HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #4

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

vCash: 500
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured here was a good place.

I am looking into buying a wireless external hard drive for my Macbook, but I could use some guidance.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post

I am looking into buying a wireless external hard drive for my Macbook, but I could use some guidance.
Those are pretty expensive, with limited options. Personally, I would just go with a wired one, and it would be less susceptible to interference and faster.

Seagate has a 500 GB one for about $200 though. For that much though, you could get this,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236187
for about the same price, but get 2 TB of storage.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post

Have you considers an Apple Time Capsule?
http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Old
11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Bruins4Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Cool thanks for the info. Glad to hear my good old reliable Q9300 is still a workhorse. My friend with a Q9450 said he OCed his CPU to 3GHz so I might give it a shot. Might as well make use of that aftermarket cooler right. lol

I have another question, now that I'm getting an SSD, what would be the best/easiest way to get Windows on it? An important caveat is that my copy of Windows is an "Upgrade" Key. So I know I can only clean install if a copy of Windows is already installed on the computer.

How does it work if I want to install Windows on the SSD and have all my random crap on my HDD. I'm hoping I can just plug in the SSD and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the SSD, then clear out the stuff on my current C: partition then hopefully make my 640GB disk back into one partition.

Also, if you liked Metro: 2033, I think you'll like Metro: Last Light.
You can do a fresh windows install with just a Windows 7 Pro upgrade key. It just requires a slight workaround.

That's what I did when I got my SSD a little over a year ago. I copied everything I wanted to save over to an external drive and then re-formatted my main HDD and then put everything back on it.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
1ntrovert*

I am still looking for a case. Is there a certain brand is high quality and make durable stuff?

edit. I don't give a **** about flashing lights or how cool it looks I want it for performance..

Old
11-12-2012, 04:26 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
I am still looking for a case. Is there a certain brand is high quality and make durable stuff?

edit. I don't give a **** about flashing lights or how cool it looks I want it for performance..
Everyone is going to give you different opinions on cases...it's basically the most visible part of a user's PC.

I use a Cooler Master 690:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119137

They have an updated model of it (wider, easier to work with on the inside, redesigned power/restart buttons). You don't have to use a blue LED fan, but I like a bit of color.

Pluses: Built like a tank, good airflow, pretty much tool less to add components other than the mobo. Plenty of room for Crossfire, 5 HD's, soon to be 3 disc drives.

Minuses: Heavy

Old
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
You can do a fresh windows install with just a Windows 7 Pro upgrade key. It just requires a slight workaround.

That's what I did when I got my SSD a little over a year ago. I copied everything I wanted to save over to an external drive and then re-formatted my main HDD and then put everything back on it.
Is this the workaround?
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...all-workaround)

If so that's ridiculous.
[Edit] After reading through this, it looks like my setups won't even need a workaround.

The Windows DVD should recognize my current C: partition's Windows folder.

Last edited by Sined: 11-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
LickTheEnvelope
5th Overall Blows 2

Quote:

Antec is supposed to be very solid.

The case I got is an NZXT Phantom 410... I just liked the look.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Frankie Spankie

I have an Antec 900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

It's really solid except for that huge fan on top. I actually disconnected it because it made a clicking noise after about a month. I do love the hard drive bays though. You can take out the entire chassis for the hard drives, put in a couple, and slide it right back in.

On a side note -- Not sure if anybody here remembers about a problem I had with my secondary hard drive for my HTPC. It wouldn't always read and the only way to fix it was to shut it off and start it back up which wasn't a guaranteed fix. I just dealt with it at first because it would always read by the third start and would only happen mabe 2 out of 5 starts. Well it kept getting worse and worse to the point where I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I contacted Western Digital about a warranty and it had a long two year warranty on it. They not only sent me a new one, but they sent me back a much bigger one! I went from a 1TB that probably only powered on 15% of the time at that point to a 1.5TB that so far after 10 starts, has read every time! I had issues (that I did resolve) with a Western Digital hard drive in my gaming PC and after that issue with the new one in my HTPC, I was seriously going to look elsewhere on my next hard drive purchase. But with service like that and a quick turn around time on a replacement, I think I'll stick to Western Digital.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Lights
Midnight Machines

My HAF 932 is still running strong after 3 years: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

Pretty highly regarded everywhere. Only knock on it is it gets dusty, but I have a Metro Data Vac (electric compressed air) so that's not a problem...and I've seen other people complain about the style being too bland.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Bruins4Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Is this the workaround?
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/21142-upgrade-key-on-clean-install-(pre-and-post-install-workaround)

If so that's ridiculous.
[Edit] After reading through this, it looks like my setups won't even need a workaround.

The Windows DVD should recognize my current C: partition's Windows folder.
That could have been it. IIRC it was as simple as changing one registry key.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:

NZXT switch 810. It's big and durable!

Old
11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
SolidSnakeUS

If you don't want the NZXT 810, I can personally and highly recommend the CM Storm Trooper. Cheaper, big as hell and can hold everything. Comes with at least 4 fans and you can add 2 more to the left panel.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

How are Lenovo laptops? Build quality, durability, customer service, etc. Don't have any experience with them.

Just ordered one on a smokin deal. $463 for an i5-3210M, GT 630M, 17" 900p

Old
11-17-2012, 04:29 AM
The Imp
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I bought a 12-inch cheap model for my niece. I was impressed with the build quality - it looked and felt really nice. Hardware was pretty low-key, but for school work, it's just fine.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
How are Lenovo laptops? Build quality, durability, customer service, etc. Don't have any experience with them.

Just ordered one on a smokin deal. $463 for an i5-3210M, GT 630M, 17" 900p
Well, sort of late to ask since you already ordered one, but in general, Lenovo's are good, especially the Thinkpads that they inherited when they bought IBM's PC business.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I had to act fast. Didn't have time to research much. This was at the outlet store, and they were about to sell out. All the basic specs met my requirements, so I just went for it. Reading some company reviews, they seem to rank moderately high in customer satisfaction. Way higher than Dell or HP, which were two brands I was considering buying.

It's an Ideapad G780

Old
11-18-2012, 05:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well I'm probably going to get a new mouse. I mean, I can RMA the one I have right now (2 years warrant on my Roccat Kova+), but as it is right now, it's pissing me off. The glue on the sides that hold on the rubber inserts/surfaces on the sides is seeping out the edges of the rubber inserts, gets on my fingers and annoys the **** out of me while I'm playing game. Really looking at the CM Storm Recon.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:05 PM
G F O P
Registered Baller

You can get a good wireless at Wal Mart for 15 bucks

I did

Old
11-18-2012, 06:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

**** that. Getting a CM Storm Recon. $40.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
17futurecap

Was wondering if someone can help me pick out a new laptop? I should mention a few things, I know next to nothing about computers, and really am just looking for a computer that can surf the net, store my Itunes library, watch DVD's, and occasionally use Microsoft Office. Not any sort of a gamer. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my laptop of six years finally crapped the bed.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
SniperHF
Mod Supervisor
Crocodilialligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Was wondering if someone can help me pick out a new laptop? I should mention a few things, I know next to nothing about computers, and really am just looking for a computer that can surf the net, store my Itunes library, watch DVD's, and occasionally use Microsoft Office. Not any sort of a gamer. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my laptop of six years finally crapped the bed.
IMO, the best laptop for these purposes is an Asus laptop with a b960/i3. My suggestion would be to head on over to a best buy, last time I was there they had really good prices on Asus laptops in that area. Should be about $300-$350

Unless you are looking for some sort of fit and finish level like an ultrabook, fast boot times like an SSD provides, or just like spending money. In which case that changes things.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
IMO, the best laptop for these purposes is an Asus laptop with a b960/i3. My suggestion would be to head on over to a best buy, last time I was there they had really good prices on Asus laptops in that area. Should be about $300-$350

Unless you are looking for some sort of fit and finish level like an ultrabook, fast boot times like an SSD provides, or just like spending money. In which case that changes things.
Appreciate it, will definitely head to Best Buy some time soon. I did CNET'S help to find a laptop, and these two came up that would be in my price range. Does anyone think one would be better than the other, or are they both okay or bad?

http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-3430_7-...41326-35541360

Old
11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
SniperHF
Mod Supervisor
Crocodilialligator

Quote:
Appreciate it, will definitely head to Best Buy some time soon. I did CNET'S help to find a laptop, and these two came up that would be in my price range. Does anyone think one would be better than the other, or are they both okay or bad?

They are pretty similar, As a general rule I'd buy a Toshiba before an Acer. The main difference is the Toshiba has a low power consumption processor while the Acer has a faster processor.

But for your situation I would think the lower power consumption would be better unless you are going to run it like a desktop always plugged in.

Personally I'd just drop my price though. Not sure, given the uses you said, that you will see any benefit from an i5 laptop over an i3. I'd sooner buy an i3 based laptop and upgrade to an SSD, you'll see more benefits that way.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
LickTheEnvelope
5th Overall Blows 2

Quote:

The Acer is better.

Closed Thread