HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Free-agent Vandermeer sees a fine fit in Vancouver, but do the Canucks?

Old
11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Canucks do not need to get older.

As an aside, I imagine when the CBA is settled there will be a brief frenzy as teams try to fill rosters. Smarter players will be sending up kites, like this.
Seriously? It's desperate players (like say, Dan Ellis) doing things like this, smart has nothing to do with it.

Besides, teams will be trying to add good players to their roster - teams like the Oilers might be stupid enough to sign a player because he contacted them but I should hope the Canucks will know who is out there well enough that they don't need a reminder.

dave babych returns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I don't care about Vandermeer, but yes ditch Alberts. I still can't believe we traded something of value for that sack, and proceeded to sign him to that stupid contract.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:05 PM
moog35

He would add some much needed toughness to the back end and before people say Bieksa is tougher than Vandermeer they need to realize that hes not. Vandermeer would be a great depth guy and the only player on our team other than maybe Kassian capable of fighting heavyweights

Could have used a player like him in the Boston series

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
He would add some much needed toughness to the back end and before people say Bieksa is tougher than Vandermeer they need to realize that hes not. Vandermeer would be a great depth guy and the only player on our team other than maybe Kassian capable of fighting heavyweights
getting knuckle-draggers that are depth guys isn't really a problem - you want "tough guys" that are actually on the ice a fair bit to be useful against a team like the Bruins.

(not saying we couldn't use more sandpaper on the blueline to make things a little tougher for the opposition in our own zone).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Pseudonymous

That was a good fight

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Kid_Roll

Vandermeer looked awful at the last game I saw him play.

That game was the Bieksa Buddies charity event.

In closing, that game meant nothing, so I can't base anything off of it, but I want to, so I shall.

Boo to Vandermeer. Dude wouldn't leave the ice. He was an ice hog!

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Arnott was lined up, waiting in the wings, Ellis voiced his desire to come mentor Schneider, and now Vandermeer?...I don't know, I'd take a flyer on any of them if they came cheaply enough. If Gillis uses his Jedi Mind Tricks to get get him for a 600 or 700 k cap hit, as a spare Dman/enforcer/13th forward kinda role I'd be into it.

I don't mind getting older if the players we get are filling a role, and tough guy/spare is a cheap hole to fill, so we may as well pay someone cheaply, and make it someone that wants to be here. Pahlsson was fine, so youth isn't the only asset I think Gillis should be looking at short term.

Its tough to get younger, and especially better if you're looking younger, on the UFA market.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
medhatcanuck

Hahah obviously Vandermeer doesn't understand the Canucks fans at all! The last thing on earth we want is an Aaron Rome replacement, AV would love this guy and Ballard, Connauton can say bye bye to NHL playing time and look out for Vandermeer on the pp.

-1 Vandermeer. Although I love when players market themselves to teams.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Hahah obviously Vandermeer doesn't understand the Canucks fans at all! The last thing on earth we want is an Aaron Rome replacement, AV would love this guy and Ballard, Connauton can say bye bye to NHL playing time and look out for Vandermeer on the pp.

I think Ballard will be on thin ice this year anyways. I haven't paid too much attention to Connaughton but do you really think he's ready for the NHL? If he is going to see the pressbox most nights, I'd much rather Vandemeer be the one up there and Connaughton getting big minutes in the A.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post

Keep Vandermeer away from Vigneault for heavens sake!

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I think Ballard will be on thin ice this year anyways. I haven't paid too much attention to Connaughton but do you really think he's ready for the NHL? If he is going to see the pressbox most nights, I'd much rather Vandemeer be the one up there and Connaughton getting big minutes in the A.
I think Connauton should get a 15-20 game try-out when someone gets injured, but that's about it. He's played 2 full seasons in the AHL and has shown improvement from one to the next. He needs to get a feel for the speed and defensive play up here then go back and work on it in the AHL. The sooner he can get some games in the better though.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Vandermeer could be Gardiner's replacement in a Luongo deal. I think it could work...

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote