HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 09:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Dynamite, dynamite,
When Vandy starts to fight!
Down the field with blood to yield,
If need be save the shield!
If vict'ry's won when battle's done,
Then Vandy's name will rise in fame!
Win or lose, the Fates will choose,
But Vandy's game will be the same!
Dynamite, dynamite,
When Vandy starts to fight!

Baylor scores again, up three touchdowns. Looks like we'll have a new #1 again tomorrow night...

Old
11-17-2012, 11:16 PM
NoNecksCurse

alabama vs notre dame in the national championship... wow.

and visqi.. remember when you bashed the SEC for being so weak? .. specifically the east. wanna take that back lol.

6 of the top 10 teams are from the SEC. despite the haters, SEC continues to be the best. and I'm expecting an alabama win by 10+ pts if bama and irish meet in NCG

Old
11-17-2012, 11:53 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post

and visqi.. remember when you bashed the SEC for being so weak? .. specifically the east. wanna take that back lol.

6 of the top 10 teams are from the SEC. despite the haters, SEC continues to be the best. and I'm expecting an alabama win by 10+ pts if bama and irish meet in NCG
Didn't Florida and South Carolina just recently struggle with Louisiana-Lafayette and Wofford respectively?

Old
11-17-2012, 11:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Didn't Florida and South Carolina just recently struggle with Louisiana-Lafayette and Wofford respectively?
didn't kansas state just get mopped by a 4 win team baylor? ... it happens, its college football. final score - florida 23-0 .. south carolina 24-7 ..

since you obviously disagree, whats the best conference in college football?

Old
11-18-2012, 12:05 AM
AdmiralsFan24

I never said it wasn't. I just think it's bad timing to tout the SEC, specifically the East, which you did when two teams from the East have struggled with opponents from the Sun Belt conference and two FCS schools. Yes I know the final score of the South Carolina game was 24-7 but it was tied with 12 minutes left in the game.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:23 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I never said it wasn't. I just think it's bad timing to tout the SEC, specifically the East, which you did when two teams from the East have struggled with opponents from the Sun Belt conference and two FCS schools. Yes I know the final score of the South Carolina game was 24-7 but it was tied with 12 minutes left in the game.
I watched the game.. south carolina played like crap. wofford is a respectable FCS opponent coming with an 8-2 record before today. games like that happen. obviously south carolina overlooked them. doesn't dispute the solidity of the SEC east or their resume.

now florida's performance against ULL was pathetic. but again, they won thats all that matters. ULL is respectable in the sun belt but that game shouldn't have been close. we will see more next week when the gators play florida state (ACC champs likely).. then we can resume discussion over florida.

all in all, I just dont see how someone can bash the SEC at all..east or west. sure, you can bash them here and there.. but the whole country is ready for the SEC to fall. the SEC faces more scrutiny than any conference in the nation...

talk about scrutiny... what about the lack of it for notre dame.. they have 2 quality wins. oklahoma (who was a hair away from 3 losses tonight) and stanford but the refs screwed the pooch. not to mention, the irish have no conference championship game to bolster their resume. i think oregon should be in before the irish. dont forget if pittsburgh makes that 30 yard field goal, they lose that game too.

notre dame beat michigan by 7.. alabama beat them by 27. notre dame beat purdue, BYU, pittsburgh by 3 PTS ... you were talking about lackluster performances against lesser opponent... what about those? lol

Old
11-18-2012, 12:57 AM
token grinder

I argue all the time that the SEC isn't the best football conference, but mostly just for fun. Top to bottom I think they are the best, and the pac 12 next. However, I do not think the gap is as large as people make it out to be, because I do think the SEC is overrated a bit, mainly due to ESPN and CBS, as far as coverage goes. I thin the top 2 matchups would be a tossup. I think 3 and 4 favor SEC. and the rest would go either way ntil the bottom, where I think the pac 12 teams can sore more than the crap at the bottom of the SEC.

Alabama-Oregon
Georgia-Stanford
LSU-USC
Florida-Oregon State
South Carolina-UCLA
Texas A&M.-Washington
Miss. St-Arizona
Vanderbilt-Arizona St.
Ole Miss-Utah
Mizzou/Tennessee-Cal
Arkansas-Washington St.
Auburn/Kentucky-Colorado

Old
11-18-2012, 01:11 AM
NoNecksCurse

I agree with you. the gap is not a big one. pac 12 is number 2 imo as well.. ill do my matchups with winners in bold

alabama vs oregon
georgia vs stanford
LSU vs oregon state
texas a&m vs UCLA
florida vs USC
south carolina vs washington
miss st vs arizona
vanderbilt vs arizona state .... after this matchup, pretty much all teams suck bad except ole miss

Old
11-18-2012, 03:13 AM
AdmiralsFan24

I think LSU runs Oregon State out of the building. A very mediocre Wisconsin team almost beat (and should have had the chance to beat if not for a horrible call on an onside kick recovery) Oregon State on the road with Danny O'Brien who gets happy feet when a pass rusher gets within 10 feet of him.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
when the 5th best team in the conference is #8 in the nation, thats the strongest conference, AINEC

whoever said that Oregon is better than Alabama is smoking crack....

and its also obvious that some teams cant deal very well with being #1.... isnt this the second time K-State made it to #1 and then just got spanked the very next game? or am I misremembering?

Old
11-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Legionnaire11

The Sun Belt is vastly improved in the last 5 years, when they debuted it was easily the worst conference in NCAAF. Now i'd definitely rank them firmly ahead of the WAC, and probably even or slightly ahead of the MAC (some MAC teams have more name recognition which makes them appear better), and then behind the Mountain West for now as they are losing Boise State next season.

I'm not saying they are a national power or anything, just that the Sun Belt isn't a pushover anymore, and actually very competitive. Southern universities take football seriously!

Old
11-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Legionnaire11

aaaaand... Dooley is out

Old
11-18-2012, 11:25 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
whoever said that Oregon is better than Alabama is smoking crack....
i didn't say oregon was better. those are just matchups from each conference with my rankings and who would win. alabama is the better team but oregon's style and pace would be tough on bama. it'd be a good game

Old
11-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

VU-41 UT-18 I haven't felt this redeemed/good since The Preds ousted the Wings in the playoffs. Beating your rivals that you had zero success against is one thing but to absolutely pound them into the ground and break their will is sooooo sweet

Old
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
not so fast, my friend

Old
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
not so fast, my friend
with barkley out, notre dame is in. then winner of bama/georgia and bama will be favorite but it will be a close game.

i honestly think the irish will be one of the weakest teams in the title game in recent memory. very overrated.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Predatorbill

Quote:
with barkley out, notre dame is in. then winner of bama/georgia and bama will be favorite but it will be a close game.

i honestly think the irish will be one of the weakest teams in the title game in recent memory. very overrated.

I don't think the game at USC is a gimme.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
I don't think the game at USC is a gimme.
not a gimme.. but barkley out is huge. if he was in, i could easily see USC winning especially at the coliseum

Old
11-20-2012, 12:07 AM
token grinder

Quote:

it isn't like the freshman coming in is trash. granted, I am a USC homer, but the kid is a redshirt and throwing to the best recievers in America. Big game on big stage and trying to get Lee into the Heisman race over the southern footbal machine, USC an win.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:11 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
The Sun Belt is vastly improved in the last 5 years, when they debuted it was easily the worst conference in NCAAF. Now i'd definitely rank them firmly ahead of the WAC, and probably even or slightly ahead of the MAC (some MAC teams have more name recognition which makes them appear better), and then behind the Mountain West for now as they are losing Boise State next season.

I'm not saying they are a national power or anything, just that the Sun Belt isn't a pushover anymore, and actually very competitive. Southern universities take football seriously!
I wouldn't rate the Sun Belt ahead of the MAC, but they're definitely on par with C-USA at this point, particularly when you consider the state of C-USA. It's going to be really, really weak next year when UCF and SMU bolt (Houston won't help, but they've been inconsistent over the years).

Maryland basically saying they need money and are going to the Big Ten after next season. I HATE this move, but if they have to do it, I guess they have to do it. Rutgers is expected to join them tomorrow.

This could get really interesting. UConn to the ACC feels like a foregone conclusion at this point. Louisville could be on the move, as could Cincinnati, but more teams could be leaving the ACC, particularly FSU, GT, and Clemson. VA Tech maybe, but I think any move they make would have to be a package deal with Virginia (seems like I remember that even being on the books in Virginia). That could then lead to more aftershocks and more conferences in dire straits like the WAC, which is watching its football championship die with a whimper, and they could be forced to take in the last three teams in the Great West just to stay alive.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I wouldn't rate the Sun Belt ahead of the MAC, but they're definitely on par with C-USA at this point, particularly when you consider the state of C-USA. It's going to be really, really weak next year when UCF and SMU bolt (Houston won't help, but they've been inconsistent over the years).

Maryland basically saying they need money and are going to the Big Ten after next season. I HATE this move, but if they have to do it, I guess they have to do it. Rutgers is expected to join them tomorrow.

This could get really interesting. UConn to the ACC feels like a foregone conclusion at this point. Louisville could be on the move, as could Cincinnati, but more teams could be leaving the ACC, particularly FSU, GT, and Clemson. VA Tech maybe, but I think any move they make would have to be a package deal with Virginia (seems like I remember that even being on the books in Virginia). That could then lead to more aftershocks and more conferences in dire straits like the WAC, which is watching its football championship die with a whimper, and they could be forced to take in the last three teams in the Great West just to stay alive.
I could see Louisville being attracted to the ACC, especially if the Big East's BCS status is in jeopardy. From a basketball standpoint its probably a wash and it would be an upgrade in football.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I could see Louisville being attracted to the ACC, especially if the Big East's BCS status is in jeopardy. From a basketball standpoint its probably a wash and it would be an upgrade in football.
I could see Louisville following West Virginia to the Big XII, also, since they're concerned with quality football as well as basketball, and the Big XII has better football and high-quality basketball.

Maryland's departure could have huge implications for the other schools. If they can whittle down the $50M exit fee, then other schools will be able to do the same, and that means Florida State is Big XII bound (their only real option, IMO).

With the recent move to take away the Big East's AQ in the playoff system come 2014, this could be the knockout punch for that conference's football championship. Boise and SDSU are already rethinking their moves, and the Independent waters apparently haven't been as inviting for BYU as the Cougars thought they would be. That would put the Mountain West in the position I thought it was going to be in when all of this crap started - as the premier mid-major football league. To be honest, I just want to see everyone go nuts and try to get to 16 (the highest I can see anyone going), then let everything else shake out.

On a note unrelated to the conference shuffle, ETSU had two players arrested yesterday for possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia:

Quote:
Investigators with the First Judicial Drug Task Force told News Channel 11 Dubose gave permission to have a package checked at the post office. Investigators told us that package contained marijuana. That find, according to investigators, led to a search of the apartment where Dubose and Cooley lived.
Basically, somebody was sending Dubose weed by mail, which - as if using controlled substances (or any substances) while on a full scholarship weren't bad enough - is just incredibly dumb.

Our team now has a combined 12.35 games of Division I experience.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
To be honest, I just want to see everyone go nuts and try to get to 16 (the highest I can see anyone going), then let everything else shake out.
Ditto. If Conferences shrink to 15 or 16 you can cause the number of conferences to go down to 8, creating a nice set up for a 16 team playoff system...If the college presidents would remove their craniums from their alimentary canals...

So it's not going to happen.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
token grinder

I think 4 power conferences is where it is headed.

Pac 12 needs 4
SEC needs 2
Big 12 needs 6
Big 10 needs 4

I could see the Pac 10 adding SD state, Bosie St, Hawaii, and SMU (for a Texas stake)
I could see the Big 12 adding Louisville, Florida St., Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt, and Clemson
I could see the SEC adding Va Tech and NC State
I could see the Big 10 adding Duke, North Carolina, Ga Tech, and Notre Dame

Gives the Pac 12 an entry into Texas, and solidifies the NW corner of the country
Gives the Big 12 an entry into Florida, plus some good teams up and down the coast plus a nice market in Pittsburgh and upstate NY
Gives SEC 2 teams I think most expect to end up there anyway, ans State isn't a package deal with tobacco road
Gives the Big 10 2 teams that probably make the Big 10 the basketball conference an entry to the atlanta market for their network and their golden egg in notre dame.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think 4 power conferences is where it is headed.

Pac 12 needs 4
SEC needs 2
Big 12 needs 6
Big 10 needs 4

I could see the Pac 10 adding SD state, Bosie St, Hawaii, and SMU (for a Texas stake)
I could see the Big 12 adding Louisville, Florida St., Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt, and Clemson
I could see the SEC adding Va Tech and NC State
I could see the Big 10 adding Duke, North Carolina, Ga Tech, and Notre Dame

Gives the Pac 12 an entry into Texas, and solidifies the NW corner of the country
Gives the Big 12 an entry into Florida, plus some good teams up and down the coast plus a nice market in Pittsburgh and upstate NY
Gives SEC 2 teams I think most expect to end up there anyway, ans State isn't a package deal with tobacco road
Gives the Big 10 2 teams that probably make the Big 10 the basketball conference an entry to the atlanta market for their network and their golden egg in notre dame.
Problem for NC State leaving the ACC is that their board is run by UNC Which is like the Red Wings drafting 60% of the Predators' players

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/01/virgini...tical-battles/
Quote:
State has a 13-person board of trustees. One member is the president of the student government. Four trustees are appointed by the governor. The remaining eight NCSU trustees are elected by the UNC board of governors.

Closed Thread