HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
No he didn't. Montreal won that grey cup. No one would talk about that penalty if it was in the first quarter as costing the Riders a grey cup. A penalty is a penalty. Doesn't matter when it happens. Montreal won. Saskatchewan Lost. Thats the end of it.

On Naylor he's a insider. He's very good at what he does although some of his arguments are one sided. Im pretty sure Naylor was at a training camp for the Riders one year quite a few years back. He know's a lot about the game.

I think having a franchise quarter-back is very important. Joseph won a grey cup. That's it, that's all. I think Joseph was in the same boat as Tillman was when he won his, he was just there at the right time. If you have a franchise QB you can become a dynasty. Without one sure you might win a grey cup or two but you won't be this team that makes it to the grey cup year after year. (Of course you will still need a supporting cast to make it there)
Its ridiculous for Naylor, or anybody else to suggest that losing Ray puts a team back 5-10yrs. For instance:

1)Where were the Eskimos the last several years. We were back anyway, over the last 6 seasons the worst Eskimos team in decades. So wheres this notion of putting us farther back coming from?

2)Look how quickly things change in the CFL. Ray comes into the league, sets it on fire in 2003 and who saw that coming at the time? BC gets Lulay rolling, get Arland Bruce and suddenly go from a losing team to contender/CFL champs literally overnight. Welcome to the happenchance of the CFL where virtually any club can put it together any year. This is not a 5-10yr plan league. Its a 1-2year plan league. Grab a clue Naylor.

3)Its asinine how anybody can talk about what it means to be losing Ray, without fully acknowledging that Ray was a recruit who quickly found his way in the CFL. As other recruited QB's have done before. The message being is if you lose a Ray theres really no telling how long it takes to replace. Maybe the replacing is fairly instantaneous or the number could be 1-3yrs. Who knows?

4)This is a club that had Warren Moon, Tom Wilkinson, Bruce Lemmerman at the helm in the 70's. Anybody could say it would take decades for the Eskimos to recover from losing those guys. Yet they had a turnstile of remarkable QB's in Allen, Ham, Dunnigan, and the forementioned unflappable Ricky Ray. The Eskimos remained competitive, and continued to win Grey Cups.
If anything, the worst lull in decades interestingly occurred WITH RR and was the worst this team had been since the 60's. So with or without RR bounceback was required.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
popo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its ridiculous for Naylor, or anybody else to suggest that losing Ray puts a team back 5-10yrs. For instance:

1)Where were the Eskimos the last several years. We were back anyway, over the last 6 seasons the worst Eskimos team in decades. So wheres this notion of putting us farther back coming from?

2)Look how quickly things change in the CFL. Ray comes into the league, sets it on fire in 2003 and who saw that coming at the time? BC gets Lulay rolling, get Arland Bruce and suddenly go from a losing team to contender/CFL champs literally overnight. Welcome to the happenchance of the CFL where virtually any club can put it together any year. This is not a 5-10yr plan league. Its a 1-2year plan league. Grab a clue Naylor.

3)Its asinine how anybody can talk about what it means to be losing Ray, without fully acknowledging that Ray was a recruit who quickly found his way in the CFL. As other recruited QB's have done before. The message being is if you lose a Ray theres really no telling how long it takes to replace. Maybe the replacing is fairly instantaneous or the number could be 1-3yrs. Who knows?

4)This is a club that had Warren Moon, Tom Wilkinson, Bruce Lemmerman at the helm in the 70's. Anybody could say it would take decades for the Eskimos to recover from losing those guys. Yet they had a turnstile of remarkable QB's in Allen, Ham, Dunnigan, and the forementioned unflappable Ricky Ray. The Eskimos remained competitive, and continued to win Grey Cups.
If anything, the worst lull in decades interestingly occurred WITH RR and was the worst this team had been since the 60's. So with or without RR bounceback was required.
1:
We are setback in terms of lacking a quality/star QB. Setback from winning a home playoff game last season.

2/3:
Ray and Lulay are great examples of QB's coming into the league, and finding immediate success. So yes, the 5-10 years setback quote could be proved ridiculous if the Esks stumble upon a QB as good as Ray.
However those QB finds seldom happen. It seems like a very difficult exercise to develop a really good CFL QB- how many teams average one a decade? That is the basis for the 5-10 years comment.

4:
All those clubs were well managed with proper QB succession plans in place.
Blame who you want, but I don't blame our 60's-esque mediocrity on Ray's tenure. I blame management.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
1:
We are setback in terms of lacking a quality/star QB. Setback from winning a home playoff game last season.

2/3:
Ray and Lulay are great examples of QB's coming into the league, and finding immediate success. So yes, the 5-10 years setback quote could be proved ridiculous if the Esks stumble upon a QB as good as Ray.
However those QB finds seldom happen. It seems like a very difficult exercise to develop a really good CFL QB- how many teams average one a decade? That is the basis for the 5-10 years comment.

4:
All those clubs were well managed with proper QB succession plans in place.
Blame who you want, but I don't blame our 60's-esque mediocrity on Ray's tenure. I blame management.
The league tends to be cyclical in QB development. We get some veteran QB's they stick around for awhile, this limits new recruiting because of it being such a small league and gives the impression that theres finite talent available which isn't the case. Its only the case that teams tend to run with certain guys for awhile either right or wrong.
So you have Durant in Saskatchewan struggling along as likely the most inconsistent established starting QB in the league. You have Winnipeg auditioning a platoon and not finding Mr right yet. But meanwhile good clubs like BC, Montreal, Calgary have better QB's waiting in wings then some clubs are starting. Yes, guys like Reilly, Tate, McPherson can be found. Our solution may even be in Nichols or whoever is shortlisted for next year.

But this notion of how hard it is to find starting QB's in this league is largely borne out of there being less turnover at this position in comparison to other positions. There isn't a problem with supply, there is a problem with limited positions in which to develop such young QB's. The Eskimos decided a reload was in order. The appearance is the timing sucked. But don't think for an instant that the RR getting the ARgos into the GreyCup is the same as the complacent RR that was playing here. The eskimos for instance beat the Stamps last year despite a lukewarm Ray performance. The D basically won the game for us. Ray was ordinary in the Western Final as well.

RR positioned himself like a made man here. For too long. There was virtually no fight in him here. I'm seeing a reborn RR in Toronto. Even the commentators and pundits saying he hasn't looked like this since 2003.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Should be a great GC. Lots of juicy storylines. For Calgary, it is finally a chance for Kevin Glenn to get redemption on that terrible twist of injury fate that robbed him of his chance to participate in the 2007 championship game. It will be yet another opportunity for John Cornish to try to keep his pants on for a second straight game. For the Argos, a chance to make history. Win the 100th Cup on home turf, and RR proving he isn't quite done yet. For Eric Tillman and Kavis Reed, yet another chance to look in the mirror and see a jackass.

Personally I'm pulling for Calgary because of Kevin Glenn.
worst possible grey cup matchup. Calgary vs the team that got ricky ray because of tillman.

I didn't want either team to make it, but I have to pick Toronto. I hate all Calgary teams and want them to never win anything. It wasn't Ricky Ray's fault he got traded, so mor epower to him if he wins. Plus he continues to be a class act.

It would disgust me to put up with what we've had to these past years and with everything this year, just to see the stamps win? ugh.
I still haven't recovered from the last time they won. crap.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
IV XIV XCI

IMO it's "Go Ricky Go"!!!

I'll be an Argos fan next Sunday. (One day only)

Old
11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
IMO it's "Go Ricky Go"!!!

I'll be an Argos fan next Sunday. (One day only)
I want to cheer for Ray next Sunday but the Argos organization and the Toronto media are making it very difficult to do so. They keep rubbing salt in the wound. "Yay! We got Ray! Thanks Edmonton! Rotflmao!"

Old
11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
worst possible grey cup matchup. Calgary vs the team that got ricky ray because of tillman.

I didn't want either team to make it, but I have to pick Toronto. I hate all Calgary teams and want them to never win anything. It wasn't Ricky Ray's fault he got traded, so mor epower to him if he wins. Plus he continues to be a class act.

It would disgust me to put up with what we've had to these past years and with everything this year, just to see the stamps win? ugh.
I still haven't recovered from the last time they won. crap.
I can't fully accept this. I keep asking people to show me 4 games in a row, or any playoff games with the Esks in the last 6 seasons where he showed anything like he's played lately in Toronto.

If Ray played like this in Edmonton he'd still be here. Toss 500yds in a playoff game? You kidding me? Whens the last time he did that here?

Ray was traded because his play wasn't commensurate with his caphit. Now it is. But it hadn't been for several years here.

Lets be frank here. For several years any matchup between Ray and Calvillo was Anthony sweeping the floor with us and Ray on his back driving the Esks to 4pts. Countless times the Al's blew Ray out of the park. Now suddenly this, after Calvillo has owned Ray for the better part of a decade.

It DOES piss me off a little that now Rays playing like he's Joe Montana. Yeah I would've liked to have seen a little of that in Green and Gold. So I feel ripped off as an Esks fan actually. Feel like Ray wasn't giving it his best here.

Still waiting for people to point out the last series of games with the esks where Ray played lights out like this.

So as much as I can say Ray is a class act I've still got an axe to grind. he didn't leave it all on the football field here. He is doing that in Toronto. Thats unfortunate.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I want to cheer for Ray next Sunday but the Argos organization and the Toronto media are making it very difficult to do so. They keep rubbing salt in the wound. "Yay! We got Ray! Thanks Edmonton! Rotflmao!"
I'm cheering for Toronto to win because if the Argos win, nobody will care.

If the Stamps win, we'll never hear the end of it.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I'm cheering for Toronto to win because if the Argos win, nobody will care.

If the Stamps win, we'll never hear the end of it.
No, I think we lost bigtime both ways. The whole media circus is in this love affair with RR now and the Toronto buzz (lol). Suddenly it matters in Toronto when it was tree falls in the forest for a longtime.

Plus, and we have very little familiarity with this lately, but Toronto fans tend to be the biggest *****es in the sporting world the few times they actually have something on their plate. You never hear the end of it anytime Toronto wins anything. But I understand theres whole generations that wouldn't necessarily know this.

ps Is it just me or do quotes like "RR once again coming up huge in a playoff game" bother anybody else? Its not like this guy is any particularly noted great playoff performer. He's been an also ran for several seasons. I have to dial up my longterm memory to ascertain what "again" is referring to.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Replacement you are really just sounding bitter at this point. Ray played very well for us over his career here. He made the most of what he could behind some truly dismal GMs, while still putting up HoF numbers. Saying that he didn't put 4 incredible games in a row together for us in a while just makes you sound obstinate. You're cherry picking.

You were wrong. Everyone is from time to time, it really isn't that big a deal. The Ray trade was a huge mistake. Please stop planting your flag on the "Ricky was crap here" hill. He very obviously wasn't. You(and others) were blinded because you hadn't seen a really crappy QB here in a long time. Some assumed Ricky was just the standard, and would be easy to replace. That wasn't the case.

Go Ricky go. He made it clear he never had any desire to leave here and was very disappointed when it happened. I will not have any problem cheering him for the rest of his career, if the Eskies aren't in the equation.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, I think we lost bigtime both ways. The whole media circus is in this love affair with RR now and the Toronto buzz (lol). Suddenly it matters in Toronto when it was tree falls in the forest for a longtime.

Plus, and we have very little familiarity with this lately, but Toronto fans tend to be the biggest *****es in the sporting world the few times they actually have something on their plate. You never hear the end of it anytime Toronto wins anything. But I understand theres whole generations that wouldn't necessarily know this.

ps Is it just me or do quotes like "RR once again coming up huge in a playoff game" bother anybody else? Its not like this guy is any particularly noted great playoff performer. He's been an also ran for several seasons. I have to dial up my longterm memory to ascertain what "again" is referring to.
The Argos are behind the Jays, Raptors, and even the Marlies in terms of popularity... I mean, what was their attendance in our playoff game with them? 25k? They had higher attendance for regular season games!

Old
11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor

I can confirm both Kavis Reed and Ed Hervey have put in their resume for Eskimos GM job. Paul Jones will not apply
The fact that Reed thinks he should be in the mix makes me sick. Wasn't the story a few weeks ago that he was overworked and couldn't concentrate on coaching because Tillman was shirking some of his responsibilities? And now Reed wants to take on all the responsibilities? We're turning into a joke.

I fully expect him to get the job and Hervey to leave for greener pastures. And then Naylor will be right with his 5-10 years comment.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Replacement you are really just sounding bitter at this point. Ray played very well for us over his career here. He made the most of what he could behind some truly dismal GMs, while still putting up HoF numbers. Saying that he didn't put 4 incredible games in a row together for us in a while just makes you sound obstinate. You're cherry picking.

You were wrong. Everyone is from time to time, it really isn't that big a deal. The Ray trade was a huge mistake. Please stop planting your flag on the "Ricky was crap here" hill. He very obviously wasn't. You(and others) were blinded because you hadn't seen a really crappy QB here in a long time. Some assumed Ricky was just the standard, and would be easy to replace. That wasn't the case.

Go Ricky go. He made it clear he never had any desire to leave here and was very disappointed when it happened. I will not have any problem cheering him for the rest of his career, if the Eskies aren't in the equation.
Well we certainly disagree. I went to a ton of Eskimos games over the years and more often than not in the last half dozen years I found Rays performance to be underwhelming and with a lot of people at games agreeing with that assessment.

What we have going on now is some revisionist theory on the basis of Ray suddenly looking like a much better QB.

man for awhile there yesterday Ray was flirting with 80% completions, plus 500 yds passing pace, and was having himself a better performance in a big game then I've seen from him in years. So yeah it does piss me off to no end that he's doing this now that he's traded.
Too bad complacent RR didn't play like this here for a longtime or he'd still be here.

The specific reason I want people to cite actual series of games where he was this good here. (4 games in a row) is so that they will actually dig and go beyond the "Ricky played well here" which I've heard enough thanks. Which is largely an opinion.

AS for HOF numbers that would be in passing yds period. Or QB efficiency rating which I put no stock in as applied to the CFL. In terms of actual results and big game results Ray did very little here. Even the 2005 Grey Cup wouldn't have been ours if Jason Maas hadn't lifted the club through from RR's failing arms. Rays accomplishments here are overstated. One very solid year and including Grey Cup in 2003, the one he got a lot of help with in 2005, and absolutely nothing since.

Finally, I've been an Eskimos fan since before you were born. So I think I have some background in which to speak relatively on QB's. I can tell you I've seen a lot of QB's here that I consider to be better than Ricky Ray.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Well we certainly disagree. I went to a ton of Eskimos games over the years and more often than not in the last half dozen years I found Rays performance to be underwhelming and with a lot of people at games agreeing with that assessment.

What we have going on now is some revisionist theory on the basis of Ray suddenly looking like a much better QB.

man for awhile there yesterday Ray was flirting with 80% completions, plus 500 yds passing pace, and was having himself a better performance in a big game then I've seen from him in years. So yeah it does piss me off to no end that he's doing this now that he's traded.
Too bad complacent RR didn't play like this here for a longtime or he'd still be here.

The specific reason I want people to cite actual series of games where he was this good here. (4 games in a row) is so that they will actually dig and go beyond the "Ricky played well here" which I've heard enough thanks. Which is largely an opinion.

AS for HOF numbers that would be in passing yds period. Or QB efficiency rating which I put no stock in as applied to the CFL. In terms of actual results and big game results Ray did very little here. Even the 2005 Grey Cup wouldn't have been ours if Jason Maas hadn't lifted the club through from RR's failing arms. Rays accomplishments here are overstated. One very solid year and including Grey Cup in 2003, the one he got a lot of help with in 2005, and absolutely nothing since.

Finally, I've been an Eskimos fan since before you were born. So I think I have some background in which to speak relatively on QB's. I can tell you I've seen a lot of QB's here that I consider to be better than Ricky Ray.
Ok then. So we're back to your eye and preferred stats trumps my eye and preferred stats. Keep arguing it then, I'll just ignore your rants on the matter as I don't see them based in reality. I guess we'll never see eye to eye on it. Oh and I went to a lot of Ricky's games here too. Many posters on here can claim the same.

Btw - I have a copy of the 2005 Grey cup game on my computer and watch it from time to time. While Maas may have stepped in down the stretch(WC final specifically), Ray was the one putting up 38 points and completing OT TDs to win the Cup. Saying that win was Maas is really an example of revisionist history.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Ok fine. So we're back to your eye and preferred stats trumps my eye and preferred stats. Keep arguing it then, I'll just ignore your rants on the matter as I don't see them based in reality. Oh and I have been to a lot of Ricky's games here too. Many posters on here can claim the same too.
This is something I always like to link. CFL QB's are largely there to generate pts, throw TD passes, etc. Thats the mainline. Not yds stats. So take a look at this barometer.

http://thestudyofsports.com/cflalltimeleaders.html

Refer to yds passed (Ray is a god in this category) then to TD passes generated. Note that Ray has passed for more yds than Dunnigan or Ham or Mcmanus but that all of them threw a lot more TD's than Ray. I won't even mention Damon Allen who obliterates anything Ray has accomplished in his career. Plus that a guy like Ham who threw 60 more TD's than Ray also Ran for 36 more. So Ham, despite less passing yds, less completions, less QB efficiency, generated nearly 100 more TD's than Ray over the course of a similar length career and virtually identical minutes played. Yet a 100 more TD's generated in that time. Think that about that next time you want to ring up some lame measure of QB efficiency. I'll keep to TD's generated thanks which DOES trump all the stats you would offer up.

. I would take any of Ham, Dunnigan, McManus, Allen, over Ray in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Btw - I have a copy of the 2005 Grey cup game on my computer and watch it from time to time. While Maas may have stepped in down the stretch(WC final specifically), Ray was the one putting up 38 points and completing OT TDs to win the Cup. Saying that win was Maas is really an example of revisionist history.
Not sure if I was clear enough. The Esks wouldn't have got to the grey cup in 2005 without Maas and this is indisputable. So rays Stats in the actual grey cup game that year, and presense in it are a moot point considering how poor he was in the WC final preceeding it. You know this.

Ricky Rays HOF epitaph: A lot of popcorn fart yds generated, great meaningless QB efficiency ratings, great completion percentage throwing tons of short passes, very poor redzone performance and relatively few TD's generated.

Interestingly enough the Argos were last in the league in redzone performance this year. Ray was ordinary much of the year as he often is. His injury and rest seemed to give him some time to be fresh for the last series of games.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-19-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

ftr, and to demonstrate not much wrong with my memory Rays result yesterday was very atypical of what he's accomplished in Montreal lately. I distinctly remember Montreal being a grave yard for us.

These are the last 5 games Ray played in Montreal for the Eskimos. Got blown out every time.

But no, I'm making it up, Ray never laid down against Calvillo before.

Quote:
Games involving Edmonton and Montreal beginning with the 2008 season ending with the 2011 season (Edmonton on road):

2008 season: Week 13 Sun Sep 21 2008 at Mtl Montreal 40, Edmonton 4

2008 season: Efin Sat Nov 15 2008 at Mtl Montreal 36, Edmonton 26

2009 season: Week 2 Thu Jul 9 2009 at Mtl Montreal 50, Edmonton 16

2010 season: Week 12 Sun Sep 19 2010 at Mtl Montreal 31, Edmonton 14

2011 season: Week 7 Thu Aug 11 2011 at Mtl Montreal 27, Edmonton 4

Primary team Edmonton: 0-5
Points for Edmonton: 64
Points against Edmonton: 184
Look at the combined pts 184-64 lol.

WE weren't in any of these games.

But Ray suddenly looking like a superstar yesterday in Montreal against Calvillo.

Like I said yesterday improbability drive working OT.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
I can't fully accept this. I keep asking people to show me 4 games in a row, or any playoff games with the Esks in the last 6 seasons where he showed anything like he's played lately in Toronto.

If Ray played like this in Edmonton he'd still be here. Toss 500yds in a playoff game? You kidding me? Whens the last time he did that here?

Ray was traded because his play wasn't commensurate with his caphit. Now it is. But it hadn't been for several years here.

Lets be frank here. For several years any matchup between Ray and Calvillo was Anthony sweeping the floor with us and Ray on his back driving the Esks to 4pts. Countless times the Al's blew Ray out of the park. Now suddenly this, after Calvillo has owned Ray for the better part of a decade.

It DOES piss me off a little that now Rays playing like he's Joe Montana. Yeah I would've liked to have seen a little of that in Green and Gold. So I feel ripped off as an Esks fan actually. Feel like Ray wasn't giving it his best here.

Still waiting for people to point out the last series of games with the esks where Ray played lights out like this.

So as much as I can say Ray is a class act I've still got an axe to grind. he didn't leave it all on the football field here. He is doing that in Toronto. Thats unfortunate.
Hey! Looky there. I agree with you on something. I too felt ripped off by RR. Part of the reason I just moved on from the Cfl to the NFL. IMO The CFL has really fallen off the chart for quality product. It would be a better product if the CFL WAS actually the farm system for the NFL. Their practice rosters would be a nice treat.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Nah. Most NFL practice roster players are stiffs.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Nah. Most NFL practice roster players are stiffs.
Really? Most cflers wouldn't make those practice rosters. Nice try.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Kyle McMahon

I echo the sentiments of feeling ripped off by Ray. The Ray we've seen the last two weeks ploughing into linebackers, fist pumping, celebrating TD's, actually looking like he cares about winning the game was a far cry from what we saw in the 2nd half of last season. I watched Ray mail in several games last year, but now he's been rejuvenated seemingly by a desire to stick it to Tillman and the Eskimos. Well, mission accomplished Rick. Really tarnishes the way I'll remember a great Eskimo.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

It's similar to Tillman spending an entire season trying to justify the trade instead of admitting he made a major gaffe. As you said, everyone makes mistakes, they just need to admit it and move on. People really start to look desperate and silly when they won't let go and keep trying to defend their points.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Really? Most cflers wouldn't make those practice rosters. Nice try.
There are a tonne of ex-CFLers on NFL practice rosters. I think it's silly to suggest that the brunt of NFL practice roster players would destroy a CFL team. If that were the case then we'd be seeing a renaissance of quarterbacking talent in the CFL right now. There's nowhere for these players to go besides the NFL, the CFL and the various arena leagues in the States... so why does the CFL talent pool feel so shallow right now? Answer: Because after the legitimate NFL starters there's a massive drop-off.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 11-19-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I echo the sentiments of feeling ripped off by Ray. The Ray we've seen the last two weeks ploughing into linebackers, fist pumping, celebrating TD's, actually looking like he cares about winning the game was a far cry from what we saw in the 2nd half of last season. I watched Ray mail in several games last year, but now he's been rejuvenated seemingly by a desire to stick it to Tillman and the Eskimos. Well, mission accomplished Rick. Really tarnishes the way I'll remember a great Eskimo.
Absolutely couldn't believe the endzone dance, high fives, fist pumps, hugging Argos on sidelines, running right through linebackers, reading blitz in an instant.. This guy is pumped, who is this guy?

Yeah, I'm reading the bolded clearly.

Theres no way Ricky was bringing this type of game lately with the Eskimos. As I mentioned earlier it had been several yrs since Ray even remotely showed up in a game in Montreal. Suddenly he's beating everybody in the league.

When I have sometime I'll compare Rays two playoff games last year with his two this year. People can feel free to acknowledge that the Eskimos team last year was also far better than this Argos team this year. So whats the diff?

Oh, Ray suddenly finding enthusiasm.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It's similar to Tillman spending an entire season trying to justify the trade instead of admitting he made a major gaffe. As you said, everyone makes mistakes, they just need to admit it and move on. People really start to look desperate and silly when they won't let go and keep trying to defend their points.
Not really because they've always been my pts. Why should I lie now?

Look at the link I provided in post 765.

For me a QB's first job is to deliver production. Ideally TD's. Really theres no bigger stat. Thats always been my take.

Ricky in his career tend to generate FG's more than TD's.

To me a QB that could move the ball effortlessly at times but not put the ball in the endzone as much was regularly frustrating. I much prefer the finish of guys like Allen, Ham, Dunnigan, McManus that had a hand in lighting the fireworks many more times. Clearly I prefer redzone performers, but why wouldn't I? I don't want countless FG's I want TD's. I want QB's punching the ball into the endzone.
On the biggest yardstick that means anything to me Ricky didn't deliver as much. Cost us a hell of a lot of games as well. This season as well the ARgos had the worst redzone performance in the league.

Just as a sidenote despite Argos dominating a game from start to finish Als still had the tying pts try on the last play of the game and a pass into the endzone to a reciever wide open, and he flat out dropped it. Perfect pass. Easy to catch. Strange how the game was so close. (not saying this had anything to do with Ray who was awesome in the game.)

Last edited by Replacement: 11-19-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
The fact that Reed thinks he should be in the mix makes me sick. Wasn't the story a few weeks ago that he was overworked and couldn't concentrate on coaching because Tillman was shirking some of his responsibilities? And now Reed wants to take on all the responsibilities? We're turning into a joke.

I fully expect him to get the job and Hervey to leave for greener pastures. And then Naylor will be right with his 5-10 years comment.
I hope we consider Reed, but not too seriously. He's incapable at his job of being a coach, I don't see how he would be capable of being a GM.

He shouldnt be in this organization all together. Hervey on the other hand I'm liking more and more. He seems to have experience on things such as contract negotiations, nothing extensive, but a bit. I'd prefer we also bring someone in who has experience as GM as a senior advisor.