HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 11:14 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

vCash: 500
After multiple tournaments and exhibition games we played our first league game. It was pretty intense 5-5 tie. We had 10 forwards and 5 defenseman during the game. One of our forwards was a call up from house, big guy 6'2 and 250lbs for a 15 year old. He was very slow but worked his ass of for 8-9 minutes he played. I played about 15 to 20 minutes, played one of my better games through the 11 we played. Set multiple chances, created a few and was aggressive on the forecheck even though I panicked with the puck a few times and caused and gave away the puck. We were down by one goal with 3 minutes left when our top dangler deking out 2 guys and scoring an amazing goal. After, with a minute 1:38 left in the game we scored a PP goal. After that we came out to shutdown the opposing team for a minute. Our centerman had the puck in the neutral zone in beetween our blue line and the red lince with space to move and dump but instead he ices it and it comes back for a draw in our zone. He losses the draw they take it in and tie it up 5-5

Old
11-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Broke my foot i think. Taking a shot off the top of the laces.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

OUCH!

Team won our first game last night. Hate to say it, but we had a sub goalie and that made a big difference. Our regular guy didn't play at all over the summer and his rebound control and positioning are way off. But we're playing a little better as a team, fewer turnovers in the neutral zone (still seems like we turn it over three times per shift).

No points for me today, but I had a few nice plays including one that resulted in a goal (snagged a loose puck, deked a guy and chipped it up to the winger who took it behind the net and centered it, other winger took the shot, center scored on the rebound). Also got to play more aggressive D and carried the puck through the other team a few times. Always love when you get to wheel around the O zone with the puck on a string and the other team standing still, but missed my shot.

Negatives, I could not settle the puck at the blue line. It jumped my stick a few times and I flubbed a few times, twice resulting in breakaways and once for a goal against. Also took a draw and crushed my pinky finger which is bugging me today.

But a win's a win

Old
11-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
But a win's a win
That it is! For me I feel half of my best-played games are where I get 0 points and play more of a shutdown role.

TODAY have nothing going on.

Last night I had a goal and 2 assists in a 9-6 win. My goal was a breakaway five-hole shot from between the circles; both assists were cross-ice lasers that hit my breaking teammates while I stood there watching and drawing the lone defender to me on the boards. I do that a lot, but the goals aren't as plentiful as I'd like. Everyone gets assists off of me scoring but not many pot 'em for me to get the assist on them

Tomorrow's game is going to be tough, I'm calling a 2-goal game at best but I have no idea who will win.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
do0glas

I perused the stats in the gold league

Games are going like 14-8,12-7 etc. and top players have 50 points in 8 games ! I have 0 aspirations to play at that level now. Sounds like drop in.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Back story: For this season, our league merge the Division 1 and Division 2 teams to form one division because a team from each division dropped out. We were in division 2 and up until this point had won a championship and lost one in the 5 or 6 season we have been a team. So far this season, and up until this game, we had only lost once against the former division 1 teams with that one loss being by one goal against the best team the rink has to offer. We had a lead with 3 minutes left and never trailed the game. Our goalie played like a monster and I hit the post with a second left which would have tied the game.

Yesterday, we played them again and I knew I'd have to play a complete game (as well as several other) in order to have a chance. We were down by two goals at one point, 3-1, and came back to tie it with 4 minutes to play. They score a couple quick ones and we get within one with a little over a minute left. We throw out a 'hero' line of sorts but cannot get anything going.

As a forward that recently shifted to defense, I played easily my best defensive-defensive game to date. Positioning was sound, gave them nothing one v. one, played the body when I needed to and use my speed well to recover and break up plays. Saved a few goals by knocking away tap-in rebounds or tying up my man. Even had a quality assist on a breakout saucer pass from my own goal-line, right on my wingers tape at our offensive blueline after they made a bad change for a breakaway. It was the first time I felt like a QB going through progressions until I found the open receiver while playing D.

Even though we lost another tough one, a game like that has to give us confidence if/when we play them in the playoffs because chances are a championship will have to go through them. I kept preaching to our team that regardless of what happens, we have to keep working because that'll be what tips the game in our balance.

Afterwards, one of their players said to us, 'you guys don't quit.'

Old
11-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Broke my foot i think. Taking a shot off the top of the laces.
Xray was negative so its some sort of soft tissue injury. Sucks because the emergency room doctors are useless when it comes to sports injuries.

Said it was a contusion but the pain is going through the depth of my foot. Whatever it is its more than a surface injury.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Technically it was last night, but since I didn't get home from the game until 12:30 am, I'm counting it as today...

The face-offs in our end where I'm the one who goes up against their point guy (I'm a winger) - those things have always given me trouble. First, I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing, only that they wanted me to stand out of my usual spot. Then, I knew where to stand but never actually accomplished much by being there. Then, I knew where to be and what to do, but wasn't ever able to do it - either the guy took a shot and it just went past me, or he never got the shot so I didn't have anything to do.

Last night we had one guy who was their good guy - everything went through him. Everyone knew that THAT was the guy to watch. We went up for a faceoff right in front of our goalie and I saw him standing there, waiting for the puck to drop and thought "oh crap...he's their best guy, we're right in front of our net, and it's MY job to stop him. Crap, crap, crap!"

Well, for the first time ever, it worked out for me. The puck dropped, he got it, I was in the way - he took a nice slapper and PLUNK, it bounced right off of my shinguard. We pushed it out of the zone (it might have even been me who whacked it out, I was so gobsmacked that I had actually stopped the puck that I was on autopilot for a few seconds) and that made my evening.

We were down by 1 going into the last 2 minutes. Ended up tying it up, then winning in a shoot-out. We lost last week in a shoot-out, so everyone was very happy with the results.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Redstreak

Our team lost last night 3-2, but we played without a goalie for 35 minutes, so all in all pretty good. We had one guy standing in front of the net in normal skater pads, and he actually managed to make some good saves.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Frankie Spankie

Won a close one 2-1. Usually in my beer league there's at least 8 goals combined, 3 total is something you see 2-3 times a year. No points for me but I'll take credit for being the big body screening the goalie for the second goal!

Old
11-16-2012, 01:21 AM
reecardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Xray was negative so its some sort of soft tissue injury. Sucks because the emergency room doctors are useless when it comes to sports injuries.

Said it was a contusion but the pain is going through the depth of my foot. Whatever it is its more than a surface injury.
Soft tissue injuries are worse, at least bones heal quickly/predictably and stronger then before!

Got my first sports injection today, for my tennis elbow. Had the doc check out my sprained ankle also, asked if I should play tomorrow. He said he knew I would anyway, so just to wrap it tight and ice it afterwards. As he is shooting my elbow up he tells me a story about how he played for years with his buddy who was on the 80' miracle USA team. Really starting to like my doc.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:31 PM
JR97

Today... rather tonight... I get to play for the Park City League Championship.

Undefeated season thus far. I"m pre-celebrating by going to a place called the Beer Hive for "lunch".

Old
11-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecardo View Post
Soft tissue injuries are worse, at least bones heal quickly/predictably and stronger then before!

Got my first sports injection today, for my tennis elbow. Had the doc check out my sprained ankle also, asked if I should play tomorrow. He said he knew I would anyway, so just to wrap it tight and ice it afterwards. As he is shooting my elbow up he tells me a story about how he played for years with his buddy who was on the 80' miracle USA team. Really starting to like my doc.
Yeah ive had my share of injuries between hockey, lacrosse and rugby.

Soft tissue sucks.

This one is a weird one. Usually the puck off the foot leaved a break or a superficial bruise but this is right through my foot. Almost like the impact shifted the bones causing internal soft tissue damage. Almost a week later and i still cant walk properly or put a ton of weight on the fore foot.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:11 AM
noobman

For the last few games I've tried waxing the tape on my stick. I like that the ice doesn't stick to it and the fact that it seems to preserve the tape job, but I just can't seem to handle the puck quite as well. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Also, I'm looking at messing around with my lacing technique. I find that the eyelet at the bottom of the ankle doesn't seem to be holding when I tighten it, which is causing wobble. I've tried wetting the laces which has helped a little bit, but it usually takes 2-3 shifts before the laces seem to hold well enough to be properly tight. That means I often waste 2-3 shifts semi-coasting, afraid to really stop or turn hard. I've also heard people suggest that taping up the boot around the ankle may help.

In actuality they're 6 year old skates and probably need to be replaced, but I'm looking for a stopgap until the end of the season before evaluating whether or not I'm going to continue playing.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:44 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
if you're not already, try using heavier waxed laces like elite oval. tried them for 1 game and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. they were like welded to my skates.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Today I attended a level 1 official seminar

I thought I was a pretty decent skater until we got to the on-ice session. Becoming an official is going to motivate me to get my skating to be A LOT better.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got blown out again 8-0 tonight. Sadly I thought it was the best game our team played so far but we are just at the wrong level. I mean, the puck battles were not far apart and we were strong in our end...but they scored on every rush and breakaway.

In four games we've been outscored 27-7.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Got blown out again 8-0 tonight. Sadly I thought it was the best game our team played so far but we are just at the wrong level. I mean, the puck battles were not far apart and we were strong in our end...but they scored on every rush and breakaway.

In four games we've been outscored 27-7.
That feeling sucks. And by the time you realize you entered at the wrong level it's too late to go back.

One year the beer league team I played for entered a short tournament over the weekend. I think there were A, B, and C levels; we entered the "B" level and in our three games we gave up goals in the double digits every game and only scored once in those three games.

The thing was like $130 per player to enter in too. Damnit.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Ozz

Two games tonight. First was a no-defense back and forth game which we lost in a shootout. The second was against a winless team who we've stomped a few times and barely won by a goal thanks to a late rush. IMO we played like **** in both games, certainly not up to our usual standards. The 2nd one, despite the win, was worse especially considering we let them go up 4-0 on us in the first.

Had a few goals between the two, but overall played like garbage right along w/most the team.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We won a lot of games our first few years despite the league taking away our top 3 players each year. So last year they took away our top FOUR players AND moved us up. They all but said this is punishment for our earlier success.

If we can move back down next year I'm kind of torn as to whether I could/should. I scored 19-7=26 in 20gp last year at this level even though we were about .500. So I know I can play at this level...but most guys really struggle. Not saying I'm head and shoulders better, but I kind of wonder how I'd do with some of these teams that puts in 5+ goals a night and has some good playmakers. I've never played with a good playmaker more than a few shifts a night and we haven't had one on the team for many years.

On the other hand, I've been with these guys for six years, and I enjoy playing with them. Would be crappy to jump ship because of one bad season.

We'll see how it all shakes out. It's frustrating to be four games in and feel like the season's toast already. And I'm not really enjoying playing defense all that much, although the team needs me there. But playing hockey even getting killed is better than not playing right?

Old
11-19-2012, 07:05 AM
izzy3

Used my 11K first time with my new SIDAS GEL 3D insoles. All I can say: WOW. They're very comfortable, but my edge control did not suffer, quite the opposite, even got better. I played pickup with some guys 2 divisions above me, and my skating was right there with them.

Still have stone hands compared to them, so lot to improve, but man was that a good feeling skating like that!

Old
11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good news from last week's match, I've lost enough weight that my fat pants aren't staying up so well. Another 5-10 pounds and I'll be back in my Tackla 9000's.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Good news from last week's match, I've lost enough weight that my fat pants aren't staying up so well. Another 5-10 pounds and I'll be back in my Tackla 9000's.
Congrats! I just bought new pants yesterday, the ones I got when I first started back in March are a little baggy.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:24 PM
polysaturate

...got my first assist in league play...ever! Our team also knocked off the top team who was 9-0(...and summer's upper D champs(they merged upper and lower D league for this season, and or team got ALL the noobs)). I'm really starting to get my feet under me and generally feel good about where my skills are headed for the second half of the season.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:44 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Had to bag skate today

Closed Thread