*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Agreed, there is a definate drive to win happening with this team! I am not a fan of Boyd and believe that these guys are making him look good as a coach - winning in spite of him and not for him!
Interesting, why would you think that?

Old
11-19-2012, 12:02 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Interesting, why would you think that?
I simply don't think that he is an inspiring coach. He's a two line coach...anyone can coach good players!

Last edited by superspitfan99: 11-19-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I simply don't think that he is an inspiring coach. He's a two line coach...anyone can coach good players! You've got guys like Foy on the team that are making significant contributions yet they get less icetime and continually get placed on the 3rd and 4th lines. When in a game like Guelph, where things are not going well, he changes nothing up. Last night's game in Oshawa, his first line PP was a joke as far as who he selected as forwards. His second line PP isn't really performing, yet he changes nothing up? Give some of the other guys a chance....coach and inspire them to achieve more and be better players. Just one person's opinion I guess!?
I really think that he is getting great results from a bunch of blue collar types. There are no studs up front but they keep on winning with a great back end and a bunch of hard workers up front.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
tourlord*

Watched Mississauga beat Oshawa on Sunday and Mississauga had played the night before. Bad game for the Schwa. Percy didn't do anything special thought was expecting him to get involved more. Other than that the Steelheads look alright.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Watched Mississauga beat Oshawa on Sunday and Mississauga had played the night before. Bad game for the Schwa. Percy didn't do anything special thought was expecting him to get involved more. Other than that the Steelheads look alright.
Mississauga played 3 games in 3 days, they didn't have their best game either but like many other games find a way to win. With Percy he isn't a fancy player, he just does the little things extremely well.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Mississauga played 3 games in 3 days, they didn't have their best game either but like many other games find a way to win. With Percy he isn't a fancy player, he just does the little things extremely well.
It's true Percy rarely if ever does anything "special"......watched him alot in the Memorial Cup, just very quietly efficient. Those kinds of guys have long pro careers.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Ive never seen him do anything special. Than I look at his plus minus and its +50 in his draft year. That shows some defensive responsibility. But to me overall, Im not sold on Percy as a first round NHL pick. I was hoping the Leafs drafted Tomas Jurco with that pick. At most, I think he will be a 5-6 Dman in the NHL and not get any higher. There is only One thing that does jump out at me about Percy, and its not positive. He lacks toughness and although he may not need to be, it can show sometimes in certain battling situations. Im also worried about his backward mobility, speedy forwards can expose Percy's feet when they drive wide.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 11-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Ive never seen him do anything special. Than I look at his plus minus and its +50 in his draft year. That shows some defensive responsibility. But to me overall, Im not sold on Percy as a first round NHL pick. I was hoping the Leafs drafted Tomas Jurco with that pick. At most, I think he will be a 5-6 Dman in the NHL and not get any higher. There is only One thing that does jump out at me about Percy, and its not positive. He lacks toughness and although he may not need to be, it can show sometimes in certain battling situations. Im also worried about his backward mobility, speedy forwards can expose Percy's feet when they drive wide.
I would very much agree with your assessment of him. I think that he's done well on this team because he definately played the style of Cameron (quiet responsible....somewhat boring defenseman) and now still for Boyd who has pretty much continued that style. From my understanding, it wasn't until the Memorial Cup that people really noticed him. He's done well in the OHL, but I'm not so sure that he's going to be strong enough or tough enough for the NHL.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I would very much agree with your assessment of him. I think that he's done well on this team because he definately played the style of Cameron (quiet responsible....somewhat boring defenseman) and now still for Boyd who has pretty much continued that style. From my understanding, it wasn't until the Memorial Cup that people really noticed him. He's done well in the OHL, but I'm not so sure that he's going to be strong enough or tough enough for the NHL.
A player can improve his feet through training as well as get stronger through a commitment to off-ice training and diet. What you can't teach is his commitment to his own end, his propensity to not panic and his team-first approach.

Just my two cents.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
chewerjones

Hey Guys,

Percy is simple but effective, and when he has to fight, he does.

He will be a 4th dman on any NHL team.

In respect to James Boyd, he has done wonders for the Steeleheads. He has 3 legitimate draft choices in his lineup from Minor Midget days- Percy, Demelo and Martin. All others were cast offs, or later round picks (Teskey only exception, but he has been a bust), but low and behold, they are on top of the East. COACHING AND A SYSTEM AND GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR PLAYERS DOES MATTER.

Smoskovitz had a total of 9 points in Barrie last year. He looks like a pure goal scorer and energy player, but in Barrie he was cast off, and on Missy he looks like a star.

James gets the most out of his players, or the player sits, or gets bumped down the roster. James doesnt look at the back of the jersey, but at the front of the jersey.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:00 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

What a goal tending performance, stop the insanity. There are a few waiting in the wings, make some calls and get a real pair.

Re treads don't work.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:54 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
What a goal tending performance, stop the insanity. There are a few waiting in the wings, make some calls and get a real pair.

Re treads don't work.
Are you referring to today's game? Didn't see it? What went so wrong again with Guelph? Were they really that good or was Missy really that bad?

Old
11-21-2012, 11:24 PM
wings5

Biggest crowd in a while at the Hersey center and they get blown out, dissapointing.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:00 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Biggest crowd in a while at the Hersey center and they get blown out, dissapointing.
Was bound to happen, they've been playing so well lately it was only a matter of time before they get blown out one game.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:40 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Was bound to happen, they've been playing so well lately it was only a matter of time before they get blown out one game.
Thats twice in a week against Guelph. I guess Guelph has their number. Chalk one up to timing or fatigue??

Old
11-25-2012, 01:37 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

7 of us making the trek to Missy next Sunday when the Knights come to town. Look for us right behind the Missy net...just look for my Jenkins jersey

Old
11-26-2012, 07:28 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Thats twice in a week against Guelph. I guess Guelph has their number. Chalk one up to timing or fatigue??
Not to take anything away from the Steelheads - they are playing good determined hockey, but teams like Guelph, Owen Sound, London...they are the real deal. Mississauga has a great back end and a few on the front, but they simply do not have the speed and forward depth that these other teams do.

In yesterday's game, most of the goals were scored by the third man in. That's a forward's failure to get back quickly and pick up their guy. On top of that it doesn't help when a veteran like Brace costs the team 2 goals, finding himself in the box again for throwing a tantrum. The game was 3-1 before he decided to be selfish.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
wikiwikiwiki

So what do you guys think is the situation with acquiring another OA through a trade?

Also, I am not able to really follow this team due to living in Toronto..and channel 10 is stupid cooking shows NOT OHL hockey. How are the undrafted players doing? Brace/Cord as well as the up and coming ones like teskey, burnside, etc.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:26 PM
jr 27
Rookie User

i do not think we need a oa i think the team is starting to show what they are a 7th or 8th place club,develope the younger players

Old
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
NHL Fanatic

Good acquisition by the Steelheads, talks of 95' Thomas Welsh signing and possibly making his OHL debut on Friday vs the IceDogs

Old
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Torts

as heard on twitter expect Thomas Welsh to officially sign today. Big signing in my books. Kid has a shot at being drafted.

@ShawnReznikTHW: Expect Thomas Welsh ( @thomas_welsh ) to sign with the Mississauga Steelheads today

Old
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
as heard on twitter expect Thomas Welsh to officially sign today. Big signing in my books. Kid has a shot at being drafted.

@ShawnReznikTHW: Expect Thomas Welsh ( @thomas_welsh ) to sign with the Mississauga Steelheads today
That's a huge signing, plus it helps their defense core for the upcoming years when they lose Percy and Demelo

Old
11-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
That's a huge signing, plus it helps their defense core for the upcoming years when they lose Percy and Demelo
I'm not convinced that DeMelo is gone next year. Has he been signed yet?

Old
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Torts

Quote:
not yet but the way he's playing this year san jose will sign him before the deadline.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
He earlier this year.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=628809

Closed Thread