HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Anything Goes Thread: Let's Do This 4 Real

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
  #1001
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 772
Found out today the cake is loaded with mayo. Sounds gross, but I guess they'd put oil and eggs in anyways. Explains how they make it so moist.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
  #1002
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Nah, they're not going, just us. Still not sure where we're going yet, lots of options thrown out there. NYC, Boston, SF, Hawaii, something in Mexico like Cozumel, the Dominican... Although if we do something like Mexico or the Dominican, I might see if I can push the idea of somewhere like Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aries, Argentina, and go a bit further south


I just got glasses a few months ago, after 20+ years of AWFUL vision... no idea why I waited so long, but it's awesome finally being able to see.
i've spent a bunch of time in both Santiago and Buenos Aires and they are both wonderful cities (in wonderful countries - both Chile and Argentina are worthy of lengthy visits!). If you're thinking about going to S. Am...can you go Sept. - April? Chile and Argentina have big wine regions and that's a fun visit. Argentina is a more versatile trip than Chile is. If you have limited time - i'd tell you to go to BA before Santiago. Keep in mind if you go to BA - you'll be able to fit in at least a day trip to Uruguay.

If you guys go to Mexico - also keep in mind Puerto Vallarta (not good if you want to swim in the ocean) - but PV has good re eco-tourism jump-offs and you can go offsite and explore the area (even in an extended sense) that isn't always easy in mexico.

Cozumel is great - fantastic diving. city-wise you're gravitating back to Cancun and Playa del Carmen -both of which are fine, but not the most versatile.

Dominican? The type of place you'll get to before you die. nothing enticing about the place - if/when you have kids you can all grab an all-incl. there.

When i'm back in the country i'll have to set up an optometrist appt. by the end of the yr. i'll probably have a couple of months w/o travelling and let my eyes settle down. my dr. said that the one test is whether i start to get headaches when reading. and that's not really happening. none of this is a big deal - i don't really care if need glasses. it is what it is.

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 02:21 AM
  #1003
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Cozumel is great - fantastic diving. city-wise you're gravitating back to Cancun and Playa del Carmen -both of which are fine, but not the most versatile.
My girlfriend and I just booked a trip to Playa del Carmen last week. Going in January for a week. All-inclusive, gorgeous resort. Can't wait. Resort's in a nice spot. Right near the town/shops, etc and right by the ferry that takes you to Cozumel. Plan on doing that for a day as well as hitting up Xel-Ha which I cannot wait for. Might try to check out some of the ruins as well. Not to mention just some good ol' boozing and beach time. The rooms have a jacuzzi in them with alcohol dispensers in the jacuzzi. I may never come home! Haven't been to Mexico since Cancun my senior year of high school. As great as that was I anticipate this being much, much better.

Blue Liner is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 02:44 AM
  #1004
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
My girlfriend and I just booked a trip to Playa del Carmen last week. Going in January for a week. All-inclusive, gorgeous resort. Can't wait. Resort's in a nice spot. Right near the town/shops, etc and right by the ferry that takes you to Cozumel. Plan on doing that for a day as well as hitting up Xel-Ha which I cannot wait for. Might try to check out some of the ruins as well. Not to mention just some good ol' boozing and beach time. The rooms have a jacuzzi in them with alcohol dispensers in the jacuzzi. I may never come home! Haven't been to Mexico since Cancun my senior year of high school. As great as that was I anticipate this being much, much better.
it will be a great trip for you. mexico is a wonderful place to visit - i've spent a lot of time there and i love.

if you're in playa i'd definitely suggest booking at least half a day at tulum (and bring your swim suits b/c as busy as it is, you can pick your peaceful spots - the great thing about tulum is that there's a small beach where, if you wander in, the footing is totally soft sand and the water's blue and calm).

i don't know if the will work well b/c i'm trying to post right back from facebook...

but here's a photo from the little beach my sister and i found at tulum. such a great spot!



glorious!

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 02:59 AM
  #1005
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Nah, they're not going, just us. Still not sure where we're going yet, lots of options thrown out there. NYC, Boston, SF, Hawaii, something in Mexico like Cozumel, the Dominican... Although if we do something like Mexico or the Dominican, I might see if I can push the idea of somewhere like Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aries, Argentina, and go a bit further south


I just got glasses a few months ago, after 20+ years of AWFUL vision... no idea why I waited so long, but it's awesome finally being able to see.
i just figured out i can post my vacay photos straight from fb to here. so here are a few from chile/argentina. definitely thing about going there.

also...peru is fantastic as well.

if you have the $ to put down i'd also think about going to the galapagos/ecuador (i haven't done that yet).

if you guys have more time give serious consideration to going to south east asia (vietnam, thailand, cambodia)...much more of a hike...but better to go there when you have freedom!

china and tibet are also interesting. i spent two weeks doing the adventure tourism stuff in costa rica...exciting!

don't use this trip opportunity to go somewhere that you could put down the $2,500 for yourself ... now is the time to do something interesting!

any how...

santiago and part of the chilean wine region (this is from '07)







a few very crooked photos from buenos aires












UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
  #1006
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 53,701
vCash: 50
UNWT, photos look great and thanks for the response.

Right now, she honestly has no idea what she wants to do. As much as I'd love to do something in SA, I don't see it happening on this trip. Right now I think a San Fran & Seattle combo trip is in the lead for what we'll actually do, but that could change any minute. I think what I'm going to try and float by is maybe flying out to SF, stay a few days, rent a car and drive to Portland, stay a night or two, and then drive up to Seattle. Total driving time won't be too bad, ~13 hours (without traffic) total, and I'm sure the scenery would be great.

RayP is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 10:14 AM
  #1007
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Yeah, I only drove on the California portion of the Pacific Coast Highway but it is pretty amazing, a must if that is what you are going to do. I don't know about the 13 hours though. I'd just drive 3 hours and back in Cali but I'm sure the rest of it is pretty awesome too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 10:26 AM
  #1008
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 53,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, I only drove on the California portion of the Pacific Coast Highway but it is pretty amazing, a must if that is what you are going to do. I don't know about the 13 hours though. I'd just drive 3 hours and back in Cali but I'm sure the rest of it is pretty awesome too.
13 hours split up over 2-3 days... so it wouldn't be that bad, especially since we'd be making a bunch of stops along the way. Neither of us have ever been out to CA, so the scenery alone should keep us busy for hours on end.

RayP is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 10:46 AM
  #1009
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
13 hours split up over 2-3 days... so it wouldn't be that bad, especially since we'd be making a bunch of stops along the way. Neither of us have ever been out to CA, so the scenery alone should keep us busy for hours on end.
Ok, gotcha, yeah, if you are going to be making extended stops then go for the whole thing. You'll love the scenery, I've been lucky to have been to a lot of places around the world and honestly that drive is right at the top with anything else. The redwood trees are amazing too, if I went back, I would want to walk through a prehistoric forest. There are a bunch of winding roads on cliffsides so you get a birds eye view of the ocean and beach. There are lighthouses you can go up in, great places to walk or hike and obviously great places to visit too. The Santa Cruz boardwalk was pretty cool. I wish I had more time to explore the coast, would love to get back there.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
  #1010
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 53,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Ok, gotcha, yeah, if you are going to be making extended stops then go for the whole thing. You'll love the scenery, I've been lucky to have been to a lot of places around the world and honestly that drive is right at the top with anything else. The redwood trees are amazing too, if I went back, I would want to walk through a prehistoric forest. There are a bunch of winding roads on cliffsides so you get a birds eye view of the ocean and beach. There are lighthouses you can go up in, great places to walk or hike and obviously great places to visit too. The Santa Cruz boardwalk was pretty cool. I wish I had more time to explore the coast, would love to get back there.

Sounds awesome. Only place out west I've been to is Scottsdale for some golf and a Diamondbacks game. Went to San Antonio for a Final Four once too, but we pretty much never left the stadium area and hotel to really explore and enjoy the city for what it is.

RayP is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
  #1011
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
Been to Mexico nine times, the Dominican, and the Bahamas (specifically the Atlantis) twice. All awesome places. Not really the biggest fan of going into town, but I had plenty of fun on the resort.

Biggest thing to know for all you people going to all-inclusives: book your on-resort dinner reservations right when you get there. If you're there a week, you usually only get to eat at the restaurants (things like an Italian, Cajun, Brazilian) four of the seven days. The other three are dedicated to eating at the main food restaurant open to everyone.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 11:28 AM
  #1012
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Atlantis is that big fancy casino right? You stayed there, wow, I checked it out on a cruise but I have to imagine that was a great place to stay.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 11:32 AM
  #1013
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Atlantis is that big fancy casino right? You stayed there, wow, I checked it out on a cruise but I have to imagine that was a great place to stay.
Yes, but I didn't stay on the resort.

There is a hotel within easy walking distance that gives you full access to everything but obviously the hotel. It saved us $400 a night, and we stayed there a week. A little walk is worth saving $2,800, especially when you take into consideration the cheapest food deal was an $8 burger.

The trip wound up to be right around the same as a trip to Mexico or the Dominican.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 12:33 PM
  #1014
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 21,708
vCash: 1
I've been to Windsor, Ontario for about a half hour and New Zealand for three+ weeks.

Guess which trip was more memorable.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
  #1015
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 53,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I've been to Windsor, Ontario for about a half hour and New Zealand for three+ weeks.

Guess which trip was more memorable.
Me and my buddies when we were 19 & 20, while I was still living in Chicago, would take weekend trips to Windsor and stay at a Days Inn that had the jail cell bars over the windows of out "hotel room." Even the non-smoking rooms smelt like a smoker had lived in there for 20+ years without ever washing their sheets. IIRC, rooms were like $35-40 a night, even on the weekend.... But hey, when you're not 21 yet... and a 4-5 hour drive away are casinos and bars you can legally get into, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Only thing that did suck about those trips, was that beers even inside the casino were like $4.

One of those trips I hate like a 3 pound burger at some ****** bar, for a free t-shirt (which was a Bud Light t-shirt in French) and what I'm pretty sure was a previously worn hat. Totally worth it.

RayP is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 12:48 PM
  #1016
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Found a chinese place by my work, got a large shrimp lo mein (I think?). I usually always get shrimp chow fun but amazingly they didn't sell it at this one. Nevertheless, what I got is pretty good and the container for this stuff is freaking huge, must be a good 5 pounds. I was planning on eating it today and leaving it in the fridge for tomorrows lunch but there is so much, this is gonna end up being a huge dinner for me and girl on top of the two lunches. 10 bucks, what a steal.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
  #1017
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Found out today the cake is loaded with mayo. Sounds gross, but I guess they'd put oil and eggs in anyways. Explains how they make it so moist.
Brilliantly devious of them. I hate mayo, but I know a lot of foods I can't stand alone can become fantastic ingredients. I keep hearing about this Portillo's Cake Shake.

deytookerjaabs is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
  #1018
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Brilliantly devious of them. I hate mayo, but I know a lot of foods I can't stand alone can become fantastic ingredients. I keep hearing about this Portillo's Cake Shake.
DUDE, GO GET ONE ASAP. That thing is ****ing amazing. I have a Portillos about 10 min down the road and I go there JUST to get the shake. It's huge, only like 3 bucks and change and my God is that thing ****ing awesome.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
  #1019
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,054
vCash: 500
Family is having ham steaks tonight, which means I'm either getting Lucky's or Maxwell Street. Decisions...

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:16 PM
  #1020
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 772
The cake shake is simply incredible. Words can't describe it. Saying it's like drinking chocolate cake doesn't do it justice.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
  #1021
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
I have had the normal chocolate cake but not the cake shake.

Is it a chocolate cake shake? If so, next time I go there, I am getting a bacon cheeseburger, a double hot dog, and one of those things.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
  #1022
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I have had the normal chocolate cake but not the cake shake.

Is it a chocolate cake shake? If so, next time I go there, I am getting a bacon cheeseburger, a double hot dog, and one of those things.
Yes, it is a chocolate cake shake, that's what I always tell them when I order it. I don't know if they have a white or yellow one but the chocolate cake shake is the one I always get. Yeah, if you are getting the large, just get like 1 regular hot dog to go with it. The small is the better option if you are going to eat a lot.

Funny thing is, I've always heard about Portillo's cake but never have had it. But I have had myself a good 5 or 6 chocolate cake shakes and while I am sure the cake is pretty awesome, I prefer my Portillos cake in shake form, straw, no fork.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
  #1023
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
Alright. I'll get a small to try it out.

I have a tapeworm when I eat. Just got done eating Jimmy John's and am ready to snack.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
  #1024
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Yeah, it's just that it's so rich. After a meal and a large chocolate cake shake, I'm laying on the damn couch for the night.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
11-20-2012, 04:38 PM
  #1025
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
it will be a great trip for you. mexico is a wonderful place to visit - i've spent a lot of time there and i love.

if you're in playa i'd definitely suggest booking at least half a day at tulum (and bring your swim suits b/c as busy as it is, you can pick your peaceful spots - the great thing about tulum is that there's a small beach where, if you wander in, the footing is totally soft sand and the water's blue and calm).

i don't know if the will work well b/c i'm trying to post right back from facebook...

but here's a photo from the little beach my sister and i found at tulum. such a great spot!



glorious!
Appreciate the suggestion. That looks indeed glorious!

Blue Liner is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.