HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
I think the oilers let him go, he was snubbed 2 years ago and couldnt go last year obviously. I think at the end of the day it is a respect thing to RNH, ask him if he wants to go. if he says yes you let him if he says no you let him stay. Hall, Eberle and Yak have all got to play, i think he should go.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
I think the oilers let him go, he was snubbed 2 years ago and couldnt go last year obviously. I think at the end of the day it is a respect thing to RNH, ask him if he wants to go. if he says yes you let him if he says no you let him stay. Hall, Eberle and Yak have all got to play, i think he should go.
It may be the only chance in his career to actually win something.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:45 AM
AUAIOMRN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Nope. The barrons are having so many damn problems. He needs to stick around the help fix the problems not run away from them.
Apparently someone exists that cares more about an AHL team than the WJC.

Quote:
We've got a hell of a lot more talent than we need to dominate and part of it has to do with the fact that our Barron's coach is demanding responsible 2 way play out of all of our players.
We have more talent than we need to dominate because the Baron's coach is demanding 2 way play? I know those words but that sentance makes no sense.

Quote:
Hopkins, Eberle and Hall can't play soft minutes playing behind Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger this year. They need to learn to play responsible hockey in the AHL. If they can't do this at this level, then they never will.
Really? Never? Somehow I don't think missing a couple weeks will hurt RNH that much.

Quote:
We need top 6 forwards who're going to score goals than they're gong to let in when it's even strength.
And we need to do way instain mother!

Quote:
Honestly, Hopkins doesn't deserve to play in the WJC. He's a 1st overall pick who's letting his team lose half of their games and he's playing on a team so stacked that nobody could imagine anything standing up against the at the beginning of the season.
SINGLE-HANDEDLY losing his team half of their games!

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:56 AM
shogun99

If there's a lockout i'm pretty sure that every U20 player will go. Teams are going to be stacked so why shouldn't RNH go?

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Nope. The barrons are having so many damn problems. He needs to stick around the help fix the problems not run away from them.

We've got a hell of a lot more talent than we need to dominate and part of it has to do with the fact that our Barron's coach is demanding responsible 2 way play out of all of our players.

Hopkins, Eberle and Hall can't play soft minutes playing behind Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger this year. They need to learn to play responsible hockey in the AHL. If they can't do this at this level, then they never will. We need top 6 forwards who're going to score goals than they're gong to let in when it's even strength.

We can't just hope that we get tons of powerplays to rack the score up on these guys.

Remember that 3 game stretch we got last season where we didn't get a single powerplay? That'll happen again. Honestly, Hopkins doesn't deserve to play in the WJC. He's a 1st overall pick who's letting his team lose half of their games and he's playing on a team so stacked that nobody could imagine anything standing up against the at the beginning of the season.
WOW, pure and utter nonsense.
He would be running away from the Barons problems by playing for his country in a highly competitive tournament?
He is letting them lose games? What the hell does that even mean?

I'm not saying that there can't be an argument made for him staying in OKC and bypassing the WJC opportunity but your reasoning is beyond ridiculous.
I think that it would be a good experience for him to lead his country in a hostile environment in Russia in a highly competitive tournament as opposed to playing some relatively meaningless AHL games in the dog days of the AHL season. It would be good for him to take on a leadership role and perhaps get the taste of winning for pretty much the only time in his career, i don't see how it will hurt his development.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:08 AM
alanschu

Quote:
as opposed to playing some relatively meaningless AHL games in the dog days of the AHL season.
This undermines your argument.

It'll be a good experience for RNH to learn how to deal with the dog days of a season playing some "meaningless games" as well. I'd argue it's probably one of the most important things about becoming a pro, to be frank.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It may be the only chance in his career to actually win something.
Haha you just jinxed team Canada!
He'll atleast do it the Oiler way. Get hurt.

Honestly I'd just go to him and say. "If you want to go, we're fine with it and support your decision either way. "

This is one of those times you let a player make the decision as either way I don't think it's going to have any long term effects on RNH. He's not going to magically learn how to win from this tournament. It's a life experience for him not a development one.

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Cacciaguida

this is probably his last chance to participate. let him go if he wants.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post
this is probably his last chance to participate. let him go if he wants.
This IS his last chance

notloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:35 PM
HighSynergy

go and let him dominate

HighSynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:39 PM
ales83fan

I said no.

I wouldn't let yakupov go either.

I don't care much about them dominating juniors, they need to play against men.

Cogliano was awesome at the WJC.....didn't mean much at the NHL level.

If he really wants to go, I'd let him, but I would recommend he doesn't

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Roof Daddy

Quick question about the Nuge for those who can answer it. If the lockout goes all year, does this season count as a sliding year of his ELC? I see on capgeek they have him listed as ELC SR, the SR I was to believe meant sliding years remaining. If someone can confirm this it would be appreciated.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
I don't care much about them dominating juniors, they need to play against men.
He will miss what, two, three weeks at the most? The tournament is quite intense and the teams will be stacked this year, not to mention it could be the most exciting hockey played in a whole a year. The skill level isn't that much of a dramatic drop off from the AHL and the compete level is pretty high. I think it could be argued that sending the Nuge to the world Jrs would help his development.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:30 PM
lakai17

I still can't believe Canadian scouting cut him in his draft year. Yakupov vs Nuge in the gold medal game would be great entertainment, although Sweden and USA are contenders as well.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Everest

like a lot of other people...I think its a no brainer he goes.

In fact...I find it a bit odd either RNH or his team (AHL or NHL) aren't willing to go ahead and make some sort of public confirmation that he is at least interested in attending (some) of the try out camp.

It would make things a bit easier for the selection commitee if they knew where they stand with RNH's status and I really don't see the harm in OKC knowing a few weeks in advance they will NOT have this player around for about a month worth of time over the holidays.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This IS his last chance
You make it sound like there is no chance he'll ever be under 20 years old again

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Oil Gauge

Why aren't people upset about Yakupov playing in the Summit Series thing? That is just a bunch of exhibition games.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Why aren't people upset about Yakupov playing in the Summit Series thing? That is just a bunch of exhibition games.
agreed he should be playing against men in the KHL

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Do the Oilers actually have a say if he can go or not seeing as how he's locked out from the Oilers?

Either way if should up to Ryan if he wants to go imo.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
agreed he should be playing against men in the KHL
There was a break in the KHL schedule was there not?

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Do the Oilers actually have a say if he can go or not seeing as how he's locked out from the Oilers?

Either way if should up to Ryan if he wants to go imo.
The Oilers own and opporate the Barons, RNH is contracted to play for the barons, therefor the barons would have to release him to go play in the WJC

Old
11-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Elim99

Quote:
The Oilers own and opporate the Barons, RNH is contracted to play for the barons, therefor the barons would have to release him to go play in the WJC
The Oilers don't own the Barons but I believe it's their call if they want Hopkins to play in the WJC.

Elim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim99 View Post
The Oilers don't own the Barons but I believe it's their call if they want Hopkins to play in the WJC.
Well then the Oiler loaned him to OKC so they have the say on what they do with him.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Well then the Oiler loaned him to OKC so they have the say on what they do with him.
I'd assume that the Oilers have no authority to assign him anywhere right now since the last CBA has expired since they assigned him to OKC.

11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Quick question about the Nuge for those who can answer it. If the lockout goes all year, does this season count as a sliding year of his ELC? I see on capgeek they have him listed as ELC SR, the SR I was to believe meant sliding years remaining. If someone can confirm this it would be appreciated.
The new cba will most likely determine that. I find it's a waste of time learning all the nuances of an nhl cba not just because they change so much, so often but because even during an existing contract they're always finding new ways of "interpreting" it, loopholes, whatever.

I bet if you asked KLowe, Bettman and Burke that question at the same time they'd kill each other fighting over the answer.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote