HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hah, Brendan Shanahan is part of the NHL contingent tonight. Now he gets to see what it's like from the other side of the table. After all of his ridiculous comments during the 2004/2005 lockout... this should be amusing.
What was his comments last time?

Old
11-19-2012, 07:15 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
so you were a complete jackarse to somebody that you don't know and were somehow surprised by his response? yeah *he* is the guy with the problem... wow, some people.... would you say this to an athletes face? of course not, why do you get real tough when using twitter? again, just, wow
Oh man, you would hate to see me at a hockey game. I spent 3 solid minutes during warm up during a Colorado/Edmonton game with my head down by the little camera hole telling Darcy Tucker that he was one of the worst hockey players to ever lace up skates.

Part of being a professional athlete is to realize you are going to take heat from A LOT of people. Guys like Whitney soak up the praise, but start talking back when they get heat, when they should just smile and shake their heads.

Njoy said it right, guys that can't even take heat from their hometown fans without retaliating just show that he has no loyalty to this city, and to be honest, the sooner he's gone the better.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
What was his comments last time?
Here's just a taste.

"We're not doing this for us, we're doing it for the younger guys. The guys who are the future of our game."

He was a typical union mouthpiece back in 04/05.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Dreger just tweeted that the CBA meetings are done. I'm sure that they accomplished a lot. lol

Old
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
#ualberta

@reporterchris: The NHL's CBA meeting is over for the night.

@reporterchris: The NHL's CBA talks will carry over to tomorrow.

Well that was a short meeting just under two hours by my count however they are meeting again tomorrow so that means theres more to talk about its around 9 pm in ny i guess that could be considered late

Old
11-19-2012, 08:07 PM
jsho

Quote:
so you were a complete jackarse to somebody that you don't know and were somehow surprised by his response? yeah *he* is the guy with the problem... wow, some people.... would you say this to an athletes face? of course not, why do you get real tough when using twitter? again, just, wow
The guy has 100,000 followers on twitter. Why is it even worth his time to respond to me? That's why I'm surprised. Heck, if he came back with a better response or called me something worse than an idiot I would be all for it. Its twitter, and half the **** people tweet are jokes.

Players get beaked all game long, but he responds to a nobody on twitter and I'm a terrible person....I don't know how I will live with myself now.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post

@ryanwhitney6 what's the rush? The sooner you get back to playing, the sooner you're just going to get injured again.

Can't understand why free agents wouldn't want to sign with us

Old
11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Yeah....because players agents are telling them they might get their feelings hurt on twitter.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
I'm sure they're reading Ryan's twitter feed. Quite frankly, if that makes Whitney not want to be here it isn't a big loss. Dude is pretty much done as an effective player.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:19 PM
TowMater14

Was anyone listening to John Shannon??? On Tencer? He basically said that if its not resolved by Thursday he feels the season is over and also thinks that there is a huge chance that it would go longer than one year. One way or another, **** or get off the pot, if its done.... End it. I am so tired of these Premadonnas!

Old
11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Oh because we have the worse fans in the league right? Are you seriously worried about hurting these poor souls feelings? What did he say that wasn't true? They have no respect for their fans, why should we respect them. And yes, I would say worse to their faces.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Shannon's been one of the few optimistic voices during this mess so that doesn't bode well.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Shannon's been one of the few optimistic voices during this mess so that doesn't bode well.
Well that sucks because he wasn't sounding very optimistic at all.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
TowMater14

So the PA requests a meeting and shows up with nothing. Can't see how anybody could be backing these losers.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
The guy has 100,000 followers on twitter. Why is it even worth his time to respond to me? That's why I'm surprised. Heck, if he came back with a better response or called me something worse than an idiot I would be all for it. Its twitter, and half the **** people tweet are jokes.

Players get beaked all game long, but he responds to a nobody on twitter and I'm a terrible person....I don't know how I will live with myself now.
Making fun of someone's injuries is pretty low.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Making fun of someone's injuries is pretty low.
I'm pretty sure what I said was he worse thing that has ever been said to a pro athlete on twitter.

Definitely not something like death threats, mocking dead family members, racist comments, wishing injuries or something of vulgarity.

Yup. I agree, pretty low. I'll put myself in a time-out.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Well that sucks because he wasn't sounding very optimistic at all.
Does Shannon actually know any more about the lockout than you or I?

I feel like most analysts are talking out of their [butts] at this point.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

i guess i just expect people to be decent to one another, whether it's online or in person... i'm weird that way

Old
11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Oh man, you would hate to see me at a hockey game. I spent 3 solid minutes during warm up during a Colorado/Edmonton game with my head down by the little camera hole telling Darcy Tucker that he was one of the worst hockey players to ever lace up skates.

Part of being a professional athlete is to realize you are going to take heat from A LOT of people. Guys like Whitney soak up the praise, but start talking back when they get heat, when they should just smile and shake their heads.

Njoy said it right, guys that can't even take heat from their hometown fans without retaliating just show that he has no loyalty to this city, and to be honest, the sooner he's gone the better.
i kind of understand chirping players at games... its part of the atmosphere and i think a lot of the players think its more funny than anything else... its another thing to make light of somebody's injury out of the blue on twitter, especially when you claim to be a fan of the team... i don't chirp players at games, but i at least understand it somewhat... the twitter thing is just a chicken-***** move though

Old
11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
i guess i just expect people to be decent to one another, whether it's online or in person... i'm weird that way
No you're not you chirper. Two minutes..

Old
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I'm pretty sure what I said was he worse thing that has ever been said to a pro athlete on twitter.

Definitely not something like death threats, mocking dead family members, racist comments, wishing injuries or something of vulgarity.

You didn't say anything that was way out of line but it was pretty immature and unnecessary. Did you tweet that to Whitney to get a rise out of him? What was the point?

I don't know, i guess i grew up learning to respect people. This stupid twitter crap just brings out the worst of people IMO.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

Youre a good guy and a good poster here. Not judging you, just sayin it wasnt really cool imo.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:36 PM
HotToddy

Decertification is finally being abandied about as a nuclear option for the players.

I always wondered if this card was on the table for the NHLP

Old
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Decertification is finally being abandied about as a nuclear option for the players.

I always wondered if this card was on the table for the NHLP
Didn't work for the NFLPA or the NBPA. What makes the players think it will work for them?

Old
11-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Whitney gets it pretty bad from Anaheim fans and Pittsburgh fans, but Oilers fans are usually pretty good to him.

Closed Thread