HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

How good is MHL compared to CHL/WHL/QMHJL?

Old
11-19-2012, 12:35 PM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
How good is MHL compared to CHL/WHL/QMHJL?

What are the differences in skill and quality in your opinion? I think if MHL continues its progress it will be able to keep alot of talent home and not going off to WHL/CHL. so what is your opinion?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:00 PM
wings5

Imo the MHL is like the Q, a few very high end players which are more talented than the OHL and WHL but not as much depth and physicality. However the leagues have very different styles. I think russian forwards are more naturally skilled due to their training focus than NA players but the defenders are what is the big difference between the two leagues. The defence lacks quality and depth compared to the NA leagues in particular the OHL and WHL. I think it would be nice to see the champions of Russia v.s the champions of the CHL or even the individual CHL leagues.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Imo the MHL is like the Q, a few very high end players which are more talented than the OHL and WHL but not as much depth and physicality. However the leagues have very different styles. I think russian forwards are more naturally skilled due to their training focus than NA players but the defenders are what is the big difference between the two leagues. The defence lacks quality and depth compared to the NA leagues in particular the OHL and WHL. I think it would be nice to see the champions of Russia v.s the champions of the CHL or even the individual CHL leagues.
This one day ... maybe

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:17 PM
zorz

I don't have general knowledge of both leagues, but I'm following Czech players in CHL and the Czech team in MHL. And honestly, I have no idea how to compare these two. To be able to compare this, we'd have to have a fair number of players who played both leagues in short period of time and for some reasonable number of games, which is quite impossible.

So the only thing that can help us to compare these two leagues is WJC. But we still don't have adequate sample of years and players to do so yet IMO...

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I don't have general knowledge of both leagues, but I'm following Czech players in CHL and the Czech team in MHL. And honestly, I have no idea how to compare these two. To be able to compare this, we'd have to have a fair number of players who played both leagues in short period of time and for some reasonable number of games, which is quite impossible.

So the only thing that can help us to compare these two leagues is WJC. But we still don't have adequate sample of years and players to do so yet IMO...
hope Tomecek will play WJC in Ufa, he is not on roster of Red Stars so IMO he is considered to play WJC.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
hope Tomecek will play WJC in Ufa, he is not on roster of Red Stars so IMO he is considered to play WJC.
He probably is. But I don't know how this works. I gotta admit that I thought until now that they pick only Russians for that team

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:25 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
He probably is. But I don't know how this works. I gotta admit that I thought until now that they pick only Russians for that team
not at all. Red Stars have had players from abroad, mainly Latvians (no good foreigners in MHL, Tomecek is exception, I would consider Kverka as well). Players must be good, not playing WJC and elder.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
i would say Red Stars team this year is NOT good, and last year was pretty bad as well.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:57 AM
GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
This one day ... maybe
Well, this summer we had some mid-table CHL vs. MHL games during the World Junior Club Cup.

Sudbury Wolves - HK Riga 1:2 SO
Dynamo Shinnik - Sudbury Wolves 2:5

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
J Murda

At this point it seems a little tricky to compare the two as both games are marginally different. That's the obvious part I can say with the limited amount of MHL action I have seen. It appears that the talent is definitely there, but I would have to say the biggest difference is the culture.

First of all, stating the obvious, the extra 15 feet on the boards makes huge difference in offensive and defensive approaches. The extra room makes for more fluent breakouts and a higher difficulty to close the gap as a forechecker. In Russia, you see offensive rushes where the F1 typically carries the puck in past the blueline and uses the room to make a play, whereas in Canada a lot of the times the defenseman will angle that forward out and force him to play the puck deep into the corner where the F2 will then try to bulldoze the other defenseman before he can play the puck out of the zone. Just a small example of the difference of styles.

The biggest thing that separates the leagues is the physicality and the mentality of the physicality. I know there are some massive hits in the MHL, but it''s not the same. Canadian junior hockey culture is all about finishing your checks and laying guys out. I remember when I started playing competitive hockey in bantam and midget it seemed like the puck didn't even matter out there and you had to keep your head up all the time or you'd get smashed for sure. Then there's the fights... they are certainly not for everybody, but they are a very much a part of the game here. In the WHL, its uncommon to see a game without at least one fight, and it's quite common to see games that have a lot of them. The brute mentality is the biggest difference I see in the leagues.

Having said all that, I think what's happening with the MHL is great for the overall game and I hope it continues to flourish and grow. I'm with Vorky on hoping the World Junior Club Cup meets its potential sooner than later, but unfortunately there are still some grey areas so it''s still closer to an exhibition tournament than a championship tournament, but as the years go on I think we will have a better understanding of how close these leagues are to one another. Hopefully Hockey Canada starts taking it a little more seriously.

I guess to put a final stamp on my little summary, I would say that the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL are the closest thing you are going to get to to the style of the NHL, and the MHL has the closest resemblance to the KHL. I can see a lot more players staying home now because the quality of hockey is better, but for a high end player who is looking for a career in the NHL, it might still be wise to go to Canada, where they can adapt to the culture and style. To close out, I want to add that I think it would be awesome if Canadian kids started going over there and joining junior teams in the future.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

IIRC few seasons ago Magnitogorsk (Steel Foxes) MHL team beat KHL Magnitogorsk team 4:3 late in pre-season...

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote