HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Power Rankings of NHL uniforms

Old
11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnin54 View Post
My team the sharks ended up in the middle and im fine with that. I think we have good looking jerseys
Well, they used to be great (initial jersey, colors, and logo when they entered the league).

Now they're just good.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnin54 View Post
My team the sharks ended up in the middle and im fine with that. I think we have good looking jerseys
I think they're under-appreciated. The orange and teal look fantastic together IMO

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Mowerman

Leafs should be ranked better. Having the Jays ahead of the Leafs is laughable. The basis for Montreal being ahead of Toronto is laughable. The only original 6 team ranked worse than the Leafs is the Hawks. What's going on there? Philly ahead of both? Unreal. Leafs, Hawks, Habs, Bruins, Rags/Wings. Who cares about any other sweater anyways? Original 6 or bust.

Honestly, can ESPN do anything right?

edit: "Proud standard-bearers for a league, a sport, a nation and now for the uni-verse as well" lol I wonder what kind of drugs they took before writing that. Ridiculous.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
All this to try and explain why the Oiler logo is iconic? As I said earlier, you shouldn't need to try this hard to tell people how important it is. The Oil logo is as iconic as the Isles logo. Nobody is debating how good the team was in the 80s.

You should heed your earlier post. Or just keep spouting off random nonsense, the choice is yours.
Do you read your own posts? I am responding to what you have posted - not really anything to do with the ESPN list.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Ogopogo*

I took a closer look at this list and, it is embarrassing. It is one man's opinion and that doesn't mean much. Some love certain logos, others hate the very same logos so this is no more relevant than any of us posting our personal list.

But, anyone that does not have the Cleveland Browns at #122 is really puzzling to me. A plain brown helmet. Yay.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Do you read your own posts? I am responding to what you have posted - not really anything to do with the ESPN list.
Does anyone care about the ESPN list? Earlier, post was made about the Oil jersey being iconic. I disagreed.

Just take your reaction to an Islanders jersey and then apply it to what many people think about the Oil jersey. It's a bit like a Mustang logo, great for awhile in the early days then decades of who cares.

Now if you wrote "EDMONTON" over the logo it would be awesome. (to be very clear to people, this last line is not meant to be taken seriously)

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Does anyone care about the ESPN list? Earlier, post was made about the Oil jersey being iconic. I disagreed.

Just take your reaction to an Islanders jersey and then apply it to what many people think about the Oil jersey. It's a bit like a Mustang logo, great for awhile in the early days then decades of who cares.

Now if you wrote "EDMONTON" over the logo it would be awesome. (to be very clear to people, this last line is not meant to be taken seriously)
Both jerseys are iconic. Those teams wove themselves into a significant place in the fabric of the NHL's history with their dynasties. They aren't iconic in the sense that an original six team is, but the franchise has earned a certain amount of respect and dignity from past accomplishments that a, say, Vancouver can't really compete with.

They have the looks and they have the history. They aren't a Toronto or Montreal with a long and storied history but they aren't a Vancouver either.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Quote:
But, anyone that does not have the Cleveland Browns at #122 is really puzzling to me. A plain brown helmet. Yay.
A plain orange helmet.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with the Islanders logo - there is a rich history behind it as well.

What makes a logo iconic and timeless is the success and memorable history tied to the logo. The Oilers, Islanders and Canadiens all have iconic logos because of the success they represent. Teams like the Blue Jackets, Canucks and Panthers have none of that success thus, the depth and meaning of their logos is non-existent.

As an aside, I happen to think the Oilers logo is a very cool design - much more attractive than many NHL logos.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 11-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

I'm a big CHI jersey fan and would've put it top 10 at least.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:56 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with the Islanders logo - there is a rich history behind it as well.

What makes a logo iconic and timeless is the success and memorable history tied to the logo. The Oilers, Islanders and Canadiens all have iconic logos because of the success they represent. Teams like the Blue Jackets, Canucks and Panthers have none of that success thus, the depth and meaning of their logos is non-existent.

As an aside, I happen to think the Oilers logo is a very cool design - much more attractive than many NHL logos.
Ah yes, the Blue Jackets, Panthers and Canucks, the great triumvirate.

The Cancks could win the Cup 4 years in a row wearing the current jersey, that would not make it iconic in 2018 or in 2035 no matter how hard someone tried to convince you. It would simply be the jersey they were wearing at a time when they won the Cup.

Aside 2.0, its great that you like your area team's logo.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
They have the looks and they have the history. They aren't a Toronto or Montreal with a long and storied history but they aren't a Vancouver either.
Something tells me Habs fans might not appreciate being lumped in. Who would have thunk adding a 7th team would make hockey so hard?

Old
11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Something tells me Habs fans might not appreciate being lumped in. Who would have thunk adding a 7th team would make hockey so hard?
..what? Try again.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Loungie

Wow Columbus is in the top ten, didn't see that coming..

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
How about you keep things in perspective and use merchandising in the context of NHL teams or sports teams as opposed to comparing it to the richest company in the world?
You're the one who brought up Apple. Not me.

Quote:
Im comparing company identities and their logos, not revenue.
You should reread what I wrote because I never compared revenue.

Quote:
And the oilers sell their brand just fine, and I'm sure they're doing great business these days selling their new generation of talent.
I doubt many people outside the Oilers home market are wearing Oilers gear since the logo is so lame.

Quote:
2. I can throw that back at you with companies like Apple, FedEx, IBM, Nike, McDonald's, KFC, 3m, Ford etc who have been using pretty much the same logo for decades.
Many of those companies have updated their logos to not look dated. The ones that don't have such classic timeless logos that they didn't need to.

Quote:
Who said that the Starbucks logo change was widely accepted? When it was first revealed they were changing it, a lot of people were scratching their heads asking "why? There's nothing wrong with it."
That's because they've got a forward thinking management team instead of the inept people running the Oilers.

Last edited by slocal: 11-19-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: insults
WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
I doubt many people outside the Oilers home market are wearing Oilers gear
There seem to be a lot in Ottawa:

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 11-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
icerocket

Most Stanley Cups, best fans, and now the best uniform?

Habs are truly the best.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Most Stanley Cups, best fans, and now the best uniform?

Habs are truly the best.
I know this isn't the thread for debating who has the best fans, but I would say Toronto>Montreal.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
paradeofwolves

The Rangers uniform is waaaaay too high, imo. Never got the appeal.

paradeofwolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
There seem to be a lot in Ottawa:

I don't see many. Those that are there are probably people from Edmonton who got sick of living in a city that was still living in the 80's.

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 11-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I'm no stranger to controversial topics, so I'll be happy to jump in.

Chicago. There is one aspect of the Blackhawks that is truly timeless, and that's the beautifully ornate chain-stitching on the crest and shoulder patches. If you've only seen replicas, find the real deal...they're absolutely beautiful.

Now then.

In 2007, when the Reebok Edge took over across the league, almost no one knew what the hell they were doing. The Rangers actually had their first set of game jerseys hemmed to eliminate the rounded flap at the bottom. That's nothing new though; the 2001-02 and 2002-03 All-Star jerseys had the rounded flap, and the Predators mustard alternates had them as well.

Anyway, nothing has really changed. The only teams that successfully incorporated the flap as a design element in 2007 were as follows:
- Calgary
- Columbus
- Dallas (white only)
- Los Angeles (with the wordmark, rather than with stripes)
- Minnesota (white only)
- NY Islanders
- Washington
- Anaheim, only because their irregular sweeping stripes are different

Today, the only ones added across the league that have successfully used the flap are Florida (alternate only), Tampa (alternate only), and Winnipeg. Florida's alternate is going away anyway.

Now, out of that original 8, Calgary and Washington both have huge vertical stripes. Dallas and Anaheim are bland as hell. The Islanders and Kings changed their sets entirely.

And that leaves Minnesota's road jersey and Columbus (home and road) as the only ones that both used the flap AND have remained unchanged since 2007. I absolutely love Minnesota's whites, but then again I also find any variant of the red/white/green color scheme to be appealing in the first place.

But every other team in the league has had a huge blank flap of a jersey at the bottom, which gives it too much of a practice jersey type of look. In that case, we're looking at "history" and "tradition" more than anything else...if this were truly the most important factor, the Philadelphia Flyers (whose logo is completely unchanged since 1967, and whose jerseys have changed one in the pre-Reebok era) would automatically rise to the top.

Quote:
I took a closer look at this list and, it is embarrassing. It is one man's opinion and that doesn't mean much. Some love certain logos, others hate the very same logos so this is no more relevant than any of us posting our personal list.

It's an orange helmet with brown and white stripes. Same as it's been basically since the beginning, when they were winning 7 championships in their first 10 years.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It's an orange helmet with brown and white stripes. Same as it's been basically since the beginning, when they were winning 7 championships in their first 10 years.
I assume he will concede that the Browns are MORE iconic than even the Oil after reading your post.