HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 12:33 AM
lanky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
How do they tell if its Separation or dislocation without an MRI which will be done Sunday or Monday?

And yes, i hope its not a dislocation....to bad...really to bad...
It's pretty easy to tell the difference. A separation happens at the joint of the collar bone and shoulder blade (that boney knob beside the base of your neck). A dislocation happens when the arm leaves the shoulder socket. Reports are that Murray's injury was a dislocation, which is rarely an easy injury to come back quickly from in hockey.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:33 AM
InjuredChoker

If there's other damage like labrum tear, he's out for sure. Up to 6 months.

Hope that's not the case. But I think he's likely out for WJCs.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Macman

That'll be a huge loss if he can't go.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:40 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingInReverse View Post
Put Percy in there.
Hasn't been playing to great with the Steelheads this year, I doubt he makes it.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Poor, poor example. Sens fans pushed for Mark Stone on the team because we knew what an asset he would be for Team Canada

Were we wrong?
Just like the Canucks know Corrado will be an asset for Team Canada. I like both Stone and Corrado, but just because they aren't making everyone's list doesn't mean their fanbase has to take great injustice and cry out that everyone isn't considering them because of their draft position.

I guess the main difference between them is that Stone was a much more dominant junior player last year than Corrado is this year, Ill give you that

Old
11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Torts

my new stab after the super series

Huberdeau - RNH - MacKinnon
Di Giuseppe- Scheifele - Rattie
Monahan - Strome - Ritchie
Danualt - Jenner - McNeil
Hudon

***if no RNH then potentially St. Croix/ move McNeil or Danualt to center and add Shinkaruk

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart- Ouellet
Murphy

***if Murray is still out which he might be id say go with Dumba or Ceci

Subban
Brossoit

Old
11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
Cool. Just reading up on him...of course he's a Red Wings non-1st rounder.
Wings traded back out of the first with Ottawa so they could select Puempel, the return wound up being Jurco and Ouellet. Looking like a very good deal.

It was always going to be a longshot but people in Detroit were hopeful Sproul could have played his way into contention and it looked possible that both would be in camp before Sproul went down to injury.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Line 1)

Huberdeau
Nugent - Hopkins
MacKinnon

Line 2)

Hudon
Scheifele
Strome

Line 3)

Monahan
Jenner
Rattie

Line 4)

Wilson
Danult
Ritchie

Drouin

Defence

Murray
Hamilton
Ouellet
Reinhart
Reilly
Murphy

Goalies

Subban
Broissot

EDIT: Forgot Harrington who is a lock

Last edited by 1972: 11-18-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 05:21 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
my new stab after the super series

Huberdeau - RNH - MacKinnon
Di Giuseppe- Scheifele - Rattie
Monahan - Strome - Ritchie
Danualt - Jenner - McNeil
Hudon

***if no RNH then potentially St. Croix/ move McNeil or Danualt to center and add Shinkaruk

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart- Ouellet
Murphy

***if Murray is still out which he might be id say go with Dumba or Ceci

Subban
Brossoit
Nice. But I would like Wilson in there. Maybe remove Di Guiseppe or Hudon.
If no RNH than replace him by Wilson and keep the rest.
Remove murray for seimens.
Remove Brossoit for Comrie. I truly believe we have future AHL goalies in Canada. Give Comrie the chance he can't do worse.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Nice. But I would like Wilson in there. Maybe remove Di Guiseppe or Hudon.
If no RNH than replace him by Wilson and keep the rest.
Remove murray for seimens.
Remove Brossoit for Comrie. I truly believe we have future AHL goalies in Canada. Give Comrie the chance he can't do worse.
i agree slightly, i think Ritchie and McNeil can bring the same aspects that makes Wilson attractive and can add more offense.

as for Brossoit I think if it's not him its Binnington then. If it was me id be bringing Fucale or Martin over Comrie

Old
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
i agree slightly, i think Ritchie and McNeil can bring the same aspects that makes Wilson attractive and can add more offense.

as for Brossoit I think if it's not him its Binnington then. If it was me id be bringing Fucale or Martin over Comrie
Ritchie does add the offense but eh doesnt add the bite that Wilson will. Ritchies also wildly inconsistent, he'll need to keep up this good play before I think he plays his way onto the team

Old
11-18-2012, 09:36 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingInReverse View Post
Put Percy in there.
I'm a Leafs fan and I'll even say no to that.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
markyj93

My Picks

Knowing Hockey Canada throughout the years for this tournament, undrafted 17 year olds have a much harder time making the team which will make it tough for Shinkaruk, Drouin especially. Think back on the players that have been cut for this tournament as 17 year olds (Nugent-Hopkins, Duchene, Seguin to name a few). MacKinnon is the golden boy right now and can provide service in more of a checking role if he isn't scoring. He also built some pretty good chemistry with Jonathan Huberdeau in the super series and could be used on the first line. Sean Monahan will have it tough but could fit like a glove on this team given his adaptability to either a wing spot or playing tough minutes at center against top lines. To be safe I slotted him as a 13th forward but I think he will be one of Team Canada's more important forwards as the tournament goes on. My picks with 3 solid scoring lines and a shut down line:

Huberdeau Nuge Mackinnon - whole team could change if they use Strome on wing.
Jenner Scheifele Rattie - good balance of size and skill, all tough to get the puck from
Hudon Strome Ritchie - another good balance w/ chemistry between Niagara players
Danault McNeill Wilson - These 4 players would get some tough minutes
Monahan

If Huberdeau and Nugent-Hopkins are in the NHL, Griffith, Di Giuseppe are good candidates. Di Giuseppe had a pretty strong camp last year when a lot of people didn't know who he was. Griffith provides good playoff experience, and would be valuable on a scoring line.

Rielly Hamilton
Reinhart Harrington
Ouellet/Dumba Ceci
Murphy

There are a lot of options on D and the injury to Murray opens up a defensive d-man spot for a guy like Reinhart. Not a huge Dumba fan, but he had a good camp last year and Hockey Canada loves him. Rielly will be great on the big ice. Defense is tough to pick and is certainly Canada's strength. Lots of big mobile defensemen which is essential on big ice.

Subban

Not a goalie guy but its been one of Canada's biggest weaknesses for while now. Strong defensive play could make this team really hard to score against with Subban in net.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
arsmaster

If Murray is out, that is a GIGANTIC loss for Canada.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
PumpkinBomb

To get the most use out of RNH you need to play him with players that can cycle the puck.

I think his best assets would be St Croix and Rattie.

Hubredeau and McKinnon are good for scoring on the rush, and I would leave them together, but I don't like their cycle game as much as St Croix and Rattie.

As for PP, i guess whomever is clicking, but they'll be running an umbrella with their best puck mover at the top, with RNH on the 1/2 boards, and their biggest shot on the other edge of the umbrella.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
To get the most use out of RNH you need to play him with players that can cycle the puck.

I think his best assets would be St Croix and Rattie.

Hubredeau and McKinnon are good for scoring on the rush, and I would leave them together, but I don't like their cycle game as much as St Croix and Rattie.

As for PP, i guess whomever is clicking, but they'll be running an umbrella with their best puck mover at the top, with RNH on the 1/2 boards, and their biggest shot on the other edge of the umbrella.
Jonathan Drouin it is

Old
11-19-2012, 08:55 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyj93 View Post
Knowing Hockey Canada throughout the years for this tournament, undrafted 17 year olds have a much harder time making the team which will make it tough for Shinkaruk, Drouin especially. Think back on the players that have been cut for this tournament as 17 year olds (Nugent-Hopkins, Duchene, Seguin to name a few). MacKinnon is the golden boy right now and can provide service in more of a checking role if he isn't scoring. He also built some pretty good chemistry with Jonathan Huberdeau in the super series and could be used on the first line. Sean Monahan will have it tough but could fit like a glove on this team given his adaptability to either a wing spot or playing tough minutes at center against top lines. To be safe I slotted him as a 13th forward but I think he will be one of Team Canada's more important forwards as the tournament goes on. My picks with 3 solid scoring lines and a shut down line:

Huberdeau Nuge Mackinnon - whole team could change if they use Strome on wing.
Jenner Scheifele Rattie - good balance of size and skill, all tough to get the puck from
Hudon Strome Ritchie - another good balance w/ chemistry between Niagara players
Danault McNeill Wilson - These 4 players would get some tough minutes
Monahan

If Huberdeau and Nugent-Hopkins are in the NHL, Griffith, Di Giuseppe are good candidates. Di Giuseppe had a pretty strong camp last year when a lot of people didn't know who he was. Griffith provides good playoff experience, and would be valuable on a scoring line.

Rielly Hamilton
Reinhart Harrington
Ouellet/Dumba Ceci
Murphy

There are a lot of options on D and the injury to Murray opens up a defensive d-man spot for a guy like Reinhart. Not a huge Dumba fan, but he had a good camp last year and Hockey Canada loves him. Rielly will be great on the big ice. Defense is tough to pick and is certainly Canada's strength. Lots of big mobile defensemen which is essential on big ice.

Subban

Not a goalie guy but its been one of Canada's biggest weaknesses for while now. Strong defensive play could make this team really hard to score against with Subban in net.
That's nice I think most of the people on this board have about the same team with the exception of 1 or 2 changes. My changes in D is remove dumba and Cecil for Siemens.

If I had to change a forward it might be hudon for di guiseppe due to him being bigger and hudon will get a chance next year I think. But this change would be tough to do.

Also bring Comrie as subbans backup

Old
11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Hasn't been playing to great with the Steelheads this year, I doubt he makes it.
What is this comment based on...hockeydb?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
What is this comment based on...hockeydb?
Watching them? Maybe he's picked it up lately like the entire team but two weeks ago he wasn't that good. Even last Tuesday vs Ottawa he was meh. Defiantly not good enough for team Canada unless he substantially improves.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Does this team have a better chance of winning gold compared to the last few years?

Old
11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
Does this team have a better chance of winning gold compared to the last few years?

No. Big ice in Russia and Russia have a strong squad. Sweden have a very strong team aswell. USA will bounce back. Finland and Czech has their best teams in 10 years.

Good luck Canada, you gonna need it.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
If the lockout drags on, then yes. I'd say favorite to win...but nothing is guaranteed. Should be back in the gold medal game at the very least. Big ice shouldn't be an issue.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
No. Big ice in Russia and Russia have a strong squad. Sweden have a very strong team aswell. USA will bounce back. Finland and Czech has their best teams in 10 years.

Good luck Canada, you gonna need it.
I don't get your logic at all. Of course it will be easier to win with RNH, Huberdeau, Murray, Schiefele, Rattie, Strome and Jenner (and maybe even more) than without them. Doesn't mean Canada will win, but I don't like their chances without 'em. It's no coincidence Canada has dominated in lockout years. Big ice? A non-issue.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I don't get your logic at all. Of course it will be easier to win with RNH, Huberdeau, Murray, Schiefele, Rattie, Strome and Jenner (and maybe even more) than without them. Doesn't mean Canada will win, but I don't like their chances without 'em. It's no coincidence Canada has dominated in lockout years. Big ice? A non-issue.
exactly... it's a myth that Canada doesn't play well on big ice; over the past 20 years 10 WJHC played in Europe, only 3 times has Canada failed to play in the gold medal game. So that's 7 gold medal games played, 5 wins 2 losses. 2 bronze medals and only 1 time Canada failed to medal on European ice. I don't think any European team can match those results on European ice.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
exactly... it's a myth that Canada doesn't play well on big ice; over the past 20 years 10 WJHC played in Europe, only 3 times has Canada failed to play in the gold medal game. So that's 7 gold medal games played, 5 wins 2 losses. 2 bronze medals and only 1 time Canada failed to medal on European ice. I don't think any European team can match those results on European ice.
And conversely, Russia has won on small ice. It's about picking the right players, not the dimensions of the rink.

Closed Thread