HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DVR ALERT! Isles-Rags '84 Game 5

Old
11-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Potvins Cups

vCash: 500
DVR ALERT! Isles-Rags '84 Game 5

FYI...NY's Greatest Rivalries. On MSG tonight at 9 PM.

Potvins Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
scott99

Sweet, I just watched that game during Hurricane Sandy's aftermath (when I lost cable/internet for 4 days). It's included in the Islander's 10 greatest games DVD set. This was such a great game to watch, the Isles still have all of their stars, and add in Pat Flatley (wearing #8) and Pat Lafontaine.

One of my great memories of watching the game live, was my Uncle, who's a big Ranger's fan, running out of my Dad's house after Morrow scored, slamming the screen door, and just leaving without saying a word. I love my Uncle to death, he's like an older brother to me, and we watch the NHL Draft together every June, but I hafta admit, the sight of him running out of the house and slamming the door, was pretty damned funny.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Sweet, I just watched that game during Hurricane Sandy's aftermath (when I lost cable/internet for 4 days). It's included in the Islander's 10 greatest games DVD set. This was such a great game to watch, the Isles still have all of their stars, and add in Pat Flatley (wearing #8) and Pat Lafontaine.

One of my great memories of watching the game live, was my Uncle, who's a big Ranger's fan, running out of my Dad's house after Morrow scored, slamming the screen door, and just leaving without saying a word. I love my Uncle to death, he's like an older brother to me, and we watch the NHL Draft together every June, but I hafta admit, the sight of him running out of the house and slamming the door, was pretty damned funny.
you spoiled the ending!

Truly, one of the best games ever.

We should have a GDT for that game. And those who think the game is "so much fast and better today" - look again. That game had a fierce pace, lots of skating, hitting, great goaltending - and the better team won (or at least, that's what I recall)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

Awesome! If I remember correctly this game was broadcast on WHT...remember that???

Old
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvins Cups View Post
Awesome! If I remember correctly this game was broadcast on WHT...remember that???
I still have that box.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I still have that box.
Whomecco? (have no idea how to spell that correctly)

Old
11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvins Cups View Post
Whomecco? (have no idea how to spell that correctly)
I think it's Wometco Home Theater? (no TV as a kid after 9 or 11 PM because Nightcap came on)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Bossyfan71

MSG is really playing it and not MSG+?

I would have thought they would have played a game that the Rags would have won since that's "their" channel.

I look forward to watching it tonight.

Mike

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I think it's Wometco Home Theater? (no TV as a kid after 9 or 11 PM because Nightcap came on)
Yup it was on WHT. Great little cable box, only one cable channel.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Bones45

Watched most of this game last night.. so much fun to watch a game like this when there was no stress involved! Goaltending was so much more fun to watch back then -- splits! kick save!! stack the pads!! Now? butterfly... <yawn>

Rangers had some amazing opportunities in the third and OT to win this game -- Isles def weren't playing their best..

Then the Kenny Morrow monster blast from the top of the circle...

On "Sportchannel, Chl 3" for us NY folks.. and very funny to see the old scoreboard and Eastern Airlines logos...

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote