HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 6th: John Gibbons is back, can Josh Towers be far behind?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Off-Season Madness the 6th: John Gibbons is back, can Josh Towers be far behind?

TSN.ca said they're showing it. I presume Sportsnet probably will have it on TV, and the Blue Jays site will stream it as well.

It's important to note that as far as anyone knows, none of the 5 newest Blue Jays will be at the conference tomorrow. It will just be Alex Anthopoulos (and I would suspect Beeston maybe too) talking about the acquisition of Johnson/Reyes/Buehrle/Buck/Bonifacio and the signing of Cabrera, both of which were made official today/tonight.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

bucks last 3 yrs:
TOR .280 20 61 437ab
MIA .227 16 57 530ab
MIA .192 12 41 398ab

not bad
he wouldnt like being a backup

Old
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 50
About time Nem

I thought this was interesting; http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-being-shopped

Quote:
I'm not speculating on superstar players the Jays could be interested in, but the Royals are said to be shopping Eric Hosmer, Billy Butler, Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakas, as well as super-prospect Wil Myers (a rumor provided in same article I referenced at the top).
Bleacher report, but still.

Old
weems

To the person asking how much these moves have improved us?

Before the trades and Melky signing, The Jays were prolly around 100/1 to win the WS and now there 9/1.

Basically went from a average middle of the pack pretender to now prolly one of the 5 favorites.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

from the end of the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Also, cot's is showing the marlins cash payment as 8.5M. Anyone have any clue where that number came from?

Sources can't seem to decide whether the Jays are getting $4m from Miami or $8m. This is actually the first time I've seen a hard # of $8.5m (There have been a couple of somewhat vague "$8m or more" speculations).

Old
11-19-2012, 08:49 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

I was a little late to the anchor show, Ill put my attraction
I really like sara orlesky
though natasha is all right too

now back on topic
I wouldn't want ozzie anywhere near the team, he has passion, but he needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes, I would like chad tracy, that is my pick

Old
11-19-2012, 08:49 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
bucks last 3 yrs:
TOR .280 20 61 437ab
MIA .227 16 57 530ab
MIA .192 12 41 398ab

not bad
he wouldnt like being a backup
Doesn't have much of a choice at this point though.

Buck has probably realized at this point his days as a true starting catcher are over. He's nearly 33... which is a lot of years behind the plate. Even if the Jays trade him, I can't imagine him starting in many places, unless he's a placeholder for a young prospect like he would be here.

Buck should embrace his role like so many other catchers have as they make the transition to backup. By all accounts Buck is a good team guy, I don't expect him to cause problems.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
I was a little late to the anchor show, Ill put my attraction
I really like sara orlesky
though natasha is all right too

now back on topic
I wouldn't want ozzie anywhere near the team, he has passion, but he needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes, I would like chad tracy, that is my pick
Presuming you mean Jim Tracy. Chad Tracy is still playing (at least he was in 2012)

Old
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
weems

Mike Hargrove for me

Old
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
To the person asking how much these moves have improved us?

Before the trades and Melky signing, The Jays were prolly around 100/1 to win the WS and now there 9/1.

Basically went from a average middle of the pack pretender to now prolly one of the 5 favorites.
ya I think one site had us 3rd behind the Reds and Nats outta all teams. Both have killer pitching. On paper we gotta be the favourites to win the AL East. Just gotta hope they can put up the results which isn't always certain. I think we have the most balanced team in all of baseball IMO.

edit: Out of the teams with elite rotations (Giants, Reds, Nats, Rays etc) Our offensive is superior

Old
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Presuming you mean Jim Tracy. Chad Tracy is still playing (at least he was in 2012)

sorry about that, jim tracy
my bad

Old
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
#Chychrun2016

AA must have told JP something, he hinted it on twitter, and he's been pretty cocky about the rumors. I don't think he'll get traded.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
About time Nem

I thought this was interesting; http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-being-shopped

Bleacher report, but still.
Read it on MLBTR the other day. Sure they're listening, but it's going to cost a premium. The window for Gordon has closed on us now. If it was two years ago when AA was inquiring that would have been a solid acquisition, now though he's a top of the line LF that will command some big pieces.

No way they deal their corner infielders or Myers.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM
weems

Quote:
AA must have told JP something, he hinted it on twitter, and he's been pretty cocky about the rumors. I don't think he'll get traded.
If they trade d'Arnaud they better be getting back a young stud 2B or a top rated pitching prospect like Wheeler or Taillon.

Old
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Came here to post this.

He's been denying/joking about it pretty hard. I'm assuming AA talked to him but meh. Burke talked to Schenn too.

Old
p.l.f.
mvp

buck has so little market value
throw in rasmus or something and make a package offer
ie to texas
lets see what they have to offer....

Old
topched

Quote:
I'm with you on this. Trading JP at this point and hanging his hat on a marginal starter in Buck and a rookie (even if he's touted as the second coming) doesn't seem like AA's style at all.

It would be so contradictory to what he has done so far. I think AA will do what he can to make this a JP/TDA tandem for the foreseeable future. Get TDA at bats at DH and possibly 1b as well once he gets called up. There are plenty of ab's to go around.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
from the end of the last thread:

Sources can't seem to decide whether the Jays are getting $4m from Miami or $8m. This is actually the first time I've seen a hard # of $8.5m (There have been a couple of somewhat vague "$8m or more" speculations).
just found this from cbs/the AP: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/2...onto-finalized

Quote:
they pared from their books $146.5 million in payroll. That's their net savings after agreeing to send $8.5 million to the Blue Jays as part of the trade.
with google news, that is the only reference i can find on the entire interwebs of blue jays and 8.5 million.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Came here to post this.

He's been denying/joking about it pretty hard. I'm assuming AA talked to him but meh. Burke talked to Schenn too.
The way AA operates and the way BB operates probably couldn't be any further apart in terms of philosophy regarding handling of players, media etc.

One is boisterous and in your face, feels comfortable throwing his opinions no matter how bold they are... the other is as tight lipped as your can get.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
topched

Quote:
ie to texas
Not sure if you even need to get value from Buck.

Move him to a team desperate for a vet catcher. You could even eat a couple million of his contract.

There are plenty of guys on the free agent market that you could go get on a 1 or 2 year deal at no more than 5 mill per who could serve as the swingman

Old
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The way AA operates and the way BB operates probably couldn't be any further apart in terms of philosophy regarding handling of players, media etc.

One is boisterous and in your face, feels comfortable throwing his opinions no matter how bold they are... the other is as tight lipped as your can get.
I agree but that doesn't change the fact that if a GM sees a chance to make the team better, he's going to do it whether or not he told the player he wasn't moving him or not. Somebody could blow AA away with an offer for JPA tomorrow and any conversations AA had with him mean absolutely nothing.

By no means should be be shopping JPA though, imo.

Old
Scion

vCash: 241
Shi Davidi@ShiDavidi
Blue Jays announce signing of Melky Cabrera.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:04 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
ie to texas
Think d'Arnaud + Rasmus + pitching prospect could get us Profar?

Put Bonifacio in CF, start Profar at 2B and move him to short and Reyes to 2nd in a year or two.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:04 PM
#Chychrun2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Read it on MLBTR the other day. Sure they're listening, but it's going to cost a premium. The window for Gordon has closed on us now. If it was two years ago when AA was inquiring that would have been a solid acquisition, now though he's a top of the line LF that will command some big pieces.

No way they deal their corner infielders or Myers.
I'm more interested in Eric Hosmer at this point, 23 year old first baseman with very high potential, it says they want pitching help though. Maybe something with Buehrle if he really does want out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
If they trade d'Arnaud they better be getting back a young stud 2B or a top rated pitching prospect like Wheeler or Taillon.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Came here to post this.

AA and BB are two totally different GMs, Burke is more media-friendly, AA keeps things quiet and just surprises everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'm with you on this. Trading JP at this point and hanging his hat on a marginal starter in Buck and a rookie (even if he's touted as the second coming) doesn't seem like AA's style at all.

It would be so contradictory to what he has done so far. I think AA will do what he can to make this a JP/TDA tandem for the foreseeable future. Get TDA at bats at DH and possibly 1b as well once he gets called up. There are plenty of ab's to go around.
I agree, we need to trade Buck for anyone with value. We can't afford to deal either Arencibia or D'Arnaud, it would seriously set us back. Assuming Lind and Buck get traded, I'd go with EE at 1B, JPA starting at C, TDA playing DH while being able to play C or 1B every now and again, and Wilson as our backup catcher, he's great defensively imo.

We just need to figure out whom we can package Lind and Buck for, it would also help us reach the 40-man limit.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Scion

vCash: 241
Quote:
The Blue Jays have officially announced the signing of Melky Cabrera to a two-year, $16MM contract. Cabrera is represented by the ACES agency.

Cabrera served a season-ending 50 game suspension under the Joint Drug Program this past season. The 28-year-old was suspended for having elevated levels of testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance.

“My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said at the time. "I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down.”

Before his suspension, Cabrera was enjoying the best season of his career. He posted a .346/.390/.516 batting line with 11 home runs, 25 doubles and 10 triples in 501 plate appearances with the Giants. Cabrera played both corner outfield positions in 2012, generating approximately 4.6 wins above replacement according to the versions of the metric available at FanGraphs and Baseball-Reference.

Toronto's agreement with Cabrera pushes Anthony Gose, Moises Sierra and Rajai Davis down on the team's depth chart. The deal would be the most lucrative free agent contract since Alex Anthopoulos became the club's GM, surpassing the recent three-year, $10MM agreement with Maicer Izturis. Of course, the Blue Jays added significant payroll with a blockbuster trade earlier in the week, adding Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle.

Cabrera ranked 18th on MLBTR's list of the offseason's top free agents. His deal resembles the contracts signed by free agent outfielders Jason Kubel ($15MM for two years) and Coco Crisp ($14MM for two years) last offseason.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...5tLP6Rk7Pug.99

Closed Thread