HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLLYWD99 View Post
Don't put your hand on the puck in the blue paint, the ref made the call with conviction because he had a perfect view of it.
From what I hear Vail told coach Boughner he pushed it out not covered it which explains why Boughner was not pleased
Terrible way to lose a game and I would say the same if it went the other way

Old
11-18-2012, 04:50 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
From what I hear Vail told coach Boughner he pushed it out not covered it which explains why Boughner was not pleased
Terrible way to lose a game and I would say the same if it went the other way
While it's a terrible way to lose a game, don't put your glove near the puck in the crease. It just gives them a chance to call something, regardless of whether it's right or not.

Quote:
Pavelka is a big reason they are doing as well as they have? They are 3rd in the division and 7th in the conference. So if the Spits played DeKort more they would be 8th in the conference? Maybe 9th? We really are splitting hairs between 7th place or 8th place. Game on Wednesday against Plymouth the Spits have lost 7 of their last 8 in Compuware they need to start getting some results.
They've had timely goaltending from Pavelka, who has kept them in many games. If it wasn't for him, they'd be struggling even worse.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:09 PM
hockeylegend11

While I feel the Spits deserved 5 pts this past weekend of 3 games,instead of 3 ,they no doubt showed they could play with the best,coming up short ,there still some players whose play needs to improve if this team is to move up in the tight Western conference
Despite scoring 11 goals and allowing only 8 in those 3 games,players such as Maletta,Johnson,E.Clark,M.Clarke,
Bateman,Mcnaughton and Devlin must produce more
Goaltending is not an issue,I have confidence in both tenders and would like to see DeKort get more work,defensively they were fine only allowing 4 five on five goals in the 3 games and 3 were in 1 game
It is the offence from the guys mentioned above that either has dried up or hasnt got going,and the time is getting critical
Thankfully the great home record of 6-1-0-3 since opening has kept this team above water,hopefully after this weekends decent road games without success is a harbinger of things to come
Just need the results,time will tell

Old
11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
hockeylegend11

One player I would like to see Windsor pickup,and while this might be coming out of left field is O/A Cen- Charles Inglis-20 who was sent home by Red Deer of the Dub,my thinking if he passes thru waivers which he might having just played on his 3rd team
For the last 3 years his numbers were as an average of 23 goals,23 assists,98 pim per season,this season in 21 games for a struggling Red Deer club 11 goals,3 assists,36 Pims
He has fought 20 times through out his WHL career,is a guy who can skate,hit,score,fight,and while he has had issues with one or more of the teams he has played for,and though I have only seen him on tape,I would be definitely interested in getting this guy,if he wishes to change leagues
He would be an upgrade for Emerson Clark,with I think the ability on all 3 lines
Windsor fans would love this guy
Know its a longshot,worth looking into,low risk,high reward in my view
While I appreciate Clarks toughness I expected more offence from him
If Windsor can make a change do it
I say

Old
11-18-2012, 08:23 PM
punch1943

Quote:
One player I would like to see Windsor pickup,and while this might be coming out of left field is O/A Cen- Charles Inglis-20 who was sent home by Red Deer of the Dub,my thinking if he passes thru waivers which he might having just played on his 3rd team
For the last 3 years his numbers were as an average of 23 goals,23 assists,98 pim per season,this season in 21 games for a struggling Red Deer club 11 goals,3 assists,36 Pims
He has fought 20 times through out his WHL career,is a guy who can skate,hit,score,fight,and while he has had issues with one or more of the teams he has played for,and though I have only seen him on tape,I would be definitely interested in getting this guy,if he wishes to change leagues
He would be an upgrade for Emerson Clark,with I think the ability on all 3 lines
Windsor fans would love this guy
Know its a longshot,worth looking into,low risk,high reward in my view
While I appreciate Clarks toughness I expected more offence from him
If Windsor can make a change do it
I say
So I says to myself who is this guy he's talking about... looked him up and on paper
looks to be the kind of guy who could help out. Sounds like a high energy guy with some offense to boot. At 5'11" a bit bigger than Clark and close to the same weight.
Agree that Clark is a tough nut but certainly doesn't add anything else...

Old
11-18-2012, 09:27 PM
hockeylegend11

As I see 1st rders Adam Bateman and Jordan Maletta struggle,i looked up to see what could have been had the Spits drafted differently as it relates to taking Hunter Smith at #37 in the 2nd rd and trading for Bateman who was picked 19th o/a in the 1st rd
For example instead of trading for Bateman they could have drafted Bigras who was picked at 39 by Owen Sd in the 2nd,in fact they could drafted in the 1st at 13 and then at 37 taken,Joseph Blandisi at 37 instead of Smith,and in the 5th at 84 could have drafted Justin Bailey of Kitch who was drafted at 126th,instead of Sam Studnicka
It should be noted that other teams missed the boat,including London who took Jammes at 29,instead of Bigras or Blandisi
In 2010 Spits at 20th in the 1st took G.Webermin,but the prizes they missed on were Tom Wilson who was chosen 26th by Ply in the 2nd,and /or Def Adam Pelech who was chosen 1 pick later at 21 by Erie
It again should be noted that other teams such as London who chose Chris Tierney at 19th in the 1st and Kitch who Matia Marcantuoni at 18th in the 1st
Just think if the Spits had drafted differently how things might have looked
Bigras,Blandisi and Wilson or Pelech would certainly look better then Bateman,the departed H.Smith and Grant Webermin,plus choosing Justin Bailey instead of Studnicka
I am sure London and Kitchener may feel the same,think how much better those teams would be
Goes to show how drafting is a not a perfect science

Old
11-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Ryazer24
Rookie User

Pardon my ignorance, but is Pavelka really that good of a goalie to keep them in games? Or is he decent enough to get the Spits by in games? I live in new jersey and am unable to hear/watch the games, i only get to see the stats when they're posted online & from what they tell me is that he's the middle of the line goaltender.

P.S. I also believe McNaughton is a bust.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
OHLTG

Legend - Ryan Ellis a 2nd rounder. That says a ton.

Ryazer - Pavelka is a very solid goaltender, better than his stats suggest. He's not a stylish goaltender, very Hasek-like, and is prone to letting a soft goal in on occasion. However, he has certainly kept Windsor in many games and given them a chance to win. He's stolen a few games, too. His current stats include the home opener, when nobody showed up, plus a game in London where the entire team fell apart, and one other game the defence stayed in the dressing room. I don't count those three games because he didn't have any help in front of him at all. You can't blame him. I'd take him over many other goaltenders in the league right now and certainly in a 7-game series. He has the make-up of a potential all-star.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:15 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

Ryazer - Pavelka is a very solid goaltender, better than his stats suggest. He's not a stylish goaltender, very Hasek-like, and is prone to letting a soft goal in on occasion. However, he has certainly kept Windsor in many games and given them a chance to win. He's stolen a few games, too. His current stats include the home opener, when nobody showed up, plus a game in London where the entire team fell apart, and one other game the defence stayed in the dressing room. I don't count those three games because he didn't have any help in front of him at all. You can't blame him. I'd take him over many other goaltenders in the league right now and certainly in a 7-game series. He has the make-up of a potential all-star.
I am of the opinion currently this team is in a similar position to last year, players are a year older but results are almost the same. Last year they had a 19 year old goalie in Campbell who was moved because management didn't think they could win and they wanted picks. This year they aren't winning enough with another 19 year old goalie. Pavelka has been fine but the rebuild has to have your goalie of the future and the means DeKort has to play more. Pavelka won't be back next year with 2 1st round import picks. At this rate with the Spits there's a great chance you get London, Owen Sound, Kitchener or Plymouth in round 1 not exactly 1st round matchups any fan should be looking forward to.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:27 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
As I see 1st rders Adam Bateman and Jordan Maletta struggle,i looked up to see what could have been had the Spits drafted differently as it relates to taking Hunter Smith at #37 in the 2nd rd and trading for Bateman who was picked 19th o/a in the 1st rd
For example instead of trading for Bateman they could have drafted Bigras who was picked at 39 by Owen Sd in the 2nd,in fact they could drafted in the 1st at 13 and then at 37 taken,Joseph Blandisi at 37 instead of Smith,and in the 5th at 84 could have drafted Justin Bailey of Kitch who was drafted at 126th,instead of Sam Studnicka
It should be noted that other teams missed the boat,including London who took Jammes at 29,instead of Bigras or Blandisi
In 2010 Spits at 20th in the 1st took G.Webermin,but the prizes they missed on were Tom Wilson who was chosen 26th by Ply in the 2nd,and /or Def Adam Pelech who was chosen 1 pick later at 21 by Erie
It again should be noted that other teams such as London who chose Chris Tierney at 19th in the 1st and Kitch who Matia Marcantuoni at 18th in the 1st
Just think if the Spits had drafted differently how things might have looked
Bigras,Blandisi and Wilson or Pelech would certainly look better then Bateman,the departed H.Smith and Grant Webermin,plus choosing Justin Bailey instead of Studnicka
I am sure London and Kitchener may feel the same,think how much better those teams would be
Goes to show how drafting is a not a perfect science
I still don't think Tierney was a bad pick, he had a very good playoff for London last year, was a 2nd round NHL pick. He's probably a victim of circumstance with being the #3 center because they drafted Broadhurst and he's come in and made instant impact. Tierney in another place would be a 15g 40a guy. Tierney made terrific strides from year 1 to year 2.

Bigras and Wilson are the big whiffs. Bigras because the Spits D is a dumpster fire and with Wilson because they lack a physical force up front that can score goals. Blandisi was drafted over in a case like that you probably give credit to Owen Sound. Over the past 3-4 years Owen Sound has probably been the best drafting team in the league.

In 2011 Legend how different would this team be in they took Spencer Martin round 1, with their 1st pick in the 2nd round Jason Dickinson then either Bigras or Murphy with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I am of the opinion currently this team is in a similar position to last year, players are a year older but results are almost the same. Last year they had a 19 year old goalie in Campbell who was moved because management didn't think they could win and they wanted picks. This year they aren't winning enough with another 19 year old goalie. Pavelka has been fine but the rebuild has to have your goalie of the future and the means DeKort has to play more. Pavelka won't be back next year with 2 1st round import picks. At this rate with the Spits there's a great chance you get London, Owen Sound, Kitchener or Plymouth in round 1 not exactly 1st round matchups any fan should be looking forward to.
If they're in 7th or 8th spots by the deadline, I'm not against dealing him for player(s) and pick(s), but until then, no. He could easily win us a few games and get us to where we need to be. Right now, he's as valuable to us as anyone on the roster.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I still don't think Tierney was a bad pick, he had a very good playoff for London last year, was a 2nd round NHL pick. He's probably a victim of circumstance with being the #3 center because they drafted Broadhurst and he's come in and made instant impact. Tierney in another place would be a 15g 40a guy. Tierney made terrific strides from year 1 to year 2.

Bigras and Wilson are the big whiffs. Bigras because the Spits D is a dumpster fire and with Wilson because they lack a physical force up front that can score goals. Blandisi was drafted over in a case like that you probably give credit to Owen Sound. Over the past 3-4 years Owen Sound has probably been the best drafting team in the league.

In 2011 Legend how different would this team be in they took Spencer Martin round 1, with their 1st pick in the 2nd round Jason Dickinson then either Bigras or Murphy with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round?
I see what u mean about missed opportunities,imagine London with Wilson,or Pelech,Bigras,Blandisi,Dickenson and Justin Bailey,I sort of glad Windsor not the only team to project wrong
I imagine that London definitely would take Pelech or Wilson over Tierney had the the opp to do it over again

Old
11-19-2012, 11:35 AM
mini2z

If you have a smartphone, you can get the "Tune In Radio" app - AM800 is what you're looking for the games to hear at least

Old
11-19-2012, 12:43 PM
hockeylegend11

Now that we are at the 1/3 pole of the year sched wise here are some interesting stats and probably not so interesting observations
Spits record for the season against two division leaders in the west and the 2 highest pt teams in the East which are Barrie and Missy is a combined 0-5-0-1,3 losses to Owen Sd,1 to Barrie and Plymouth,and a shootout loss at Missy
It should be noted that 4 of those losses and the shootout loss occurred on the road,while the other loss was suffered at home in the 1st game of the season vs Owen Sd
No secret here Spits have been awful on the road,this weekend past not withstanding,most feel spits deserved no less the 3 of 4 pts against the 2 best teams in the O"
The Spits have lost only 1 other time at a home,against Guelph,
The Spits record against the rest of league is an impressive 9-4-1-3,and 10 of those games were at home,going 6-1-0-3
Something I have never seen before is a Windsor team or any team for that matter had 2 losses that were decided by a penalty shot game winning goal,the game in Sarnia ,the winner was penalty shot goal by Galchenyuk,and yesterday against Owen Sd on the goal by Brace on the Penalty shot
While the 1st 3rd sure has had its ups and downs,one thing for the relative closeness of the conference,not alot of separation between 4 or 5 teams,going forward its obvious a better road record is required to go higher in the standings,at home little problems exist
As for the team,goaltending has not been an issue both goalies have been very good,I would like to see DeKort play more,he has earned it,just unlucky getting a win as he is 0-3-0-2,Pavelka has been really good in most games and his record stands at 9-6-1-2
Defensively while alot goals allowed more so on the road and the result of too many blowouts,not bad particularly at home,Ebert,Seiloff and Posa are having good years,Sanvido has suprised as a rookie,afterall he was ticketed for Chatham Jr B prior to the start of season,Devlin started the year slowly,has gotten better,needs to keep it up,McNaughton started ok but has declined as his worth is more offence oriented, and he has not provided it with only 3 assists to show,while Bateman has struggled since camp, and is not improving,looks like a lack of confidence has set in,does not look like the player I saw at times last yr,John Bowen probably no more then a 7th D on this team,but I like his toughness,he works hard to improve,at times shows improvement,I like him in that role as it stands
Upfront not enough scoring to suit me,Rychel,Vail,HoSang and Marchese,need more help from the the likes of Clarke,Schoenmakers,and the three most underachieving forwards,Johnson,Maletta,and E.Clark,who have scored a combined total of 8 goals amongst them,not nearly enough
I am not going to point fingers at the 4th line Verbeek is a kid with alot of potential,Bilcke gives toughness and hitting,while Studnicka continues to improve and has proven to be quite useful
Bottom line for me is that if they cant the same amount of effort as was this past weekend of 3 games they will be fine
Consistency,more scoring from the bottom half of the lineup,improved play from 2-3 defencemen,continued fine play by the goalies,and see where the chips fall
Looking ahead I see a couple deals ahead,if Koko returns post Xmas break things could get interesting

Old
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend right now the only concern I have is with how things are bunched up. Windsor is only a few points behind Plymouth but have 7 meetings left with them. If Windsor goes on to lose 5 of the remaining 7 there's no way Windsor catches Plymouth. The Soo has been bad recently but have stayed within striking distance and that's been without Ryan Sproul playing the past month. If he comes back the Hounds may have a slight edge on Windsor overall. The longer the lockout drags out the better it is for Sarnia with Galchenyuk and Murphy. I still don't see why Windsor should continue to hang on to the idea they can contend and getting Khokhlachev back. Know when to hold em, know when to fold em. It's time to fold em.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend right now the only concern I have is with how things are bunched up. Windsor is only a few points behind Plymouth but have 7 meetings left with them. If Windsor goes on to lose 5 of the remaining 7 there's no way Windsor catches Plymouth. The Soo has been bad recently but have stayed within striking distance and that's been without Ryan Sproul playing the past month. If he comes back the Hounds may have a slight edge on Windsor overall. The longer the lockout drags out the better it is for Sarnia with Galchenyuk and Murphy. I still don't see why Windsor should continue to hang on to the idea they can contend and getting Khokhlachev back. Know when to hold em, know when to fold em. It's time to fold em.
While I understand some of what u are saying,I would not fold,their play this past weekend showed they can play with anybody in the league,most agree 3 pts minimum were deserving,4 possible except for the bad call on the penalty shot,great games against the 3rd and 7th ranked teams in the CHL
As I have spoken before the parity re most of the teams in the conference means the potential for what could be considered upsets is very possible
While I am not suggesting Koko is returning I dont know that,if he were to return it could tip the balance,or at the very least improve things alot
Kitchener and Plymouth dont worry me in a matchup,London and Owen Sd probably the 2 best in the conference if not the league,though u have to admit Windsor"s play against both those improved alot since absorbing bad losses
Now had Windsor played poorly or were outclassed I could be swayed to your opinion,but their play this weekend gives me hope
Yes improvement is still needed,especially on the road,but signs are evident of this happening
Still a few players need to contribute if not get them out of here
If this were an old team I would definitely blow it up,but with 18 players plus Pavelka,plus 2 Euros,plus 2 O/As,as well as others in system,I dont see the need to start over,trades yes ,total makeover no

Old
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
aresknights

I'm not sure I'd like windsors chances against against London, Ktown, OS, Plymouth or sarnia right now. All those teams IMO have a good adv. esp in a PO match up.
It's good to be hopeful I guess but the know when to hold em...... Quote seems right to me.
You can hang with better teams more often in the reg season than u can in the PO For a # of reasons. PO are a different animal.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I'm not sure I'd like windsors chances against against London, Ktown, OS, Plymouth or sarnia right now. All those teams IMO have a good adv. esp in a PO match up.
It's good to be hopeful I guess but the know when to hold em...... Quote seems right to me.
You can hang with better teams more often in the reg season than u can in the PO For a # of reasons. PO are a different animal.
Like I said if this were an older club I would agree fold em,but a younger no,tweak and deal yes,if a surprise or two comes in ride it
While London and Owen Sd would be a challenge,Sarnia,Kitchener and Plymouth are vulnerable if the NHL goes back,as Galchenyuk,Murphy,and Rackell,perhaps Ryan Murphy could make their respective teams
Kitchener like Windsor an excellent home team but they struggle on the road,Sarnia has lost 3 straight including a 9-2 thrashing by the Sault without Galchenyuk in the lineup,Plymouth`s goaltending is such a question mark they played their 3rd goalie a 16 year old against Belleville,their defence again this year scares nobody,JT Miller is not coming back or so it appears,Noesen is out another week with an ankle sprain
I am not saying any one of those 3 is a cakewalk,however the separation of talent is not that vast

Old
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

I understand what you're saying. I guess it depends on the perspective you're looking at. If you are under the impression they want to contend next year you need to look at where they need to improve. I know I come off as negative most of the time but I don't think it's far fetched to say that the biggest area of improvement from this point in time to next year has to be on defense and looking at the current D on the roster you could say it needs to be overhauled.

Current D
Posa-not eligible next year
Bowen-hasn't shown anything to be considered a top 6 on contending team
McNaughton-regressing over the past month, read comment above on Bowen
Bateman-He hasn't really developed, most think he should be moved out
Devlin-Another guy that really hasn't developed, he may stick around but could be moved
Ebert-Been much maligned for the past year, he hasn't been as good as his first year but has looked better compared to this point last year
Sanvido-Has been one of their more consistent D looks to have a good future
Sieloff-Best of this group and will only get better just have to hope he's not in the AHL next year

So breaking it down you have one guy that won't be back for sure, two that have shown they aren't capable of being top 6, 2 others that could be moved or certainly 1, then you have 3 guys to work with and hope Sieloff doesn't play AHL.

In conclusion you probably need to bring in 3 real solid D to get to a championship level. If the organization thinks Brown can be part of that group he needs to be called up now and worked in so he can develop. Obviously you would like to get Butcher in the fold but no guarantee there, so where are these 2 other D going to come from or 3 D come from? Obviously you would hope to find a real good one in the import draft but looking at filling out your D you will need to trade assets away to get a real good D, no picks in 2013 to speak of so you will have to deal 2014 and 2015 picks.

I find it ironic that people want Rychel to be patient and he's preaching patience right now but trying to go after it next year and be a contender probably isn't in the cards looking at this roster. Maybe he should be more patient and start rebuilding the right way and not try and do it on the run which he seems to either want to do or will do.

Note this was only addressing the biggest weakness. We haven't discussed how this team needs to get stronger up the middle, get a group of OA's for next year as well which will take more assets being moved. Like I said if you are preaching patience this year follow through with it next year and move players out and rebuild the right way.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

I agree defence will need addition,I do think Brown will be on club next yr,Bowen would be a 7 or 8 guy next yr too,Butcher definitely would help,an O/a would probably land here,possibly an Euro,much like London has done with zadorov and Maata,I do think Seiloff,Ebert,Sanvido and Devlin will be back,u are correct about Bateman and McNaughton dont see them finishing the year here let alone being here next season
Up the middle the signing of Schmaltz and possibly a Euro,or the signing of Evan Allen would certainly solve any deficencies at that position,perhaps trade for Quine as well

Old
11-19-2012, 08:55 PM
hockeylegend11

A few posts back I wrote about a player named Charles Inglis who plays in the Dub,was sent home by Red Deer,might have been a nice replacement for O/A Emerson Clark,he now has been traded to Kamloops,so I guess my little pipe dream,remains a dream instead of reality
Having said that still think the Spits need to upgrade that 3rd O/A spot,as Clark while I love his toughness,his production has fallen far short of what I hoped for,and for a 3rd liner and an overager,production and leadership is required

Old
11-19-2012, 09:29 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
A few posts back I wrote about a player named Charles Inglis who plays in the Dub,was sent home by Red Deer,might have been a nice replacement for O/A Emerson Clark,he now has been traded to Kamloops,so I guess my little pipe dream,remains a dream instead of reality
Having said that still think the Spits need to upgrade that 3rd O/A spot,as Clark while I love his toughness,his production has fallen far short of what I hoped for,and for a 3rd liner and an overager,production and leadership is required
Who's available, though?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
jughead42

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. I guess it depends on the perspective you're looking at. If you are under the impression they want to contend next year you need to look at where they need to improve. I know I come off as negative most of the time but I don't think it's far fetched to say that the biggest area of improvement from this point in time to next year has to be on defense and looking at the current D on the roster you could say it needs to be overhauled.

Current D
Posa-not eligible next year
Bowen-hasn't shown anything to be considered a top 6 on contending team
McNaughton-regressing over the past month, read comment above on Bowen
Bateman-He hasn't really developed, most think he should be moved out
Devlin-Another guy that really hasn't developed, he may stick around but could be moved
Ebert-Been much maligned for the past year, he hasn't been as good as his first year but has looked better compared to this point last year
Sanvido-Has been one of their more consistent D looks to have a good future
Sieloff-Best of this group and will only get better just have to hope he's not in the AHL next year

So breaking it down you have one guy that won't be back for sure, two that have shown they aren't capable of being top 6, 2 others that could be moved or certainly 1, then you have 3 guys to work with and hope Sieloff doesn't play AHL.

In conclusion you probably need to bring in 3 real solid D to get to a championship level. If the organization thinks Brown can be part of that group he needs to be called up now and worked in so he can develop. Obviously you would like to get Butcher in the fold but no guarantee there, so where are these 2 other D going to come from or 3 D come from? Obviously you would hope to find a real good one in the import draft but looking at filling out your D you will need to trade assets away to get a real good D, no picks in 2013 to speak of so you will have to deal 2014 and 2015 picks.

I find it ironic that people want Rychel to be patient and he's preaching patience right now but trying to go after it next year and be a contender probably isn't in the cards looking at this roster. Maybe he should be more patient and start rebuilding the right way and not try and do it on the run which he seems to either want to do or will do.

Note this was only addressing the biggest weakness. We haven't discussed how this team needs to get stronger up the middle, get a group of OA's for next year as well which will take more assets being moved. Like I said if you are preaching patience this year follow through with it next year and move players out and rebuild the right way.
Yes, you do come off as negative all the time because you are. The unfortunate aspect of it from my perspective, is that you often times bury valid points under so much chicken little rhetoric. It's one thing to say our defense as it stands isn't good enough to be a contender, that I can certainly agree with. Where you go off the rails is when you suggest improvement will be too difficult for us to actually achieve. You'll spin Rychel's rare crummy deals, his squandering of assets, his poor drafting, and various other tinfoil hat conspiracies into a grand doomsday scenario that will see us bottom feeding for decades. That I simply don't agree with. However I'm not posting here to indict your shtick, it is what it is. I'd like to discuss your take on the defense, which I agree is the area we probably need to address. Some better personnel and performance from the guys we have already will certainly be needed.

We've got an absolute stud in Sieloff, that kid could easily be a defensive cornerstone on a championship team. While he doesn't bring the offensive flair you'd expect from a true number one defenseman he plays so physical and smart that it more than makes up for it. He's the best physical defender we've had since Jovanovski.

Sanvido has looked capable, there's no reason to believe he couldn't be one of the top six for a cup run based on his game so far. Watching Sieloff every night is going to make it a lot easier for him to figure the game he needs to be playing. That will help.

Ebert has been slagged plenty in the past but he's been a fairly solid contributor most nights this year. While he may never be that elite guy we thought we were getting at the time of the deal, he is still going to be a pretty solid player with another season under his belt.

Those are the three guys I'm most comfortable in saying should be part of our plans for the future. Brown is a question mark, he's not exactly ripping it up offensively with Lasalle it seems, but he's got a fair number of penalty minutes. 4 points (all assists) and 54 penalty minutes in 19 games. It's probably best to leave him in Lasalle, and evaluate him at next year's camp.

Bateman is probably trade bait, it's obviously not working for him and he probably needs a change of scenery to get his game going. While it sucks to accept losing what should have been a key piece of our future, it's entirely likely that we'll still get something half decent for him as a former 1st round pick and 17yo. We should be able to trade him straight up or package him for a reasonable replacement if he doesn't get it going.

Devlin is a guy who i've previously said doesn't belong on this team. He has improved as the season progressed however, picking up some points and making only a few boners per game instead of a dozen. That being said, the mistake prone nature of his game is always going to be there, I'd prefer we let him go and wear the goat horns for some other team.

That leaves McNaughton, he's good enough to be a depth guy for now but isn't likely to be much more than that in the future.

So we've got 3 guys we can count on, one question mark in Brown and another question mark in Bateman (or whatever we get in trade for him) For the future that isn't amazing but it isn't terrible either. Add Will Butcher to the mix, and it looks pretty good. Throw in a good import if we're lucky and it looks damn good. I know this would involve getting our Americans to report, and not botching the import draft, but the cup committee will be deciding on things before any of that goes down. It might be enough that these guys are our property to convince Branch and his cronies, and once the cup is awarded we can then use the hosting gig as our recruiting tool. If none of that can give us a contender quality defense then we'll have to pony up some future picks for an overage defenceman (the year of our cup run) who can run the powerplay. It will cost a bit, but it wouldn't be something we couldn't afford if we had to do it.

Last edited by jughead42: 11-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 11:17 PM
youngblood10

I'm not going to play gm here. More an in game thing that has became chronic and a simple thing that would make a world of difference. Although it's easier said then done is for them to just keep their feet moving. If they don't have the puck, or lose it, or the play is two, three feet away they just stop skating. It's driving me nuts watching this over and over. Then when the play does come they have no speed and have lost the race or positioning. It's very evident on the lazy line changes too. Sometimes I don't think they will even make it to the bench they are almost going backwards going so slow. It's nuts and probably why they take so many penalties with changing on the fly. Keep skating, good things will happen!!! Rant over.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:55 AM
hockeylegend11

Jughead
You make very good pts re the defence and how to get better going forward,in regards to Brown he is progressing nicely,I dont get caught up in pts,ie Sanvido only has 1 pt but other part of his game have come along nicely,with Brown the offence will come he is a great skater with a real shot,his does have a bit of a bite to his game,he is one of the 4 players registered with the league as signed 16 year olds they can use,and at some pt during the season hopefully he will get a little taste of time here
A couple of players like might interest me would D-man from Erie Pat Murphy a 95 born playing in Port Colbourne who should have made their squad,I would consider trading Bateman for him,and another would be 93 born D-man Kyler Nixon who was sent home for trade by Kingston,while not big at 5'10"-190 about the same as Bateman and Mcnaughton,I would offer up Mcnaughton as a trade for Nixon,last yr Nixon put up 7 goals and 21 assists showing some offensively ability,while not great defensively its his offence thats appealing,and he has O/A possibilities
Just thinking out loud to add to your post

Closed Thread