HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Has Ed Snider had enough?

Old
11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
JoeLH

vCash: 500
I still absolutely believe that most if not all of the story is true. Reason: Snider said in his statement that his support to Bettman remains "solid".

Solid in business language is anything but not strong support. An indication about Sniders' real feelings i'd guess.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Wiems35*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Depends on the benchmark.
No because there is a difference between actually winning and just calling something a win.

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
I still absolutely believe that most if not all of the story is true. Reason: Snider said in his statement that his support to Bettman remains "solid".

Solid in business language is anything but not strong support. An indication about Sniders' real feelings i'd guess.
Snider is very much a libertinian and right wing towards unions......

but he may be rethinking his timing...they are not going to break the union this year
and he wants to play hockey...willing to forgoe his objectives and more profit to get the season on the road?

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post

but he may be rethinking his timing...they are not going to break the union this year
and he wants to play hockey...willing to forgoe his objectives and more profit to get the season on the road?
Snider is 79. He probably wants to see his team win the Cup before you know...

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Yeah, something doesn't add up here. The delay and outright cancellation, hoops sponsors and partners have to jump through? Management at those companies can change quickly, and the reallocation or cuts to ad spending can happen very quickly.
...its a mess, a Nightmare for many of them. They'll have produced collateral materials, print & broadcast (commercials), booked space with various publications; signed contracts with various media outlets (TV & Radio); on-line publishers & chat boards, expensive creative & production costs that they cant get back, even use elsewhere as its NHL or team/player specific and so Bam!, there goes millions in production costs, millions upon millions more in space & air-time reservations which usually contain penalties for cancellation.

As the primary demographic is the all important 18-34 year old male, followed by the 34-54yr old, a sizeable portion of which has had post secondary education with one of if not the highest combined household income averages in comparison to the NBA, MLB & the NFL, alternatives will have to be sought in the short-term. So lets say Brewery X or whatever goes on a spree elsewhere, finds out its actually a lot more cost effective, providing results; why bother going back to the NHL when the Lockout ends, facing an uphill battle to regain market share, your name associated with what many will view as a cold & completely callous league in taking its fans for granted? To retain these advertisers & sponsors, the leagues going to have to discount & wholesale rates for what, 2-3 seasons minimum? That alone is another loss of tens upon tens of millions. Cancelled cable subscriptions. Market shrinkage. Damn straight Ed Snider gets that.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post

He's also a Randist (Ayn Rand). He would have a hard reconciling Revenue Sharing and making sacrifices that cost actual $$$ for the good of the collective-- I would guess.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Friedman (CBC):

"That's why it wasn't a surprise to read a Philadelphia Daily News report that Flyers chairman Ed Snider had "soured on the process." Snider, who owns approximately 30 per cent of the team, denied the story, but I would just say this about Daily News writer Frank Seravalli: He's not one to make wild guesses.

The obvious question for any annoyed fan reading this blog would be: Why doesn't someone say something publicly? It's a great question because I think there are people itching to do it.

Obviously, any owner who makes a statement risks a $1-million fine. By now, that's pocket change compared to what some of their teams have lost in revenue. It's not the money, though, it's what happens down the road.

"The commissioner [Gary Bettman] will remember," one executive said.

Outdoor games, entry drafts, all-star weekend, even a spot on the powerful executive committee -- all of that stuff is important for owners to get. Step out of line and you know those opportunities are lost."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...iscontent.html

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's also a Randist (Ayn Rand).
"The question isnt who's going to let me;
the question is who is going to stop me"?.
Ayn Rand

Old
11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
He's also a Randist (Ayn Rand). He would have a hard reconciling Revenue Sharing and making sacrifices that cost actual $$$ for the good of the collective-- I would guess.
I believe Snider cares more about seeing the Flyers win than he does that other stuff.

11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I believe Snider cares more about seeing the Flyers win than he does that other stuff.
he did create the Rand insitute...so who knows(but Snider)

Its really about core philosphy....so who knows.

hey if you have billions too...why do you need to worry about getting more???

on the positive the players have prasied him in the past(flyers)

and yes he doesnt have alot of time ,parse to win a cup and he likes his hockey..so who knows.

bottom line some of these hardliners tend to think diffrent than alot of us avg joes..

its hard to contmplate what there priorty is...but have to watch their actions..

till proven otherwise I would see his actions more focused on sweeping aside unions/oppsition to his "higher ideals"

I would see it more of him being practical in seeing the hardline approach isnt going to garner their profits and playing this year.......reload for next time ,reload to his higher focus

Last edited by crazyforhockey: 11-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
yes I would agree,it goes against all the principles of Ayn Rand....and most likely his own

Old
11-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Friedman (CBC):

[I]"That's why it wasn't a surprise to read a Philadelphia Daily News report that Flyers chairman Ed Snider had "soured on the process." Snider, who owns approximately 30 per cent of the team, denied the story, but I would just say this about Daily News writer Frank Seravalli: He's not one to make wild guesses.
I disagree about Seravalli. He is the least reliable of the Flyers beat writers. He has put several bogus items out there in the past.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:36 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I disagree about Seravalli. He is the least reliable of the Flyers beat writers. He has put several bogus items out there in the past.
That says a lot considering he is going up against Panaccio and Carchidi!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
The timing is interesting too; right after Giroux reportedly gets hurt. There's no way that Snider, who seems hell-bent on seeing one more Cup, is pleased to see his core players racking up injuries overseas.
Exactly.

I don't like Snider, his philosophy, or his team, but he is a shrewd businessman. He has to realize there is no "win" in this lockout scenario for either side. He's tuned in with sponsors and the business aspect of the league.

Fan apathy is building, and he knows that won't bode well for the team's pocketbook. If he helps end this, good on him.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Friedman (CBC):

"That's why it wasn't a surprise to read a Philadelphia Daily News report that Flyers chairman Ed Snider had "soured on the process." Snider, who owns approximately 30 per cent of the team, denied the story, but I would just say this about Daily News writer Frank Seravalli: He's not one to make wild guesses.

The obvious question for any annoyed fan reading this blog would be: Why doesn't someone say something publicly? It's a great question because I think there are people itching to do it.

Obviously, any owner who makes a statement risks a $1-million fine. By now, that's pocket change compared to what some of their teams have lost in revenue. It's not the money, though, it's what happens down the road.

"The commissioner [Gary Bettman] will remember," one executive said.

Outdoor games, entry drafts, all-star weekend, even a spot on the powerful executive committee -- all of that stuff is important for owners to get. Step out of line and you know those opportunities are lost."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...iscontent.html
Geez- what kind of commissioner is this guy? Doesn't he work for the BoG; does he have the final say on all the plums? Find that hard to believe but, if true, no wonder they're in so much trouble.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Geez- what kind of commissioner is this guy? Doesn't he work for the BoG; does he have the final say on all the plums? Find that hard to believe but, if true, no wonder they're in so much trouble.
whats so hard to believe? who do u think gets to pick out who gets the all star game, drafts, winter classic, ect...

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Maybe he would be against doing things for the good of the collective but since their philosophy is "nobody will stop me" then he could go all out and tell the players to rot whatever it takes. Because them losing power would be good for him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:49 AM
JuniorNelson

Bettman has been playing this as all-in from the beginning. The minority owner of a team doesn't have much pull. The ownership group of this league is near a hundred seperate entities and each will have a strong opinion. Bettman has his mandate, Schnieder has his opinion.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Bettman has been playing this as all-in from the beginning. The minority owner of a team doesn't have much pull. The ownership group of this league is near a hundred seperate entities and each will have a strong opinion. Bettman has his mandate, Schnieder has his opinion.
Ed Snider isn't a "minority owner of a team." W. Brett Wilson (to pick a name that should be familiar from the Shea Weber situation over the summer) is a minority owner of a team.

Snider? Dude mortgaged his house to pay the franchise fees to start the club. He was the founder and owner of the Flyers and their parent company Spectacor until FREAKING COMCAST bought a majority interest - and they then kept him around as Chairman and CEO.

Last edited by Unstable: 11-20-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: My apologies, Fugu
Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... wow there. Dont know that Junior was discounting Ed Sniders weight & heft within the league itself. No question he's been one of the most powerful and influential owners in the league pretty much since the early 70's when his Flyers combined with some excellent players quite literally punched their way to the top of the heap. Really it was touch & go there in the City of Brotherly Love from 67-68 through 71-72 or so, the Flyers always competitive & more than respectable ever since. Over the years, his power, influence & of course wealth has grown to staggering heights. Anyone who underestimates Ed Sniders influence on the mechanizations of the NHL does so at their own expense. Even at his age, Id hazard to guess he's by far a lot more powerful than Jacobs in determining policy & direction, and forget about MSG or MLSE, rendered impotent despite their wealth. That guy flexes his muscles, look out. Of the lot, he's probably the only one that Gary Bettman actually worries about, fears, and for good reason.

Last edited by Fugu: 11-20-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: thanks!
Old
11-20-2012, 12:38 PM
thom

I have to agree with the last two people the synder family is powerful and done a lot of good for hockey in usa.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Snider is 79. He probably wants to see his team win the Cup before you know...
I was thinking the same thing. Philly has been super aggressive the last bunch of years in trades and signings. He wants a cup BADLY. Father time catches us all.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Snider is the minority owner of the Flyers in the same way that the President is a minority player in the US Government.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Snider is the minority owner of the Flyers in the same way that the President is a minority player in the US Government.
... pretty much. People might think New York City is the NHL's Capital, but in reality? Philadelphia Baby. Pennsylvania. Jacobs, AEG, Bettman & all the rest of them serve at Sniders leisure and indulgence. When he's had enough of this nonsense, believe
you me; lockouts over.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Haha, I'm not saying that he's the most influential man in the NHL. I'm pointing out that saying he's "just minority owner" of the Flyers doesn't reflect reality.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote