HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - The Walking Dead Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So to post something un-spoiler related...

Had two hockey games this weekend with no subs. Just 5 guys. On Sunday, we played a team that had a full bench, but we managed to lose only 6-5. 60 minutes of ice in both nights. I feel like my limbs are going to fall off.
You're softer then the Sedins.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
It's the most over-hyped overrated TV Show of all time so probably.
What's a better show on right now that has a better storyline and more intense scenes? If you're not into drama and action in TV shows then I respect that.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
11-19-2012, 08:14 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:

Had two hockey games this weekend with no subs. Just 5 guys. On Sunday, we played a team that had a full bench, but we managed to lose only 6-5. 60 minutes of ice in both nights. I feel like my limbs are going to fall off.
If you skate standing up your arms would feel much better.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
What's a better show on right now that has a better storyline and more intense scenes? If you're not into drama and action in TV shows then I respect that.
No, I absolutely love action and drama shows. But for me, I always felt that the Walking Dead's storyline is always **** to be honest. It's just zombies, nothing more and nothing less, and people get hyped the fact that this show involves zombies. And the acting is below average IMO.

It is a fun show, I'll give you that.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
No, I absolutely love action and drama shows. But for me, I always felt that the Walking Dead's storyline is always **** to be honest. It's just zombies, nothing more and nothing less, and people get hyped the fact that this show involves zombies. And the acting is below average IMO.

It is a fun show, I'll give you that.
I would have completely agreed with you before Season 3.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would have completely agreed with you before Season 3.
I'd agree with you on that. Most of Season 2 was a snorefest.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I haven't seen TWD but Breaking Bad is the best show on TV right now that I've seen.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
If you skate standing up your arms would feel much better.
If this is a joke, it sailed right over my head. If it's advice, can you elaborate?

Old
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Damn it! I taped those games and was going to watch it later. Thanks for spoiling it for me.

11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Looking to buy an iPhone 3G 16GB online, anyone know what a good price range for an unlocked used one should be?

Old
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Pretty significant Walking Dead news today. WARNING: SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT:

Spoil:
They have cast the character of Tyreese, who was a major player in the comics. Reports are that we could see him as soon as this next episode.

Also, Lennie James (Morgan, from the Pilot) is confirmed to be seen in some capacity this season.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
^I was about to reply to your post to state how I had managed to resist the temptation to read it, but I had forgotten that I could see the words in the reply screen. Luckily I managed to avoid reading anything.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Kid_Roll

Season 2 was terrible. The entire farm sequence should have ended lasted around two or three episodes. They dragged it on so long.

Season 3 has been great so far. Last episode was kind of bland, but that's why you pop in Dead Rising and smash some zombies to get your fix in if WD didn't do it for you.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Season 2 was terrible. The entire farm sequence should have ended lasted around two or three episodes. They dragged it on so long.

Season 3 has been great so far. Last episode was kind of bland, but that's why you pop in Dead Rising and smash some zombies to get your fix in if WD didn't do it for you.
I actually thought that this week's episode was a lot better than last week's. Lots of set up, but they managed to keep it really fresh.

I agree about Season 2. My biggest beef with the show is that there are a lot of characters who seem to cause conflict merely for the sake of causing conflict. Shane was kind of falling into that trap. It seems to be something they've really worked on for the third season; the Governor and Merle, for example, are really layered characters.

Although by the same token, we had Tomas and Andrew. Not exactly multi-dimensional.

Baby steps, I guess!

Old
11-20-2012, 02:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
^I was about to reply to your post to state how I had managed to resist the temptation to read it, but I had forgotten that I could see the words in the reply screen. Luckily I managed to avoid reading anything.
The dead stop walking and start running

Why is everyone so high on this series? I feel like I'm missing out on something...

Old
11-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Pretty significant Walking Dead news today. WARNING: SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT:

Spoil:
They have cast the character of Tyreese, who was a major player in the comics. Reports are that we could see him as soon as this next episode.

Also, Lennie James (Morgan, from the Pilot) is confirmed to be seen in some capacity this season.
Fantastic casting here...if anyone is familiar with The Wire. Agree with a couple of posts above, was less than enthused about Season 2, but TWD show runners seem to have learned from their mistakes with Season 3.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
I actually thought that this week's episode was a lot better than last week's. Lots of set up, but they managed to keep it really fresh.

I agree about Season 2. My biggest beef with the show is that there are a lot of characters who seem to cause conflict merely for the sake of causing conflict. Shane was kind of falling into that trap. It seems to be something they've really worked on for the third season; the Governor and Merle, for example, are really layered characters.

Although by the same token, we had Tomas and Andrew. Not exactly multi-dimensional.

Baby steps, I guess!
Fair point, setting up future storylines is always good. Sometimes when you view a TV show it can make a huge difference if you watch it all in one DVD sitting (ie watch the entire series over 1-2 days) vs watching it once a week. Watching it once a week makes "set up" episodes seem slower then they probably are. Taken overall, they fit in nicely.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The dead stop walking and start running

Why is everyone so high on this series? I feel like I'm missing out on something...
I can only speak for myself here - I've always been a huge zombie buff. The Romero movies (Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead in particular), Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...love them all. Just the gratuitous gore that usually goes along with such movies and some of the dark comedy that's usually involved in them makes for great entertainment.

So there's that. But I also find the show gripping - it had a serious lull in Season 2, mind you, but Season 1 was great for the most part (especially the Pilot, which was spectacular), and Season 3 has been outstanding. In a way, it reminds me of 24 which really threw viewers for a loop with its "no one is safe" mentality. Even the most beloved of characters can be killed off, so in that way, the Walking Dead is always keeping you on your toes.

As for its mass appeal, I would guess that a large part of its viewing figures come from the fact that it was/is a wildly successful comic series. The comics are extremely entertaining (I own the first Compendium), and they have a similar theme in that no one is safe, but the comics pushed the envelope even moreso than the TV show has or can in terms of what sort of things are shown. Not just the guts and gore, either - there is a lot of grisly, dark underside of humanity shown in the comics, and I am curious to see if - and how much of it, if they do - it makes it to the show.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Fantastic casting here...if anyone is familiar with The Wire. Agree with a couple of posts above, was less than enthused about Season 2, but TWD show runners seem to have learned from their mistakes with Season 3.
You know the point of the spoiler is to hide information of a post... right?

I read accidently read a spoiler on a facebook page & it kinda ruined last Sunday's episode.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I can only speak for myself here - I've always been a huge zombie buff. The Romero movies (Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead in particular), Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...love them all. Just the gratuitous gore that usually goes along with such movies and some of the dark comedy that's usually involved in them makes for great entertainment.

So there's that. But I also find the show gripping - it had a serious lull in Season 2, mind you, but Season 1 was great for the most part (especially the Pilot, which was spectacular), and Season 3 has been outstanding. In a way, it reminds me of 24 which really threw viewers for a loop with its "no one is safe" mentality. Even the most beloved of characters can be killed off, so in that way, the Walking Dead is always keeping you on your toes.

As for its mass appeal, I would guess that a large part of its viewing figures come from the fact that it was/is a wildly successful comic series. The comics are extremely entertaining (I own the first Compendium), and they have a similar theme in that no one is safe, but the comics pushed the envelope even moreso than the TV show has or can in terms of what sort of things are shown. Not just the guts and gore, either - there is a lot of grisly, dark underside of humanity shown in the comics, and I am curious to see if - and how much of it, if they do - it makes it to the show.
Hmm thanks. That definitely sounds interesting. I suppose this means I have to check out the pilot now and give it a shot.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I've only seen the comedy zombie films. They've all been great. I usually fill my paranormal needs with Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. Creeps the **** out of me though.

I do have a plan for a pending zombie apocalypse though. Always gotta be prepared

Old
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
KISSland

People love zombies.

Not everyone likes CIAs and terrorism, a teacher with cancer that sells meth, a serial killer from miami, or a crooked politician that sells bootleg.

Is it the best show out there? Hell no. But it appeals to A LOT of people. Walking Dead is pretty much like the Iphone of cell phones.

I didn't catch the last two episodes between studying for my midterm and playing BOPS2 till my hands started cramping I lost track of time.

Saw them finally last night. They were great. I wonder how it will play out.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I've only seen the comedy zombie films. They've all been great. I usually fill my paranormal needs with Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. Creeps the **** out of me though.

I do have a plan for a pending zombie apocalypse though. Always gotta be prepared
Who doesn't?

Old
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I in the Eye

This looks good:

Old
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
This looks good:

That last shot of the zombies climbing over each other is amazing. Other than that, the trailer was surprisingly light on "up close" zombie action. The book was nearly impossible to put down, but given that it was an ensemble story, I'm not sure how they plan to parlay that into a movie plot.

I saw this trailer last night for "Warm Bodies":

Looks pretty funny, I'll be giving that a view.

Closed Thread