HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 09:25 PM
flyers28giroux

vCash: 500
This is how my U.S. world junior team would look:

Grimaldi - Galchenyuk - Miller

Gaudreau - Kurlay - Noesen

Lucia - Trocheck - Biggs

Hartman - Matteau - Vail

Kerdiles

Jones - Trouba

C. Murphy - Gostisbehere

Skeji - M. Reilly

Grzelcyk

Gibson

Sparks

Stolarz

Old
10-11-2012, 12:53 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Any chance Parker Milner makes it?

Old
10-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Really not a fan of the squad this year... don't see them being in the Championship, but i'll still be rooting for them.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:35 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
Any chance Parker Milner makes it?
Boston College's goalie? No, he's way too old. This tournament is for 1993 or younger players. Milner was born in 1990.

10-14-2012, 07:57 AM
RussianRocket10

I'm hoping for good things this time but I'm not so sure USA will even get a medal. Canada is looking like they will have a stacked roster and I haven't seen anything of Russia or Sweden but I'm thinking they will both be pretty strong again this year. It'll certainly be an improvement over last time though, at least I hope.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

The team is set in goal (led by Gibson) and has some excellent pieces on defense (with the likes of Jones, Murphy, etc.). Top notch #1 center (Galchenyuk), some puck wizard midgets (Gaudreau, Grimaldi, etc.), and some brute/power forward types to ride shotgun (Biggs, Hartmann, Matteau, etc.). Some additional scoring with guys like Trocheck and Kuraly as well. Chemistry is always a question mark, but the talent is certainly there. I think the "x" factor is going to be Housley. He'll employ an up-tempo offensive game, and if the team can execute (like they did in 2010 under Dean Blais) it could be a really dangerous team. IMO this is a wide-open tournament. Canada's vaunted depth due to the lockout is a bit of a red herring as the only major addition (IMO) is RNH. One guy won't win them the title. Russia of course has home ice, and Sweden looks good as well.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Canada's vaunted depth due to the lockout is a bit of a red herring as the only major addition (IMO) is RNH. One guy won't win them the title.
Hi RR,

If you remember, even in 2005, it wasn't the "major additions" that made a difference but the players that would have played in the NHL had there been a lockout. I think (correct me if I am wrong) the only player that had played a whole season in the NHL was Bergeron. Having said that, Canada's 2013 lockout team will NOT be on the same level as the 2005 team. It may not be close.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Hi RR,

If you remember, even in 2005, it wasn't the "major additions" that made a difference but the players that would have played in the NHL had there been a lockout. I think (correct me if I am wrong) the only player that had played a whole season in the NHL was Bergeron. Having said that, Canada's 2013 lockout team will NOT be on the same level as the 2005 team. It may not be close.

Right. All I'm saying is I don't think the lockout is going to do all that much for Canada this time around. Add in the fact the tournament is in Russia and the North American teams are behind the eight ball a bit. Should be a top-notch tourney though.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:11 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Right. All I'm saying is I don't think the lockout is going to do all that much for Canada this time around. Add in the fact the tournament is in Russia and the North American teams are behind the eight ball a bit. Should be a top-notch tourney though.
A positive (in bold) that may come from almost 3 years of poor drafts. It seems that after the top two picks from 2010 (Hall/Seguin) it has been all down hill. 2010 was a disappointment - was suppose to be great but was average. 2011 was weak. 2012 was even weaker still.

A few (very) good players, here and there, but no country (except for perhaps Sweden) has had anything to brag about.
Looks like the next couple years may make up for it. Let's hope it plays out that way.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 10-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I expect USA to go undefeated in this tournament, and absolutely slaughter every team they face.

This squad could be the most talented squad ever created by any country..ever...

just callin it now

Old
10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

This will be one of the more interesting U.S. WJC rosters in recent memory. Should have a pretty heavy CHL slant. That should add to the CHL/NCAA debate that rages around this time of year. For the U.S. to be successful, Gibson is going to have stand tall in net and the likes of Galchenyuk HAVE to produce.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
collegehockeyguy

i didnt expect travis boyd to make the roster, but as the season goes on it wouldnt surprise me if he does get a spot. 4th line center/PK role. very hard to play against for a 19 year old

i think that USA is underrated this year. early prediction would be silver medal

Old
11-02-2012, 06:21 PM
YashinWorksHard

What about Adam Erne?

Old
11-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
What about Adam Erne?
I think he has a chance to make it. It's very tough as an underager but I, personally am high on Erne. He will obviously need to keep it up.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
A positive (in bold) that may come from almost 3 years of poor drafts. It seems that after the top two picks from 2010 (Hall/Seguin) it has been all down hill. 2010 was a disappointment - was suppose to be great but was average. 2011 was weak. 2012 was even weaker still.

A few (very) good players, here and there, but no country (except for perhaps Sweden) has had anything to brag about.
Looks like the next couple years may make up for it. Let's hope it plays out that way.
It's pretty brazen of you to evaluate the strength of drafts which have taken place no more than two years ago

Old
11-03-2012, 06:06 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I expect USA to go undefeated in this tournament, and absolutely slaughter every team they face.

This squad could be the most talented squad ever created by any country..ever...

just callin it now
i see you are called the dreamer. Now i know why>

Old
11-07-2012, 02:13 AM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
i see you are called the dreamer. Now i know why>

Old
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:

just callin it now

Those are some pretty high expectations but I must admit I like it.

It should be interesting to see how this team does and whether this team can gel cohesively and win some games especially against Canada and Russia.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Cfriss216

Canada will always have the deepest talent pool to choose from when it comes to this tournament. I don't want to hear who might not be there and what not. They still have the best junior league to select from(Canadian hockey league). Anyone who has seen the first 3 games of the subway super series this year knows Russia will be very quick and talented again. USA better play the way they did in 2010 and 2011, otherwise your looking at the possibility of losing 2 games in the round robin again. We're in a very tough group this year.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
Those are some pretty high expectations but I must admit I like it.

It should be interesting to see how this team does and whether this team can gel cohesively and win some games especially against Canada and Russia.
to be honest, it was just a silly comment...never meant it...

figured all the Canada zombies would start up their usual our 3rd team can beat your first team nonsense again, so was just getting my shots in first...

I dont not believe this to be the greatest USA team ever assembled, or the greatest WJC team ever assembled...

it should be a well balanced squad that will be CHL heavy, but have enough talent and grit to win a medal. if Canada thinks they are going to be unbeatable, this is the type of team that can provide shock and awe to those Nucks...

I like teams like this for the US...as long as the goaltending holds up, we will be fine.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
to be honest, it was just a silly comment...never meant it...

figured all the Canada zombies would start up their usual our 3rd team can beat your first team nonsense again, so was just getting my shots in first...

I dont not believe this to be the greatest USA team ever assembled, or the greatest WJC team ever assembled...

it should be a well balanced squad that will be CHL heavy, but have enough talent and grit to win a medal. if Canada thinks they are going to be unbeatable, this is the type of team that can provide shock and awe to those Nucks...

I like teams like this for the US...as long as the goaltending holds up, we will be fine.

One thing I've noticed about US teams in different sports and different levels, if you have a high expectations for them they often fall flat and fail to deliver. When they are dismissed and ignored as a 3rd rate competitor, they get that chip on their shoulder and can impress.

So with that said; we suck, all of our players suck and won't ever be any good at anything.

You can thank me later.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Statsy

It's too bad there aren't more returnees from last year. I would think there would have been quite a few guys looking for a shot at redemption. It's also interesting to note that it does look to be a pretty CHL heavy year, which I think was predicted by some more than a year ago. The US always seems to have issues meshing the junior players with the college guys. They're definitely going to need to get that straightened out this year.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
tourlord*

Why is everybody saying Biggs? He didn't make the team last year and hes going to need to get a lot faster if he wants to make it this this which I just don't see.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Why is everybody saying Biggs? He didn't make the team last year and hes going to need to get a lot faster if he wants to make it this this which I just don't see.
Most players don't make the team multiple years in a row. Biggs' skating is questionable, but he's got a good scoring touch and a physical element that is second to none. For a 3rd-4th line player he is very useful.

His competition also isn't tough. Ryan Hartman is a year younger, always a factor and has only just got his feet wet in the OHL this year. He's not going to bring the physical element at 5-10 and his defensive zone coverage is still a bit of a work in progress. Adam Erne is an underager which is always very difficult to crack the roster and really is a completely different player. He's a scorer, not a grinder and that kind of means he needs to break the top 2 on the right wing. Riley Barber is also a smaller guy at 5-11 who hasn't had a very long track record and is also a 94. So Biggs has age, experience and style up on his biggest competition.

Last edited by Xokkeu: 11-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Most players don't make the team multiple years in a row. Biggs' skating is questionable, but he's got a good scoring touch and a physical element that is second to none. For a 3rd-4th line player he is very useful.

His competition also isn't tough. Ryan Hartman is a year younger, always a factor and has only just got his feet wet in the OHL this year. He's not going to bring the physical element at 5-10 and his defensive zone coverage is still a bit of a work in progress. Adam Erne is an underager which is always very difficult to crack the roster and really is a completely different player. He's a scorer, not a grinder and that kind of means he needs to break the top 2 on the right wing. Riley Barber is also a smaller guy at 5-11 who hasn't had a very long track record and is also a 94. So Biggs has age, experience and style up on his biggest competition.
what?...

Closed Thread