HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
canucksPK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I guess he just had a cold streak for points. It's not like he'll ever be a huge point scorer like Crosby or Stamkos etc. Also to my knowledge, he hasn't been bad or anything, can't always score. Barkov is now 5th in points, just four points behind the leader.
IDK about that, being over a ppg in the FEL as a draft eligible player is ridiculous, maybe not >100 points.. but I think he has the talent to be a 90 pt guy, and I don't throw around 90pts lightly.. hes that good.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Haven't watched recent games from him, does he show any signs of slowing down or fatigue? Since it's already 24 games in, are there really any reasons why his point production would suddenly come to a stop this season? Barring injuries, of course.
Well he have been really good on the games after the break. Of course it can slow down but now in the 4 games after the break Barkov has 3G+3A=6pt it doesen't seem that he has slown down much.

In the discussion how he uses the body. Barkov does use his body without the puck quite often. He doesen't give big hits but he gives hit when they are taking attack against at the neutral zone. He gives pressure and shrinks space from opposite player. If the opposite player doesen't dump in or pass the puck and tries to rush the puck in by skating there is many times in the games that Barkov stops that guy off from puck by hitting so his teammate who is often defenseman can collect the puck for his team. Not big hits but hard enough to stop the attack when opposite player tries to rush the puck in near boards. Barkov plays perfectly positional game without puck so he doesen't want to go out of the position for unnecessary hits. So i disagree that he should be more physical and mean. At the boards and corners his compete is 110% he uses his reach and size to get the puck. He's most common play in the defensive zone is using his size to tie the opposite player into boards so defenseman can pick up the puck. He uses his size very well with and without the puck. Again not flashy big hits but effective simple plays with his body. Watch him closely so you guys will notice it.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
IDK about that, being over a ppg in the FEL as a draft eligible player is ridiculous, maybe not >100 points.. but I think he has the talent to be a 90 pt guy, and I don't throw around 90pts lightly.. hes that good.
A PPG in the SM-liiga is beyond ridiculous. When your scoring at a better clip than nhl vets like Valtteri Flippula and Erik Karlsson your doing something right. I honestly believe Barkov is the best player in the draft, with a bit of a margin. Barkov's size and skill combination makes him a unique type of player, I personally see him as a Getzlaf with better goal scoring ability.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
A PPG in the SM-liiga is beyond ridiculous. When your scoring at a better clip than nhl vets like Valtteri Flippula and Erik Karlsson your doing something right. I honestly believe Barkov is the best player in the draft, with a bit of a margin. Barkov's size and skill combination makes him a unique type of player, I personally see him as a Getzlaf with better goal scoring ability.
If he keeps up his production and has a nice WJC I wouldn't be surprised to see him go first this year.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
If he keeps up his production and has a nice WJC I wouldn't be surprised to see him go first this year.
Columbus definetly deserves 1st overal, but i would't like to see Barkov in Jackets, u know.

Btw, how the lottery go if there is no season? What teams are the most propably first five? Columbus, Anaheim?

Old
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
Columbus definetly deserves 1st overal, but i would't like to see Barkov in Jackets, u know.

Btw, how the lottery go if there is no season? What teams are the most propably first five? Columbus, Anaheim?
As a CBJ fan, I would love to see Barkov in a Jackets sweater. As for the lottery the CBJ have the best chance at #1 with 5 balls (3 of their own and one each from LA and NYR) if they use the same system as last lockout.

3 Balls: Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, Toronto Maple Leafs, NY Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes, Winnipeg Jets (24 total)

2 Balls: Anaheim Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers (10 total)

1 Ball: Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Phoenix Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, Nashville Predators, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, NY Rangers, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals (17 total)

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2012/0...W2MWcDvTB1l.99

Last edited by alphafox: 11-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Fogelhund

Another question if you don't mind. Has Barkov stopped growing? He's only 17 years old, and we've seen some kids continue growing into their twenties. Some sites list him as 6'2", others as 6'3"... has he grown an inch this year... where will he stop?

I hate to sound blasphemous on these boards, but with the type of offensive talent he is displaying against men, with what people are saying about his positioning, good D, use of body, I'd almost rather have that than MacKinnon.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Another question if you don't mind. Has Barkov stopped growing? He's only 17 years old, and we've seen some kids continue growing into their twenties. Some sites list him as 6'2", others as 6'3"... has he grown an inch this year... where will he stop?

I hate to sound blasphemous on these boards, but with the type of offensive talent he is displaying against men, with what people are saying about his positioning, good D, use of body, I'd almost rather have that than MacKinnon.

Yes. He's still growing. 6'3 for sure now.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Tormentor

Craig Button's in depth thoughts about Barkov: NHL Draft Centre Podcast

Old
11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Oan

Button on Barkov:

Hands: 5/5
Competitiveness: 5/5
IQ: 5/5
Skating: 4/5
Shot: 4/5

Overall pretty high praise from Button, he seems to be really impressed, and really believes that it is now a 3-man race for nr. 1

Old
11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
InjuredChoker

IMO he's skating is not as good compared to he's shot. He does have lots of potential to improve it though, he's still young and has grown fast.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Button on Barkov:

Hands: 5/5
Competitiveness: 5/5
IQ: 5/5
Skating: 4/5
Shot: 4/5

Overall pretty high praise from Button, he seems to be really impressed, and really believes that it is now a 3-man race for nr. 1
Button has given 5/5 in so many categories for multiple prospects that it no longer means anything to me. Its pretty hard to compare what he thinks of these guys' skills when they're all supposedly perfect.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:04 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Button has given 5/5 in so many categories for multiple prospects that it no longer means anything to me. Its pretty hard to compare what he thinks of these guys' skills when they're all supposedly perfect.
Well Barkov is not your typical prospect. Playing against NHL players as 17 year old is not something you see everyday.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:42 AM
thomast

Can anyone name is there an player who have been 17 year old for entire season for top european league in similar role as Barkov? Putting over 1PPG, playing 20+minutes per night in all situations. Playing PK, PP. Being simply one of the best players in the league and top player for his senior club? I doubt that there have been any. Barkov is doing hockey history at the time and did it last WJC when he scored as 2nd youngest player ever at that competition and that goal was an game winner in QF. He doesen't have to change his game in any way when he is going to the NHL. Of course there is small adjustments in small rink but his game is already mistakefree and with an veteran presence. Can MacKinnon, Drouin play similar game in the NHL as they do now? Will the tricks work on much smarter experienced physical defenseman? Barkov plays simple and effective game with no big flashes. His game which he plays right now works in NHL too. I'm not arguing who should be #1 i'm just creating an debate here. Button stated that Barkov is now darn close to be NHL-ready and he just turned 17. He also stated that by next October Barkov will be definetly NHL-ready. Impressive if we take his very late born birthday in the discussion.

Team who drafts him gets:

Already ready two-way player who can play in all situations.

He has pro experience and poise like veteran player. His game is pro ready and doesen't have to change thing to be succesful in the NHL. Not much flash but effective.

Already ready NHL-frame and he has about 1 year of time to work on his strength and skating. We saw how he developed his skating and strength in the last summer. He is now good to very good skater and wins clear majority of puck battles against men at FEL. He should add more explosiveness in his skating but it's more than good enough for his style of game. His body type will be Thornton/Ovechkin like strong built no doubt about it. Per SM-league page he is 6'2 and 209lbs as 17 year old. He stated on twitter that he is 6'3. It's interesting to see his measurements now.

His upside and ceiling is very high. Some people might question his upside because of playing simple game but still is able to find himself on the scoresheet. He is doing historical numbers for player of his age in top european league filled with NHL lockout players.

Does he got any major flaws?

He is an special player for sure. So is MacKinnon, Drouin and Jones. But we can't also forget that what Barkov is doing is one of the best pre draft runs ever in europe if not best. It doesen't mean that he will be best ever player from europe by any way but his run is absolutely special.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Oan

Yeah yeah, that's all good and well, but he still lacks that much needed EXPLOSIVENESS and he isn't that DYNAMIC, so MacKinnon and co. will go ahead of him for sure...

^that's what I expect most NA-posters to reply

Old
11-22-2012, 08:05 AM
jarnov

As has been discussed before, Barkov's style resembles that of his father's in many ways. A year ago people talked how he is bad skater, now they are starting to realise he has the same deceptively effective slide his father did.

One of Barkov Senior's best assets was tremendous combination of strength and balance. It was basicly impossible to tackle him down. I remember it happening just once during his 10 year stint in FEL, opponent was Slovak goliath Ivan Majesky. There's a lot of same quality developing in Junior. Now he manages fine in puck battles against mature opponents, in five years he will be an immovable rock.

Last edited by jarnov: 11-22-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old
11-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Colorado Avalanche

This guy will be good. I think Thornton is pretty comparable to Barkov, but Barkov has more upside for scoring goals. He has potential to become the best center ever from Finland.

It's kinda funny how things changed, I was pretty certain Finland's time in hockey world would come to an end after Selanne, S.Koivu etc retires, but It looks like there will be new generation ready to take the glory. Barkov, Granlund, M.Koivu is pretty solid for center position. Now we just need new Selanne.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Colorado Avalanche

[QUOTE=Oan;55956397]Yeah yeah, that's all good and well, but he still lacks that much needed EXPLOSIVENESS and he isn't that DYNAMIC, so MacKinnon and co. will go ahead of him for sure...

This guy doesn't need more speed. He's gonna be even better in smaller ice, just saying. Look at Mikko Koivu for example, he fits way better to smaller ice rink than bigger. Barkov is the same, he's build like a rock and he's gonna be very hard to knock of the puck.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:55 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
This guy will be good. I think Thornton is pretty comparable to Barkov, but Barkov has more upside for scoring goals. He has potential to become the best center ever from Finland.

It's kinda funny how things changed, I was pretty certain Finland's time in hockey world would come to an end after Selanne, S.Koivu etc retires, but It looks like there will be new generation ready to take the glory. Barkov, Granlund, M.Koivu is pretty solid for center position. Now we just need new Selanne.
I keep thinking Sundin when I look at him. He's got that ability to play both a playmaking or shooting role and that dominant size and puck possession ability.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I keep thinking Sundin when I look at him. He's got that ability to play both a playmaking or shooting role and that dominant size and puck possession ability.
It's funny you say that because I've only seen clips of him, but from the descriptions of others in this thread, Sundin is the guy I am picturing as well.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Whoever gets it will be happy with him.

11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
ToBBa

We should stop this speculation. The first pick wouldn't make Barkov a better player. In fact, I hope he'll get picked 3rd or something. The first pick would make Finnish media go crazy. I don't want that Barkov has to go through same kinda hassle as Granlund last year.

By speculation I mean speculation of draft position. Not speculation concerning his future.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Yeah yeah, that's all good and well, but he still lacks that much needed EXPLOSIVENESS and he isn't that DYNAMIC, so MacKinnon and co. will go ahead of him for sure...

^that's what I expect most NA-posters to reply
Terrible post is terrible.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:29 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
As a CBJ fan, I would love to see Barkov in a Jackets sweater. As for the lottery the CBJ have the best chance at #1 with 5 balls (3 of their own and one each from LA and NYR) if they use the same system as last lockout.

3 Balls: Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, Toronto Maple Leafs, NY Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes, Winnipeg Jets (24 total)

2 Balls: Anaheim Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers (10 total)

1 Ball: Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Phoenix Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, Nashville Predators, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, NY Rangers, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals (17 total)

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2012/0...W2MWcDvTB1l.99
Don't the Islanders have 2 balls since they had a 1st overall in the last 4 years? Or does this only stretch over the last 3 drafts?

BTW, as far as Barkov goes, does anyone who is familiar with him know if he can play wing? I've only seen him listed as a center.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Don't the Islanders have 2 balls since they had a 1st overall in the last 4 years? Or does this only stretch over the last 3 drafts?

BTW, as far as Barkov goes, does anyone who is familiar with him know if he can play wing? I've only seen him listed as a center.
I think he is capable of playing in the wings but I believe he is primarily a center.

Closed Thread