HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i kind of understand chirping players at games... its part of the atmosphere and i think a lot of the players think its more funny than anything else... its another thing to make light of somebody's injury out of the blue on twitter, especially when you claim to be a fan of the team... i don't chirp players at games, but i at least understand it somewhat... the twitter thing is just a chicken-***** move though
Haha dude, at a game you're a nameless person

On Twitter, your name is on your account - if you have the guts to stand behind what you say anyway.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Perfect_Drug

Zzzz

I was thinking about something this morning.

The CBA negotiations started when the NHLPA rejected a perfectly suitable and reasonable proposal for Conference re-alignment (where Winnipeg would be moved to the West).

That set the precedence on how the NHLPA would negotiate henceforth. Reject reasonable proposal after reasonable proposal with zero grounds on anything other than being spoiled brats that don't want nice things.

This is the NHLPA in my mind:

Old
11-20-2012, 09:18 AM
#ualberta

@DarrenDreger: Not to be viewed as weakness in any way, however, after last night there's a seems to be a sense of urgency coming from the players.

Wow this may be the first time I see a crack of optimism from Darren dreger

Old
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
@DarrenDreger: Not to be viewed as weakness in any way, however, after last night there's a seems to be a sense of urgency coming from the players.

Well it's about fricking time the players showed some urgency. They are playing with fire for quite some time(starting when they turned down negotiations during the season last year), and at this point, already burned.

I'm not falling for this crap again though. I thought they were on the verge a few weeks back, but then the players asked for even more.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post

I think it was probably just gas.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I see we had a bit of a heated twitter discussion here last night. I say if the players want to have public accounts and sling mud from one side to the other it's no different than being a professional athlete and taking chirps from people in the crowd.

Obviously there is a line as to the content of the tweet, but I think this tweet was pretty fair game for a guy who keeps chirping about his situation.

As for bad examples I can't stand is when idiots will say tweet Brett LAwrie after a bad game and just swear like idiots and say how ****** of a player he is for example. Or tell Jose Bautista that he's ****ing up their fantasy team by being useless and getting injured. That's ignorant but coming up with a witty remark to a guy who's obviously looking for public attention through his twitter and then shows his true colors in the response is just laughable from his part.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I see we had a bit of a heated twitter discussion here last night. I say if the players want to have public accounts and sling mud from one side to the other it's no different than being a professional athlete and taking chirps from people in the crowd.

Obviously there is a line as to the content of the tweet, but I think this tweet was pretty fair game for a guy who keeps chirping about his situation.

As for bad examples I can't stand is when idiots will say tweet Brett LAwrie after a bad game and just swear like idiots and say how ****** of a player he is for example. Or tell Jose Bautista that he's ****ing up their fantasy team by being useless and getting injured. That's ignorant but coming up with a witty remark to a guy who's obviously looking for public attention through his twitter and then shows his true colors in the response is just laughable from his part.
Really no surprise that you would condone making fun of someone's congenital birth defect.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Really no surprise that you would condone making fun of someone's congenital birth defect.
Really not surprised that you would disapprove. Life goes on, that's why I love this place.

edit: It's really no different then him and Biz chirping people by their user pictures, really just a taste of their own medicince and obviously they can dish it out but can't take it in. It is interesting to note that Whitney gets a free pass from you because he has a congenital birth defect but Horcoff doesn't.

Last edited by Reimer: 11-20-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old
11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

How was he supposed to react "yeah you're right buddy I'll be lucky to play 10 games anyway, I think that I'll announce my retirement tomorrow?".

Now don't get me wrong, Whitney has come across as a big baby in a number of his tweets that I've seen mentioned here, but IMO that tweet to him wasn't very nice either. Had it been more along the lines of "maybe this time you could actually earn your pay by playing better" while a bit harsh wouldn't be as bad as knocking a guy for injuries which he has no control over.

11-20-2012, 12:02 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Really not surprised that you would disapprove. Life goes on, that's why I love this place.

edit: It's really no different then him and Biz chirping people by their user pictures, really just a taste of their own medicince and obviously they can dish it out but can't take it in. It is interesting to note that Whitney gets a free pass from you because he has a congenital birth defect but Horcoff doesn't.
This really doesnt deserve a response, but I am unaware of Horcoff having a injury related congenital birth defect, and even if he did, I would never make light of it on his twitter account.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How was he supposed to react "yeah you're right buddy I'll be lucky to play 10 games anyway, I think that I'll announce my retirement tomorrow?".

Now don't get me wrong, Whitney has come across as a big baby in a number of his tweets that I've seen mentioned here, but IMO that tweet to him wasn't very nice either. Had it been more along the lines of "maybe this time you could actually earn your pay by playing better" while a bit harsh wouldn't be as bad as knocking a guy for injuries which he has no control over.
Probably to do nothing? Think of how many tweets Hall or Eberle got when they got injured. Especially Hall.....somehow they manage to stay out of it even though being younger and supposedly less mature. I've tweeted Whitney before and gotten no response, as I'm sure 1000s of people have as well. He also blocked me right after his response, but about 24 hours later he wanted to add himself as one of my followers, but I didn't accept.

Either way, the tweet was about at tame as you can get for a beak.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Yeah but that tweet would look stupid as he's obviously had injuries. Hard to play better when you're injured 90% of the time.

As for them responding, imo they shouldn't bother. Most of the stuff they respond to or retweet out of disgust is just giving attention to the people tweeting at them. In other words they are giving them what they are looking for.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This really doesnt deserve a response, but I am unaware of Horcoff having a injury related congenital birth defect, and even if he did, I would never make light of it on his twitter account.
Again not surprised that that's what you picked out of that.

I'm saying birth defect or not. They are both injuries that hamper the players ability to play the game. There shouldn't be a difference, at the end of the day they are both responsible to their team for their crappy play relative to their paycheque.

But getting away from that non-sense as the real issue at play here is the players using twitter for public promotion. You take what comes with it. Generally you take more when you are...well let's say more critical of other responses. You should know this first hand with a lot of responses you get on the boards relative to your posts.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Yeah but that tweet would look stupid as he's obviously had injuries. Hard to play better when you're injured 90% of the time.

As for them responding, imo they shouldn't bother. Most of the stuff they respond to or retweet out of disgust is just giving attention to the people tweeting at them. In other words they are giving them what they are looking for.
Whitney was probably having a bad day already, and the one tweet just set him off. Right or wrong the guy is a human and will say/do things every now and then that people don't approve of.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Whitney was probably having a bad day already, and the one tweet just set him off. Right or wrong the guy is a human and will say/do things every now and then that people don't approve of.
Fair enough, but something like that is a two-way street.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor Just a note. During 2004 lockout, owners February offer was $42 million cap, they settle in July with $39 mill cap. #offersmightnotgetbetter

Interesting tweet from Gregor.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor Just a note. During 2004 lockout, owners February offer was $42 million cap, they settle in July with $39 mill cap. #offersmightnotgetbetter

Interesting tweet from Gregor.
It would be interesting to see what both sides stands where on the other issues such as contract length, RFA age, Arbitration rights. You know all the things that the players made out like bandits on and cashed in on big time in the last 6 years.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I wonder if Fehr drops the no cap bomb in the PA's proposal tomorrow. Wouldn't that be hilarious.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I wonder if Fehr drops the no cap bomb in the PA's proposal tomorrow. Wouldn't that be hilarious.
That would be about as smart as the NHL's initial 43% offer, it would guarantee no hockey this season and likely none next year either.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Hoogaar23

The NHL has lost some $ from Kraft for next year. They were talking about in on HockeyCentral.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...cancelled.html

Old
11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Edmonton, winter, NHL lockout, fans are offically going to stir crazy - http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/1...rse#more-97890

Who knows, maybe this will improve the city's image when it comes to recruiting NHL free agents when hockey resumes.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Negotiations officially scheduled for 10:00 ET tomorrow. PA expected to make a proposal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409911

According to Dreger: @DarrenDreger: Not to be viewed as weakness in any way, however, after last night there's a seems to be a sense of urgency coming from the players.

I've learned my lesson about becoming too optimistic but if the players are actually willing to engage maybe some progress will be made.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Negotiations officially scheduled for 10:00 ET tomorrow. PA expected to make a proposal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409911

According to Dreger: @DarrenDreger: Not to be viewed as weakness in any way, however, after last night there's a seems to be a sense of urgency coming from the players.

I've learned my lesson about becoming too optimistic but if the players are actually willing to engage maybe some progress will be made.
If the NHLPA goes in asking that they get paid in full for this season, then negotiations will be ended by 10:05.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:06 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I will be very surprised if anything new comes from the PA tomorrow.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Montador had some pretty disparaging tweets. I highly doubt that the PA will be putting anything solid forth.

Closed Thread