HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Why am I not surprised.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Sounds like Reyes and Buehrle are unhappy about the trade to Toronto. Apparently, they had "verbal" no-trade agreements with Loria. Right, take that man at this word. Buehrle also has a pit bull and they're banned in Ontario...
Where'd you hear that?

I saw that they'd broken the promise, but I haven't seen anything to indicate Reyes or Buehrle aren't happy.

Heck Reyes instantly changed his Instagram avatar to a Blue Jays logo, so I don't think he was too upset.

11-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I worded that poorly. I just meant that they were both really upset with Loria over the verbal agreements. That said, Buehrle is a staunch dog lover and he and his wife can't be very happy about the pit bull ban in Ontario. Pit bulls are banned in the municipality of Miami but it's okay to own one outside of the city.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

The Jays are going to hire a manager that Reyes will like.

Buehrle and Johnson could be flipped so easily that if either is adamant about not coming here and the Jays still look a ton better than last year.

This trade in terms of tangible value for the next couple years is insanely lopsided for the Jays.

Theres some rumors the Jays are after Marcum as well.

As it stands today.

Johnson - Buehler - Romero - Morrow - Happ is a very good rotation. They have Cecil and Drabek fighting for a spot and both are capable of being a #4/5.

Toss in whatever the Jays get for the enevitable trade of Arencebia/Raja Davis + others and the team is looking alot better.

On Melky, even if he is just like he was pre-giants is still a pretty big improvement. If hes better than he was in KC its huge, if he magically is still a great player its a huge bonus.

Reyes is better than anything the Jays have had at SS in years. They have some crazy speed on the bases.

There is alot to be excited about as a Jays fan.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:46 AM
SDig14

At this point, the Cabrera signing is a good risk IMO. AA said that he would sit back and wait for the right player in LF, so it makes you wonder whether Melky's agent contacted AA after the big deal went down.

Either way, the guy is a contact player batting in the 2 hole, testing positive shouldn't be a massive detriment like it is for some power hitters. There will be a drop-off I'm sure, I just don't think he will fall off a cliff.

It will be nice to have 2 guys that can actually hit .300 in front of Jose this year, with speed as a bonus, should be ripe for Jose to put up the biggest numbers of his career if he is healthy and on his game.

Izturis and Bonafacio at 2nd seems likely, don't see them upgrading that spot at all.

I could see them trading JP, I don't think they will deal Gose at all. Rumours lots of teams like him, but I think the Jays want to hang on to him.

I see them adding an arm. Like an above poster mentioned, Marcum may make sense. He was interviewed after the season and he essentially said he could see himself being a Jay next year, so it would not shock me if they already made an offer to him and he is trying to make a decision.

Marcum on a 2 year deal seems to make too much sense IMO.

If they add an arm and perhaps some pen depth they will ready to roll. Can't expect much more in one offseason.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Philly85
Moody'

That was s crazy fight tonight between GSP and Condit. Just a real solid scrap. Took every ounce of Georges' fiber to win, even if it may not have seemed like it at points. Condit was a worthy interim title holder.p

Old
11-18-2012, 01:17 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
The Jays are going to hire a manager that Reyes will like.

Buehrle and Johnson could be flipped so easily that if either is adamant about not coming here and the Jays still look a ton better than last year.

This trade in terms of tangible value for the next couple years is insanely lopsided for the Jays.

Theres some rumors the Jays are after Marcum as well.

As it stands today.

Johnson - Buehler - Romero - Morrow - Happ is a very good rotation. They have Cecil and Drabek fighting for a spot and both are capable of being a #4/5.

Toss in whatever the Jays get for the enevitable trade of Arencebia/Raja Davis + others and the team is looking alot better.

On Melky, even if he is just like he was pre-giants is still a pretty big improvement. If hes better than he was in KC its huge, if he magically is still a great player its a huge bonus.

Reyes is better than anything the Jays have had at SS in years. They have some crazy speed on the bases.

There is alot to be excited about as a Jays fan.
I would have Johnson-Morrow-Buehrle-Romero-Happ/Cecil as my rotation order.

11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I would have Johnson-Morrow-Buehrle-Romero-Happ/Cecil as my rotation order.
Plus, it's tough to battle with a guy that is out for the year. Hutchison and Drabek are going to be eating fried chicken in the lockerroom.

Not that the #5 guy is super important, but I hope Cecil has no shot unless he clearly takes the job from someone else.

He was better in Vegas, but too many control issues for a guy that lost his velocity.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but if you can get a Marcum on a 2 year deal it's a no-brainer for me IMO.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Sorry to deviate from the Jays discussion but....

I went shopping at Safeway today, and they ere having some wicked sales, so it was busy, like Christmas shopping busy. Some chick in her 20's was meandering down the aisles, yappin on her cell phone, when I started. After passing her in the store a few times, being slowed down by her still meandering and squawking on the phone, I was getting ticked . As I finally started leaving the store after an hour and a half, guess who was in the next aisle leaving? The same meandering, yappin, squawking chick, and guess what else. She was still talking on her phone...even as she left the store and got into her car.

I'm not an old, grumpy guy who doesn't give people their space and I don't get PO'd about people talking on the cell's, but today I thought that this was a bit much. Some people have absolutely no consideration for other's when they are doing this under certain circumstances.

The End

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Why the hell are the anchovies in the friggin CHEESE section?

Last edited by Dorian2: 11-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Gregg Zaun just confirmed on Prime Time Sports that Josh Johnson doesn't want to be a Blue Jay IE he's not happy about having to play in Canada.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Fat chance he signs an extension then.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Gregg Zaun just confirmed on Prime Time Sports that Josh Johnson doesn't want to be a Blue Jay IE he's not happy about having to play in Canada.
Anyone know what the difference in income tax he is going to have to pay?

Old
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I wouldn't read much into it. Johnsons agent has already been quoted saying he's excited about the change.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I wouldn't read much into it. Johnsons agent has already been quoted saying he's excited about the change.
Weird. Zaun cited Johnson's agent.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Weird. Zaun cited Johnson's agent.
It's seems like the usual panic over people not wanting to play in Canada that we're used to. I'm not too concerned

Old
11-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's seems like the usual panic over people not wanting to play in Canada that we're used to. I'm not too concerned
Regardless, I agree with Zaun. If he doesn't want to play in Canada... whatever. He'll be a free agent after the 2013 season so he won't be dogging it out there.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:40 PM
SDig14

His agent also said if he has a good year as a Jay he might get the biggest contract ever as a pitcher, haha.

They are staring at $, meaning he will likely bring his best and be one and done anyways. The Jays won't pay him that if he plays lights out, and he won't sign early cuz he wants to test free agency.

That being said, the deal factors in the likelihood of him leaving, still looks good otherwise.

I'm just hoping Morrow and Romero have good years with less pressure to be the ace.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

A lot depends on how this next season goes for Johnson with the Jays.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, Anthopoulos had too good of a week... you had to know that he was going to make a mistake at some point.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/M.../20369421.html

Old
11-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I liked John Gibbons, besides, it's almost a completely different and new roster he's dealt to manage. Better than John Farrell.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's important to remember that the last time Gibbons managed the Blue Jays he had a roster that was getting a lot of press and hype as well. Perhaps misguided, but hype all the same.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Gibbons best offensive player was Vernon Wells IIRC. The Jays order looks pretty ridiculous right now.

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
Encadwin
Lind
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia
Bonifacio

Looks pretty dangerous on paper anyway

Old
11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
It's important to remember that the last time Gibbons managed the Blue Jays he had a roster that was getting a lot of press and hype as well. Perhaps misguided, but hype all the same.
Yeah it's Toronto and TSN, there's always hype. They would have hype if their AAA team was their starting line-up.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:39 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah it's Toronto and TSN, there's always hype. They would have hype if their AAA team was their starting line-up.
No kidding. I remember that quite well, I think they signed B.J. Ryan and acquired Troy Glaus. I think there was some other signing or trade as well, can't remember at the moment though. AJ Burnett was later I believe, but still when Gibbons was at the helm.

Reyes, JJ, Beurhle, Cabrera, etc. put those others to shame (knock on wood).

Old
11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Gibbons best offensive player was Vernon Wells IIRC. The Jays order looks pretty ridiculous right now.

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
Encadwin
Lind
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia
Bonifacio

Looks pretty dangerous on paper anyway
Well lets take a look at 2006:

C: Molina/Zaun
1st: Overbay
2nd:Hill
3rd: Glaus*
SS:Adams
LF:Johnson
RF:Rios*
CF: Wells*
DH:Hillenbrand

Pitchers:
Halladay*
Burnett
Lilly
Marcum
Janssen/Chacin
Closer: Ryan*

*AL All Stars in 2006

It was this year that the Jays went on their most recent spending spree and acquired:
Burnett: The Big FA Pitcher & part of the Marlins big two with Dontrelle Willis
Ryan: The Big FA closer, 36 Saves and a all star in 2005
Glaus: Hit 37 HR the previous season Needed to fill in for the Missing power after Delgado left.
Molina: Platoon with Zaun
Overbay: NL Doubles Champ

He had a team with 5 All Stars and only could muster an 87 win season (mind you that is the best season we have had since 1993). Plus in the process he got into a fight with Lilly in the hallway leading to the dugout and Hillenbrand within a month of each other. When you also consider his feud with Dave Bush in 2005 and then again with Frank Thomas in 2008.

With that being said I wanted a manager with experience and we do need a manager who can be a disciplinarian/motivator in order to get under preforming player to produce. And while Gibbons can do this I fear he is going to only cause more trouble for us in the locker room. The last thing we need is a player like Escobar/Bautista/Reyes to have "This is a Ship Sinking" moment like Hillenbrand.

Closed Thread