite player locked in. Maybe that status quo isn't such a tough pill to swallow when you're coming off a Cup win and still have a couple years of basking in the glory to get by on?

Old
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Yeah, but starting from here, it's doable. Because afterall, they essentially did exactly the same thing last year. Aside from Fedotenko, none of their other unsigned forwards is going to draw million dollar salaries. Same as last year. Sarich and Kubina could go on D, but maybe they think they have more Rangers around (Rogers, O'Brien, Egener, Helbling, some of those European FA types... plugging a couple of defense holes at minimum salaries is far from impossible)... ditto goalies... what really will be different than last year? It's like, they just take the extra $4M cap room they get from the league increase, and drop it all in Richards' pocket. Status quo, but now they have their favourite player locked in. Maybe that status quo isn't such a tough pill to swallow when you're coming off a Cup win and still have a couple years of basking in the glory to get by on?
It's doable no doubt, but it also makes it very difficult to impossible for Tampa to improve (which truth be told, really doesn't bother me in the least ). Having three star players, with no depth and a suspect cast of supporting players (acquired on the cheap), IMO is not the best way to build a team.

Old
05-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It's doable no doubt, but it also makes it very difficult to impossible for Tampa to improve (which truth be told, really doesn't bother me in the least ). Having three star players, with no depth and a suspect cast of supporting players (acquired on the cheap), IMO is not the best way to build a team.
Not mine either. But then, I've never been a Stanley Cup-winning NHL General Manager, so what do I know, hey? Maybe they have 3 star players and a bunch of hungry kids who want to be the next generation of overpaid stars, all playing hungry and happy with their beachhouses and $-friendly GM to look after them if they make it. Maybe it all comes together in a winning formula under the whip of Tortorella. Particularly a year or two down the road when the kids get just a bit more experience and the 3 stars are still in their prime and the cap goes up just a smidgin more and some other Prospal/Burke types of contracts expire. Maybe, maybe, maybe. It's nutty. But maybe less nutty than not keeping Richards or feeling like you have to trade him? I'd rather be in Feaster's shoes than Lamoriello's, though. Feaster has his 3 guys signed. Elias, Gomez, and Gionta on the other hand...

Old
05-23-2006, 12:54 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Not mine either. But then, I've never been a Stanley Cup-winning NHL General Manager, so what do I know, hey? Maybe they have 3 star players and a bunch of hungry kids who want to be the next generation of overpaid stars, all playing hungry and happy with their beachhouses and $-friendly GM to look after them if they make it. Maybe it all comes together in a winning formula under the whip of Tortorella. Particularly a year or two down the road when the kids get just a bit more experience and the 3 stars are still in their prime and the cap goes up just a smidgin more and some other Prospal/Burke types of contracts expire. Maybe, maybe, maybe. It's nutty. But maybe less nutty than not keeping Richards or feeling like you have to trade him? I'd rather be in Feaster's shoes than Lamoriello's, though. Feaster has his 3 guys signed. Elias, Gomez, and Gionta on the other hand...
Lamoriello also has less cap space to do it with, apparently the Malakhov and Mogilny contracts (7.1 million worth) may count towards this years cap. Gomez and Gionta will no doubt get the raises they deserve, but I can't see the Devils having enough cap space to sign Elias (especially after Feaster up his market price with the Richards deal).