HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Which trade was worse, Kessel to TOR or Carter to CLB?

View Poll Results: Which trade was worse?
Phil Kessel to Toronto 183 57.19%
Jeff Carter to Columbus 125 39.06%
Both are equally bad and I can't choose just one 12 3.75%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
  #26
Khris Creider
Registered User
 
Khris Creider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Kessel

Khris Creider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
  #27
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
... that's what I said? The Kings would have 1 ball but that ball could be chosen at any time. It could be first, it could be last, it could anywhere in between.

And Edmonton would have 1 ball due to their 3 consecutive 1st overalls, if that's what your referring to.

The team with the best chance to be 1st overall is actually Columbus. They'll technically have 5 balls, 3 of their own, New York Ranger's ball and LA's ball.
Even though Columbus still owns their Rangers and Kings 1st round picks in 2013, the NHL doesn't increase the Blue Jackets chances. I would assume they still go by the recent Playoff records of the Rangers and Kings, because that's how they do things when a 1st round pick is traded. It will be interesting to see which way they set the odds assuming the 2012-2013 season is cancelled, because the during the 2005 Draft Lottery all 30 teams kept their 1st round picks.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
  #28
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Even though Columbus still owns their Rangers and Kings 1st round picks in 2013, the NHL doesn't increase the Blue Jackets chances. I would assume they still go by the recent Playoff records of the Rangers and Kings, because that's how they do things when a 1st round pick is traded. It will be interesting to see which way they set the odds assuming the 2012-2013 season is cancelled, because the during the 2005 Draft Lottery all 30 teams kept their 1st round picks.
How does it not increase their chances?

3 of their own balls
1 ball from LA
1 ball from NYR

That's 5 balls, which gives them a better probability than any other team.

For all we know, they take the first 3 picks in the draft. It may be extremely unlikely but there's a chance.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
  #29
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
In Kessel the Leafs at least got a point-per-game player.

In Carter the Blue Jackets got an unhappy player who was gone within 4 months.

So essentially the Jackets dropped Voracek and Couturier for Jack Johnson. That has to be worse.
Agreed. I think the Kessel trade gets a trashed way to often here. Just because of the pick that became Seguin. It was just a pick before and not even a guaranteed lottery pick when the trade was announced.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
  #30
Joseppi
Registered User
 
Joseppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kepler-22b
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,104
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
How does it not increase their chances?

3 of their own balls
1 ball from LA
1 ball from NYR

That's 5 balls, which gives them a better probability than any other team.

For all we know, they take the first 3 picks in the draft. It may be extremely unlikely but there's a chance.
I would be so happy for them if that happened, and would laugh for days

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:29 PM
  #31
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
In Kessel the Leafs at least got a point-per-game player.

In Carter the Blue Jackets got an unhappy player who was gone within 4 months.

So essentially the Jackets dropped Voracek and Couturier for Jack Johnson. That has to be worse.
This just about sums it up

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
  #32
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
This just about sums it up
And a 1st

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
  #33
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,309
vCash: 500
Carter to CBJ AINEC.

Seriously, Kessel in an All-Star. CBJ doesnt even have Carter anymore.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
  #34
Leafidelity
Way she goes...
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,240
vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Seguin > kessel
Nope. Good player, but lets talk again when Seguin is one of the 6 players in the NHL to go PPG.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:21 PM
  #35
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 12,601
vCash: 50
I'd already take Seguin over Kessel, so having someone like Dougie Hamilton as an 'extra'?


Haha, that Kessel trade was a joke!

I have to go with that one.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
  #36
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
You can't tell for years. But Carter never did jack for Columbus. He went MIA the second he was traded.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
  #37
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Toronto ,AINEC!





Kessel

for

Two franchise players


Yikes!
So Morgan Rielly is a franchise player! I can say that, right?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
  #38
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,274
vCash: 0
Carter AINEC.

The Kessel trade is overrated. No one could have predicted Toronto would sink that badly. Had they not and those picks were 10-20 range. It'd be a fair deal. Regardless, at least Kessel did something for Toronto. Meanwhile, Carter just pissed and moaned.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
  #39
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Carter AINEC.

The Kessel trade is overrated. No one could have predicted Toronto would sink that badly. Had they not and those picks were 10-20 range. It'd be a fair deal. Regardless, at least Kessel did something for Toronto. Meanwhile, Carter just pissed and moaned.
Who thought Kessel would become a PPG with Bozak? And Carter did squat for Columbus except whine.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
  #40
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,288
vCash: 500
Kessel for Seguin, Hamilton and Knight

Carter for 8th Overall (Couturier) and Voracek.

Carter for Jack Johnson and an undetermined 1st.

We don't even know what LA's first is going to be.

Toronto gave up 1 really good player and 2 unknowns. Columbus gave up a high pick, which turned into a good player and an alright player.

Columbus returned a good dman and an unknown pick/unknown player.

You can't really determine this. Too many unknowns.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
  #41
S2S
Come at me bros
 
S2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,150
vCash: 500
If the Leafs had won 2 more games and Boston picked Gudbranson, no one would be bashing that trade. Just saying.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
  #42
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
It's the Kessel trade.

Carter was dealt for less; knock off a first from each deal and we see that two mid/high 1sts>Voracek+3rd. Yeah, Carter flopped in Columbus. But he was flipped for Jack Johnson and another first.

So it's now:

Kessel=1st+1st+1st

Johnson+1st=Voracek+1st+3rd

Consider those four packages. To me, both at the time and now, Kessel is the LEAST appealing option. So you can probably guess where I stand.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
  #43
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,168
vCash: 500
The initial Carter trade was just awful. Already a pretty poor fit with Nash and he was generally useless; made worse by the fact Carter wound up getting injured a few times too and sulphur added when the 1st somehow turned out to be Couturier. Then they also got a a young ~50 points winger who has the potential for more. Salvaging Carter for Johnson + 1st was a good move given the circumstances (win-win for both teams btw). At least Kessel is a lock for 30+ without having a real center.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:08 PM
  #44
Kezia
Benny
 
Kezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,036
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Nope. Good player, but lets talk again when Seguin is one of the 6 players in the NHL to go PPG.
The only thing Kessel is better at than Seguin is shooting and skating. Seguin is better at every other aspect.

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:10 PM
  #45
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
If the Leafs had won 2 more games and Boston picked Gudbranson, no one would be bashing that trade. Just saying.
Yes. But they didn't win those two games.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
  #46
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
The only thing Kessel is better at than Seguin is shooting and skating. Seguin is better at every other aspect.
And passing.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:13 PM
  #47
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Seriously, Kessel in an All-Star. CBJ doesnt even have Carter anymore.
Those two facts right there make the Carter trade a lot worse, especially the fact he isn't a Blue Jacket anymore.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:20 PM
  #48
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,020
vCash: 256
Kessel to Toronto

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
  #49
Rolen
setoguchi sucks
 
Rolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
If you don't count the return CBJ got for Carter afterwards, the Carter trade is worse. Both trades were bad but Carter was ineffective in Columbus, Kessel is younger and has been the leafs best forward.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:08 PM
  #50
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
If you don't count the return CBJ got for Carter afterwards, the Carter trade is worse. Both trades were bad but Carter was ineffective in Columbus, Kessel is younger and has been the leafs best forward.
I don't count what Columbus got for Carter and I didn't want to include that when I wrote this topic. That's why when looking at both trades the Jeff Carter one was a lot worse based on how he played in his short time in with the Blue Jackets.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.