HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Loh is a former Iowa guy, so I instantly smell a rat. Follow the money.

Why was this kept under the table, and did the Regents have enough time to study this properly before voting on it?

Sports, ticket sales, and money, are rooted in rivalries. We now have none. Sure some old schoolers remember losing to Penn State every year before they boycotted us, but I bet we dont even get to play Penn State often at all. We will play all the loser teams. Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana.

Would you pay more money to see the Caps play a lame duck division game, or pay more to see one of our old Patrick Division rivals?

I guarantee the board did not hear that side of it. They were sold by hearing Michigan and Nebraska showing up in Byrd would sell out the place, only it still won't be sold out. Book it.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I am neutral an UMDs decision to leave the ACC. Primarily because, IMO, the ACC stopped being the ACC I grew up with when Swofford and friends added BC, VA Tech, and The U and tried to turn the ACC into a football power conference and failed miserably.

ACC was at its best as a basketball power. And UMD playing Duke twice a year in basketball was must see TV for me. Now UMD might not play Duke every year with the addition of Pitt and 'cuse.

So why shouldn't UMD leave? The Big10 has its own network, ACC has a deal with ESPN. The Big10 IS a top flight conference in BOTH football and basketball, the ACC is on the verge of being a bloated joke.

Will just have to see how things shake out.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Um...wont they get like $7+ million a year right of the bat for TV contracts in the Big 10?

It would be stupid to stay in a dying conference just to stick with tradition at this point. The ACC really sucks when you look at it as a whole, aside from a few good to ok basketball teams.

Im not really sure what the uproar is about.
ACC is a quality conference for most sports, just not football. And it is, easily, the best basketball conference now that Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh are moving to the ACC.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I read that the Big 10 revenue will increase by an estimated $2.9M per school, per year with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, based on increased Big 10 network subscriptions alone.

This is all about money from Maryland's perspective, and all about getting into the DC and NY TV markets from the Big 10's perspective.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Well, reading the dollars, they're still going to fall short of breaking even.

I'm pissed from a lacrosse/soccer perspective.

But from a revenue perspective, they're going to do better than they would in the ACC. That's the simple matter.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm pissed from a football perspective. As a Clemson alum, it was nice to be able to drive 20-30 minutes to watch my team play every other year.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:40 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Loh is a former Iowa guy, so I instantly smell a rat. Follow the money.

Why was this kept under the table, and did the Regents have enough time to study this properly before voting on it?

Sports, ticket sales, and money, are rooted in rivalries. We now have none. Sure some old schoolers remember losing to Penn State every year before they boycotted us, but I bet we dont even get to play Penn State often at all. We will play all the loser teams. Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana.

Would you pay more money to see the Caps play a lame duck division game, or pay more to see one of our old Patrick Division rivals?

I guarantee the board did not hear that side of it. They were sold by hearing Michigan and Nebraska showing up in Byrd would sell out the place, only it still won't be sold out. Book it.
Irrational hatred aside...

Barring some crazy realignment moves, they're either going to be in a division with Penn State/Ohio State or Michigan/Nebraska. They will be playing some form of the "top dogs" each year based upon the division. Also, Wisconsin has become a close to a mainstay in the top 25, and Nortwestern has been improving as a program and has been in the top 25 the past two years at some point. Hell, the same thing can be said about Rutgers except they're maintaing the top 25 ranking better.

It's better conference for football and on par with the ACC in basketball recently, and they will get more money out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
ACC is a quality conference for most sports, just not football. And it is, easily, the best basketball conference now that Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh are moving to the ACC.
That is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by LetsGoBears: 11-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 03:03 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Big 10 is a great conference. The only good thing about this for me is being able to go to a Wisconsin football game every 2-3 years and a basketball game every year without getting on a plane.

You have to look at this from the AAU perspective, the money around academics and research and fit with other land-grant universities.

As a local kid, I LOVED the ACC growing up. Nothing better than the league in the 1970's and 80's. However, it isn't the same today. As the game of musical chairs towards 4 16 team leagues come into focus, the smart play is for schools to find their best fit.

Look for 2 of UVa, UNC and GaTech to join in after Rutgers is announced tomorrow.

So for the real question....will there be a Terp Ice Hockey team in the near future????

Old
11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

UNC is not going anywhere. Their people run the ACC.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

It was just mentioned on 980 that Gary Williams is supportive of the move to the Big10. Mentioned that money received from Big10 network will offset UMDs recent problem with not selling out home games for football and basketball. Also, fans of Big10 schools travel well and will buy tickets not bought by UMD fans for UMD home games. Win/win for UMD according to Williams.

If Gary Williams is behind it it's good enough for me.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

SI reporting they project to make 100+ over the next 5-7 on tv alone.

That's absurd and the real reason they're doing it

Old
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
That is a bit of a stretch.
How so? The only conference with better ranked teams in NCAA basketball right now is the Big 10. But the Big 10 hasn't won a national championship since Michigan State in 2000. The ACC has won five since then. The Big East and SEC each have won three, but one of those Big East winners (Syracuse) is jumping ship to the ACC.

Current AP basketball rankings:
#5 Duke
#6 Syracuse (joining)
#9 UNC
#16 NC State
ARV - Pitt (joining)
ARV - Notre Dame (joining)
ARV - Maryland (leaving)

Current Soccer rankings:
#2 UMD (leaving)
#3 Notre Dame (joining)
#5 UNC
#14 Wake Forest
ARV - UVA

End of last season lacrosse rankings:
#2 UMD (leaving)
#3 Notre Dame (joining)
#4 Duke
#5 UVA
#11 UNC
#14 Syracuse (joining)

End of last season baseball rankings:
#3 FSU
#5 UNC
#15 UVA
#16 NC State
#21 Miami
#24 Georgia Tech

It's a strong all-around conference. Just because it gets knocked around in football doesn't mean the other sports are weak.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
The Big 10 only wanted us for our basketball resume.

The 2002 NCAA Champions are coming to Iowa! Woh probably is creaming his pants of hooking up his former school, and collecting somehow.

It is speculative at best to be sure we will make more money from this. We are starting 50M in the hole. I dont see us getting any more A1 recruits in football and basketball. LAX is going to lose good players.

If they think Indiana fans are going to make the trek to fill up Byrd they are wrong. Maybe Penn State fans will take over and embarrass us like 20 years ago. Home Fans wont like the experience and wont want to go, and may have a bitter taste from this.

If we cant build a strong football program, it doesn't matter what conference we are in, sports will lose money.

How do all the other schools survive being in debt. Woh LLC is chasing a pipe dream thinking this will save MD, and that MD even needs to be saved. What is his salary anyways? I bet we could save a cool million real quick sending him back to corn country.

Rest assured Gary was hired to go out and hit the media circuit stamping his approval. Why else would he bother to go on the live set of Comcast, if he isnt getting paid.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Atlas

My main man RH! That was a sweet, sweet rant! One of your best!

I *love* the move to the Big 10. I think it will prove to be brilliant but, of course, it's impossible to be sure.

The ACC is a big, misintegrated mess. The basketball Terps are never gonna get justice out of the NC schools who run the ACC. The Terps could win 5 NCAA Championships in a row and it'd still all about Duke and UNC. All the other teams are the patsies.

The football schedule is a mess, too. It just doesn't make sense year to year. Too many teams in the ACC. Miami is in NCAA Jail most years. BC? It never made sense.

Terps definitely suck. But playing Ohio State and Michigan might really help them to recruit guys.

I'm very happy to escape the ACC. We'll see if they can do anything with the opportunity.

Happy Holidays!

Old
11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Capitlols

Beal can't make wide open jump shots.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Cush
-inator

0 - 9

Old
11-20-2012, 12:02 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
0 - 9
Actually watched that game dvr delayed. I'm a masochist.

11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

They stink.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
They stink.
Yet it'll take a whole lot more stinking before Leonsis does a damn thing.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yup. Doubt Ted fires Ernie after having just extended him.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Ted has owned the team for about 15 years. We've seen plenty to confirm that the Caps will never win the Cup with Ted as the owner. His method is all wrong.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Ted has owned the team for about 15 years. We've seen plenty to confirm that the Caps will never win the Cup with Ted as the owner. His method is all wrong.
You are aware that Jacobs bought the B's in '75 right...?

Old
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Actually watched that game dvr delayed. I'm a masochist.
They didn't give you an option, like or waterboarding.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

The more I think it over the more I am in favor of UMD moving to the Big10. UMD has been relogated to 2nd or 3rd tier status in the ACC for a while now. The Camron Crazy chant "Not our rival" sums UMD's status in the ACC perfectly. UMD has become an after thought. And with the addition of Pitt and 'Cuse things will only get worse for UMD.

One possible gold mine for UMD that I haven't read anywhere yet is getting players that would of signed with PSU prior to the Sanduscky scandal. UMD in the Big10 can pick up some of those players. And UMD just getting a handful of players like that could make a huge difference.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You are aware that Jacobs bought the B's in '75 right...?
I'm not sure I understand you. I think you are saying it can take a long time even under solid ownership? If that's your point then I definitely agree. There is no guarantee of winning and even fools luck into a championship from time to time.

But in the main, excellence is rewarded. The Caps are not a championship level franchise, having a good crack at it every year. That's on Leonsis. The Ravens are always good. They shouldve won multiple SB's with that D. Billick shouldve been canned much sooner. The Pats are always good. The Wings are always good. It's hard to do. It's starts at the top.

Closed Thread