HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Star: Maple Leafs might be better off without a season

Old
11-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Whydidijoin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Shoot the messenger? Comments like that always just seem uptight and parochial to me. Cox makes a reasonable case here that the Leafs might be better off letting the young talent play where they are. You don't find that position even a little thought provoking?
But the young talent would probably be playing where they are anyway, unless of course they show they are ready for the NHL, in which case it is not better to have them in the lower leagues.

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that the lockout helps the Leafs in any way.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:19 PM
mapleleaf979

I really like Reilly as well. The only thing about him making the team is the log jam of Dmen we already have and we wont know what there NHL capabilites are. Id keep morgan in Moose Jaw and let him play in the WJC regardless of how he was at camp. I think the Leafs have to see what Holzer and Ranger can do in the NHL . Id like to give Blacker a few games too. I dont like the re-signing of John Michael Liles at all. I also think Gunnarson is one of the most over rated guys on the Leafs. Gunnarson struggles to be consistent from game to game.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I also think Gunnarson is one of the most over rated guys on the Leafs. Gunnarson struggles to be consistent from game to game.

Gunnarsson is one of our more consistent guys. Just because a guy isn't consistently elite doesn't mean they aren't consistent. A lot of people seem to struggle with that idea.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Kingstonian84*

Gunnarsson is one of the most consistent players, not to mention our best defensive blueliner, dude you really should actually watch him in action before spouting off at the mouth.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
LeaffanDM

not only would a full season lockout be better for development, it gives burke some breathing room to be able to make better roster moves and if a full season is lost, there will more than likely be a lottery again for the draft, and this year is a really high talent year. and to me, having just a chance at getting a high pick in this years crop. is worth missing the whole season for.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:38 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaffanDM View Post
not only would a full season lockout be better for development, it gives burke some breathing room to be able to make better roster moves and if a full season is lost, there will more than likely be a lottery again for the draft, and this year is a really high talent year. and to me, having just a chance at getting a high pick in this years crop. is worth missing the whole season for.
there is a chance if the lottery is done the same as last time that we could end up in the 20's whereas if we played there's no chance we would end up in the 20's, assuming Burke doesn't trade our pick away.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I really like Reilly as well. The only thing about him making the team is the log jam of Dmen we already have and we wont know what there NHL capabilites are. Id keep morgan in Moose Jaw and let him play in the WJC regardless of how he was at camp. I think the Leafs have to see what Holzer and Ranger can do in the NHL . Id like to give Blacker a few games too. I dont like the re-signing of John Michael Liles at all. I also think Gunnarson is one of the most over rated guys on the Leafs. Gunnarson struggles to be consistent from game to game.
Except that Gunnar is one of our better defenseman.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
there is a chance if the lottery is done the same as last time that we could end up in the 20's whereas if we played there's no chance we would end up in the 20's, assuming Burke doesn't trade our pick away.
Even if Burke wants to chuck our 1st round pick away he can't because of the lockout, which means if we lose a season (and it's looking that way right now) then that means we get put in the lottery bucket with 29 other NHL teams.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
The Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Better not do the same system. There should be next to no chance for teams like NYR, LAK, Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston etc. to get a top pick or even top 15.
I agree with this. The system they used last time was awful, and I will be pissed if they use it again.

The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Suntouchable13

There are some players on the Leafs right now who won't benefit at all from a lost season. Take a look at Reimer. Oh I am sure a full season lost is going to be great for him If this season is lost, Burke will absolutely have to make a trade for an established goalie. I wouldn't trust Reimer in any way shape or form to be any good after missing a full season. This is dumb any way. No team is going to benefit from losing a full season. It's just shocking to me how many fans would rather not play for some myth that it will somehow benefit the Leafs more than other teams. I hope they play this season, bottom line. I don't care for some draft pick. It's not good for the league, and until the Leafs play in some other league, missing a full season is no good.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:21 AM
DaveT83*

The benefit is that without a CBA Burke cannot do anything stupid. I.E trading 1sts/prospects.
We get Connolly/Lombo/Stekel off the books, Another year off Komi which may make him more attractive to move when Hockey resumes. And our prospects get a full year to just play AHL hockey. Without the pressure of yo-yoing up and down to the big club. If we get another lottery pick out of it - it will be a dream come true.

Burke would have succeeded at rebuilding through the draft despite his every attempt not to LOL.
(If only we had hung on to Sequin/Hamilton/Rask)

Sure would've liked to have traded MacA for that 1st rounder now!

Last edited by DaveT83*: 11-23-2012 at 10:26 AM.
DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:26 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
The benefit is that without a CBA Burke cannot do anything stupid. I.E trading 1sts/prospects.
We get Connolly off the books, Another year off Komi/Lombo which may make them more attractive to move when Hockey resumes. And our prospects get a full year to just play AHL hockey. Without the pressure of yo-yoing up and down to the big club. If we get another lottery pick out of it - it will be a dream come true.

Burke would have succeeded at rebuilding through the draft despite his every attempt not to LOL.
We didn't. the trade is done. Stop torturing yourself and move on. If you can't accept it, cheer for another team.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
We get Connolly off the books, Another year off Komi/Lombo which may make them more attractive to move when Hockey resumes. And our prospects get a full year to just play AHL hockey. Without the pressure of yo-yoing up and down to the big club. If we get another lottery pick out of it - it will be a dream come true.

I disagree with everything in this post except the Komi/Lombo thing.

What stupid thing did Burke do? Get a consistent 30+ goal scorer who should be hitting 40 as soon as we get him legit linemates? Was getting Phaneuf for scraps stupid? Was getting a top line LW and a potential top 2/4 Dman for an overrated crappy Dman stupid? Was trading an immobile Dman for a recent 2nd overall who has shown flashes of brilliance and dominance in the playoffs a stupid thing?

How is losing Connolly for nothing a good thing when we can get a pick for him at TDL.

Why is Burke getting blamed for things he never did (Rask).

who is Sequin.

So say we replaced Kessel with Seguin. Would our team be better? I definitely don't think so.

Also, Burke basically got Gardiner + Lupul for nothing, which I would take over Hamilton any day.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:39 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
We get Connolly/Lombo/Stekel off the books, Another year off Komi which may make him more attractive to move when Hockey resumes. And our prospects get a full year to just play AHL hockey. Without the pressure of yo-yoing up and down to the big club. If we get another lottery pick out of it - it will be a dream come true.

We never had Seguin or Hamilton and Burke never traded Rask. This gets tired. If you want to moan about that trade you should wait until Hamilton has something of a career and Seguin prove he is better, because basically we got the best player in the trade and you are just hoping the others prove to be worth more. If Hamilton settles in as a number 3 or lower d-man and Seguin is close to Kessel career wise your complaints will seem pretty petty, actually, they already do. Even then you have no way of knowing who we would have drafted in Hamiltons spot so its pretty rediculous.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:02 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I could see BUrke and Nonis and co. putting forward some pretty creative ideas for the draft.

the way it was done last time shouldn't be done again.

EDM gets 3 balls after the recent drafts they've had?

PIT, PHI, BOS, CHI, VAN all get a chance to draft in the top 5?

While the Leafs haven't made the playoffs since 2004.

Something like starting with 30balls per team.
Minus 3 balls every year made playoffs last 5 years.
Minus 5 Cup winner last 5 years
Minus 5 Conference Final last 5 years.
Minus 3 balls every 1st overall pick last 5 years.
Minus 2 balls every 2nd overall pick last 5 years.
Minus 1 ball every 3rd overall pick last 5 years.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:05 PM
TmlHockeyFan

This lockout would mostly benefit Kadri, Gardiner and Frattin (for the Leafs). It also benefits Paul Ranger.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:05 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

His trade record is better than his UFA signing record.

So why would you want something that would create nothing but UFA's????

Logic does not compute.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:07 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I could see BUrke and Nonis and co. putting forward some pretty creative ideas for the draft.

the way it was done last time shouldn't be done again.

EDM gets 3 balls after the recent drafts they've had?

PIT, PHI, BOS, CHI, VAN all get a chance to draft in the top 5?

While the Leafs haven't made the playoffs since 2004.

Something like starting with 30balls per team.
Minus 3 balls every year made playoffs last 5 years.
Minus 5 Cup winner last 5 years
Minus 5 Conference Final last 5 years.
Minus 3 balls every 1st overall pick last 5 years.
Minus 2 balls every 2nd overall pick last 5 years.
Minus 1 ball every 3rd overall pick last 5 years.
Just give first overall to the leafs. Then trade that player we draft for Connor McDavid the following year.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:08 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
His trade record is better than his UFA signing record.

So why would you want something that would create nothing but UFA's????

Logic does not compute.
He gets rid of large contracts and can take up more worthy contracts ie. Perry and Getzlaf.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:00 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Is Holzer going to make the Leafs whether it be come this season or next, and will he be able to make an impact (in his first year and in his career)?
The day Luke Schenn was traded I heard that Holzer could be the one who replaces him on their Defense. So at the very least he will be given a good look when and if training camp starts.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Winreims

I agree with Cox on this one. Although half a season might be interesting considering how well the Leafs usually start. We might make the playoffs with a 40-50 game schedule LOL

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote