HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I hope so. I'm a bit worried that 30 was an unrepeatable fluke.
He certainly benefited from the fact he was kinda flying under the radar.

The role he was in was perfect for him, teams were not expecting this kind of a production from him. Heck, we didn`t.

That being said, I agree with CD. He has the tools, so why not. As long as he stays on the 3rd line and keeps getting some PP minutes though.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:52 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

its funny to see the stuff posted about zajac that we posted about parise. long lists of why he will stay, highlighted by having the loyalty of a st. bernard and the moral compass of the dalai lama.

we know lou will make a respectable offer. if he wants to stay, he'll stay. if he wants to go, then **** off forever.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

No dude, that`s not funny AT ALL.

Seriously though, in Parise`s case it was pure speculation and calculation on my (and EEs) part. I honestly believe in everything I said today.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
hockeyr5

vCash: 891
Zajac is my favorite player in the league; I'll be so sad if he leaves.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I have no reason to believe Zajac will leave. I also have no reason to believe he'll stay. Parise I knew was gone from the moment the one year contract was signed. Certain points of the season I did start leaning towards there's a chance he would stay, and I listened to others reasons about why the one year contract was given which were valid reasons.

The things he said, the fact he wouldn't take about UFA from mid season until break up day after the SCF ended(When he filled the fans, and media with crap) all the little hidden things like ''You work hard your entire career to get to unrestricted free agency'' I knew he was gone. That was ignoring the Suter package deal rumors too that started mid season, which became true. I can't believe anyone would think he was sincere about wanting to stay after what he pulled. Though I did believe he wanted to go to a winner. Going to Minnesota was the most shocking thing.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I have no reason to believe Zajac will leave. I also have no reason to believe he'll stay. Parise I knew was gone from the moment the one year contract was signed. Certain points of the season I did start leaning towards there's a chance he would stay, and I listened to others reasons about why the one year contract was given which were valid reasons.

The things he said, the fact he wouldn't take about UFA from mid season until break up day after the SCF ended(When he filled the fans, and media with crap) all the little hidden things like ''You work hard your entire career to get to unrestricted free agency'' I knew he was gone. That was ignoring the Suter package deal rumors too that started mid season, which became true. I can't believe anyone would think he was sincere about wanting to stay after what he pulled. Though I did believe he wanted to go to a winner. Going to Minnesota was the most shocking thing.
So Parise's logic is you work hard to make it to UFA so you can ditch a team you went to the Cup Finals with for a fringe playoff team that overpaid for you? That's what hockey is about to him?

Glad he's gone.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
So Parise's logic is you work hard to make it to UFA so you can ditch a team you went to the Cup Finals with for a fringe playoff team that overpaid for you? That's what hockey is about to him?

Glad he's gone.
Yes he said something like this somewhere halfway through the season. Not word for word, but close enough that it was almost exactly like that. I'm not sure if it was to the TG/Devils media, or if it were an interview with someone else. Pretty sure it was not with TG or Chere or Devils media though. It was probably just before he stopped answering questions about free agency which was around the return from all star break.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I still can't believe he asked Dany Heatley for advice about winning.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Why not? Heatley's played 5 more playoff games than Parise!

I'm still pissed he hasn't come forward to try to play in the Sandy charity game in AC. While it's his right not to, he was a resident of Hoboken, and would definitely be a desirable player for the game.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
its funny to see the stuff posted about zajac that we posted about parise. long lists of why he will stay, highlighted by having the loyalty of a st. bernard and the moral compass of the dalai lama.

we know lou will make a respectable offer. if he wants to stay, he'll stay. if he wants to go, then **** off forever.
Most fans seem to think the players like the team they are on just as much as we do, and most of the time, it's not the case.

The fact that someone like Zajac has no ties to NJ bugs me, it's not like him and his family are living in NJ, or anything like that. It's the same thing that had me worried with ZP, he had a boatload of personal ties to Minnesota, his girlfriend is from there, he grew up from there, his dad played there. In NJ, he was drafted, was a captain, and made the SCF.

Like I say to people, if you had a job that offered you just as much money to go back home as it did for you stay miles away from your family, fiancee/girlfriend, etc., would you move back home? Unless the person hated his hometown, etc., 99 percent of people are going to go back home.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Why not? Heatley's played 5 more playoff games than Parise!

I'm still pissed he hasn't come forward to try to play in the Sandy charity game in AC. While it's his right not to, he was a resident of Hoboken, and would definitely be a desirable player for the game.
What? He lives in Minnesota. There's absolutely no reason for him to play in an AC charity game, he probably sold the house in Hoboken months ago.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:35 PM
lboogie42*

we can live without zajac. we went like 3 quarters of the season without him and still did pretty good. but it would help to have a solid center like him

Old
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Parise I knew was gone from the moment the one year contract was signed.
why? it came down to us or minnesota in the end…so obviously, 1 year contract or not, we had a good chance at re-signing him. I don’t think the 1 year contract had anything to do with it. im sure we weren’t giving him as much money as minny, plus you think his girl didn’t push hard for the ‘return home’? would you switch teams for more money and to shut her up? I probably would

Old
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

No I would not move back to Jersey for more money. In fact I moved here for less money. Literally less than half.

Not every player wants to go home. Marty loved the Habs as a kid, and probably would have played there any time he wanted to aside from now cause they got Price locked up. The Wild came into existence when Zach was 16.

I thought guys like to go to teams that win too? Minnesota hasn't won a playoff round since the year Parise was drafted. Winnipeg hasn't ever won a round going back to the 99 Thrashers, and Toronto is the only team since the last lockout to not have made the playoffs. Minnesota might even have to purge another good player if they're in cap hell anyway.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
we can live without zajac. we went like 3 quarters of the season without him and still did pretty good. but it would help to have a solid center like him
Yes, but we would prefer not to. Our centre group is much stronger with Zajac than it is without it.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
What? He lives in Minnesota. There's absolutely no reason for him to play in an AC charity game, he probably sold the house in Hoboken months ago.
No offense Zippy, and it's nothing personal. I've seen you defend Parise plenty on here which is fine. Though you've also said you believe he was sincere about wanting to stay. Months before he left there were rumors, and of him being a package deal with Suter, and that's what turned out to happen. It's like thinking Brent Sutter was sincere for going back home cause he was homesick only to take the job in Calgary. Another rumor that was leaked months before that came true.

Also losing Zajac would not be good unless we traded for another center. Our faceoff percentage was terrible last year, but slightly less terrible when he was in the lineup. We also had Parise last year when we were missing Zajac.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
any devils fan who can be objective and honest about zajac will tell you…it’s a little sad how much we have riding on him re-signing. a very good playmaker and a defensive forward, but cmon..

that being said, we NEED to re-sign him. I’d like to see lou take parise’s money and get a good winger for him, through trade or FA. commit to zajac and show him we’re moving on without parise. maybe even give him the ‘C’

Old
11-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
why? it came down to us or minnesota in the end…so obviously, 1 year contract or not, we had a good chance at re-signing him. I don’t think the 1 year contract had anything to do with it. im sure we weren’t giving him as much money as minny, plus you think his girl didn’t push hard for the ‘return home’? would you switch teams for more money and to shut her up? I probably would
I love you man, but sometimes It's hard to tell when you're serious or not!

Old
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Losing Zajac would be disastrous. Losing Parise hurts a lot, but mostly in a "we lost the guy who's been the face of our franchise" way. Losing Zajac is losing the glue that holds our lineup together.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Faceoffs were definitely a low point for us last year. We didn't give up many PP goals, but many times when we did, we lost a timely faceoff. This also happened in the playoffs against Florida constantly, and the tying goal in game 4 vs LA after Clarkson's BS penalty comes to mind immediately.

We were second worst in the league in faceoffs last year next to Calgary I think. I'm also afraid we won't upgrade if we lose Zajac, the same way we haven't upgraded by losing Parise. I'm afraid the alternative would be Josefson to second line center, or Elias back at center. I love Patty, but he is downright ugly on faceoffs.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
CerebralGenesis

Even though they haven't had a game yet, do the Devils have cash yet?

Old
11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
What`s worse? That or him asking Heatley how to score goals from outside the blue paint?

Old
11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Parise signing a 1-year deal at the time is moot.

When he signed it, it made the most sense for both parties. He wanted a short contract to prove himself for a big payday after his injury, and Lou didn't want to commit long-term to a player with injury question marks. It made sense then, and it makes sense now.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Parise signing a 1-year deal at the time is moot.

When he signed it, it made the most sense for both parties. He wanted a short contract to prove himself for a big payday after his injury, and Lou didn't want to commit long-term to a player with injury question marks. It made sense then, and it makes sense now.
That's why I said the reasons others presented for the one year contract were valid. Perhaps that was the reason for Lou. I think Zach knew he was gone. He definitely knew mid season when these Suter rumors, and package deal stuff was flying around. Not to mention Nashville was trying to lock up Suter for a better part of last season, and he wouldn't sign an extension.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
No I would not move back to Jersey for more money. In fact I moved here for less money. Literally less than half.

Not every player wants to go home. Marty loved the Habs as a kid, and probably would have played there any time he wanted to aside from now cause they got Price locked up. The Wild came into existence when Zach was 16.

I thought guys like to go to teams that win too? Minnesota hasn't won a playoff round since the year Parise was drafted. Winnipeg hasn't ever won a round going back to the 99 Thrashers, and Toronto is the only team since the last lockout to not have made the playoffs. Minnesota might even have to purge another good player if they're in cap hell anyway.
You'd be absolutely stupid to say that the Devils have a brighter future than the Wild right now. Wild have a lot of very good prospects that are coming in soon, they aren't by any means a bad team. They started the year off well before injuries really set them back.

Minnesota gives him the better chance to win in the future IMO, especially with Suter in the mix as well.

Quote:
No offense Zippy, and it's nothing personal. I've seen you defend Parise plenty on here which is fine. Though you've also said you believe he was sincere about wanting to stay. Months before he left there were rumors, and of him being a package deal with Suter, and that's what turned out to happen. It's like thinking Brent Sutter was sincere for going back home cause he was homesick only to take the job in Calgary. Another rumor that was leaked months before that came true.

Also losing Zajac would not be good unless we traded for another center. Our faceoff percentage was terrible last year, but slightly less terrible when he was in the lineup. We also had Parise last year when we were missing Zajac.
That's all they were, rumors. We heard rumors about him going to pretty much every big name city for the past two years.

Closed Thread