HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
He gives me a Tyler Myers vibe pre draft, big, mobile has a good shot but very raw, has untapped potential though. Draft interviews will play a big role in him going anywhere from 8-10 to the late teens, just takes one team to love the character because the current ability combined with size and potential is very solid as of now.
Are the greyhounds any good this year ?

Old
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Crus Rydberg might be a riser but I doubt he will go in the top 30. He is not going to get a lot of icetime in the SEL this season. He was a freak of nature at 14, the best player at that age I've ever seen. Then he switched team and his production went down and he was not selected to the national teams anymore. He was apparently not willing to work hard enough. He has bounced back this season though and has looked really good on his junior team and on the national team. He is similar to Lindholm in terms of style (perhaps not as aggressive and physical) but Lindholm is better at everything at the moment. Skating was said to be an issue but that looked just fine the last time I saw him play. The raw talent is there but it would be a big gamble to take him with an early pick imo.

Another guy from Sweden that has been on the rise all season is Alexander Wennberg who scored a hat-trick in Allsvenskan this Sunday. One of the oldest guys in the draft. Playmaker with soft hands and extremely smooth skating, this guy will be a first-rounder if he can keep it up.
My thoughts on Sweden's 1st round possibilities are having as many as eight players again not including any goalies.Lindholm looks like a diamond in the rough along with Andre Burakowsky and Viktor Crus Rydberg as centers.Robert Hagg is another in a long line of Swedish defencemen that remind scouts of Nick Lidstrom,the usual comparisons made about forwards being like Peter Forsberg are always exaggerated but the Swedes definitely have some swagger at the draft tables every year it seems.Timmins of course has had his eyes on Wennberg since last year and who knows how many others have garnered his interest.It's going to be a great Entry Draft this year,there are very good prospects into the 3rd round,let's hope the Habs get to draft a couple of really smart and talented forwards to complement Galchenyuk for the future.Another defence prospect that has caught my attention is Marc McNulty LD for Prince George Cougars,in 15 games he has 4 goals and two assists and his size is a bonus @6'6" and a mere mortal 190 lbs.he could be an interesting draft choice for the future.

Last edited by S Bah: 11-20-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
That

A player who's slowly catching my attention is the Saginaw Spirit's RW Nick Moutrey. He's a 6'4" 208 lb powerforward. He's listed as a RW, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him play a few games on the left side. When I say powerforward, I mean powerforward. He's physical, punishing and will beat you in a variety of ways. He's got soft hands too, so he will either go through you or around you. Good instincts around the crease and a solid wrist shot. He uses his body effectively too, protects the puck well and creates space using his body. He needs to work on his passing and puck skills. He got pretty good hands, but they could definitely be better. He does have good vision, but his passing isn't ideal.

Really talented player already and some room to grow. Could be a great late round pick, however if he keeps up the pace that he's playing at he'll most likely be a second rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
My thoughts on Sweden's 1st round possibilities are having as many as eight players again not including any goalies.Lindholm looks like a diamond in the rough along with Andre Burakowsky and Viktor Crus Rydberg as centers.Robert Hagg is another in a long line of Swedish defencemen that remind scouts of Nick Lidstrom,the usual comparisons made about forwards being like Peter Forsberg are always exaggerated but the Swedes definitely have some swagger at the draft tables every year it seems.Timmins of course has had his eyes on Wennberg since last year and who knows how many others have garnered his interest.It's going to be a great Entry Draft this year,there are very good prospects into the 3rd round,let's hope the Habs get to draft a couple of really smart and talented forwards to complement Galchenyuk for the future.Another defence prospect that has caught my attention is Marc McNulty LD for Prince George Cougars,in 15 games he has 4 goals and two assists and his size is a bonus @6'6" and a mere mortal 190 lbs.he could be an interesting draft choice for the future.
I watched him the other night against Kamloops. I had no idea that he was draft eligible. He played a solid game. He's still really raw, but he's got some great tools to work with. He's an intriguing player for sure.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:16 PM
pcamp

I dont see what others see in Nurse but he wouldnt be a top20 pick for me. My favorite under the radar defenseman in this draft has to be Robert Hagg. He just plays a really risk free mature game with a great shot. I see more upside in him personally and Im really anxious to see him play at WJC.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
A player who's slowly catching my attention is the Saginaw Spirit's RW Nick Moutrey. He's a 6'4" 208 lb powerforward. He's listed as a RW, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him play a few games on the left side. When I say powerforward, I mean powerforward. He's physical, punishing and will beat you in a variety of ways. He's got soft hands too, so he will either go through you or around you. Good instincts around the crease and a solid wrist shot. He uses his body effectively too, protects the puck well and creates space using his body. He needs to work on his passing and puck skills. He got pretty good hands, but they could definitely be better. He does have good vision, but his passing isn't ideal.

Really talented player already and some room to grow. Could be a great late round pick, however if he keeps up the pace that he's playing at he'll most likely be a second rounder.

I watched him the other night against Kamloops. I had no idea that he was draft eligible. He played a solid game. He's still really raw, but he's got some great tools to work with. He's an intriguing player for sure.
Moutrey sounds like an interesting player,there appears to be a few power forwards type players with talent available this season and with three 2nd's the Habs could land one of them.It would be nice to have a couple of players like him in the system,our team needs some big bodies in the forward ranks in the worst way.The players drafted this season should be ready about the time Erik Cole's contract ends and if Bourque doesn't find his game the Habs are going to have to trade out of need. That's not a good position to be in as we've learned over the years,much better to have a few players like Moutrey,Quailer's a big body with speed but not that physical.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post

I don't care what others think, that doesn't make it right. Not saying that I am right either, just suggesting that there is no truth and that I am quite tired of this kind of replies that are not in fact factual. (You don't know what teams are thinking, please kindly, stop this ****.)

Share your opinion, back it up with your observations, that's all we can do here.
How is your opinion more "factual" than mine?

I have at least spoken to people in the industry, guys that work in this field and have the pulse of it.

MacKinnon gets overrated on message boards. Is it because he's been compared to Crosby because of their home town?(though they play a different style) ...or because the scoring forward is a more glamorous position than the stud d-man?

I'm not saying I wouldn't take MacKinnon at #1 if I was drafting, but it's very wide open right now and guys like Monahan, Drouin, Jones have their stock rising and MacKinnon has been about the same or slight drop.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I dont see what others see in Nurse but he wouldnt be a top20 pick for me. My favorite under the radar defenseman in this draft has to be Robert Hagg. He just plays a really risk free mature game with a great shot. I see more upside in him personally and Im really anxious to see him play at WJC.
I would draft Hagg also given the choice between Nurse and Hagg.Nurse is a big physical nasty defenceman and has some offence but sound defensively.Hagg's upside could be huge and he makes playing defence look easy,he will have a long career no doubt IMO.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How is your opinion more "factual" than mine?

I have at least spoken to people in the industry, guys that work in this field and have the pulse of it.

MacKinnon gets overrated on message boards. Is it because he's been compared to Crosby because of their home town?(though they play a different style) ...or because the scoring forward is a more glamorous position than the stud d-man?

I'm not saying I wouldn't take MacKinnon at #1 if I was drafting, but it's very wide open right now and guys like Monahan, Drouin, Jones have their stock rising and MacKinnon has been about the same or slight drop.
This. Especially the bolded part.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:03 PM
S Bah

It's really getting to be a logjam at the top of the scorer's list for the QMJHL with five possible 1st round picks within 2pts. of each other.Nice to see Samuel Henley(22pts.) playing well for Val-d'Or as well as Anthony Mantha(38pts.).William Carrier(40pts.) tied with Nathan MacKinnon and Johnathan Drouin(38pts.-17gms.)pretty special player IMO.Is there a snowball's chance in **** that the Habs might draft 3-4 of those players,then there is Frederick Gauthier(20pts.)injured though and Erne,Duclair and Fucale so one can never set their sights too high.With all of these and the rest of the juniors of the world it may be possible to draft 3-4 maybe more,I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Habs,if ever there was a year to stockpile 1st round picks to draft some good Francophone players this has to be IT.

Last edited by S Bah: 11-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's really getting to be a logjam at the top of the scorer's list for the QMJHL with five possible 1st round picks within 2pts. of each other.Nice to see Samuel Henley(22pts.) playing well for Val-d'Or as well as Anthony Mantha(38pts.).William Carrier(40pts.) tied with Nathan MacKinnon and Johnathan Drouin(38pts.-17gms.)pretty special player IMO.Is there a snowball's chance in **** that the Habs might draft 3-4 of those players,then there is Frederick Gauthier(20pts.)injured though and Erne,Duclair and Fucale so one can never set their sights too high.With all of these and the rest of the juniors of the world it may be possible to draft 3-4 maybe more,I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Habs,if ever there was a year to stockpile 1st round picks to draft some good Francophone players this has to be IT.
All our Q players are belong to us !!!

Old
11-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Watched Gogolev last night - for the Victoria Royals, he played last year for the Calgary Hitmen.

20 year old Russian, listed at 5'10 - 180 seems a bit on the slight side but easily able to play and dominate in the WHL. He's a skilled puck possession winger, good skater, plenty of smarts and plenty smooth. Seems overlooked but in my eyes could make for a decent winger for either Plekanec or Eller after a year in the AHL.

I'd rather take a flyer on him then half our Bulldog's team - downside is he could head back to Russia and imo he'll either end up as a decent second line winger or a total bust.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I like Eric Roy - D - Brandon Wheat Kings if we can get him with one of our 2nd round picks.

Probably won't be anything more than a #4 or #5 d-man but has decent size 6' 3", good mobility and decent defensively and offensively. Good all-around player. Like the way he plays the game, a bit raw.
I watched him play here in Kamloops against the Blazers and I thought he looked a better all round player than Pulock..Pulock has a big heavy shot but doesn't seem very smooth and skating is a ?? for me.
Shea Theodore is the best dman I have seen here this year..fantastic skating and offensive ability

Saw Klimchuck last night and he was invisible...

Old
11-22-2012, 04:06 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Pulock's skating is a question mark? What? It's not his best asset but it's at least average. Pivots don't look great but first step and overall speed are average imo.

Curious what makes you wonder about his skating.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
I watched him play here in Kamloops against the Blazers and I thought he looked a better all round player than Pulock..Pulock has a big heavy shot but doesn't seem very smooth and skating is a ?? for me.
Shea Theodore is the best dman I have seen here this year..fantastic skating and offensive ability

Saw Klimchuck last night and he was invisible...
I'm a fan of both players, but I do think Pulock will do fine in the NHL and that shot of his is something we could really use.
----------
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Hab's prospect Bozon, especially his consistency and his improvement over time.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Fozz

Latest Woodlief article. Should get us even more excited about having 4 picks in the top 60.
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1719797

Old
11-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Pulock's skating is a question mark? What? It's not his best asset but it's at least average. Pivots don't look great but first step and overall speed are average imo.

Curious what makes you wonder about his skating.
This judgement was from watching only one game here... missing first step quickness, mobility(not smooth), stiff skating style, has speed once he gets going. A booming shot tho....I thought Roy looked like a more natural Dman,smooth,quick ,size good skating without the shot

Old
11-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
I'm a fan of both players, but I do think Pulock will do fine in the NHL and that shot of his is something we could really use.
----------
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Hab's prospect Bozon, especially his consistency and his improvement over time.
Bozon is fun to watch, that whole line works so well together(Smith,Lipon) at high speed. Bozon I would say has added more speed and power/strength from last year.He can go around Dmen with his added power and seems faster and more confident.He carries the puck way more and takes faceoffs.His shot is very accurate and heavy. He is listed now at 6'1 195

Old
11-23-2012, 12:24 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Latest Woodlief article. Should get us even more excited about having 4 picks in the top 60.
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1719797
Nice to see someone putting Drouin ahead of Mackinnon.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:32 AM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Nice to see someone putting Drouin ahead of Mackinnon.
I would still take Mackinnon over Drouin, though.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:33 AM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Bozon is fun to watch, that whole line works so well together(Smith,Lipon) at high speed. Bozon I would say has added more speed and power/strength from last year.He can go around Dmen with his added power and seems faster and more confident.He carries the puck way more and takes faceoffs.His shot is very accurate and heavy. He is listed now at 6'1 195
Wow, sounds like he can be a 3rd steal, and probably a solid 2nd line winger.

Thanks for the update.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:35 AM
AJMHABS

Quote:
----------
Agreed. Pulock would make our defense even stronger and would be a good replacement for Markov in the future.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:14 PM
That

Sean Monahan just got suspended ten games for a hit to the head.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...179e20e0d5e9a1

It sucks for him, that's a very long time to sit.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Sean Monahan just got suspended ten games for a hit to the head.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...179e20e0d5e9a1
Man that sucks for the 67's, as they are already a brutal team with him, imagine without him.

I don't think this hurt his draft status, though.

Last edited by AJMHABS: 11-24-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Agreed. Pulock would make our defense even stronger and would be a good replacement for Markov in the future.
watched Dietz play tonight. I really like his play, very smooth skater.... looks strong,had a few good hits although Bozon gave him a big time hit. He must have played over half the game as Thrower and Siemens didn't play. Dietz reminds me of Bieksa a smooth strong skater moves puck well good shot(wired a wrist shot of the post). Where Pulock is only offence ..Dietz is a combo type ...maybe not as good offensively but better defensive and skating and toughness.

Bozon had a few more great chances but Makarov was REALLY good

Old
11-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Is Pulock as good offensively as Morgan Reilly?

Closed Thread