HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Interleague Play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2012, 04:01 PM
  #1
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Interleague Play

has there ever been talk of inter-league play in the CHL say 4-6 games where each league would have to travel to the 1 of the other leagues and would also have one of the other leagues travel to them for example year 1 would have the O travel to the W, W travel to the Q and Q travel to the O and then reverse the next year where the O travel to the Q the Q travel to the W and the W travel to the O. this would not only give some fresh matchups during the regular season, and it would also allow fans in the west to say get a chance to watch players like Mackinnon play live when they wouldn't have been able to today unless they front the money to travel.

I realize this would add an extra expense on CHL teams but if each team left on the thursday and played 2-3 games from Thursday-Sunday and then flew back. that would basically be 1 weekend where they have to travel like that. and depending on the team as Gatineau when going to the O wouldn't be that bad, could still take the bus.

but was just an idea to get some fresh matchups and allow people from all over the country get the opportunity to watch alot of players they likely would never have gotten a chance. wouldn't it be a good thing for say Missassauga to have the Halifax Mooseheads coming to town one night on the schedule?

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
  #2
phillipsj89
Registered User
 
phillipsj89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
has there ever been talk of inter-league play in the CHL say 4-6 games where each league would have to travel to the 1 of the other leagues and would also have one of the other leagues travel to them for example year 1 would have the O travel to the W, W travel to the Q and Q travel to the O and then reverse the next year where the O travel to the Q the Q travel to the W and the W travel to the O. this would not only give some fresh matchups during the regular season, and it would also allow fans in the west to say get a chance to watch players like Mackinnon play live when they wouldn't have been able to today unless they front the money to travel.

I realize this would add an extra expense on CHL teams but if each team left on the thursday and played 2-3 games from Thursday-Sunday and then flew back. that would basically be 1 weekend where they have to travel like that. and depending on the team as Gatineau when going to the O wouldn't be that bad, could still take the bus.

but was just an idea to get some fresh matchups and allow people from all over the country get the opportunity to watch alot of players they likely would never have gotten a chance. wouldn't it be a good thing for say Missassauga to have the Halifax Mooseheads coming to town one night on the schedule?
Thats actually not a bad idea. I would love to see that happen. Would need lots of specifics ironed out, but I really like the idea!

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
  #3
grahamgill31450
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
I've been thinking about something like this for a long time and it would be awesome. There would possibly be a problem with schuduling, like that one team doesn't play more games than another and so forth. I imagine it would work something like this;

ex: The Barrie Colts travel to Halifax to play all of the maritimes teams and then the maritimes teams travel to Barrie (and other teams near Barrie) at some point in the season.

grahamgill31450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:03 PM
  #4
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Would be a cool idea. I'd have no dobuts the likes of London, Kitchener etc. would draw a good crowd in Vancouver.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:48 PM
  #5
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamgill31450 View Post
I've been thinking about something like this for a long time and it would be awesome. There would possibly be a problem with schuduling, like that one team doesn't play more games than another and so forth. I imagine it would work something like this;

ex: The Barrie Colts travel to Halifax to play all of the maritimes teams and then the maritimes teams travel to Barrie (and other teams near Barrie) at some point in the season.
sort of I was thinking doing something like matching up 6 teams 2 from each conference(and the matching would switch every other year) like Halifax, Saint Johns, Barrie, Missassauga, Vancouver, Victoria. then Q travels to WHL, WHL travels to OHL, and OHL travels to the Q so the schedule would look something like

Week 1:
Friday: Halifax @ Vancouver / Saint John's @ Victoria
Sunday: Halifax @ Victoria / Saint Johns @ Vancouver

Week 2:
Friday:Vancouver @ Barrie / Victoria @ Missassauga
Sunday: Victoria @ Barrie / Vancouver @ Missassauga

Week 3:
Friday: Barrie @ Halifax / Missassauga @ Saint Johns
Sunday Missassauga @ Halifax / Barrie @ Saint Johns

do that once a year then the following year they would reverse the schedule and the Barrie/Missassauga would go to Vancouver/Victoria, Vancouver/Victoria would go to Halifax/Saint Johns and Halifax Saint Johns would go to Barrie and Missassauga. after that you would recreate new groups so over time there is always a different matchup thus eventually through a 18 year span every team will have visited every CHL rink.

so each league would only travel once per year but play teams from both leagues. the biggest issue is that the WHL has 22 teams the OHL 20 and Q 18 so there might be a harder time fitting teams in. however starting with the Q which has the least amount of teams you would get 9 groups so in 2 of the groups add a 3rd OHL team and in 4 of the groups add a WHL team. so 6 of the 9 groups would have 7 teams, and instead of playing 2 games in the weekend they would play 3 when playing the league with an extra team. then for the remaining 3 groups who would be down a game just have them play an extra game vs the team they were paired with in there own league. also in the groups of 7 the league which has the 3 teams in the group would need an extra game aswell but again there even numbers so it would be easy to schedule them in that game against other teams with 3 teams from there league in there group.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:49 PM
  #6
leeaf83
Registered User
 
leeaf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
i do think they should do this for exhibition games; 2 games at home vs one league, 2 games on the road vs the other on a rotating basis

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
  #7
nosl
Registered User
 
nosl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baie Nordique (NO)
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
The only real practical matchup combinations (in terms of relative distance) would be:
  • North Bay vs Gatineau
  • North Bay vs Rouyn-Noranda
  • North Bay vs Val-d'Or
  • Sudbury vs Gatineau
  • Sudbury vs Rouyn-Noranda
  • Sudbury vs Val-d'Or
  • Ottawa vs Blainville-Boisbriand
  • Ottawa vs Gatineau
  • Belleville vs Blainville-Boisbriand
  • Belleville vs Gatineau
  • Kingston vs Blainville-Boisbriand
  • Kingston vs Gatineau

You can forget about Sault Sainte Marie (OHL) & Brandon (WHL) because at 1500 km, the distance is far too greast.

If you wanted to add the USHL into the equation, any of these matchup combinations might be possible:

Erie (OHL) vs Youngstown (USHL)
London/Plymouth/Saginaw/Sarnia/Windsor (OHL) vs Muskegon/USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USHL)
Sault Sainte Marie (OHL) vs Green Bay/Muskegon (USHL)
Brandon (WHL) vs Fargo (USHL)


Last edited by nosl: 12-23-2012 at 04:08 PM.
nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
  #8
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
The only real practical matchup combinations (in terms of relative distance) would be:
  • North Bay vs Gatineau
  • North Bay vs Rouyn-Noranda
  • North Bay vs Val-d'Or
  • Sudbury vs Gatineau
  • Sudbury vs Rouyn-Noranda
  • Sudbury vs Val-d'Or
  • Ottawa vs Blainville-Boisbriand
  • Ottawa vs Gatineau
  • Belleville vs Blainville-Boisbriand
  • Belleville vs Gatineau
  • Kingston vs Blainville-Boisbriand
  • Kingston vs Gatineau

You can forget about Sault Sainte Marie (OHL) & Brandon (WHL) because at 1500 km, the distance is far too greast.

If you wanted to add the USHL into the equation, any of these matchup combinations might be possible:

Erie (OHL) vs Youngstown (USHL)
London/Plymouth/Saginaw/Sarnia/Windsor (OHL) vs Muskegon/USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USHL)
Sault Sainte Marie (OHL) vs Green Bay/Muskegon (USHL)
Brandon (WHL) vs Fargo (USHL)
it would be 1 far road trip per season I don't really see the issue, and you need to remember Rouyn Noranda/Gatineau/Val D'or is actually closer to every single OHL team then they are to Halifax. Brandon is also closer to Sault Sainte Marie then they are to Vancouver and Portland aswell.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:52 AM
  #9
Shootmaster_44
Registered User
 
Shootmaster_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
it would be 1 far road trip per season I don't really see the issue, and you need to remember Rouyn Noranda/Gatineau/Val D'or is actually closer to every single OHL team then they are to Halifax. Brandon is also closer to Sault Sainte Marie then they are to Vancouver and Portland aswell.
The thing is in the WHL, teams only play half of the other conference on the road. So Brandon doesn't go to Vancouver every year. The other issue is the cost of flying. Perhaps OHL and QMJHL teams are owned by rich owners that could fly players at will. The WHL features clubs like Swift Current, Prince Albert and the like, small clubs owned by people with shoestring budgets. Heck, Swift is community owned. The other issue is that some WHL cities are hard to fly into, so you couldn't simply have Shawinigan fly through Saskatchewan. Without chartering a plane you couldn't even fly Saskatoon to Regina without going through Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg. I would like to see interleague preseason games. If say Vancouver wanted to bring Saint John in or something that would be interesting. This happens in CIS football, the richer schools will bring in a team from outside their conference for an exhibitiob game. Not all teams do it, but it is interesting to see my Huskies play an out of conference team.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
  #10
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
The thing is in the WHL, teams only play half of the other conference on the road. So Brandon doesn't go to Vancouver every year. The other issue is the cost of flying. Perhaps OHL and QMJHL teams are owned by rich owners that could fly players at will. The WHL features clubs like Swift Current, Prince Albert and the like, small clubs owned by people with shoestring budgets. Heck, Swift is community owned. The other issue is that some WHL cities are hard to fly into, so you couldn't simply have Shawinigan fly through Saskatchewan. Without chartering a plane you couldn't even fly Saskatoon to Regina without going through Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg. I would like to see interleague preseason games. If say Vancouver wanted to bring Saint John in or something that would be interesting. This happens in CIS football, the richer schools will bring in a team from outside their conference for an exhibitiob game. Not all teams do it, but it is interesting to see my Huskies play an out of conference team.
10-15k for a return flight is not the difference between a successful WHL franchise or one going under when you consider there probably bringing in 500k+ in gate revenue a year. the 2 out of conference games would be within the current 72 game schedule so bus/hotel/food cost wouldn't be increasing since your taking away 2 WHL road games to fit these in. the only difference is the flight and if need be the WHL could give some of these teams a bit of money to make it happen. keep in mind to for some of these smaller markets bringing in a team like Halifax/Saint Johns with star power like Mackinnon/Drouin/Huberdeau's of the Q that they normally would never see might help boost attendance and thus bring them more money aswell at the gate. granted they wont always get those teams and might get stuck with a PEI Rocket team or Rouyn Noranda but there is still a chance to see a different team. as far as the flights go, some of the Q teams would need to make a stop in Toronto big deal.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM
  #11
Frankenrogers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
I would like to see a March Madness type tournament with all 60 teams. Don't know how I would set up the brackets. Do it right after the season and the winner could join the three league champs in the Memorial Cup.

Options could be:
Each league getting a site with teams from all 3 leagues so 3 sites x 20 teams with play ins for the bottom teams to make it 16. Gets weird at the end with three winners though.
Or 4 sites throughout the country x 16 teams. This leaves 4 spaces open for maybe USHL or NCAA champs to be invited. Or the top 4 teams in the country get byes.

Frankenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.