HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blocking the shot vs. letting the goalie see the puck

Old
11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Never asked the goalie. I block shots when I can though.

My rule for beer league is if you are far enough for them to set and wind up, just let them have the shot.

If you can close them down and they get a weak wrister off, I'll stand in the way more often than not. Had at least ten blocked shots one game and the goalie didn't mind.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

As a goaltender I have no problem with my D men blocking shots, yet there are a few rules I prefer them to follow:

1. If the shots coming from around the top of the circle, let em take it. I've got time, angle, and a clear view of it, so unless they've got a rocket of a shot, its not going in. And if they do have a rocket, I really don't want my d man getting injured doing my job.
2. Commit to it. Don't flamingo or start swinging your stick around hoping to get a piece of it. You get injured or I have to less time to react to your deflection.
3. Don't bat at high pucks with your hand/stick/head/whatever. I have a catcher, Ill use it. Most of the time this move goes horribly wrong and usually leads to a goal. On the off chance you do catch it, for the love of god, don't drop it at your feet...throw it in the corner, skate away from the net and drop it. No need to put it on a tee for the guy in front of me to unload one from two feet way.
I know we're not playing in the NHL, but just keeping these points in mind helps us goalies out there, and keeps you guys safe.

I had a D man on team a few years back that thought he was playing my position. God bless him for laying his body on the line time after time, but his weekly war wounds came from plays I could have easily made. And many of the goals that went in were after scrambles directly resulting in his relentless tries to stop pucks from being shot at me. Pucks going off him most often made their way to the man he was supposed to be covering...and then into the net. After awhile he was more of a threat infront of me than the other team.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
CanucksSayEh

Took a clapper point blank to the foot last night. **** that ****, goalies on his own from now on.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:50 AM
ShakeyBonez

Took a puck to the gut, blocking some benders clapper from the point at pick-up... all i can say, is FTS (F()&* That Sh%^).. I am no longer blocking pucks regardless of the beer league.

That is unless they offer me some cash, like 10$ per blocked shot or something lol.. But until then the Goalie is on his own!

ShakeyBonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:36 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Took a clapper point blank to the foot last night. **** that ****, goalies on his own from now on.
That's just the nature of the game. Not sure if you tried to block the shot or if your foot was in the way?

I want to add that I don't try to "block", but I don't shy away from a shot either. I stand right up to the shooter and make him/her blast it through me. Surprising how many puck graze off the stick and pads. Again I don't dive, crouch, use my foot, anything to actively block a shot, but my thought is you have to stand up because turning or jumping out the way could be more harmful. Also it seems like the code of the game to not be afraid of getting in the way...I guess you want to at least look like you're not scared to block it!

May be there's a choice to block or not if you have time to see the shot developing? Sometimes it seems the shot happens so quick you just have to stay square.

I hope my post is not adding confusion to the subject...

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:35 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if im playing the wing and im 5-8' from the dman i will skate right at him and try to block the shot, mostly because if i get it clean i'll get a breakaway with no backcheck. if im playing d im letting the goalie save it.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:39 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Never asked the goalie. I block shots when I can though.

My rule for beer league is if you are far enough for them to set and wind up, just let them have the shot.

If you can close them down and they get a weak wrister off, I'll stand in the way more often than not. Had at least ten blocked shots one game and the goalie didn't mind.
In beer league I only ever attempt to poke the puck away on the windup. If I can't get it I'm getting the hell out of the way. When I was a teenager I'd be in front of that shot no problem. Nowadays wearing a cast for a month just doesn't seem as cool.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 145
As a goalie, I have one rule.

Don't use your stick to block a shot.

I hate playing with d-bags who give a 50% effort and try to block a shot with the shaft of their stick or the tip of their blade.

Yeah, all you did was change direction of the puck and now that soft shot that was going to hit me in the centre of my chest is now going into an open corner and i can't do anything abou it. Way to go! Now I look like crappy goalie because I couldn't stop a shot from 60 feet away with nobody in front of me.

It's probably the one thing about being a goalie that would make me go postal one day.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 134
Shooter| - - - | - - - | - - - | - - - |Goalie
Zones___ 1 ____ 2 ____ 3 ____ 4

My train of thought is that it depends on how close you are to the shooter if you broke the distance between the shooter and goalie into quarters.

In Q1 anything you can get on the shot should be enough to send it wide or still allow your goalie to adjust to a slower puck.

In Q2 you have to be a wall never reach in with your stick especially if the puck gets off the ice only block it here if you can position yourself directly in the the path or else get out of the way.

In Q3 and Q4 tie up any forward looking for a tip or trying to screen and get out of the way do what you can to always keep a lane open between your goalie and the puck. Again never never never reach in with your stick and that goes double when the puck is off the ice.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
CaptBrannigan

As a beer league goalie, I tell my players they never have to block a shot. Most of the guys in our league can crank it pretty hard and I'm the one with the big pads, so I don't begrudge anyone who doesn't want to get hit.

For the ones who do, I only really ask 2 things. First, be within a stick's length of the puck if you're going to try for a block. That way if it does just tick off of them and still comes at me it's a lot easier if it happens quick, rather than when the shot is already halfway to me. Also prevents players from "reaching", which just results in tips. Second, please try not to "flamingo". You know, lifting one leg like those crazy pink birds do. If you're in the lane and the puck is shot, I'm counting on it going around you if it's coming at all, not through you.

CaptBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote