So who is bummed about the lockout? II

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
They do dedicate their entire lives to hockey. To them, it's more than a game. It's their livelihood and they care about its future - not just one lost season.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Once again, players say they want to play, show up to a meeting with nothing, shocked nothing got done.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-20-2012, 09:45 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i know...it's sad, really. We're here to...to...Uh, listen if you have any new ideas because our side is incapable of even talking about anything. You know, after complaining the NHL suggested a two week break because we weren't talking.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:00 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I love how the NHL sent them away with the homework of actually putting a proposal together.

Fehr will show up to the next meeting four hours late, with Raffi Torres wearing a dog collar and leash. His only statement;

"My dog ate my homework."

Old
11-20-2012, 10:35 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

You know that "proposal" that they may or may not be working on today to bring to the supposed meeting on Wednesday? Bet anything it's what they've had from the start, just reworded. Annnnd it's at the point the NHL should just cancel the rest of the year.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
You know that "proposal" that they may or may not be working on today to bring to the supposed meeting on Wednesday? Bet anything it's what they've had from the start, just reworded. Annnnd it's at the point the NHL should just cancel the rest of the year.
And I bet whatever they come back with is still de-linked.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:07 AM
HobeyBroten

I have officially given up on the season, my liver and stress can't take it any more. If the season started tomorrow I would be pumped but I'm just sick and tired of listening to the attempt at PR battle from the PA.

If (once) the season is canceled, does anybody legitimately know where we would rank in terms of draft ping pong balls?

Old
11-20-2012, 11:10 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

No. No one can legitimately know "where we would rank in terms of draft ping pong balls." Any draft lottery behavior must be explicitly outlined in the new CBA the sides would eventually reach. One could guess it might be similar to 2005, but if they came to such an agreement, the league could draft by alphabetical order if they so desired.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
HobeyBroten

What if they have not reached a solution on a new CBA with new draft rules. Would it default to current/previous CBA rules?

Old
11-20-2012, 11:15 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeyBroten View Post
What if they have not reached a solution on a new CBA with new draft rules. Would it default to current/previous CBA rules?
I bet they would postpone the draft until a new CBA was inked.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:24 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
They do dedicate their entire lives to hockey. To them, it's more than a game. It's their livelihood and they care about its future - not just one lost season.
That's no excuse for not bringing any offer or supporting evidence for months and months. I prepare for and negotiated better as a freshman in high school.

The only word for the players is childish.

They had reasonable positions that they tossed away because they are idiots.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:27 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I bet they would postpone the draft until a new CBA was inked.
I'm doubtful on this point. While I'm certainly not a labor law expert, I do know that the NHL's previous CBA is effective until replaced. That means that, contrary to popular wisdom, the NHL does currently have a CBA. What actually expired with the previous CBA is merely the "no work stoppage" clause that prevented a lockout or a strike. If the law allows (and I'm completely uncertain on this point) the league could presumably lift the lockout in June, and force the draft under the 2005 CBA.

Now, that's highly unlikely, but just brought up for leverage purposes. Since the league may have the power to unilaterally institute a draft, it's likely that the league and PA would come to terms for holding a draft, regardless of whether a new CBA had been reached to that point. IIRC this is what we saw with the NFL and NFLPA during their lockout (the structure of the NFL season sees the league year start shortly after the Superbowl instead of immediately before the preseason like in the NHL). A postponed draft is extremely unlikely in my opinion.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:38 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
No. No one can legitimately know "where we would rank in terms of draft ping pong balls." Any draft lottery behavior must be explicitly outlined in the new CBA the sides would eventually reach. One could guess it might be similar to 2005, but if they came to such an agreement, the league could draft by alphabetical order if they so desired.
but how would Pittsburgh or Toronto get a 1st overall pick in such a case?

not definitive but this is what went down in 2005 and might go down in 2013 if season is gone

Quote:
The NHL and NHLPA would need to reach a CBA before the draft could be held. If you recall, the 2005 draft -- also known as the Sidney Sweepstakes -- was in great peril before a new CBA was reached on July 13, 2005. Nine days later, the order of selection was determined. Eight days after that -- on July 30, more than a month after the draft is typically held -- it was staged in a ballroom in Ottawa, closed to the public. But if no CBA was reached, no draft would have been held. Same goes this year.[
source
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...-mckinnon.html

Old
11-20-2012, 12:54 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeyBroten View Post
I have officially given up on the season, my liver and stress can't take it any more. If the season started tomorrow I would be pumped but I'm just sick and tired of listening to the attempt at PR battle from the PA.

If (once) the season is canceled, does anybody legitimately know where we would rank in terms of draft ping pong balls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
My guess is that they would use the same system as 2005, if only because it's less that everyone has to agree on, and also some teams (e.g., us) would complain about unfairness to no end if we felt that the old arrangement would have been more favorable to us this time around.

Anyway, I calculated this out a while ago. Under the old rules, this year's draft would be:

Quote:
1 Ball: Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington
2 Balls: Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
3 Balls: Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Long Island, Toronto, Winnipeg

Old
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I liked the NHL's move here. "Bring an actual proposal, because we're done screwing around."

IMO the PA has been very effective at digging in and pulling the NHL closer, but now the NHL is digging in and it's the PA's turn to start playing ball.

I swear if the PA comes back with another 1-2 page de-linked proposal, Bettman ought to just have a press conference asking the players to ask their PA reps what it is that Fehr is truly after. That's the point where you try and split the union.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:48 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Just curious, but when the NHL does resume, will anyone have troubles cheering for individual players due to all this nonsense?

I bet Versteeg, Ian White, etc lost a bunch of fans.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 250
Steo has made himself to look like a tool on twitter. lost some love from me

Old
11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I cheer for hockey players, not lawyers. If Seto gets a hatty I'm not going to turn my back on him.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:13 PM
rafterman

vCash: 379
Yep. Certain players have shown themselves to be clueless and petulant.

I believe very early on Cuma tweeted the usual anti-GB BS. Tyler, how about you actually worry about playing in/making the league instead of ranting as I'm sure this lockout/negotiation will greatly affect you and the 50 career NHL games you might end up playing...

Old
11-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

A lot of these players are turning out to be tools. Its real easy to see who are the smart ones during this entire thing.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:54 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Dunno if you guys saw this or not...

But the NHLPA is working on their "presentation" for tomorrow.

No, they aren't working on their "proposal". They are working on their "presentation".

I bet this time, there will be different PowerPoint animations! Or better yet! This one won't be printed on one sheet of paper, instead, they will project it! And when they "present" their 2nd proposal, it will be the same powerpoint presentation, but named differently, with page 2 ahead of page 1!

/awesomeSauce

Old
11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Greedy players rabble rabble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
That's no excuse for not bringing any offer or supporting evidence for months and months. I prepare for and negotiated better as a freshman in high school.

The only word for the players is childish.

They had reasonable positions that they tossed away because they are idiots.
You mean the suits representing the players?

It's easy to see players are also getting fed-up with the antics happening between the PA and NHL - Just remember back to that article about players questioning Fehr during the conference call.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I guess I don't see how some players who aren't doing anything else while locked out getting together to play a charity game somehow implies they aren't "greedy." The fact that they're playing in a game to try get other people to donate instead of just donating their own money might imply the exact opposite of your intent. At best I'd say it's completely meaningless on that point.

Quote:
You mean the suits representing the players?

It's easy to see players are also getting fed-up with the antics happening between the PA and NHL - Just remember back to that article about players questioning Fehr during the conference call.
Sounds like there is starting to be some dissent within the PA, but it also sounds like that's the exception rather than the rule. There's still dozens of extremely vocal players continuing to support and advocate for this behavior. It certainly appears this is a case of 95% of the players making the other 5% look bad.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Steve Montador, a member of the NHLPA's negotiating committee, said via e-mail that "we are considering a proposal but nothing is definite."

Old
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

That gif is perfect for that. Works every time. Boy, these girls need to get it together.

Closed Thread