HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
If it was a "hockey decision", then who in their right mind would go play for the Oilers. I could understand if he went to Vancouver, but come on, Edmonton is a worse franchise than Anaheim lol

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
If it was a "hockey decision", then who in their right mind would go play for the Oilers. I could understand if he went to Vancouver, but come on, Edmonton is a worse franchise than Anaheim lol
Edmonton has a pretty bright future.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Edmonton has a pretty bright future.
I guess so. That's what happens when the NHL cheats for you and gives you the 1st overall pick in a year when CBJ clearly should have had it. What a crock of **** by the NHL.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^your last 2 posts are a crock!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Musashi

Quote:
I guess so. That's what happens when the NHL cheats for you and gives you the 1st overall pick in a year when CBJ clearly should have had it. What a crock of **** by the NHL.
whatever makes you sleep better at night

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
You're right. The Bettman is clearly rigging the lottery in Edmontons favor.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Quote:
All I have to say is...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
I live in calgary and have travelled all over the world and have yet to find a place I'd rather live. Alberta is amazing and I bet most people here that say it sucks have never been. Come visit, I bet we have more money than whatever state you're from
Completely agree. I own a home in Arizona as well as Alberta, I like to go down there but I wouldn't want to live there. A lady in Hawaii once said to me that it must be beautiful in Canada, I replied "if you like cold weather". Her response was that the seasons never change in Hawaii, its always the same. I agree with her now.

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
Completely agree. I own a home in Arizona as well as Alberta, I like to go down there but I wouldn't want to live there. A lady in Hawaii once said to me that it must be beautiful in Canada, I replied "if you like cold weather". Her response was that the seasons never change in Hawaii, its always the same. I agree with her now.
Always something to look forward to. Hockey and snowboarding in the winter, and it being LESS cold the rest of the year.

No, I'm from Edmonton but moved to Calgary 11 years ago. I, without a doubt would choose Calgary over any place I've been to in the world. At my age, I'd probably enjoy living in Vancouver for a few years (maybe even just to get away from the terrible drivers) but Calgary is definitely the place where I'd want to bring up a family.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
What is your definition of quality healthcare? My friends all have a $5,000 annual deductible and if they were to get cancer or diabetes....yikes! One of my friends in AZ had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago and said the healthcare was really good - only cost him $1,900 out of his own pocket!

Getting sick shouldn't force you into bankruptcy.
I'm not sure what kind of work they are doing, but their health plans sound like they suck. Most Canadians I know don't come south of the border for ordinary jobs, which those sound like. That or the companies really just don't give a **** about their employees.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Always something to look forward to. Hockey and snowboarding in the winter, and it being LESS cold the rest of the year.

No, I'm from Edmonton but moved to Calgary 11 years ago. I, without a doubt would choose Calgary over any place I've been to in the world. At my age, I'd probably enjoy living in Vancouver for a few years (maybe even just to get away from the terrible drivers) but Calgary is definitely the place where I'd want to bring up a family.
Calgary is better than Edmonton simply because it's a tad bit warmer and it's much closer to the mountains.

That said if I were a hockey player I wouldn't want to sign with the Flames, competitive wise that is.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Calgary is better than Edmonton simply because it's a tad bit warmer and it's much closer to the mountains.

That said if I were a hockey player I wouldn't want to sign with the Flames, competitive wise that is.
It's a much nicer city. It just has to be said.

Hockey-wise, Edmonton is a MUCH more attractive hockey town. It should be anyways. Banking on a future instead of pension plans is a pretty good bet.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
It's a much nicer city. It just has to be said.

Hockey-wise, Edmonton is a MUCH more attractive hockey town. It should be anyways. Banking on a future instead of pension plans is a pretty good bet.
Calgary isn't quite Phoenix level of hopelessness, but with their current squad and their owners unwillingness to give up on the dream, it would be a terrible place for a young player to sign with if he wanted to win early on in his career.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
I guess she hasn't lived here long then, we have 2 seasons, wet and dry. In the dry season it is warmer and the wet one it is obviously cooler and wetter. Personally I have been to Alberta and Hawaii, and I'm happy here in Hawaii.

11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Well it's also quite silly to assume everyone agrees with you. Schultz wanted to go to Canada and I get why, he was born and raised there.

I'm just saying, you said that the Orange County was your version of "Hell". Then I pointed out that it's really an awesome lifestyle that many people love, and others dream about. Then you got defensive.
Its a good thing he never said anything close to that then...

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Why turn down NYC or Florida (Miami) too? As a free agent he could signed anywhere.

Actually, I'm surprised he didn't choose a team like Lightning or the Hawks. Maybe he really wanted to be in Canada.
Maybe he just wanted to live like a rock star. In Flordia, california and new york he is a nobody. In Edmonton he could goto any bar and have orgies with different women every night of the week. Not to mention the free meals, suits, dealership supplied vehicles etc.

Even with a lockout hockey is still big news versus playing second fiddle to NFL, NBA, MLB, college football, NASCAR etc

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
and i own a rental condo in the beautiful Okanagan in BC, and just use the condo for 3 weeks a year in the summer...i choose to live in Alberta full time. yes, winter can suck, and the summers can be hot, but the quality of life here is fabulous!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that it was a hockey decision, as that extends way beyond joining the team with the best record. The Oilers have a great young offensive core, and still had a certain lack in the defensive department to match that. It was a far safer bet for Schultz to come into Edmonton's line-up and play big minutes right away. In Anaheim, he'd have maxed out as their second puck-mover behind Fowler, cutting into the minutes available to him, and making a spot on the first powerplay rather tough to get in, even if things went great for him right from the start. Even with the rumored (not sure if that was confirmed) guarantee to be on the Ducks to start the season, some time in the AHL would not have been out of the question (hypothetically), given their historically more patient approach.

These are obviously things that make the Oilers a more attractive option, hockey-wise, rather immediately. Whether it's the best choice of all available (compared to a situation like, for example, Minnesota, where there'd be a similar opening and the chance to learn to play the position alongside a guy like Suter), I can't tell, but I can certainly see the points. And in the end, a good shot at making the Oilers' top powerplay right away comes with a great shot at putting up very good numbers even in the first two years in the league, which go a long way to making his quick second contract a rather big one right away.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I guess she hasn't lived here long then, we have 2 seasons, wet and dry. In the dry season it is warmer and the wet one it is obviously cooler and wetter. Personally I have been to Alberta and Hawaii, and I'm happy here in Hawaii.
She was a native, nothing wrong with wanting to stay there, I just dont get off on people running a place down when they arnt taking everything into account. Just because its cold sometimes, or warm all the time doesnt make it good or bad! My point was she changed my way of thinking!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Maybe he just wanted to live like a rock star. In Flordia, california and new york he is a nobody. In Edmonton he could goto any bar and have orgies with different women every night of the week. Not to mention the free meals, suits, dealership supplied vehicles etc.

Even with a lockout hockey is still big news versus playing second fiddle to NFL, NBA, MLB, college football, NASCAR etc
It's funny because I think most hockey players want to avoid this kind of media scrutiny and that's why sometimes Canadian teams have trouble in the free agent market.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It's funny because I think most hockey players want to avoid this kind of media scrutiny and that's why sometimes Canadian teams have trouble in the free agent market.
Everyone is different. I recall a profile/interview on the HNIC pre-game show with Shane Doan where he said he had talked numerous times with Iggy and Smitty about playing in Canada vs non traditional markets where you can remain anonymous (assuming maybe both had lobbied for him to sign with their team). At the end of the day what works for them doesn't for him. I think same can be said for Schultz. Winning a cup would be amazing no matter what, but winning one in Canada would be a much different experience than in some places in the US.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Everyone is different. I recall a profile/interview on the HNIC pre-game show with Shane Doan where he said he had talked numerous times with Iggy and Smitty about playing in Canada vs non traditional markets where you can remain anonymous (assuming maybe both had lobbied for him to sign with their team). At the end of the day what works for them doesn't for him. I think same can be said for Schultz. Winning a cup would be amazing no matter what, but winning one in Canada would be a much different experience than in some places in the US.
Obviously some players like the attention, and some players don't. I'm just venturing the slightly educated guess that the majority of them if given the choice would rather make the same money, but live relatively anonymously in a place like Tampa (or wherever). The pressure for players in Canadian cities is intense and if you just slip a bit, or get on the wrong side of some fans, your life can be miserable. Just check out Evander Kane, Roberto Luongo or Mike Komisarek's situations. It can go south quickly and the rock star status can quickly become the opposite. On the flip side Steven Stamkos can make the same money but still live a relatively normal life in Tampa. It hurts that some southern teams do not have owners who assure a competitive team, which is another factor entirely of course.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
I think Schultz picked Edmonton because he sees them building on a youth movement, and one of the areas they lack was a perfect fit for him.

Sure on the one hand it will be much easier for him to crack the roster, but part and parcel with that is that he will have to shoulder a bigger portion of the load, the challenge will be greater.

I think he saw a chance to take on a big challenge and become a major part of something that could become huge. I think he has every confidence that he can fill that role and perform up to it.

he didn't pick an easy road.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I think Schultz picked Edmonton because he sees them building on a youth movement, and one of the areas they lack was a perfect fit for him.

Sure on the one hand it will be much easier for him to crack the roster, but part and parcel with that is that he will have to shoulder a bigger portion of the load, the challenge will be greater.

I think he saw a chance to take on a big challenge and become a major part of something that could become huge. I think he has every confidence that he can fill that role and perform up to it.

he didn't pick an easy road.
The kid isn't dumb. He could have picked one of the American teams to go to and face a lot less scrutiny and pressure and still make the money everyone thinks his main motivation was based around. He picked Edmonton..

I'm glad he's here, as he's taking everything in stride.