HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

[MIA / TOR] Big Blockbuster (Reyes, Johnson, Buerhle to TOR)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2012, 11:26 AM
  #401
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
The 2011 Reyes is the abnormality. He has been nothing but an egima his entire career.

a greedy an selfish one too.
Weird how Mets fans still like him, like he played well there or something...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:48 AM
  #402
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Weird how Mets fans still like him, like he played well there or something...
I had nothing against him going for his payday, but I said all of 2011 to trade him or let him walk. Hes not worth half the contract he got.

The personal dislike for him came when he pulled himself out of game 162, in front of the home fans, knowing it was going to be his last game as a Met. All so he can selfishly win a batting title and boost his FA value.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:35 PM
  #403
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I had nothing against him going for his payday, but I said all of 2011 to trade him or let him walk. Hes not worth half the contract he got.

The personal dislike for him came when he pulled himself out of game 162, in front of the home fans, knowing it was going to be his last game as a Met. All so he can selfishly win a batting title and boost his FA value.
Yes because the extra .10 in batting percentage would have given him so much more cash at free agency. It was purely for the batting title. Cabrera did the same this year.


Last edited by Everlong: 11-17-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:59 PM
  #404
Leo Getz
Registered User
 
Leo Getz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
he's done so in the past, which was why he ended up on mine.
I personally get a kick out of hearing how amazing the White Sox are even while they are pissing away a terrible division.

I think Martini was the real winner in this trade.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:56 PM
  #405
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Yes because the extra .10 in batting percentage would have given him so much more cash at free agency. It was purely for the batting title. Cabrera did the same this year.
At least Cabrera got a triple crown out of it. It also wasn't his last game as a Tiger. Reyes knew he was leaving and dipped from the game in the first inning (after a bunt hit no less.. freakin bush league).

Slap in the face to the fans.

Good riddance hes gone. Truly was thrilled the Mets didn't pay him.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  #406
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Yes because the extra .10 in batting percentage would have given him so much more cash at free agency. It was purely for the batting title. Cabrera did the same this year.
Cabrera was not at risk of losing the batting title when he left the game. There was no point in having him risk injury right before the playoffs.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
  #407
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
As good as this deal looks for the Jays, I would think it is worth pointing out that it all depends on which version of Reyes and Johnson shows up. If it's the 2012 Reyes (2.8 WAR) and Johnson (3.2 WAR), it really isn't much of an upgrade over Yunel Escobar and whoever else the Jays would have had in the rotation. But if the 2011 Reyes and 2010 Johnson show up, the Jays might be the favorites in the AL East. OK, maybe not the favorites, but at least a good bet for a playoff spot.
I heard the same thing when they got Burnett, Glaus, Ryan, Thomas, etc. I'll believe it when I see it. Rays and Yankees are miles ahead of everyone else as of now imo. Jays could battle Orioles for the extra wildcard spot.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
  #408
Better Call Saul
Registered User
 
Better Call Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,321
vCash: 500
The Yankees aren't that good right now. They only have one dependable starting pitcher, a giant hole in rightfield, no catcher, a shaky bullpen and a banged-up Jeter, among other problems. Obviously at least some of those issues will be solved come April, but they'll have their share of flaws. Barring an unexpectedly productive winter - which is unlikely given their new payroll-slashing ways - I doubt they'll be slam-dunk favorites come springtime.

If their "big" offseason moves are along the lines of trading for, say, Ricky Nolasco (whom they're rumored to be in on despite his total ineptitude in the NL), re-signing Ichiro and Martin, and making some cheap bench and bullpen acquisitions, they'll look as vulnerable as they have in a long time.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
  #409
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I heard the same thing when they got Burnett, Glaus, Ryan, Thomas, etc. I'll believe it when I see it. Rays and Yankees are miles ahead of everyone else as of now imo. Jays could battle Orioles for the extra wildcard spot.
The Yankees might still be contenders in the AL East even if they don't make any major moves. However if Tampa Bay keeps lossing their key players to free agency because they can't afford to re-sign them, how long can they keep contending with players from their minor league system?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
  #410
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan
 
Swervin81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,905
vCash: 500
Dear MLB:



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
http://web.stagram.com/n/lamelaza_7/

Does anyone speak Spanish? I think this is Jose Reyes' instagram account and he has some comments in Spanish regarding the Blue Jays
Wait a minute, are those chairs seriously plastic-wrapped?

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
  #411
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 181,058
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/stat...17835460501505
Quote:
Selig OK'd #Marlins #Bluejays trade.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
  #412
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,470
vCash: 597
Beaten by ix, ugh.

Blue Jays need to have a monster PC to introduce all of 'em.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
  #413
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Beaten by ix, ugh.

Blue Jays need to have a monster PC to introduce all of 'em.
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409853

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
  #414
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Thankfully Selig made the right call to approve this trade and we don't need to worry about it anymore.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
  #415
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I had nothing against him going for his payday, but I said all of 2011 to trade him or let him walk. Hes not worth half the contract he got.

The personal dislike for him came when he pulled himself out of game 162, in front of the home fans, knowing it was going to be his last game as a Met. All so he can selfishly win a batting title and boost his FA value.
Sour grapes much?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
  #416
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Sour grapes much?
Believe me, not one bit.

I wanted him gone in the midst of 2011 when he was hitting .350.

Its not a coincidence that his best year was in his walk season.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
  #417
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Believe me, not one bit.

I wanted him gone in the midst of 2011 when he was hitting .350.

Its not a coincidence that his best year was in his walk season.
Can you expain to me the logic in wanting him gone in the midst of 2011? An elite leadoff hitter who can steal 40 who was in the midst of a great season?

You said in the earlier post that it was him pulling himself from game 162 so he could win the batting title and up his free agent value. Was game 162 a must win? I highly doubt it was about the money, how much difference would a few points in the average make?

Not to mention I've seen more then one interview where Reyes stated that the Mets didn't even offer him a contract. How could he have known at that time that he wouldn't be offered a contract? Why wouldn't the Mets at least offer him a 'hometown discount' contract and see if NY was where he wanted to be? I read somewhere that he lived in Manhasset - my fiancé is from that area and I can't think of too many more appealing places to live in the entire world.

He's worth the money for the Jays because we haven't had a real leadoff hitter in a long time. We have one of the best 3-4 combos in the league, but 1-2 needed work. Reyes will lead off, and Bonifacio/Melky Cabrera are two very viable options in the 2 hole.

That kind of money is the cost of doing business when dealing with that calibre of player.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
  #418
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Can you expain to me the logic in wanting him gone in the midst of 2011? An elite leadoff hitter who can steal 40 who was in the midst of a great season?

You said in the earlier post that it was him pulling himself from game 162 so he could win the batting title and up his free agent value. Was game 162 a must win? I highly doubt it was about the money, how much difference would a few points in the average make?

Not to mention I've seen more then one interview where Reyes stated that the Mets didn't even offer him a contract. How could he have known at that time that he wouldn't be offered a contract? Why wouldn't the Mets at least offer him a 'hometown discount' contract and see if NY was where he wanted to be? I read somewhere that he lived in Manhasset - my fiancé is from that area and I can't think of too many more appealing places to live in the entire world.

He's worth the money for the Jays because we haven't had a real leadoff hitter in a long time. We have one of the best 3-4 combos in the league, but 1-2 needed work. Reyes will lead off, and Bonifacio/Melky Cabrera are two very viable options in the 2 hole.

That kind of money is the cost of doing business when dealing with that calibre of player.
I can't speak for Fire Sather (or for Mets fans, since I grew up 10 minutes from Yankee Stadium,) but if you look at Reyes' numbers he just hasn't been that great throughout his career. In 10 seasons, he's missed 20+ games 5 times. He's hit .300 just three times (and one of those seasons he had only 290 PA.) Watching him play, he still makes mental mistakes that you'd expect from a rookie.

Reyes is undeniably electric when he's hot, but he's not worth 5 years $92 million. And when he loses it, he's likely to fall apart quickly (that's a risk of having a speed player on artificial turf.)

That's all well and good if Toronto is willing to have a $150 million+ payroll, and use Reyes as a very expensive secondary piece. But if they try to build around him because of his contract -- as they tried to do with Vernon Wells not so long ago -- they'll regret it.

Will be interesting to watch the AL East over the next 2 years, while the Yankees re-tool and Boston full-on rebuilds.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
  #419
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
The Yankees aren't that good right now. They only have one dependable starting pitcher, a giant hole in rightfield, no catcher, a shaky bullpen and a banged-up Jeter, among other problems. Obviously at least some of those issues will be solved come April, but they'll have their share of flaws. Barring an unexpectedly productive winter - which is unlikely given their new payroll-slashing ways - I doubt they'll be slam-dunk favorites come springtime.

If their "big" offseason moves are along the lines of trading for, say, Ricky Nolasco (whom they're rumored to be in on despite his total ineptitude in the NL), re-signing Ichiro and Martin, and making some cheap bench and bullpen acquisitions, they'll look as vulnerable as they have in a long time.
It's definitely too early to panic about the Yankees. There's been (justifiably) a lot of focus on their playoff meltdown, but you can't forget the 162 games that came before it -- the Yankees were seemingly more vulnerable than ever last year, and they still ended up with the best record in the AL.

If they fail to bring back both Pettitte and Kuroda, then I'll be seriously concerned. But, given the job that Brian Cashman has done throughout his career, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until July, much less November.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
  #420
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,557
vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Thankfully Selig made the right call to approve this trade and we don't need to worry about it anymore.
he had no choice. There were several op ed pieces that clearly laid out that in the last 5 years there have been a few trades like this one and no one said boo about them. Some west coast media suggested that it was the Yankees and Red Sox who were pressuring a trade veto

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
  #421
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he had no choice. There were several op ed pieces that clearly laid out that in the last 5 years there have been a few trades like this one and no one said boo about them. Some west coast media suggested that it was the Yankees and Red Sox who were pressuring a trade veto

Yup, Selig's hands were tied.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:53 AM
  #422
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he had no choice. There were several op ed pieces that clearly laid out that in the last 5 years there have been a few trades like this one and no one said boo about them. Some west coast media suggested that it was the Yankees and Red Sox who were pressuring a trade veto
I find it hard to believe that the Yankees and Red Sox -- the two teams most likely to benefit from this type of massive salary dump in the future -- would be shortsighted enough to try and set a precedent blocking it.

I think that Bud just wanted to make it look like he was trying, so he has some defense against small market fans.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:26 AM
  #423
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I find it hard to believe that the Yankees and Red Sox -- the two teams most likely to benefit from this type of massive salary dump in the future -- would be shortsighted enough to try and set a precedent blocking it.

I think that Bud just wanted to make it look like he was trying, so he has some defense against small market fans.
Says the Jets fan.

The Yankees also have much tougher competition with 3 all stars added to the division.. Especially considering guys like Jeter and A fraud have very limited time left. The Yankees are an old team, and it just got harder for them..


I doubt that was the reason for the delay, but it wouldn't suprise me if they tried to influence Selig in some way....

A lot classier organizations have tried to intervene or influence in divisional opponents transactions (eg Holland trying to block the Radulov move to Nashville)

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
  #424
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Some west coast media suggested that it was the Yankees and Red Sox who were pressuring a trade veto
If that's true it shows how both are hypocrites. How many times have they been able to make major tardes or sign the top free agents. However let's say another MLB wanted to make a similar fire sale as the Marlins then at least they have this trade to go by which was allowed.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
  #425
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I find it hard to believe that the Yankees and Red Sox -- the two teams most likely to benefit from this type of massive salary dump in the future -- would be shortsighted enough to try and set a precedent blocking it.

I think that Bud just wanted to make it look like he was trying, so he has some defense against small market fans.
Where was Bud when the Red Sox/Dodgers made that major trade?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.