HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Peter Regin

Old
11-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Where does he fit in on the Sens though? Spezza-Turris-Smith is a solid top 3 center combo, do you play him on the 4th or out of position?
He played his best hockey on the wing alongside Spezza and Alfie

Was our best player in the playoffs against Pittsburgh in '10 playing LW

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:26 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Out of curiousity, who does Ottawa value more, Smith or Regin? I wouldn't mind seeing either as our 3C.
Smith is valued more and is the type of 3rd line center you seek; big, tough, Pk and face offs.

Regin is smart and hardworking defensively, but not imposing, a pk'er or good on face offs. He's also produced very poorly offensive on cycling, grinder lines (though Winny wasn't exactly an offensive dynamo).

Regin has worked very well offensive with Spezza or Kovalev, putting up near ppg streaks for 5-10 games at a time. Imo, his greatest value is to a team with a star looking for a big chemistry bump to increase their scoring. Something of a Todd White looking for an Alfie or a.Kovalchuk to develop chemistry with and help a developing team make a productive 1st line for a couple of seasons. Unless he can't stay healthy, then that's all moot.

Last edited by trentmccleary: 11-19-2012 at 06:47 PM.
trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:36 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Regin is an elite 3rd liner who obviously doesn't hold that kind of value.
I'm not entirely sure I get what you mean. He certainly isn't an elite third liner that's for sure. Like Jordan Staal was an elite "third liner" for example...one of the better shutdown centers in the league who also provided significant offense. I'm not sure what Regin has done of any significance in a third line role to call it elite so I'm going to guess you meant more along the line of a third liner who has the ability to play a top 6 role if needed.

Every team has a player on their third line exactly like Regin...someone with the potential to play a more featured role but for whatever reason they aren't. There's nothing elite about that.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Ballard truly is an awful defenseman. No freakin way. He has negative value.

Regin is an elite 3rd liner who obviously doesn't hold that kind of value. He aint going anywhere

this
Is there such thing as an elite 3rd liner? lol

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Staal and that's because he played behind Crosby and Malkin.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:07 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Why do people keep calling Gonchars' contract bad? Yes we gave him one year over what we would've liked, but we also wouldn't have gotten him without doing so.

Actual production vs salary, then yea, hes probably overpaid by like 1-1.5 million, but theres more to it then that. He brings leadership and has been a good mentor for many of our players. Ive read numerous times about Karlsson praising Gonchar for helping him.

And lets face it, you're not going to get a discount on a future hall of famer at the end of his career if its not in his hometown or the place he has played his whole career.

He doesnt have negative value imo, which I would equate to a bad contract. If there was a season, and Murray was to put Gonchar on the block, I would bet a good handful of teams wouldnt think twice about taking on his contract.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
He played his best hockey on the wing alongside Spezza and Alfie

Was our best player in the playoffs against Pittsburgh in '10 playing LW
Funny how playing with elite talents like Speeza/Alfie tends to make just okay players like Regin look a lot better then they are.

Regin was not the best player in that series or even close to it. He was just the pleasent surprise of that series.

Ever since that series Regin has been vastly overrated. In that series which was a small sample size of only 6 games Regin scored on over 25% of his shots. Good luck that he'll come anywhere close to that percentage again.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
If there is Regin isn't it.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Funny how playing with elite talents like Speeza/Alfie tends to make just okay players like Regin look a lot better then they are.

Regin was not the best player in that series or even close to it. He was just the pleasent surprise of that series.

Ever since that series Regin has been vastly overrated. In that series which was a small sample size of only 6 games Regin scored on over 25% of his shots. Good luck that he'll come anywhere close to that percentage again.
I don't think it's fair to peg Regin as overrated. For the most part he's neglected or forgotten.

You were correct in calling him a pleasant surprise in that series. Since then, Sens fans have been waiting to see if he can match his performance but he hasn't really had a chance, mostly because of injuries.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:45 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

Last 49 games of 2010, 6 playoff games and first 18 games of 2011; he had 39 points in a 73 game stretch. He was a 23 yo rookie for most of it rotating around the 1st, 2nd and 4th lines through that entire stretch. Does it really sound crazy to think that he could become a 50 point a year Todd White if he played with some talent?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Last 49 games of 2010, 6 playoff games and first 18 games of 2011; he had 39 points in a 73 game stretch. He was a 23 yo rookie for most of it rotating around the 1st, 2nd and 4th lines through that entire stretch. Does it really sound crazy to think that he could become a 50 point a year Todd White if he played with some talent?
When I hear terms like he's an elite 3rd line center thrown around, I think that he's being overrated.

It's more correct to say that he has the POTENTIAL to be a good third liner. I don't ever see him being an elite third liner like Bolland or Stoll who really are good enough to be average 2nd line centers but are asked to play more of a 3rd line shutdown type role.

I see Regin more likely to pan out to be a soft tweener winger who can pot 40 or possibly 50 points with PP time (if he gets lucky and has great linemates). In my eyes he isn't much different then a guy like Stalberg or Raymond who are 15:00 a night 2nd liners on cheap contracts.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Regin is NOT an elite 3rd liner.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
danyhabsfan

Regin for Diaz (or Weber or Kaberle)

Diaz could play with Phillips or Methot and give you solid defense.
He's playing really well in Europe.

Montreal could use Regin to play with fellow Dane Lars Eller.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Regin is NOT an elite 3rd liner.
Reasonable Ottawa fan is reasonable

Unlike someone else who I had a debate about Regin with...

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

No thanks. Not a fan of Diaz.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
sanityplease

Get what you can for him. There's a truckload of young forwards about to arrive.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

Love Weber - don't see him fitting in well with Ottawa

Don't like Diaz.

Do NOT want any part of Kaberle.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

I'd accept 5 poutines + 2 Beavertails + a conditional case of Moosehead (dependent on if the team makes the playoffs so I can watch him play with some beers in hand).

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:10 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

He was our best player to start the year last year in our worst stretch of the year where he talled 4 points in 10 games and a +3 on the third line with guys like Neil and I forgot.

When healthy, he is a borderline top6e/elite third liner. When on his game, he IS a top 6 winger. Not center. Something that is not said enough about Regin is his spectacular defensive hockey he plays the full 200 ft game which coaches rave about.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote