HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

OHL Fighting Rule: NHL to Follow?

Old
10-27-2012, 05:50 AM
HTFN

vCash: 500
on a significantly lesser scale regarding player safety, more in terms of changing rules, I seem to remember a few prolific wideouts forcing the NFL to totally change the way receivers and secondaries were allowed to interact down-field. There are still plenty of big plays, challenging for balls in the end-zone, etc.

Rule changes can force adaptation and new fundamentals just as much, if not more, as they force "wussification".

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Millhaus

I for one definitely feel taking Lester Hayes' stickum away was a huge step in the wussifying of the NFL and sports in general...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:01 PM
wickedwitch

I don't have an issue with fighting in the NHL, but it should be banned for juniors.

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
BTCG

BR,

I'm sure you know that I've got a ton of respect for you. And I hope you know that I don't want fighting removed.

But I do have an issue with fighting in certain instances.

Example, as has been made, and made well, here already: forcing a fight on someone who doesn't want to "dance", so to speak.

If the guy has cheap-shotted someone, that's one thing.

But if his only crime is that he made a great atheletic play, well that I take issue with.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:41 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
BR,

I'm sure you know that I've got a ton of respect for you. And I hope you know that I don't want fighting removed.

But I do have an issue with fighting in certain instances.

Example, as has been made, and made well, here already: forcing a fight on someone who doesn't want to "dance", so to speak.

If the guy has cheap-shotted someone, that's one thing.

But if his only crime is that he made a great atheletic play, well that I take issue with.
Well I'm probably in the minority here so in that instance (where an innocent player doesn't want to dance) I think that is why all teams should have tough guys.

If I go up to someone and start pummelling them for no reason and they turtle I still get the penalty (Dave Brown vs Bobby Gould in game 6 1988 comes to mind)

But if I have Bob Probert or someone of his ilk on my bench I would seriously doubt the other team would do such a foolish thing as it would invite retribution.

NHL is wussified and continues downward on that trend.

Fact is fighting is exciting. People stand and cheer when there is a fight. No one goes to the restroom during one. That leads me to believe that the vast majority of hockey fans like it.

To reduce it in any way like they've been doing (and seem to continue to want to do) is just a sneaky way to try to "slowly" get it out of the way in hopes of alluring that elusive soccer mom demographic who reportedly hates fighting.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
I don't have an issue with fighting in the NHL, but it should be banned for juniors.
and where are they gonna learn how to fight?

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well I'm probably in the minority here so in that instance (where an innocent player doesn't want to dance) I think that is why all teams should have tough guys.

If I go up to someone and start pummelling them for no reason and they turtle I still get the penalty (Dave Brown vs Bobby Gould in game 6 1988 comes to mind)

But if I have Bob Probert or someone of his ilk on my bench I would seriously doubt the other team would do such a foolish thing as it would invite retribution.

NHL is wussified and continues downward on that trend.

Fact is fighting is exciting. People stand and cheer when there is a fight. No one goes to the restroom during one. That leads me to believe that the vast majority of hockey fans like it.

To reduce it in any way like they've been doing (and seem to continue to want to do) is just a sneaky way to try to "slowly" get it out of the way in hopes of alluring that elusive soccer mom demographic who reportedly hates fighting.
I recall a game against a New York team (the Isles, I think) when Ron Wilson was the coach (apologies to Choking Dogs for mentioning that name). They were beating us, and playing clean. But after a go-ahead goal, Ron threw the goon squad out (I forget the player's name). It p'd off the refs. We had 3 games that week, and didn't get a single penalty call. Three whole games: no call for us. The refs were sending a message.

I'm no p'#ssy. Just ask the 3 Flyer's fans, the biggest of whom kicked a beer as he left after the Cap's scored to beat them in the playoffs a few years ago. I followed him to the concourse, and decked him. Security came running up, and I told them what they'd done. Security threw them out, and I was allowed to return to my seat for the 3-Star selection.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote