HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
moral victories

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
ticketmaster.com won't let me enter a Canadian billing address for tickets in Bingo, but it let me for tickets in Syracuse. This is really annoying.

Any tips from the Canadians who have already been? How did you buy your tickets?
Phone the B-Sens up.

Last edited by Leave Spezza Alone: 11-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old
11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
KT7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
In my inbox:

Dear Fabio,

Under the guidance of first year head coach and former Senators defenceman Luke Richardson, the Binghamton Senators are vying for a return to Eastern Conference supremacy in the American Hockey League. We want you to be there for the game on Saturday, November 24 to cheer on the team! We have put together a special package exclusively for season-seat and suite owners.

Bridgeport Sound Tigers at Binghamton Senators

Saturday Nov. 24, 2012 - 7:05 p.m.
• The package includes a return trip from Scotiabank Place on Saturday, November 24 and a game ticket for only $60.
• Call 613-599-0300 to purchase your trip package.
Don’t wait long, we have limited seats. Deadline to purchase a trip package is Tuesday, November 20 at 5 p.m.
Trip details:
• You MUST have a valid passport.
• Bus leaves from the Scotiabank Place on Saturday, November 24 at 1 p.m. and returns after the game.
• You can park your car in parking lot #9 at Scotiabank Place.
• You are responsible for your own food and beverage.

See your favourite B-Sens players as they face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Cheer on familiar faces like Mark Borowiecki, Robin Lehner, Jakob Silfverberg, Patrick Wiercioch and Mika Zibanejad. Call 613-599-0300.

Anyone know if you can drink on the bus?

Old
11-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
ticketmaster.com won't let me enter a Canadian billing address for tickets in Bingo, but it let me for tickets in Syracuse. This is really annoying.

Any tips from the Canadians who have already been? How did you buy your tickets?
Call the Sens office for tix (607) 722-7367, PM me if you still have a problem

Old
11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Call the Sens office for tix (607) 722-7367, PM me if you still have a problem
Thanks, I spent some time on hold with ticketmaster and they fixed it for me over the phone.

With that said, I still haven't got a confirmation......

Old
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Alf Silfversson

Claesson has been a pleasant surprise so far this year.

I think, in a limited role, he's playing remarkably well for 19 year getting his first taste of North American hockey.

To put it in perspective, how good would this kid look in the CHL this year?

Old
11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I have been on the Claesson train for a while. He did well in the SEL, despite being on a bad team.

In the CHL, he would be a top pairing. First PK unit and on the second PP unit.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Alf Silfversson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I have been on the Claesson train for a while. He did well in the SEL, despite being on a bad team.

I thought he looked solid in last year's WJHC, but I thought that initially he'd struggle more in the A than he has.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post
I thought he looked solid in last year's WJHC, but I thought that initially he'd struggle more in the A than he has.
on top of that, he seems to be more physical than i initially expected.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
mjlee

The Swedish tabloid Expressen did a big interview with Jakob Silfverberg in Binghampton and it was published in today's paper, http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...d-gor-jag-har/

I did a rough and ready translation. Sorry for the sometimes awkward wording and grammar. Swedish journalism has a different setup to English/American. I did not translate the part where he talks about Brynas current problems.

"In the beginning I wondered what I was doing here"

Jakob Silfverberg is, of course, too good to play in the AHL. You would think that he would prefer being at home in Brynas. “In the beginning I did wonder what I was doing here and I was homesick. But now I don’t think about either the NHL or Brynas. And the coach has told me I’m learning new things every day,” Jakob tells us. He has even learned how to fight.

That knowing how to fight is useful in the AHL is something I realize as soon as I come to this rundown city which God forgot. Binghampton Senators are meeting Airondacks Phantoms and during the second period there is sudden chaos. All the players on the ice throw their gloves and start fighting. Beside me in the media section is a woman who screams, “Yeah, baby!”

I, and Jakob Silferberg, who is sitting on the bench at that moment both probably think the same thing as all hell breaks loose, “What will Clara think?” Clara Welin Brook is Jakob’s girlfriend who has just moved to the United States and is watching her first AHL game. The fighting results in six game misconducts, among them the Swedish goon, Fredrik Claesson, who had no choice but to fight. To be prepared for the fighting, Jakob is learning how to fight during practice. The best fighter on the team has taught him some tricks. “We’ve been play fighting during practice,” he says. “Mostly it’s a matter of locking your opponent’s arms so he can’t hit you. I can’t fight like many others here, I’ll lose and get beaten up.“ He has experienced games that have gone totally haywire but adds that, “mostly it’s the same players who do the fighting. So I should be okay if I don’t skate over someone or play dirty. But some games are a bit crazy.”

In front of him on the restaurant table is the Golden Puck . There was no time to have it engraved before he left Sweden. No one recognizes him in Binghampton which is a huge difference from Gavle. “It’s both a negative and a positive,” he says. Of course it’s always fun being appreciated and when people come up to you and talk and are positive. But it’s also nice being anonymous.”

Our waitress doesn’t realize that Jakob is a hockey player until she sees the Golden Puck. “Wow, if you got that, you’ve gotta be pretty good,” she says.

And yes, Jakob Silfverberg is good enough that the assistant coach, Kjell Samuelsson, despite tonight’s loss and Jakob not playing a big part in the game, says, “Silfverberg is an NHL player, you can see that immediately. He has what it takes.”

So of course I have to ask if Jakob is very disappointed to be playing in the AHL instead of in the NHL.

“I haven’t really thought about it, and that’s the truth. Of course I’m a bit disappointed that I haven’t even gotten the chance to compete for a place in the NHL like I wanted to. But I’m here now and that’s all I’m focusing on. I cannot think about anything else. If there are any NHL games this season, that’s a bonus.” He seems sincere when he says that, and then continues, “Of course I had hoped to play in the NHL but now I’m just focusing on helping Binghampton.”

But the AHL is the league no one wants to play in?

“I’ve heard many horror stories about how no one passes you the puck in this league and that everyone wants to leave it, but that has not been my experience at all,” he says. “I don’t know if I’m blind but we have a great bunch here and we have a lot of fun together.”

The NHL lockout means that there are many young stars here and the quality of the AHL is much better than most people realize.

Have you become a better hockey player?

“Yes I have. I didn’t think the game would be so different. It’s a lot faster than at home so I have to know when to make the simple play. When I should tackle(translator note, I think that’s what he means), when I should make a cross pass, when I should shoot the puck and when I should dump it. But I’m getting better and better.”

Now during the lockout, wouldn’t it have been better to have played at home with Brynas?

“I don’t even think about that. I wanted to try something new and I know that this time (in the AHL) will help me immensely. And you have to cut the umbilical at some point. You can’t stay where you are safe, you have to try new things.”

Binghampton beats Airondack 4-2 and the JWC hero, Mika Zibanejad, one of five Swedish players, is elected first star of the game. The coach, Luke Richardson, a veteran of 20 NHL seasons is pleased.

Silfverberg has a bit of a bad conscience. “I’m a player who’s supposed to produce a lot of points. But I have to stop thinking about it all the time, and at least, things have improved lately.”

However, he’s proud of the Golden Puck, “It was nice getting it, and it’s going to look good at home. We’ve just bought a couple of paintings but needed some other decorations. So the Golden Puck will find a good home.”

Jakob about:

Stats crazy North America. “I should have produced a lot more points, I know that. But I haven’t heard much about it. Our power play needs a lot of improvement. At one point it was slightly over 7%. In Brynas it was 30%. When we beat Vaxjo all the goals were scored on the power play. Of course it’s really frustrating when we’re not better than that. It’s just something that has to work.”

What he misses from home. “Nothing really, well maybe the lunch buffet at Lakerol Arena (laughs). Here they eat sandwiches for lunch! And of course I miss friends and relatives but I talk to them on the phone and on Skype every day.”

His Swedish team mates. “I’m really impressed with Robin Lehner. I knew he was a good goalie but not that he was this good. He’s been standing on his head and saved us during several games. Mika Zibanejad is really good, and André Pettersson is very skillful and his shot is a real missile. Frederik Claesson isn’t very big but he’s really tough to face on the ice.

Swedes he’s met in the AHL. “Hampus Lindholm scored a goal against us. Then I faced Ulf Samuelsson’s son, Philip and I didn’t think about the fact that he’s Swedish and when things got a bit rough in front of the goal and he told me to calm down in Swedish I was really surprised.”

His new home. “We live in a nice apartment in a good area twenty minutes from downtown. We have a mall and a cinema close by and we like it there. It’s good enough for us.”

The dream of a Stanley Cup. “Hah! That feels a long way away at the moment. But once you’ve won, you want to win again. But first the lockout must end and then I must fight for a place on the team, and then we’ll see…

Binghampton against Brynas. “Oh! That’s a hard one. It’s a different game here and although Sweden won the JWC on NHL ice I think we’d beat Brynas here at home. I think we’d have more of a problem in Gavle.”

Old
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
The King of Town

Thanks kindly for the translation.

Those Swedish reporters really go fishing for controversial answers.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Good stuff on the JS int, yeah it does look like the reporter was baiting him a bit but he didn't bite. Seems like a good kid, glad he's in the fold and excited to see this kid develop.

Thanks mjlee

Old
11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
sg58

Ah, the yearly "AHL is bad for you, play in Sweden instead" fishing.

Nice job, Mr. Lee.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

"That knowing how to fight is useful in the AHL is something I realize as soon as I come to this rundown city which God forgot."

Just because we are all thinking it, doesn't mean you have to say it!

Just another reason why I am bringing them to Kingston when I get rich.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

"..I realize as soon as I come to this rundown city which God forgot."

Really?? Oh boy, here comes the sh** storm..

Edit: I re-read it a couple of times and it seems the reporter said this , not Jacob

Old
11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
sg58

Quote:
"That knowing how to fight is useful in the AHL is something I realize as soon as I come to this rundown city which God forgot."

Just because we are all thinking it, doesn't mean you have to say it!

Just another reason why I am bringing them to Kingston when I get rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
"..I realize as soon as I come to this rundown city which God forgot."

Really?? Oh boy, here comes the sh** storm..

Edit: I re-read it a couple of times and it seems the reporter said this , not Jacob
That's the writer, not Jakob. No need to boo him when he receives his Player of the Month award.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

I'm nitpicking here but as an overager in the CHL, that wouldn't necessarily be impressive.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I'm nitpicking here but as an overager in the CHL, that wouldn't necessarily be impressive.
I am not nitpicking but.....shut up!

Old
11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

just bring one of those sel teams (sure, brynas) over to bingo for a game and shut these reporters up already. There is much to learn in the ahl that you cannot learn in sweden.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I am not nitpicking but.....shut up!

In all fairness I think Claesson has proven thus far that he has a chance.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

So far he has proven he was not a wasted 5th round pick, even it is just to help Bingo and to keep Zibby happy

Old
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Does anyone else miss Brian Lee .... me neither.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Does anyone else miss Brian Lee .... me neither.
the local baby gap?

sales have gone down since he left.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Jakob mother*****ing Silfverberg. This guy is our star in the making.

Quote:
the local baby gap?

sales have gone down since he left.
LOL, this had me bursting into laughter. Well played, sir.... well played.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Toronto vs Abbotsford, show game on tv.

Toronto vs Binghamton, screw Ottawa fans.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Dionysus

Anyone have a stream or even a radio feed for this game?

Closed Thread