HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Broke my first stick ever last night. Pretty sure I died a little on the inside.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:16 AM
PaperworkNinja

vCash: 500
Surprised everyone with a backhand inside the crease. I think it would have been much better if it a) wasn't during warmups and b) had gone into the net top shelf instead of over it. The goalie was shocked since all he ever sees me do is snap shots. I also stole pucks from a couple of the better stickhandlers and blocked a rising snap shot well enough to drop it on my stick & carry it out of the zone. That was fun.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:24 PM
youthoftoday

Last night I scored from about 4ft from the side and about a foot behind the net. I was down low and puck came around to me, since my ice vision sucks and I make horrible passes, I just threw it on net and banked it off the back of the goalie and in. I guess he was expecting me to pass as well because he wasn't hugging the post at all.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Broke my first stick ever last night. Pretty sure I died a little on the inside.
I did that for the first time last season. Broke it on a faceoff of all things.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I did that for the first time last season. Broke it on a faceoff of all things.
Wait until you guys break two in one game.

I died a little that night...

Old
11-20-2012, 01:49 PM
PaperworkNinja

The not so good parts of last night's game: ran into two other players. The first one was while fighting for the puck. My stopping skills need to improve greatly. I didn't fall over for once, and managed to keep the other player from passing or shooting. In fact, I managed a sloppy pass to one of my teammates. (He proceeded to lose the puck, fight for it, regain and pass the puck to another guy who would lose, regain and pass the puck in the same way to someone who was cleanly open... and who whiffed on the goal shot from 10 feet out.)

The second guy I ran into last night was because I couldn't turn fast enough and he couldn't see me fast enough. On that one I got knocked over backwards, landed on his stick, and almost hit my head on the ice. Thankfully I remembered to tuck my chin in and take the impact on my shoulders like I remembered from all those kenpo classes as a college student. The other player said first thing: "Was that your back or my stick that made that snapping noise?" Neither my back nor his stick broke.

After the game the guys suggested half-jokingly that I find an adult checking seminar. I countered with "Once I learn to stop on a dime from full speed, maybe."

Old
11-20-2012, 02:19 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
...got my first assist in league play...ever! Our team also knocked off the top team who was 9-0(...and summer's upper D champs(they merged upper and lower D league for this season, and or team got ALL the noobs)). I'm really starting to get my feet under me and generally feel good about where my skills are headed for the second half of the season.
Hitless? We watched a little bit of the Purple Cobras/Hitless game while we were waiting for our game. You guys have improved a lot.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
polysaturate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Hitless? We watched a little bit of the Purple Cobras/Hitless game while we were waiting for our game. You guys have improved a lot.
Ya...and apparently they weren't unbeaten after I checked the standings this morning. Oh well, I guess the thinking they were pumped us up.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
Ya...and apparently they weren't unbeaten after I checked the standings this morning. Oh well, I guess the thinking they were pumped us up.
No, we beat them last week (barely) but I didn't want to ruin your happiness.

We were down most of the game last week, but tied it up in the last 2 minutes. Ended up winning in a shootout.

Last night was our worst game all season. I always figure you'll have one real stinker, whether it's a game, a test, etc. It's good to get it out of the way fairly early on! Now we have something to get fired up about, everyone wants to redeem themselves next week.

No I-league this Saturday, but there is hockey - I'm doing open hockey at Oceanside on Friday at noon, then Saturday puckheads and Sunday a CVH game. If you're interested in playing CVH, let me know and I can send you an invite. They are organized drop-in, and a nice bunch of people.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Played last night for the first time in nine days. Foot is still sore to walk on and was sore skating on as well but i could still skate just not with a lot of jump.

Never a great skater so sort of like a Hyundai Pony with one less cylinder. Lol

Team played awesome last night. We have some excellent dmen and pretty decent forwards.

One if our dmen i love to watch play. Hes an awesome skater and just makes little body positioning decisions that make all the different whether its preventing a pass getting through him or keeping a puck in. A real treat.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Ozz

3 goals and 1 assist tonight. Shot well, passed well, aside from not burning a few defenders I've got no complaints about my game tonight.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:26 AM
windycity

had somebody walk off with my brand new Easton EQ50. Hopefully just a mistake and it turns up, otherwise I will be seriously pissed off

Old
11-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
had somebody walk off with my brand new Easton EQ50. Hopefully just a mistake and it turns up, otherwise I will be seriously pissed off
Bummer. I still pine over my Easton gold aluminium stick that went missing after a game 20 years ago!

Old
11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
polysaturate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
No, we beat them last week (barely) but I didn't want to ruin your happiness.

We were down most of the game last week, but tied it up in the last 2 minutes. Ended up winning in a shootout.

Last night was our worst game all season. I always figure you'll have one real stinker, whether it's a game, a test, etc. It's good to get it out of the way fairly early on! Now we have something to get fired up about, everyone wants to redeem themselves next week.

No I-league this Saturday, but there is hockey - I'm doing open hockey at Oceanside on Friday at noon, then Saturday puckheads and Sunday a CVH game. If you're interested in playing CVH, let me know and I can send you an invite. They are organized drop-in, and a nice bunch of people.
Bleh, if I wasn't so busy Friday, that'd sound swell.

What's CVH? and when Sunday...I try not too do anything too crazy the day before a game. Made a mistake once hiking camelback on a Sunday :-/

Old
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

CVH is Cactus Valley Hockey - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cactus...ref=ts&fref=ts

The game this week is at 3, but they have another game at Arcadia I think.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Ozz

Last night: caught a puck directly to the shoulder, and it bounced off into my jaw. First time that's happened. It seemed like slow motion and I couldn't do anything but stand there and watch it, but my teammates tell me it was a laser. Got a big, sore bruise right where my pec & delt tie in.

But we won our opening game in the weekend tournament. Got 2 more tonight and one on Sunday morning before the 2/3 seed game play for the finals.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Coaching my team today missing 3/5 defensemen, one of who is our captain.

Should be interesting

Old
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Today, I got a new nickname: snowball.

In reference to diving all over the ice to block passes.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Today, I got a new nickname: snowball.

In reference to diving all over the ice to block passes.
My friends gave me the nickname "Giraffe"

Old
12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Ozz

Hat trick in a 3-goal win. We clinched 1st seed for playoffs starting in 2 weeks.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Accomplished a transition to backwards with speed multiple times during the game. The only problem was it highlighted just how terrible my gap control is. Holy acres of space, Batman.

Also, one of the times I didn't manage to transition fast enough, I caught a snapper right in that unpadded part of my calf. It's already quite colorful. Stupid people who know how to shoot.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:05 AM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

I get paid to go take a group home client to teen shinny and skate with him. I try to get him the puck as much as I can, can't be too selfish since I"m on the job but it's pretty fun when i get some time to stickhandle through everybody and end it with a Datsyuk.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:06 AM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Won our first playoff game in an amazing comeback.

We had a rough first period (in which I won a defensive faceoff into my own net off of a defenders skate. Rattle me pretty hard for the period) that ended 0-3. We scored in the second, but they struck back ending it 1-4.

In the third, though, we come to play. I get my head on my shoulders and win the first face off by going around the other center and carrying it into the slot and firing it into the goalie, which rebounds back and gets picked up by my winger for a goal.

Another one gets rallied while i'm on the bench bring it to 3-4. Again we trade goals and the score becomes 4-5. Again, while I'm on the bench a play on my team scores off the post (and the net visibly pops from the puck), but the goalie scoops it out, and the ref waves it off. We are livid, as the clock is winding down. We pull the goalie at the 1:00 mark, and manage to hound them hard enough to put another one in the net, incredibly.

The last 30 seconds of regulation are ticking down while I'm on the bench and we are in the defensive zone and finally manage to clear it out with 15 seconds left. A shot and then a rebound into their goal happens with 3 seconds left on the clock, and the refs let the 3 seconds run out.

The best part is that they had a ringer score 3 of their damn goals, and he was a mouthy son of a ***** the entire time. Watching him throw his sticks and gloves out of frustration was such a rewarding sight.

Boy was that an awkward handshake line, though.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:20 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Caught a nice slapper just above the knee cap on the shinpad. Got a nice big bruise and a stiff-ass leg. Got right in between the hard cap of the shinpad and the hockey pants. There was some soft padding there (thankfully) but it froze me pretty good. My buddy has a pretty heavy shot. Had a pretty decent back hand go bar down from a good 12 feet out earlier in the night. Love when my backhand is on.

Last edited by SERE 24: 12-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
TLow97

Won our first game last night! 6-5 in OT. I think we doubled our scoring for the year... Managed to get an assist on the GW! On 4 hours of sleep and I'm still excited.

Closed Thread