HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

20 Greatest Red Wings (#9)

View Poll Results: Who is the #9 Red Wing of All-Time?
Kris Draper 2 4.88%
Sid Abel 10 24.39%
Norm Ullman 0 0%
Brendan Shanahan 9 21.95%
Marcel Dionne 0 0%
Syd Howe 0 0%
Pavel Datsyuk 10 24.39%
Henrik Zetterberg 5 12.20%
Larry Aurie 0 0%
Marty Barry 0 0%
Mickey Redmond 1 2.44%
Igor Larionov 1 2.44%
Bob Probert 0 0%
John Ogrodnick 0 0%
Tomas Holmstrom 0 0%
Jack Stewart 0 0%
Ebbie Goodfellow 0 0%
Bill Quackenbush 0 0%
Chris Chelios 1 2.44%
Vladimir Konstantinov 2 4.88%
Paul Coffey 0 0%
Dominik Hasek 0 0%
Chris Osgood 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-20-2012, 09:08 AM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
From a career standpoint obviously Lidstrom is not in the conversation, as he's in a different one. When Daniels made the comment, which I and many other fans agreed with, we're talking 2010 or maybe even 2011. You can make a case that Lidstrom was as if not more valuable simply from the positional standpoint, but Datsyuk has been Detroit's best player IMO.
Zetterberg has been comparable to or better than Datsyuk defensively for the entire time they've played together. He's also been equal or better at AS. Datsyuk's big offensive advantage? The power play is built around Datsyuk. So much so that in 08-09, Zetterberg was moved to the second unit without difficulty.

Quote:
As flashy as Datsyuk is, I don't think the average fan who considers himself a "hardcore hockey fan" truly understands just how subtle his game actually is. That might be the best part of his game these days. His hockey IQ - in how he reads the game offensively and defensively don't always show up in a fancy stickhandling sequence. His ability to be disruptive and responsible defensively without even touching the player/puck is one of my favorite parts to his game. And I'm not talking about when he comes away with a takeaway.

When people refer to Datsyuk as "flashy" it's easy to see why, but he's so much more than a flashy player that labeling him simply as that is a bit of a slap in the face. That'd be like labeling Miguel Cabrera as "swing for the fences" type of guy.
Datsyuk is a flashy player. But the reason that's brought in things such as a Datsyuk vs. Zetterberg discussion is because that flash will often decide people in favor of Datsyuk. See Dats' 2011 Selke nomination. Zetterberg was at least as deserving defensively, had actually played the whole year, and finished 8th in scoring.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

I'm surprised Sid Abel hasn't won this, frankly. No slight against Datsyuk or Shanahan, obviously.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
As flashy as Datsyuk is, I don't think the average fan who considers himself a "hardcore hockey fan" truly understands just how subtle his game actually is. That might be the best part of his game these days. His hockey IQ - in how he reads the game offensively and defensively don't always show up in a fancy stickhandling sequence. His ability to be disruptive and responsible defensively without even touching the player/puck is one of my favorite parts to his game. And I'm not talking about when he comes away with a takeaway.

When people refer to Datsyuk as "flashy" it's easy to see why, but he's so much more than a flashy player that labeling him simply as that is a bit of a slap in the face. That'd be like labeling Miguel Cabrera as "swing for the fences" type of guy.
There aren't whole lot of people around here that are average hockey fans and post. I think most of us understand the subtle assets of his game and what I am saying is that Zetterberg has all of those same assets. They are each better at certain things. Datsyuk has more talent, Zetterberg is more consistent for me outside of his first month of every season.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Peter Tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
There is a reason they gave his jersey to Nyquist.
Meech even had it for a while. I think Shanahan would have been a strong case for jersey retirement if he had stayed in Detroit (that also goes for Fedorov).

Peter Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tosh View Post
Meech even had it for a while. I think Shanahan would have been a strong case for jersey retirement if he had stayed in Detroit (that also goes for Fedorov).
Fedorov still deserves his jersey retired.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote